Splatoon

What are your guys opinions on the Carbon Roller? I honestly love it, its just so insanely fast, like an Inkbrush and a Roller combined :D
Also, I just got Splatoon a few days ago, already Level 20 and beat the boss haha, I'm excited for the new update in August, Splatoon is great!

EDIT: Rollers be like... THEY SEE ME ROLLIN, THEY HATIN

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i personally am not too fond of the carbon roller simply because its ink flick is too small to do anything with besides ambush other people, but i do have to acknowledge its potential in the hands of a practiced inkling. burst bombs + inkzooka are a cool sub + special combo that address some of its flaws, namely its inability to ink up walls and its horrendous range.

also, charger mains, what clothing combinations do you use, and what abilities do you recommend having?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I usually get the stuff to keep ink, the ninja squid so it's easy to get a surprise kill, quick span, and sometimes stuff for the special (usually the kraken for my kraken splat roller)

I generally think that carbon rollers are really only good in turf war and shouldn't be used in ranked battles where they're completely outclassed by the krak on and dynamo rollers, which are arguably the best weapons in the game. Trinitrotoluene i've been having a really hard time facing dynamo rollers on ranked just because of how good they are at killing. What is the best way to deal with dynamos, coming from one?

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
tazz, the best way to fight an experienced dynamo roller is to take them by surprise. it takes 47 frames (splatoon runs at 60 frames per second) for a dynamo roller to flick its ink and score a kill, so if you can catch them off-guard, you've effectively splatted them more often than not. while catching a dynamo off-guard may seem to be a simple task on paper, this is a bit more difficult in practice thanks to the incredible spatial awareness a good dynamo user must have to use the dynamo effectively and the possibility of them already activating their echolocator.

another way you could take a dynamo roller user on is to blitz and take them on in close combat; in this case, their only possible recourse is to run away or throw a splat bomb at their feet and try to take you down with them. alternatively, if you have a long-range special built up, you can use it to either splat them at a distance (inkzooka, bomb rush) or flush them out of their nests (killer wail, inkstrike). the close-range invincibility specials (bubbler, kraken) work if you'd prefer blitzing the dynamo since they can only run away in response. just make sure to have your special meter filled if you attempt this approach (and watch for pesky grates if you're using the kraken).

certain sub weapons are effective at neutralizing dynamos. at the forefront of these sub weapons is the disruptor, which heavily reduces movement speed and effectively removes the ability to jump for ~4 seconds. after throwing a disruptor, it becomes much easier to blitz and score a splat against a dynamo user. if you have good aim, you can also throw a splat bomb at the feet of a jumping dynamo. by the time they land, it should have already exploded, taking them down in the process.

chargers (minus the squiffers) and jet squelchers have better range than the dynamo, so if you're good at aiming and keeping your distance, you can shoot a dynamo down without having to worry about the almost-literal tidal wave that comes out from their flick.

---

against noobs using the dynamo like they would a splat or carbon roller (i.e.: just rolling without abusing the flick), just back off and shoot them. they are easy prey for anyone who is semi-competent at the game.

There is going to be a weapon which is literally just a bucket you use to throw out ink.....

Also, theres going to be a gattling gun which is cool.

camp triggerfish is out! i'm surprised at how fast nintendo is producint stages, hope it continues! For me it is a very interesting level, though i've only played on it on tower control mode (seems like it would be weird with how split it is compared to other stages. It's probably the most unique stage as nothing is really similar to it, what are your thoughts?

I think its a great and extremely unique stage, but half the time one team is taking over the other teams spawn, vice versa. Sniping is actually pretty good on it too. It's a really easy to map to get lots of points and EXP which is awesome. On a side note, I can't wait for the new Gatling gun!

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
What do you guys think about sub weapons? Imo they're not that great and the only ones worth using are the seeker, sprinkler and the suction bomb. You usually need to be at max ink to even use them, and then you have to go squid to recharge.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
All of the bombs are situational but all good (someone stuck in your ink? They'll probably die to a Burst Bomb! Trailed by a roller? Splat Bomb will get them! Same deal with seekers and suction bombs). Disruptors are absolutely dickish, reducing your mobility to almost nothing, and Splash Walls are pretty annoying too if your target has a longer range than you. The only one I don't really like is the Point Sensor - it shows you where one person is, yeah, but it pales in comparison to the Echolocator (you have to be near someone and not miss).

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
Arcticblast, i wouldn't write off the point sensor so quickly. while it may not be as good as the other sub weapons, it still has some utility in revealing foes hidden behind obstacles, and it doesn't drain too much from the ink tank compared to other sub weapons. it's rather helpful when advancing through port mackeral and other levels filled with choke points.

Last edited:

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
anyone who thinks sub weapons are sub-par hasn't played against an e-liter with burst bombs and four sub ink-savers before (this allows them to spam four in a row at close range), or seen people use the squid beacons or sprinkler wall as a shield in tower control, or used the splat bombs as a means of forcing the enemy to advance into fire or retreat from their position, or followed the seeker across the map for quick travel

pretty much all of the sub weapons are usable, you just have to be clever about them instead of throwing them out there haphazardly

(i do have to agree with arcticblast though, the point sensor is so inferior compared to the disruptor and the echolocator)

Last edited:
Just got to A+ and it was quite the journey. Personally I use the tentatek splattershot for both splat zones and tower control (although it is a bit better in tower control) the suction bombs are an above average sub which can force people off towers or away from zones. And the inkzooka imo is the best special in the game, it has such long range and a surprisingly wide hit area. I found myself getting at least 1-2 kills from it every time. I also mostly used the strategy where if you win a battle you leave and find a new group and if you lose you don't, this way you have higher chances to be put with a good (or better) team next time. I use tenacity, ninja squid, and stealth jump although I sometimes switch out stealth jump if I'm playing splat zones. Can't wait for the August updates with increased level caps and the addition of S and S+ ranks.

