Project SS NU Team Building Competition (Quagsire)

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
GW - 6
Ho3nConfirm3d - 5
Rabia - 2
Riolu1582 - 1
xerovis - 1
Corthius - 0
ILiekMudkipz_ - 0

Congratulations to GW for winning this week of the team building competition! Your team will be added to the hall of fame momentarily.

Heres the squad
:liepard::drednaw: :ludicolo: :rotom-frost::clefairy::sandaconda:

Liepard @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Play Rough

Drednaw @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Liquidation
- Crunch

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Rotom-Frost @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 100 Def / 56 SpA / 100 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Blizzard

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Teleport
- Protect
- Moonblast

Rapidash-Galar @ Life Orb
Ability: Pastel Veil
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Zen Headbutt
- High Horsepower

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Glare

We have Liepard, the main pokemon of the team. It can do some things, such as set rain and take out opposing Liepards that run Sunny Day. Knock Off is crucial for the set, as it is Liepard's STAB Move and of course... well... it's Knock Off. Its coverage moves beat most of the pokemon that would normally check it, such as Hitmonchan and Alcremie.

Drednaw is a Rain Sweeper. It's pretty self explanitory, to be honest.

Ludicolo is another rain sweeper. I gave it Weather Ball instead of Hydro Pump because Weather Ball in rain is better. The rest of the set is basic Ludicolo things.

Rotom-Frost is there to kill the checks/counters of Drednaw and Ludicolo, such as Silvally-Grass for Drednaw. Thunder also gets 100% Accuracy in rain, so theres that. Oh yeah, it has defog too. Is also the main dragon type check for the team.

Clefairy is there to do Clefairy things, such as Wish Pass.

Sandaconda gives the team a crucial electric immunity and can set Stealth Rock.

TEAM HAS BEEN EDITED A BIT

Last edited:

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
What is even more heat than rain? Triple cat (semi-)SUN!
:ss/Liepard::ss/Leafeon::ss/Flareon::ss/Qwilfish::ss/Unfezant::ss/Sandaconda:

Liepard @ Heat Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Gunk Shot

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Solar Blade
- X-Scissor
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Flareon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Liquidation
- Explosion
- Thunder Wave

Unfezant @ Choice Band
Ability: Super Luck
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Quick Attack

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Glare

Manual weather. Whats more niche and gimmick?
The general idea was to run a lategame sweeping Leafeon + Liepard to set the sun. I added Flareon as a fire-type over Vulpix to have more firepower (no pun intended), better bulk + wish support and the rest of the team doesn't rely on sun, so I don't really need another setter. Qwilfish is the perfect next member, finishing the fire-water-grass-core and the grass-dark-poison-core + providing Spikes for the team. Unfezant adds a nice immunity to ground and functions as a strong pivot via U-Turn. Choice Band is used over other items, to act as a decent breaker for Leafeon since they have some similar checks. Lastly Sandaconda provides an electric immunity and Stealth Rock for the team with the addion of checking physical attackers.

:Liepard:
Sunny Day and Knock Off should be pretty self explanatory. The third slot can be changed to Copycat, that is just preference. Encore allows me to have a better matchup against set up sweeper like Dubwool (who kinda 6-0s my team lol), Toxicroak and Silvally (not dark tho). For the last slot I chose Gunk Shot to hit fairy-types and Abomasnow (who is a real pain in the ass to face). Heat Rock maximizes the turns Leafeon can sweep.

:Leafeon:
Solar Blade is Leafeon's bread and butter. Being an amazing 125 base power STAB-attack, this hits really hard. Knock Off + X-Scissor are coverage moves to hit mons that you actually don't KO at +2 with Solar Blade, notably grass-types like Appletun, Eldegoss and Abomasnow. With Swords Dance, Leafeon can really push it's attacks over the edge to ensure KOs even on mons that resist Solar Blade.

:Flareon:
Wish + Protect is the best recovery Flareon got and provides Wish for the team which helps Unfezant and Sandaconda to stay healthy. Lava Plume gets boosted by the sun and is the STAB of choice for it's chance to burn. Toxic gives Flareon a general better matchup against walls like Appletun and Quagsire. Flareon also adds a nice immunity to fire.

:Qwilfish:
With Intimidate and Rocky Helmet, Qwilfish is perfect for chipping physical attackers. Spikes really help Leafeon to sweep through the opposing team in the lategame. Thunder Wave is a nice way to slow down the opposing team allowing e.g. Sandaconda to outspeed Toxicroak. Liquidation is the STAB of choice and has a nice chance to lower the defense of the opponent. For the last slot I chose Explosion. That allows Qwilfish to not get walled by Toxicroak and also dealing some big damage to stuff that would resist Liquidation.

:Unfezant:
Choice Band Brave Bird hits like a truck. Unfezant has the ability to really chip on the opposing mons to help Leafeon sweep. U-Turn allows Unfezant to become an incredibly good pivot and breaker. Quick Attack only seems useful on Choice Band sets since it is pretty weak. I swapped Facade for Defog since you don't really click Facade anyway and Defog at least gives you some form of removal.

