Project SS DOU Teambuilding Competition - Week 15: New Kids on the Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Even leaving it open for the extra week didn't get many votes. Congrats to Mishimono though for winning!

Some background on this week: I came up with this when Incin was still dominating the metagame. It's pretty clearly not as good as it was before, but if I did something like, say, Melmetal, it would probably lead to shit like mono-Fire being submitted. So I'm going to stick with this one!

Week 14: What's new, Pussycat?

- Every Pokemon must have at least 1 attack that is Super-Effective vs Incineroar (Water, Fighting, Ground, Rock)
- Every type that is SE vs Incineroar must be used at least once.

Submissions end Friday or something, voting ends whenever I feel like it :D

:octillery: Water Spout :incineroar: Drain Punch :gallade: Close Combat:melmetal: High Horsepower :dusclops: Rock Tomb :togekiss: Aura Sphere
Modification of a VGC 2013 team whose Nugget Bridge article was named "Fire the octillery" by TeeJay. The original team competed on US nationals that year. All credit to his research for togekiss, octillery, dusclops and gallade.

This team is mainly a trick room team which intends to take advantage of octillery's and melmetal's damage output to severely dent the opponent. However both togekiss and gallade are mid speed and thus, can serve outside of tr, furthermore octillery being faster than most hard tr attackers means it can serve as a hard counter if out of trick room. Apart from the more usual dusclops, the other tr setter is gallade, which still underspeeds most normal threads and provides more offenses than other tr setters, her bulk isn't amazing so if you lead with her intending on setting tr, you can use eject button togekiss to follow me, and get in for free an big threat, specially octillery, whose water spout would otherwise suffer. Lastly we have Incineroar, and since he is the suspect of the challenge, I believe explaining to you why he is good would be a waste of time, just mention I am using the niche drain punch I used to use last gen to meet the conditions of the challenge.

Last edited:
but if I did something like, say, Melmetal, it would probably lead to shit like mono-Fire being submitted
fuck you tennisace

:charizard::torkoal::ninetales::incineroar::darmanitan::centiskorch:

Charizard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Heat Wave
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Ninetales @ Power Herb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Heat Wave
- Dig
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Incineroar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Centiskorch @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Mild Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Scald
- Protect
dis bitch really thought he could stop monofire
GenOne for the idea

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
:mew: :toxapex: :zeraora: :kyurem: :scrafty: :togekiss:
Demon Mew is a horrible set that I've been excited to build around, and Body Press is super effective against Incin so why not. The set kind of needs TSpike support to work, and Toxapex hits Incin with the second type + absorbs opposing TSpike for Mew. Zeraora and Scrafty offer Fake Out to stall for poison chip and provide setup turns, Kyurem and Togekiss offer some speed control. Zeraora best supports Mew if it can take out TTar, so CC plays double duty in handling that + satisfying the rules. My Kyurem was initially a Mamoswine, which offered SR support, but the rain matchup was abysmal so Kyurem was kind of necessary. Scrafty has Head Smash, which will take out uninvested Togekiss after any sort of chip and also take on Zard. Togekiss's Tailwind, redirection, and Life Dew was huge for my middling speed mons, Mew's setup, and the triple Vest users respectively. Ancient Power is the only truly suboptimal move choice needed to fit for this challenge, but 20% to raise all stats can't be *that* bad right? Only one Protect user is pretty dangerous but Fake Out is basically a Protect that deals damage anyway.

I submitted a good team I still don't see the joke
I mean sorry if you actually designed it with competitive use in mind but you have to admit the only reason to post it was to piss off tennisace.
P.S. : without having tried your team I don't know if it's an exception to the rule, but in general not using too many pokemon who share weaknesses and or share type is usually bad for the team's viability, it's like rule n°1.

:rillaboom::pelipper::dracovish::ludicolo::incineroar::araquanid:

Rillaboom is my choice of starter, one I expect will be the most popular in this competition, and I have to say he has surprised me, after melmetal's ban there aren't many good steel types around to tank grass STAB, and as such it has become a really powerfull attacking type, realising that I wanted to take further advantage of grassy terrain, so I picked ludicolo which led me to rain offense, sure, it doesn't particulary enjoy fighting venusaur but almost all mons have some way of dealing with him, either supereffective moves or fake out alike. In order to take good care of torkoal and ease the tr matchup I added Araquanid, who I had been waiting for a good excuse to use for a while now. Despite special attackers being better against torkoal, the really important move for him is wide guard which only allows him to use earth power, or the extremely rare solar beam, plus, liquidation trashes offensive tr setter which are for the most part specially defensive. For defensive tr setters there's , you guessed it, taunt Incineroar, nothing special going on with this.
Lastly we have the rain setter in pelipper with the standard scald, hurricane tailwind set, and a scarf dracovish for good measure.