Oh also I don't think point sensors are the best but they aren't the worst either (I think squid beacons are the worst but that's just me). They are especially good on the custom blaster where you have such a big blast radius and since you know where the opposing inkling is you can just shoot in their general area and get an easy kill.

Relados

fractactical genius
nah squid beacons are pro tier if the user has a brain (although i don't know why i run into idiots who put them on the spawn point)

with several place further ahead on the map in safe corners your team can recover from deaths much faster and more reliably than super jumping to each other. aside from that, since you can put down three at a time you can place a few on the tower to defend yourself from certain weapons (doesn't help much against blasters or rollers, but chargers and regular guns suffer when they have to fire through a wall of beacons to get to you). your own shots go through friendly beacons, so it's like a smaller sprinkler wall

I swear, there are always those people that place beakins on the spawnpoint.

Seeiously though, a well-placed beakon can mean a lot for any team, as a single jump can decide a match on some cases.

Even outside of team support, the ability to place a beakon for yourself is very nice if you go on the offensive, as when you die, it gives you a place to jump back to, and go rught back into the fray.

One thing which I've noticed is that its a bad idea to try to guard your beakons, as instead of jumping to the beakons, your teammates jump to the guard instead, and it just makes the guard a real liability in some matches.

What are the best loadouts for spawn killing, and how are they unlocked? Probably some sub weapon bomb spamming?

You can't kill them in spawn; spawns have an invulnerable barrier around them, so they can *probably* shoot at you while you can't touch them.

While you cannot spawn kill, E-liters and Dynamo rollers are probably the best weapons to slow the opposing team down if you manage to conquer enough turf, Dynamo especially because it renders all of the enemy's effort to regain turf to escape useless and it has a much wider range than most rapid firing guns.

Seekers are pretty good if youre on the other side though, as they can provide a nice way to sneak past your spawn killers, making them focus their attention on you, and giving your teammates more breathing room (if they are good enough to regain lost turf and abuse the advantage lol).

what do you guys think are the best specials in the game? Kraken was really good, which is what I use, but it got nerfed pretty badly. I've seen all used to great effect, but my favorites to have on my team are bubbler, echolocator and other krakens, as those can really alter the course of the game.

Relados

fractactical genius
IMO kraken should be impossible to push back while it's on the ground (but easy while in the air)

right now it's just an inferior bubbler

I honestly feel as though Kraken is still easily the best special in the game. Followed by the bubbler, and maybe inkstrike/inkzooka. Kraken is just so insanely good, I mean yea it was 'nerfed' a bit, but it's nowhere near enough to keep it from being the best special by a long shot. Granted, it may be more so what Kraken is typically paired with that is swaying my opinion.

honestly, if you use the bubble the right way at the right time, it's easily the best special in the game in my opinion. If you share with 2-3 people even just a couple seconds of invincibility just wins games, as it is incredibly difficult to stop.

In my opinion before the patch the kraken was definitely number 1 or 2 in the specials category. But now since it can be pushed around by just shooting at it, if you try to kraken and then approach from more than a couple lines away, the enemy will most likely notice before you have the chance to get close and just shoot at you until they have a good path to swim away in. It is by no means the worst special but it is situational and you have to be very close or have the enemy not notice you (which in that case why not just kill them with your main weapon). Also one of the funniest things you can do with a kraken is stand on the tower in tower control and just sit there until it runs out and get some extra distance.

As for the current best specials, I would say the inkzooka, echolocator, and the bubbler

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
if you're talking about sheer clutch factor, i'd say the inkstrike takes the cake quite easily. being able to get guaranteed turf coverage (unless any nearby opponents are savvy enough to shoot into them!) and neutralize / capture splat zones from a reasonable distance is simply amazing. on top of all this, you can use it to flush enemies out of their nests (such as the ones easily made in moray towers) and create a bit of a smokescreen to make approaching your opponents a much less daunting task. while you do have to take yourself out of the game for ~2-3 seconds to launch it, the benefits gained from launching the inkstrike very much validate the time loss. the only mode where i'd say the inkstrike is not as valuable is in tower control, and even then, you can use a smokescreen-esque application to help protect teammates on the tower or force opponents off it.

bubblers are fun to use and incredibly dangerous in the hands of a skilled player. if said skilled player happens to have equally skilled teammates, then your best option is to just run away and try to stall out the bubbler's time limit before your opponents find and splat you. the only drawback is that you can shoot at them to physically force them back, but it really isn't that bad. the kraken isn't too bad; the fact that you never have to worry about being caught in your opponent's ink makes it ideal for (re-)capturing splat zones and riding the tower in tower control for the last stretch until it hits the goal point.

that being said, my personal favorite special (and the one i'm most wary of whenever it's used by any opponent) is the echolocator. being able to see where your opponents are for ~12 seconds is quite a big deal, considering how critical the element of surprise is in this game. just with the click of a stick, you and your teammates have an effective immunity to ambushes and flanking attempts, given that your teammates are somewhat competent at the game. echolocators also force a more defensive playstyle on opponents, unless they want to get splatted. on top of all that, the echolocator provides an instantaneous ink tank refill courtesy of having no activation animation, which effectively gives its user the ability to keep spreading ink without having to retreat into squid form for longer periods of time. while cold-blooded makes this special much less useful, it's not that common a sight among most players i've seen...yet. as the splatoon meta develops further, i think more players are going to realize the utility behind cold-blooded in keeping echolocators (as well as point sensors and haunt!) off their tail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)