Project SS DOU Teambuilding Competition v.2 - Week 15: Diancie (Voting Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There is a tie between Fespy and umbry, who both got 6 votes each, so I have to make a decision. The winner of this 4th week of Teambuilding Competition is... Umbry! Both teams could have easily won and it wasn't an easy decision, but Umbry's team has a couple of really cool sets and ideas that convinced me. Congratulations! Onto week 5...
:SS/kommo-o:

Kommo-o is a really cool Pokemon, great at setting up in front of a lot of very popular Pokemon and being a very threatning win condition. The Iron Defense set allows it to deal great amount of damage with Body Press, while also making it a very good response to Pokémon like Zygarde, Incineroar and Urshifu. The Clangerous Soul set can ne used to male Kommo-o outspeed pretty much everything in the metagame after a +1, and also deal a lot of damage thanks to the additional boost that Throat Spray grants to it. It suffers greatly against any Psychic spam and any kind of Fairy-Type, also suffering things like Kyurem-Black and Dragapult. Its your turn to build the best Kommo-o team!

The deadline is on 06/25 at 11:59 PM. EST

Last edited:
:ss/kommo-o: :ss/kartana: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/zygarde: :ss/zeraora: :ss/zapdos-galar:
This is a very basic and straightforward Offense structure. Hopefully people not as basic as me can come up with something cooler.

:kommo-o:
Kommo-o is viable because it matches up favorably into Zygarde / Urshifu-R / Kartana teams. Dragon is a suburb typing at the moment, giving it resistances to all of Fire, Water, Grass, and Electric. I choose the Clangorous Soul set because it seemed a lot more fun to play with in a fast paced metagame.
:kommo-o: :kartana: :rillaboom:
First things that came to mind were Tapu Fini and PsySpam, which the popular combination of Kartana and Rillaboom matches up well into. While Kommo-o can boost its Speed on its own, Tailwind is everywhere and I wanted to make sure I could match any opposing Speed control. Fake Out also gives Kommo-o space to boost, while in return it can (somewhat) handle Heatran.
:kommo-o: :kartana: :rillaboom: :zygarde:
Choice Band Zygarde further improves the PsySpam matchup and is overall insanely good right now. It gives me a much more reliable Heatran switch-in and benefits from Kartanas fast Tailwind incredibly well. It also does a fine job chipping Tapu Fini so Kommo-o can later go onto sweep, and it can also function as a late game cleaner if Kommo-o does the breaking first.
:kommo-o: :kartana: :rillaboom: :zygarde: :zeraora:
Wanted more for Tapu Fini, a Dragapult check, and a way to shut down opposing Speed Control. Zeraora checks all of these boxes, while additionally providing even more Fake Out support.
:kommo-o: :kartana: :rillaboom: :zygarde: :zeraora: :zapdos-galar:
Last slot needed pressure Kyurem-Black and also Grass-types, so this is one of the times where Zapdos-Galar is better than Urshifu-R. I felt like I had enough Speed -- Kommo-o's boosting, Kartana's Tailwind, Zeraora -- so I chose Choice Band over Choice Scarf to deal massive damage.

:throat-spray:
Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Aura Sphere
- Protect

Aura Sphere is chosen at the last move to OHKO both Heatran and Kartana at +2. Not really sure which ability is best, but I went with Overcoat to make Amoonguss set up fodder I suppose.

:scope-lens:
Kartana @ Scope Lens
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

Insane Pokemon.

:miracle-seed:
Rillaboom @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 148 HP / 104 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Superpower

104+ with Miracle Seed OHKOs Urshifu-R. Superpower is chosen on the last move to hit Kartana. 148 / 4 will always live one Choice Band Urshifu-R Close Combat. I think killing Urshifu-R is loads more important than surviving hits from Nihilego at the moment.

:sitrus-berry:
Zeraora @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Fast Taunt is really good into Zapdos and Kartana, while Knock Off gives me some resemblance of a Dragapult matchup.

:choice-band:
Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed

Partial Trapping is really good, and there's no Cresselia or Porygon2 around that you need to Toxic.

Galarian Form
:choice-band:
Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Steel Wing

Can't see myself clicking the fourth move on this Pokemon ever, but maybe I get to snipe any random Diancie.

Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Steel Wing

Kartana @ Scope Lens
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

Rillaboom @ Miracle Seed
EVs: 148 HP / 104 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Zeraora @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Overcoat
Timid Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Aura Sphere
- Protect

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed

Crunchman

Banned deucer.
:weezing-galar: :diancie: :volcanion: :rillaboom: :blastoise: :kommo-o:
I made this team some time back; I felt kommo-o really enjoyed being able to clang into a large portion of the metagame. I was also toying around with weezing tspike stack. The general strategy is to get up tspikes and weaken opponents until kommo-o can clean.