Last edited:

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 224 Atk / 252 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drum Beating
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Protect

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- High Horsepower
- Substitute
- Protect

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Follow Me

Rotom-Mow @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 104 SpD / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Aura Sphere
- Protect

I was most interested in Rillaboom, as Cinderace is in a weird Speed spot and Inteleon didn't seem to have enough SpA.
The team is built on multiple win conditions, like Kommo-O set-up, Subbed Excadrill, +2 Rotom, or just keeping Tailwind up.
In supporting these conditions, Rillaboom is a helpful support. Grassy Terrain helps Kommo-O and Excadrill HP from their set-up health drops, it can be a FO lead, help with Speed control, and a slower U-Turn'er; Assault Vest compliments its bulk.
Tyranitar's Smooth Stone was chosen because I felt that sand was not up long enough for Exca. I may play Exca too safely than others, so I would suggest Sitrus Berry or possibly Weakness Policy on TTar. I do not think that Togekiss gets as much value out of Follow Me as previous gens or metas, as there are more mons that outright threaten it (thinking Exca, Rotom's, high-dmg weather spread moves, etc.), so maybe Nasty Plot over FM or Dazzling Gleam over Heat Wave. Finally, Kommo-O might appreciate Flash Cannon or Flamethrower more than Aura Sphere.
Enjoy.

Last edited:

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
I might add sprites later.
So, let's start from the top. I present to y'all, what I like to call, GrassySunHO. The concept behind this team was to take advantage of Grassy Terrain, Sun, and Hyper Offense. I started with Ninetales, obviously, with it being a Sun team. I gave Ninetales Nasty Plot because it allows Ninetales to potentially sweep while Sun is active. Safety Goggles allows Ninetales to set-up in front of Venusaur (or Milotic [if you like playing risky]), and not have to worry about being slept. The next mon I added was Charizard. I wanted this Charizard to be unconventional so that it could catch the opponent off-guard. That being said, I gave it Ancient Power and Choice Scarf. Ancient Power can be used to counter Pelipper (or another Charizard), and Choice Scarf allows it to outspeed anything that doesn't have its speed boosted.

My third mon was Venusaur. Instead of relying on sleep spam, I wanted this Venusaur to be a powerhouse. Earth Power hits Fire-type mons that threaten Venusaur and Growth allows Venusaur to become the monster it needs to be. Weakness Policy is to insure that Venusaur gets some type of boost, but I really did it because I like the idea of Growth and Weakness Policy stacking stat boosts (+4). However, you can also give Venusaur Life Orb since it has Giga Drain to heal itself. The fourth mon I chose was the lovely Tsareena. Tbh, Tsareena is standard for me to use nowadays. It completely shuts down priority, like Fake Out, and then she can counter those bulky and pesky Water-type mons at the same time. U-Turn allows Tsareena to do chip damage, pivot, and put yourself in a better position by sending out another mon. Solar Blade was chosen because it's a Sun team, and it does so much damage. Sitrus Berry is for if HJK fails.

My fifth mon was Rillaboom. I decided to use Rillaboom this week because it's my fav out of Cinderace (2nd) and Inteleon (3rd). Rillaboom is the whole reason this team is considered GrassySunHO. With Grassy Surge, Rillaboom is, essentially, helping all of its teammates with Grass-type moves (even Ninetales and Charizard). U-Turn allows it to do the same thing as Tsareena, but Rillaboom also has Fake Out to buy time (or waste time [xD]). I decided to go with Miracle Seed and Drum Beating because that's all Rillaboom really needs to wreck shit. Drum Beating is a speed control move, so even if Rillaboom doesn't OHKO a mon, that mon is still gonna be slower than Rillaboom's partners. I really didn't wanna do AV like everybody else, which allowed Rillaboom to run Protect. My sixth, and last mon, was Whimsicott. It wouldn't be HO without Whimsicott. Priority Tailwind allows Whimsicott to ensure its teammates always move first. I shouldn't have to explain the rest. Anyways, I had fun building this team. I hope y'all enjoy it as much as I do. :)
Don't play with fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)