Project SS DOU Teambuilding Competition v.2 - Week 15: Diancie (Voting Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations to Zeefable, she wins Week 4 with her Regidrago+Tsareena cool combo. We enter week 4 and it's time for what i think is a really cool Pokemon in the current metagame, Moltres-Galar!

:SS/Moltres-Galar:

This Pokemon matches well with the typical Kartana-Rillaboom-Urshifu builds, and is a great win condition with Agility and Berserk, boosting its Speed and boosting its Special Attack when its HP's get under 50%. Specs is also a viable set that deals more immediate damage, as opposed to having to lose 50% health to start dealing damage. It struggles to things like Diancie and Electric-Types, and it also doesn't like to switch into much stuff, so show us what you think is the best way to make Moltres-Galar work!

The deadline for the building phase is 06/18 at 11:59 PM. EST

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
let the record show I tried
Galarian Moltres SWEEP
:ss/moltres-galar::ss/tapu-fini::ss/kartana::ss/zygarde::ss/zapdos-galar::ss/incineroar:
I made this team around a sweeping Galarian Moltres becuase I literally couldn't think of anything else.

:moltres-galar:
I intitally went through a number of ideas for this thing. First was a Choice Scarf set with after you, which was bad for a number of reasons. Secondly I wanted to do something with Nasty Plot. Moltres has 90 speed.
I then recalled all those comfey+goltres players on ladder and decided to make it my own by adding Agility to the set so it wouldn't need to rely on tailwind to not get outsped by half of the tier. I wanted to find a way to activate both Berserk and Weakness Policy at the same time.

:moltres-galar::mew:
My first idea was Misty Explosion Mew. This idea died quick. I then went to Play Rough.

:moltres-galar::tapu-fini:
I then went to Tapu Fini for it's ability to bring Goltres down to 50% and proc Weakness Policy at the same time, along with Heal Pulse so Goltres won't be at 50% for all eternity (give it roost cowards!!!). I also chose fini becuase Goltres can kinda handle Kartana and Rillaboom!

:moltres-galar::tapu-fini::kartana:
Kartana was next to beat mons that stop Goltres in it's tracks like opposing Tapu Fini and Diancie, along with setting Tailiwind and other Kartana things.

At this stage I thought "hey this looks like a certain team i've used before......"

:moltres-galar::tapu-fini::kartana::zygarde::zapdos-galar::incineroar:
I'm unoriginal and lazy.
I droped Kyurem becuase Incineroar better patched up Moltres' poor physical bulk and could pivot ether Fini or Goltres in.
(yes this was my exact thought process)
I kinda had fun with the team!
(I had a replay here but it wasn't actually good oops)

please don't make fun of me

Built this team a long time ago before anybody used Metagross or Goltres. It's weird for sure, but surprisingly good. I used it to qualify for DLT.

:ss/diancie: :ss/landorus: :ss/metagross: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/volcanion: :ss/moltres-galar:

This team is great at always having the speed advantage vs opponents. Agility goltres and scarf lando outspeed almost everything in the tier, and metagross/volcanion/diancie form a solid TR core. The team matches up well vs most mons, but has trouble vs a select few (zygarde). Identifying those threats and trading 1-2 mons to take it out is usually enough to lock up a win.
https://pokepast.es/eacdd5ed6c8f66a0
Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 80 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Body Press
- Trick Room
- Protect

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 68 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Steel Roller
- Ice Punch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Bullet Punch

Rillaboom @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- Fake Out
- U-turn

Volcanion @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Substitute
- Protect

Moltres-Galar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fiery Wrath
- Air Slash
- Agility
- Protect

umbry

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
:moltres-galar: :rillaboom: :sylveon: :zeraora: :kartana: :urshifu-rapid-strike:
https://pokepast.es/e37fecf9b2d805b4

