Sprites that got worse

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Post sprites that you think got worse throughout the generations, either the 2d sprite getting worse or the 2d to 3d transition being really bad.

For me Quagsire has to take the cake.

Look how happy this guy was during the 2d sprite era:

And then 3d came along and he's completely fried. Baked out of his mind. Higher than a kite. You can't even tell what the Pokemon is supposed to be. I don't even know what to compare Quagsire to, because everything I would compare it to has at least least one distinguishing feature, whereas Quagsire doesn't. Quagsire's feet look like they shouldn't even be there, like they came from another model or something. And why is he so bald? Did gamefreak dunk him in a vat of hair removal cream? The whole sprite is completely smooth and completely the same color. Seriously, how do you compare the happy pocket monster from above to this:

Last edited:
Post sprites that you think got worse throughout the generations, either the 2d sprite getting worse or the 2d to 3d transition being really bad.

For me Quagsire has to take the cake.

Look how happy this guy was during the 2d sprite era:

And then 3d came along and he's completely fried. Baked out of his mind. Higher than a kite. You can't even tell what the Pokemon is supposed to be. I don't even know what to compare it to, because everything I would compare it to has at least least one distinguishing feature, whereas Quagsire doesn't . Quagsire's feet look like they shouldn't even be there, like they came from another model or something. And why is he so bald? Did gamefreak dunk him in a vat of hair removal cream? The whole sprite is completely smooth and completely the same color. Seriously, how do you compare the happy pocket monster from above to this:
my signature agrees

Sijih

game show genius
scarf take: every sprite, except some of the flying types, got worse when they switched to models. some examples that come to mind:
Yeah I agree. I think the main problem isn't even that some of these did a bad job of representing the sprite, but moreso that all the sprites just lost all their personality in the transition

3d hippowdon look like the same thing as 2d hippowdon, but is so much more stale. there's no character in the sprite

same with steelix and scizor. the lack of movement means the loss of a lot of small but really important things

D2TheW

Amadán
:rb/growlithe: :gs/growlithe: :rs/growlithe: :dp/growlithe: :bw/growlithe:
How do we go from the cool but cute classic sprites (the gsc one in particular is a person favourite) to
:xy/growlithe:
Derp Doggo. This sprite sucks, it's just like Quagsire, Typhlosion and Marshtomp. All personality has been stripped away, it's not cute or cool, never mind both. It's just derp.

Arcanine isn't as bad but you still go from
:rb/Arcanine: :gs/arcanine: :rs/Arcanine: :dp/Arcanine: :bw/Arcanine:

Sprites with poise, an interesting stance, some clear personality to
:xy/Arcanine:
Just a big dog basically

Also
:bw/darkrai: coming for you
:ss/darkrai: goth employee at McDonald's

Sijih

game show genius
I think 3D Groudon is about the same as ADV Groudon, but definitely worse than the others. What's really a shame is that PDon is just "what if he was yellow".

Also kind of funny how ADV Hypno creates more of the illusion of movement than modern 3D Hypno actually has movement.

Finally, why did they get rid of the highlighting around Haunter's hands? I only remembered it when I went to look at his DPP sprite just now, and it was pretty cool. I'm almost surprised that gamefreak didn't just make Gastly a purple sphere in 3D, with no weird fog or miasma around him.

Anyways, here's another:

Stupid fool, you thought you could even dare cross my path. Your journey ends now. I am the one. The final boss. The great wall. I will whip up winds so forceful and coordinated they will shred you and your pitiful allies into little bits of nothing. The fact you even considered entering my vision is an insult to me and for that you will pay. You can't touch me. I am inevitable and will hunt you down until you and your precious little Pokemon apologize with your lives. I spent years in a cave on some stranded island doing nothing but training. Other Pokemon bow down to me. The mere presence of me in your life has already put you above billions of other people. I will never be contained. I am the one unbreakable thing in the world. Others don't try because they will fail. Pokedex don't even mention me because no one man has had the courage to face me. I respect your strength and courage but this is the end of the line. There is no way back. Good luck, trainer, because you've already lost.

i learn how to fly :D​

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Stupid fool, you thought you could even dare cross my path. Your journey ends now. I am the one. The final boss. The great wall. I will whip up winds so forceful and coordinated they will shred you and your pitiful allies into little bits of nothing. The fact you even considered entering my vision is an insult to me and for that you will pay. You can't touch me. I am inevitable and will hunt you down until you and your precious little Pokemon apologize with your lives. I spent years in a cave on some stranded island doing nothing but training. Other Pokemon bow down to me. The mere presence of me in your life has already put you above billions of other people. I will never be contained. I am the one unbreakable thing in the world. Others don't try because they will fail. Pokedex don't even mention me because no one man has had the courage to face me. I respect your strength and courage but this is the end of the line. There is no way back. Good luck, trainer, because you've already lost.

i learn how to fly :D​
i can't stop thinking about sprite lugia's left wing. what is it trying to grab? a pencil? a teapot? an invisible vine for a tarzan routine?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)