Galarian Weezing is running tspikes. Protect + Black Sludge lets it stay in play for a long time, often disrupting the abilities of opponents while giving you the option to activate yours whenever you want. G-Weezing's main stab move is sludge bomb; dazzling gleam and strange steam are all very valid options to catch zygarde/urshifu. Flamethrower hits Kartana and the stray Genesect. Weezing's typing is excellent for eating RIllaboom, Kartana, and Urshifu's Close Combat (you live surging strikes but try not to take those), and also allows you to protect in front of urshifu.

Diancie and Volcanion provide some speed control for the team; Once diancie sets up trick room and/or Volcanion gets up a sub, you can start chipping away at your opponents team. Not much more here. The Diancie spread has a bit less attack than the conventional spread; however you can invest the def evs back into attack and you'll find you have a couple of EVs to spare and 4 more SpDef, that's because the nature is +SpDef instead of +Atk so it's more efficient.

Rillaboom and Blastoise provide dual fake out support. Rillaboom is fast in order to snipe Heatran which can otherwise get out of hand with the weak positive speed control this team has. It is also the main answer to Tapu Fini, the biggest obstacle to Kommo-o sweeping. Blastoise helps Kommo-o get setup with redirection; also provides some help against setup and fullroom with roar. Blastoise synergizes well with Diancie as well as it can soak up steel attacks and basically just help setup trick room. Blastoise is running safety goggles for Amoonguss in particular, which is very nifty, but since Amoonguss has been on the downtrend lately can be swapped out for a sitrus berry.

Kommo-o is the star of the show and acts as a late game cleaner. Blastoise with fake out and follow me makes setup much easier, and Rillaboom's Grassy Terrain recovery helps keep Kommo-o healthy. The set is pretty standard; at times, it may be appropriate to go for more than one clangorous soul (grassy terrain allows for this) if your opponent has a scarf mon such as genesect or zapdos-galar. Thanks to Weezing, Diancie and Volcanion softening up opponent's teams Kommo-o has an easy time ohkoing everything. It should be noted that fairies basically hard wall kommo so they need to be dealt with as soon as possible.

:ss/ribombee::ss/zygarde::ss/heatran::ss/kommo-o::ss/kartana::ss/rillaboom:

BEEEEEEE

Ribombee is the most reliable speed control mon in the tier, being immune to fake out and outspeeding most of the meta. The combination of tailwind and webs is deadly, and dual stabs with spatk investment almost always stop it from being dead weight on the field. Side puff is also a neat tech to boost eruption's power or to help kommo set up.

Kommo turns the mirror into a near auto-win. There isn't a single mon out of the original 6 that can 2hko it, making it an *extremely* reliable defensive check. It also outspeeds kartana and everything slower, and does insane damage after an iron defense. Outside of the mirror, kommo helps with amoonguss, registeel, incin, beats kyube with twind/webs up, and resists tons of other common attacks. Iron defense kommo with webs support is an absolute beast in the endgame.

The team is also a ton of fun to use! Feel free to give it a try :)

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
:buzzwole: :nihilego: :rillaboom: :kommo-o: :volcanion: :kartana:
built this a while ago to try to matchup well against standard offense. has a lot of fun mons like nihilego and buzzwole. got grass spam to make sure your kommo-o doesn't lose to fini. you wanna make sure you position well with kart because if you can't match tw the team struggles to play from behind. sets are all max max and nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations to Fespy for winning the competition with his cool webs team! It's now time for a very unconventional Pokemon, I am talking about...

:SS/drifblim:

The balloon itself! I've seen this pokemon doing some work recently in seasonal, and i think it deserves recognition. This Pokemon has the ability Unburden, which allows it to double its Speed once the item is consumed. That means that it works very well with any terrain setter, since it can easily proc the seed of your choice and activate its ability. Drifblim can run a variety of moves, Will-o-Wisp, Strenght Sap, the fastest Tailwind in the metagame, and even Ally Switch as support moves. Shadow Ball is a solid attacking move that hits for neutral damage most of the meta and checks Dragapult. Lastly, dont forget its a Ghost-Type, making it immune to Fake Out. I cant wait to see what you guys come up with, this Pokemon is definitely fun to build around.