:Sandaconda:
Last but not least, Sandaconda provides Stealth Rock for the team which help to chip the opposing team even further. Glare acts the same as Thunder Wave on Qwilfish. Earthquake is the main STAB attack for Sandaconda. The reason I chose Rock Tomb over Stone Edge is that I hate to miss my attacks and Rock Tomb gives the most utility and accuracy, allowing Sandaconda to break potential Focus Sash.
vote for the heat

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor

Standard spike-stacking with Liepard. Liepard provides a nice pivot with a powerful STAB Knock Off that can remove opposing pokemons items. Scarf Arctovish provides a nice breaker for the team, Garbodor provides spikes support while also checking Toxicroaks, Stunfisk provides rocks and a nice counter to Indeedee, Clef is a nice pivot that can deal with Malamar while also providing wish support, and finally Gourgeist-Small provides speed control and a nice emergency check to a lot of mons thanks to Explosion.

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:ss/Liepard: :ss/Togedemaru: :ss/silvally-water: :ss/rotom-fan: :ss/cofagrigus: :ss/sawk:

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb/U-Turn
- Psych Up
- Gunk Shot

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Psychic Fangs
- Grass Pledge

Rotom-Fan @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

Sawk @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

So the description...
The point is to try to get an opposing Pokemon to set up, have Rotom use Defog, sac Rotom or use V switch and go into Liepard in which case you Psych Up. You will live everything that is not Crustle because of Sash and then you sweep with Knock Off and Gunk Shot. Instead of it being weather based, I thought about Psych Up and made this abomination. Cofag, Rotom, and Silvally help tank hits. Togedemaru acts as a lead and can help take down a few threats of Liepard. Sawk also scares away Scarf mons so that Liepard doesn't die.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1101511545 Forgot about the one replay I had where it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hopefully not too late

Similar concept to one posted above, spikes just pair well with a fast strong attacker. I like the immediate power of CB Liepard so I went with the set and the coverage to hit most things. Qwilfish was chosen as the spiker of choice for the sake of variety and to keep stuff like silvally water, silvally fire and rapidash at bay. Set has been chosen cause abomasnow is a big ass threat so killing it after rocks damage is really neat tbh. Silvally Dragon really likes spikes to clean late-game. STAB Draco Meteor to avoid recoil damage from rocky helmet in nifty situations against garbodor or opposing qwilfish, can be iron head too but didnt face an alcremie and clefairy can be managed rather well with the offensive pressure so idk, avoiding the recoil has made a difference.

I like having a great breaker for early game so nasty plot rotom-frost was the breaker of choice cause of the real helpful ground immunity and punishing stuff with will-o-wisp. Last 2 to complete were stunfisk-galar provides neat resistances to play around threats and snap trap to force chip damage into key mons and remove some opposing hazard control like rotom-fan, scarf gourgeist for speed control and panic button with explosion and really likes spikes too so power whip can be very spammable. Neat meta.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll post one for this as well, thanks to MrAldo for the bump:

:liepard: :wishiwashi-school: :piloswine: :garbodor: :sawk: :rapidash:
https://pokepast.es/6b013acd05e35700

CB Liepard hits hard af and also has great coverage that allows you to surprise stuff like Alcremie/Clefairy on the switch. Seed Bomb hits the bulky Grounds that people might often try to switch into Liepard, Psycho Cut hits Toxicroak and Garbodor, also common switch-ins to its Dark-type attacks, and Sucker Punch is priority; any of these moves work in Seed Bomb's place.

Wishiwashi, Piloswine, and Garbodor form an excellent balance core that sticks around for a million years. Wishiwashi can also U-Turn to bring in threats such as Liepard and the other two offensive Pokemon on my team, while Garbodor and PIloswine set entry hazards. Combined, this core checks nearly all of the meta decently well, letting me bring in two more heavy hitters in the last slots.

Choice Scarf Sawk can effectively clean out weakened teams or those lacking a fighting resist, and Liepard is able to weaken the Poison-types and Fairy-types that can stop its late-game cleaning. SD Rapidash is a very cool new Pokemon that appreciates Wishiwashi's ability to bring it in vs Grass types and Liepard's ability to bring it in vs Fairy types. Flame Charge > High Horsepower is an option to make it easier for Rapidash to get to +2, boost its speed, and sweep late-game through even teams with defensive Pokemon. Flame Charge can also be run over Swords Dance, since the rest of the team does a great job at chipping the opposing team; however, Dash's breaking power is also appreciated. It wants to run like 8 moves, haha, so give the team a test and then pick and choose what moves you like to run on it.