First core I came up with was pairing Moltres with Choice Band Rillaboom, I thought about using its wallbreaking potential to trade damage off on common grass resists such as Kyurem, Zapdos and Heatran so Rillaboom would have an easier time cleaning up the endgame. With that in mind, I decided to opt for a weakness policy set with agility to try and maximize its offensive value off its good base defensive stats (also because I didn't really like Choice Specs tbh), added Sylveon because qa+wpolicy is kinda cool and spread fairy+fire coverage should be good in offense meta, even though that leaves me pretty weak to heatran so I had to make sure everything else could ko or at least trade with it. Last 3 slots is basically me trying to account for the Kyurem matchup as well as adding some nice utility and speed control, CC adamant Zeraora helps chipping Kyurem and Incineroar and Taunt is great to keep opposing speed control in check. Focus Sash Kartana is a pretty cool item on HO/setup heavy teams because it allows you not to give up too much tempo, lastly we have Urshifu to have some sort of revenge killer that keeps applying pressure.

weekly replay!

Last edited:

Double Setup Moltres-G w/ Triple Fake Out

I pieced together this team with various sets I've been playing around with a couple weeks ago. Since then, I've used this team to win a week of BLT and also reached #1 on the ladder.
dou#1.png

The team plays very slow, relying on rotating fake outs to set up Urshifu or Heatran behind a substitute, or set up Moltres with agility and/or nasty plot. Having three electric weaknesses, it's biggest weakness is electric spam, but it is still fairly manageable as this team makes it very easy to control board position.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Leftovers
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 156 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Protect

- 4 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 156 HP / 12 Def Urshifu-Rapid Strike: 324-384 (85.2 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
- 252+ Atk Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 156 HP / 12 Def Urshifu-Rapid Strike in Grassy Terrain: 314-372 (82.6 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
- out speeds max speed neutral nature Heatran

A couple of issues I encountered while teambuilding with Urshifu-R and/or saw commonly in the suspect thread was that it commonly has to choice lock itself into a move, and that it is too frail. I wanted to create a set which allows Urshifu to last on the field for a long time, while avoiding being a sitting duck. This set allows Urshifu to continually set up substitutes while it's partner fakes out (meaning it's hard to stop it from getting behind a sub), and can almost always use surging strikes three or more times. Thanks to it's critting ability, it isn't crippled by an early intimidate and can still be a threat behind a sub without having to switch out.

Moltres-Galar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Fiery Wrath
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Protect

- +1 252+ SpA Necrozma Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Moltres-Galar: 318-376 (82.8 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- out speeds max speed boosting nature choice scarf Tapu Lele after agility
- calm nature for optimal EV usage, rest dumped in HP and defense

Moltres was a later addition to the team, but it's immunities to ground and psychic proved to be extremely valuable. I once again opted to go with a bulkier set, because the team focuses on longevity rather than just getting one powerful hit. Not having a flying move was annoying particularly against opposing Urshifu's, but otherwise I found the double setup moves to be very useful. Oftentimes, after setting up agility and 2-3 nasty plots with the help of rotating fake outs and follow me, Moltres is able to brute force through whole teams on it's own. Otherwise, it provides a useful switch in and solid check to psyspam teams, which would otherwise be difficult for this team.

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 92 Def / 128 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

- I forget what this spread does but I wanted to focus on bulk instead of full attack
- speed creeps Tapu Fini and other Rillaboom (for faster fake out)

There isn't too much to say about Rillaboom, it's one of the easiest pokemon to add to a team right now without thinking. On this team, it of course provides fake out and u-turn which are necessary for positioning and setting up. It also provides a strong grass type attack in wood hammer, which can take care of most things that resist surging strikes and eruption.

