Project SS NU Matchmaking: Week 23 - Sirfetch'd

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Winners

:heart:
:heart:
User
Pokemon
Submission
Silvally-Water (10 votes)
Togedemaru (10 votes)
Rotom-Frost (7 votes)

Wow, you guys are just awesome! Not going to lie, I was getting excited at how close the votes ended up. Two people getting 10 votes is amazing. It makes the competition close!!!

Silvally-Water - 10
Togedemaru - 10
Rotom-Frost - 7
Wishiwashi - 3
Rapidash-G - 1
Sandaconda - 1

ALERT!!! ALERT!!! THIS IS A BONUS POINTS WEEK!!!! I REPEAT, THIS IS A BONUS POINTS WEEK!!!!

That's right you guys, I will be awarding 2x points this week to the winners. It is usually 2 points to 1st placers and 1 point to 2nd placers. Now it's 4 points and 2 points respectively. Let's see what you guys come up with the following mon.........

Week 5
The mon that needs some love this time is............

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Shadow Ball
- Rest / Trick Room

Cofagrigus is undoubtedly one of the most bulky mons we have and it can be a pain to deal with. It's always running Body Press and usually Iron Defense to power it up. However, it cannot always hit things reliably even with it and STAB Shadow Ball. How will you guys go about remedying this? Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Reserving Silvally-Dark
silvally-dark.gif

Silvally-Dark @ Dark Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Psychic Fangs
- U-turn

As we all know, Fighting-types spell trouble for Dark-types, and Silvally-Dark is no exception. Even though Toxicroak and co. are slower, they have ways of beating Silvally-Dark in spite of that, either through priority (Toxicroak and Hitmonchan) or a Choice Scarf (Sawk.)

Enter Cofagrigus, who laughs at their pathetic attempts to harm his intangible and ghastly body. He can hold off these musclebound meatheads with ease, even stomaching Sawk's Knock Off thanks to Iron Defense. In combination with Rest, those Fighters will have no choice but to give up and faint from repeated hits, giving Silvally-Dark a nice shot at doing some real damage. In return, Silvally-Dark provides a singular (but very important) benefit: stopping Indeedee. With both Cofagrigus and Silvally-Dark working together from the shadows, Indeedee can never safely use its STAB Psychic without the risk of getting set up on. Cofagrigus greatly appreciates this, as even its majestic figure can't take a Psychic from Indeedee well.

Last edited:

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
reserving clef

:ss/Clefairy:
Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

As we all know, Clefairy can be paired with anything, especially Cofagrigus. If your Cofagrigus has TR over Rest, then Clef is able to use Wish and Teleport to switch into Cofa safely to heal it. Cofa also acts as a Physical wall while Clef is a Special wall. You can switch into the other if you know your opponent will use a move strong against the current Mon. Clef can also switch into someone using Toxic to save Cofa from not being able to set up ID/TR and go to town. They also help with weaknesses; Clef resists Dark while being neutral to Ghost (which is usually only used with Shadow Ball, which is a plus) while Cofa resists Poison and, similarly to Clef with Ghost, most Steel moves are Physical.

Last edited:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
1589051274803.png

Perrserker @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Seed Bomb
- U-turn

Cofagrigus's boosting antics will mean nothing to Unaware Mons like Quagsire and Fairy types like Alcremie and Clef. You know, the mons that are terrified of the concept of a 110 base Attacking Steel-type behemoth coming in on them wit hthe ability to rip them to pieces, and the ability to pivot into mons that the coffin can take advantage of. In return, Cofagrigus can set up on Fighting types that can outspeed and dispatch Perrserker. "But DatSplash, you say, can't Quag come in on the cat with its incredible bulk and resistance to steel?" Nothing that a quad-effective Seed Bomb can't fix, my friend.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Reserving indeedee

Indeedee - #876 - Serebii.net Pokédex

Indeedee-F (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock / Trick
- Mystical Fire / Healing Wish

Indeedee is able to lure in many of the Pokemon that might be switch-ins to Cofagrigus, which is a pretty short list. Clefairy gets easily 2HKOd by Psyshock or crippled with Trick, Alcremie is 2HKOd, and Dark-types such as Skuntank and Sivlally-Dark [despite them not really being checks to Cofag] can be lured in and 2HKOd by Dazzling Gleam. Quagsire and Rotom-Fan are two Cofag checks not lured in by Indeedee, but Indeedee can freely switch into them and use them as an opportunity to wallbreak. Pokemon that can come in on Indeedee with a correct prediction, such as Ferroseed, are set-up bait for Cofagrigus.

In return, some teams may have no way to severely damage Cofagrigus except for a Dark-type; Cofagrigus can severely damage or KO them with Body Press, making it pretty much free for Indeedee to spam its terrain-boosted Psychic-type attacks.

Finally, if you choose to give up one of the other moves, Indeedee-F can also run Healing Wish to restore Cofagrigus back to full health, curing its status and giving it another chance to sweep.

Last edited:

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Reserving alcremie

:ss/alcremie:

Alcremie can choose from a variety of sets, which all synergize well with the coffin; thats the reason I don't put a specific set here. Alcremie can take on the Dark-types and especially special attackers that try to take advantage of Cofagrigus' weaker special defense like Drampa and use them to set up Calm Mind. Alcremie also really likes the support of Toxic Spikes to cripple opposing special walls, if Cofagrigus runs it.
In return, Cofagrigus is generelly good at taking on the Poison-types and (most) Steel-types for Alcremie. It also acts as a nice physical wall so I guess there is also synergy. Cofagrigus can also run Energy Ball which really helps dealing with Quagsire if needed to.
In the end, Alcreamie is a more offensive Clefairy that has the benefit of not fearing Knock Off to much.

Last edited:
reserving drampa
1589052432331.png

:ss/drampa:

Drampa is a dominating special force in NU and achieves a really nice immunity synergy with Cofag. Cofag can switch into big fighting moves such as Close combats from various threats for Drampa for free, while Drampa can switch freely into Shadow Balls and Hex's for Cofag. Drampa can sport energy ball to elimiate Quag which this variant of Cofagrigus struggles with. Besides liking long walks on the beach both of these mons are very slow and powerful and can fit well on a trick room team together.

Despite an overall excellent synergy and adding some serious firepower to a team, these two would appreciate a teammate that would help them both deal with the omnipresent clefairy.

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

I think Croak makes for a great partner for Cofag since Fairy-types like Clefairy and Alcremie just wall Body Press even at +6 Defense and they can recover all that HP right back with their special bulk that is always invested. This is where Croak comes in. One little Nasty Plot and those fairies will be running scared. Croak can also double as a Dark beater to take less pressure off of Cofag.

Potential Matches
User
Pokemon
Submission
Toxicroak

Vote for 2 potential matches! Voting ends Wednesday.

Darkvally, Alcremie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)