Sprites that got worse

Post sprites that you think got worse throughout the generations, either the 2d sprite getting worse or the 2d to 3d transition being really bad.

For me Quagsire has to take the cake.

Look how happy this guy was during the 2d sprite era:

And then 3d came along and he's completely fried. Baked out of his mind. Higher than a kite. You can't even tell what the Pokemon is supposed to be. I don't even know what to compare Quagsire to, because everything I would compare it to has at least least one distinguishing feature, whereas Quagsire doesn't. Quagsire's feet look like they shouldn't even be there, like they came from another model or something. And why is he so bald? Did gamefreak dunk him in a vat of hair removal cream? The whole sprite is completely smooth and completely the same color. Seriously, how do you compare the happy pocket monster from above to this:

Last edited:
Post sprites that you think got worse throughout the generations, either the 2d sprite getting worse or the 2d to 3d transition being really bad.

For me Quagsire has to take the cake.

Look how happy this guy was during the 2d sprite era:

And then 3d came along and he's completely fried. Baked out of his mind. Higher than a kite. You can't even tell what the Pokemon is supposed to be. I don't even know what to compare it to, because everything I would compare it to has at least least one distinguishing feature, whereas Quagsire doesn't . Quagsire's feet look like they shouldn't even be there, like they came from another model or something. And why is he so bald? Did gamefreak dunk him in a vat of hair removal cream? The whole sprite is completely smooth and completely the same color. Seriously, how do you compare the happy pocket monster from above to this:
my signature agrees

scarf take: every sprite, except some of the flying types, got worse when they switched to models. some examples that come to mind:
Yeah I agree. I think the main problem isn't even that some of these did a bad job of representing the sprite, but moreso that all the sprites just lost all their personality in the transition

3d hippowdon look like the same thing as 2d hippowdon, but is so much more stale. there's no character in the sprite

same with steelix and scizor. the lack of movement means the loss of a lot of small but really important things

:rb/growlithe: :gs/growlithe: :rs/growlithe: :dp/growlithe: :bw/growlithe:
How do we go from the cool but cute classic sprites (the gsc one in particular is a person favourite) to
:xy/growlithe:
Derp Doggo. This sprite sucks, it's just like Quagsire, Typhlosion and Marshtomp. All personality has been stripped away, it's not cute or cool, never mind both. It's just derp.

Arcanine isn't as bad but you still go from
:rb/Arcanine: :gs/arcanine: :rs/Arcanine: :dp/Arcanine: :bw/Arcanine:

Sprites with poise, an interesting stance, some clear personality to
:xy/Arcanine:
Just a big dog basically

Also
:bw/darkrai: coming for you
:ss/darkrai: goth employee at McDonald's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)