Blastoise @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Follow Me
- Flip Turn
- Life Dew

- Sample spread
- 4 Atk Miracle Seed Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Blastoise: 306-360 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Despite already having a "bulky" water type, the addition of Blastoise was necessary, as it is one of the only pokemon that offers the combination of fake out and follow me. I chose safety goggles because while I have two pokemon that can substitute in front of it, having two pokemon that can switch into it's spore (or in this case redirect it) was important as well. Flip turn allows blastoise to continually switch in and out to maintain favorable position. I chose life dew for the last slot because it helps to maintain Blastoise's longevity while also being able to help one of my other setup mons out of a sticky situation.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

This set may seem counter-intuitive because substitute takes away from eruption's power, but most of the time it's possible to get Heatran behind a substitute without taking any damage and restore it to almost full health with the combination of grassy terrain and leftovers. Getting it behind a sub means it's able to launch multiple high-powered eruptions. I originally tried flash cannon and earth power (not at the same time) in the other attacking slot, but I determined toxic was necessary for stalling through other bulky pokemon with recovery like Zapdos or Porygon2.

Hitmontop (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Triple Axel
- Sucker Punch

I wanted another fake out user, and intimidate would also useful for reducing damage to my setup pokemon. I feel that Hitmontop is a pretty slept on intimidate user, and it has pretty good coverage that gives it an advantage over Incineroar on this team. STAB close combat is able to hit threats like Heatran and Kartana super effectively. While Urshifu and Rillaboom can do a lot of damage to Zygarde, Hitmontop's triple axel is the only way to hit it super effectively (and also deals with Zapdos).

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Poltergeist
- Protect

Moltres-Galar @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Fiery Wrath
- Air Slash
- Protect

Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Blaze Kick

Articuno-Galar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Freezing Glare
- Air Slash
- Trick Room
- Protect

Kartana @ Scope Lens
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Protect

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Protect
I decided to use all of the birds. Then I pick Marowak to support all of these flying weaknesses. Then I add Kartana and Zygarde for Rock resists.

Shadowmonstr7

MUDA MUDA MUDA
:ss/tapu-fini: :ss/nihilego: :ss/kyurem-black: :ss/kartana: :ss/landorus-therian: :ss/moltres-galar:

Moltres Nihilego twind balance (pokepast.es)

Nihilego and Moltres-g's typings combine very well offensively. Nihilego can strike down things like kyub, zapdos, and incin for moltres while moltres hits everything else powerfully with its spread damage. Tapu fini helps with urshifu and zygarde and helps the matchup against more defensive teams. Landorus provides intimidate and stealth rocks; Kyub offers special defensive bulk and can surprise diancies with flash canon. Kartana adds twind and gives the team more speed.

:metagross: :tapu_fini: :zapdos: :dragapult: :kartana: :moltres-galar:
click team for paste
this team was built to try and beat common psyspam and kartana teams by combining specs pult with galarian moltres. kartana and zapdos offer speed control while metagross and kartana check common fairies that would otherwise threaten the two fairy weak mons the team is centered around. last mon fini is there for misty terrain as status can hurt this team a fair bit. occa metagross also lures heatran with stomping tantrum while surviving eruption.

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks everyone for your submissions, and im so sorry for the delay, i was outside all day and didnt have time. The voting phase will be shorter to keep the Monday to Sunday routine going, so please bare with me on this one :(

Team 1: :moltres-galar: :tapu-fini: :kartana: :zygarde: :zapdos-galar: :incineroar: by dnagerbadger
Team 2: :diancie: :landorus: :metagross: :rillaboom: :volcanion: :moltres-galar: by fespy
Team 3: :moltres-galar: :zapdos-galar: :politoed: :kingdra: :kyurem-black: :amoonguss: by zeefable
Team 4: :moltres-galar: :rillaboom: :sylveon: :zeraora: :kartana: :urshifu: by umbry
Team 5: :urshifu: :moltres-galar: :rillaboom: :Blastoise: :heatran: :hitmontop: by TTT444
Team 6: :marowak-alola: :moltres-galar: :zapdos-galar: :articuno-galar: :kartana: :zygarde: by Platinum God n1n1
Team 7: :tapu-fini: :nihilego: :kyurem-black: :kartana: :landorus-therian: :moltres-galar: by Shadowmonstr7
Team 8: :metagross: :tapu-fini: :zapdos: :dragapult: :kartana: :moltres-galar: by Grandmas Cookin

Voting ends on 06/20 at 11:59 PM. EST

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)