Deadline for the building phase is 07/02 at 11:59 PM. EST

Noelle

Trying my best
is a Community Contributor
No one else has posted their teams yet, so idk if i'm supposed to yet, but i'm done with mine, so i'm just gonna post it ig:

:drifblim: :tapu lele: :necrozma: :heatran: :urshifu: :kartana:

Importable: https://pokepast.es/b3a137447d997d31

This is a really generic psyspam team, there's not much to say about it. the general idea is to lead driftblim lele and get tailwind up early game and late game use kart to set tailwind and heatran and necrozma to sweep. I'll go over the individual members now, but because a lot of these sets are pretty generic there's not much to say about it

Driftblim: Early game tailwind setter/fast support. Evs are simple, max speed max hp. strength sap is there to heal, will o wisp cripples urshifu, kartana, rillaboom, and other physical attackers and activate heatran's flash fire, though they usually won't be on the field at the same time most games, and of course i had to add tailwind. shadow ball is just kinda there because taunt exists. Pretty simple, not much to say about it

Tapu Lele: Terrain Slave. Evs are also 252 252 4 because i'm trash. you have your stabs, taunt to stop trick room and opposing tailwind and then protect because.... duh. I chose lele because driftblim NEEDS to be led with a terrain setter, otherwise it's garbage, so said terrain setter needs to make up for the fact that driftblim has no offensive pressure. i originally used rillaboom for grass spam with kartana, but this meta does NOT need more Z strats offense teams, so i settled on psyspam because i actually really like psyspam and i don't see much of it on ladder. Indeedee has the advantage of expanding force, but i didn't pick it because terrain boosted psychic from lele does more than eforce without even factoring in the spread move multiplier, so lele it is. pretty sure that's all for lele, moving on

Necrozma: Mid/Late game sweeper/win condition. Necrozma's evs are weird and the only non 252 252 4 evs on the team. it was originally 252 208 52 because i saw it on a sample team once, but i took some evs out of hp and put them into speed so i outspeed zeraora in tailwind. I'm not entirely sure it's efficient, but i tested it and it works fine, so i'm going with it. the moveset is simple. meteor beam for obvious reasons, earth power on the off chance i run into the whole 2 relevant pokemon that are immune to eforce, both of which get slapped by +1 earth power, and eforce because terrain.

Kartana: Late game tailwind setter. It's a pretty standard set, not much to say about it. Scope lens is broken, pls ban.

Heatran: Mid/Late game win sweeper/win condition. I chose specs because i don't give a fuck that charcoal is technically optimal, i wanna do some fuckin damage, and specs flash fire eruption is some D A M A G E. again, the evs are literally just 252 252 4 because i'm trash. Eruption is the only move you're actually gonna click most of the time, the other moves are just there because i needed 3 other moves

Urshifu: Last but not least, we have urshifu. I also don't have much to say about shifu, i added it because fire water grass cores are cool. You have both of your stabs, ice punch because zygarde, and u turn because everyone else was using it.

That's kinda all i have to say for this team, i didn't save any replays unfortunately because i'm a dumbass. hopefully next week alolachu gets chosen because i want an excuse to make an alolachu team

Last edited:
i wasnt gonna post this but there arent many submissions

https://pokepast.es/eb9af9f52d08af5b

Drifblim is cool because your tailwind is uncontested but at the cost of being slightly passive on the field (shadow ball is piss weak) and being required to get rillaboom in before you can do much with it. Destiny bond is a cool idea to mitigate the first point, the opponent can either leave drifblim around for a long time as you just burn everything and set a second tailwind, or they try to ko you and you trade 1 for 1 which is usually quite favourable for grass spam offenses. I preferred this over strength sap because wisp does the same thing and drifblim doesnt really want to last forever, id rather trade a ko than keep healing esp when half the stuff i would strength sap just crits. ev spread outspeeds regieleki because why not and you arent 3hkod by band tarrows so can focus on burning/attacking the partner. also this:

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 8 HP / 252 Def Drifblim on a critical hit: 387-459 (87.3 - 103.6%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO

Eject button rillaboom, while unfavoured now over miracle seed or av, is useful here because you can throw a fake out off t1 and get hit and go straight on the offense, or force a pivot against passive leads with u turn. I chose protect over coverage/wood hammer because on grass spam teams rillaboom wants to stick around for a long time so a few extra turns of terrain recovery is nice. i wanted it to be somewhat bulky and somewhat fast so the spread has a nice grassy terrain recovery hp stat and outspeeds scarf gene after tw.

Heatran was the immediate choice of strong spread attacker to bring in on an eject button. good synergy type wise with rilla and you can side will o wisp to really make tran strong. timid charcoal still because of heatran mirrors even if i am getting tw first.

Very weak to kyub now so the last 3 slots need to help vs it. i might be able to snipe them with destiny bond but if not then i need to hit it hard with all of the last mons. Urshifu is a good start. helps cover opposing tran too as well as stuff like incin all of which is annoying for the first 3. scarf ice punch because i was feeling the pressure vs dpult and also it pranks kartanas that wanna trade tw which is nice because drifblim kinda lets that happen sometimes.

as touched on in the last submission. drifblim teams really need a second tailwind option. by nature, drifblim is either sitting around forever and eventually being useless or its dying on the 4th turn of tw (the optimal time to take a ko on it if possible). you need to be able to follow up and keep the pressure on because best believe the opp will be. zapdos latias togekiss etc are all far more sturdy and can set tw 2/3 times a game which is too much to handle for a lone drifblim. i was debating either kartana or naganadel but chose kart because i was a little scared of av kyurems more than dd (which can take eruptions far better and ep tran back) so wanted to go physical on it. naganadel might be better but i am still a little sceptical of its viability. i liked sash as an idea for opposing scarf ursh in the lategame and it gives kart an extra move vs kyub (and allows you to invest in attack to hit it harder).

final slot was hard. i wanted to have another switchin to heatran, check dpult and moltres-galar and help vs zapdos while dealing with kyub still. i thought about specs fini but decided it wasnt worth, sylveon also came to mind because it can sponge tran mvoes and yawn while hyper voice all the other issues. i decided on ttar though because it felt like it fit better, also helping vs incin which is useful because kartana cant crit. ice punch just gives me another out vs weird dragons and zygarde specifically.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
:drifblim::tapu-lele::necrozma::heatran::urshifu::kartana:
So, this team was built around Drifblim plus Psyspam, with Acro and Skill Swap for spice. Acro hits mainly Rillaboom quite hard, discouraging Terrain resets, while Skill Swap Unburden allows Lele and Necrozma to get another speed boost. Additionally, Skill Swap can be used to reset Terrain or steal abilities like Intimidate. Tran and Urshi make good use of Drifblim's Tailwind and address various weaknesses of our Psyspam core. Kart rounds out our team with a second Tailwind and some natural speed to help once Drifblim is spent. I think Drifblim's best place is this kind of hyperaggro Tailwind squad, so I made something to match.
Drifblim @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Tailwind
- Acrobatics
- Ally Switch
- Skill Swap

Tapu Lele @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 64 SpA / 152 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Necrozma @ Power Herb
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Expanding Force
- Meteor Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

Heatran @ Charcoal
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Life Orb
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

Kartana @ Scope Lens
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

:tapu_lele::drifblim::zygarde::heatran::kartana::urshifu-rapid-strike:
terrain setter + seed blim seems to be the best way to use drifblim and this team is no different. wisp and strength sap let you neuter physical mons while keeping your balloon healthy and hole free. while shadow ball lets it be a source of damage as it tends to sit on the field for a while. leles psychic terrain is the best terrain for blim imo as the boost from psychic seed gives it great special bulk while wisp keeps you strong on the physical side. leles access to the wicked powerful stab psychic boosted by terrain as well as the excellent moonblast coupled with taunt to stop any other speed control ensuring you win the tailwind war.

choice band zygarde and charcoal eruptran gives you incredible spread damage common on offensive teams such as this letting you blow holes in your opponent’s team. kartana functions as a secondary tailwind setter as well as a great source of single target damage with crit leaf blade, and cb urshifu rs fills the last slot with crit surging strikes and stab close combat to make sure rhe opponent has no reliable switch in to any damage this team can throw out.

I don't think Drifblim is actually very good on psyspam teams (or at all) so I wanted to try to make something fun. I wouldn't bring this team in a serious match but it definitely isn't horrible and can win.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Drifblim @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball
- Air Cutter

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- High Horsepower
- U-turn

Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Spirit Break
- Thunder Wave

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute
- Protect

Volcanion @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Protect

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Stomping Tantrum

This team centers around 2 (balloon, zygrade) arguably 3 (metagross) set up sweeper.

My decision is to use the Balloon as a CM attacker. Rilla obviously the best mon for the seed variant imo. Then I add this Grimmsnarl for additional bulky support and speed control. Next it is essential to add checks to dark and electric types that threaten the balloon. Zygrade does an excellent job of checking the relevant dark and electrics. Then volcanion for coverage. And finally Metagross to fill the steel role and for some diversified offensive coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)