Enjoy :blobthumbsup:

(Dark)
Rotom @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Scald
- Toxic

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
EVs: 172 HP / 84 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Glare
- Stealth Rock

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Barbs
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Zing Zap
- Nuzzle

Eldegoss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin
- Pollen Puff
- Sleep Powder

Silvally-Dark @ Dark Memory
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Psychic Fangs
- Flame Charge

Hello NU, I have here a team I built around Specs Hex Rotom! I've been wanting to use a Specs Hex ghost type ever since I seen Dragapult use it in OU. I initially tried Frosslass but it's way to weak, and when Rotom dropped I knew it would be a perfect abuser of Specs Hex since it has a chance to 2hko Clefairy. To support Rotom, I'm using a bunch of mons that inflict status. I really like the synergy of Qwilfish and Rotom because Qwilfish is good at spreading status and setting spikes, while Rotom abuses the status and spinblocks. I chose Qwilfish over Garbodor because I needed a solid switch in to Rapidash since I'm using Eldegoss. On Eldegoss I'm running a little spdef so I can scout Indeedee more comfortably. On Sandaconda I'm running max speed so I can get damage on Abomasnow which is a big threat to this team, especially Specs variants since I don't have a way of OHKO'ing it and lack a switch in. I'm also running some HP so I can switch into Silvally-Forms atleast once. I chose Togedemaru as the scarfer because it's honestly just the best scarfer we got, and spreading paras just makes Specs Hex Rotom even better. I rounded the team off with Silvally-Dark because the team needed a psychic resist. It's especially important to have an Indeedee switch in if using a choiced Rotom. Silvally-Dark appreciates the hazard support this team provides and has an easy time sweeping. Overall, this is a very solid team and I hope you guys enjoy using it! I got #1 on the ladder with this team. I'll provide some replays so you guys can get an idea of how to use this team.
SSNU6-5.PNG

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:ss/Rotom::ss/Silvally-Ghost::ss/Gurdurr::ss/Skuntank::ss/Piloswine::ss/Flapple:

Rotom @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Silvally-Ghost @ Ghost Memory
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Flame Charge

hit or miss (Flapple) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Grav Apple
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Defog

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 56 Def / 252 SpA / 52 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Ice Shard

The concept of the team is simple; ghost spam. With the recent drops of both Rotom & Silvally-Ghost, ghost spam got two excellent offensive abuser. So this team is build around Choice Specs-Rotom and Swords Dance-Silvally-Ghost. Both, Ghostvally and Rotom, have Dark-types as checks but in my experience, Rotom's best check is opposing Darkvally (at lest to switch into the Shadow Ball) while Ghostvally really struggles to break past Persian-Alola. Assuming that no or only really trashy teams use both of these on the same team, its not hard to bait in the one they use with the Ghost that has the better matchup (e.g. Darkvally switches into Ghostvally [coverage and you have the 50-50 to be faster the next round]; Persian-Alola switches into Rotom). I know there are other Dark-types but from my experience these two are the best. With the two Ghosts dropped their best friend in Gurdurr. It is amazing at checking if not countering opposing Dark-types with its bulk. I kinda like using Defog on Gurdurr since it has favorable matchup against some rockers like Piloswine and Stunfisk-Galar. Skuntank provides another Dark-resist and helps breaking ClefGoss-Cores that could be annoying to the rest of the team. Skuntank's Dark-typing also paires really well with the Ghosts and Gurdurr since Indeedee-F, which is a huge threat to Gurdurr and may see a rise in usage, can't just click mindless STABs. I chose Piloswine as the rocker to ease up the matchup against Ice-types. Shoutout to Davon who originally passed a team with Superpower Piloswine. It really helps against Rotom-Frost and Abomasnow. Flapple rounds of the team, adding a nice Ground-resist and some speed control even tho I have plenty of priority user on the team.
:Rotom: --> :Silvally:dark
252 SpA Choice Specs Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Silvally-Dark: 82-97 (24.7 - 29.3%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

:Rotom: --> :Persian-Alola:
252 SpA Choice Specs Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Persian-Alola: 111-132 (40.9 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

:Rotom: --> :Liepard:
252 SpA Choice Specs Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Liepard: 135-160 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:Rotom: --> :Skuntank:
252 SpA Choice Specs Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Skuntank: 118-139 (34 - 40%) -- 38.3% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

:Silvally:ghost --> :Silvally:dark
252 Atk Silvally-Ghost Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Dark: 82-97 (24.7 - 29.3%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

:Silvally:ghost --> :Persian-Alola:
252 Atk Silvally-Ghost Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 60-71 (22.1 - 26.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

:Silvally:ghost --> :Liepard:
252 Atk Silvally-Ghost Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Liepard: 137-162 (50.9 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:Silvally:ghost --> :Skutank:
252 Atk Silvally-Ghost Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Skuntank: 109-129 (31.4 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Replay:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1128906281
So its my team > Davon's team :] (please be aware that this is a joke)

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
:gurdurr: :rotom: :stunfisk-galar: :qwilfish: :eldegoss: :silvally:

import: https://pokepast.es/202acf5f0e385ecd

description: built this first week of the drops and it was serviceable enough and still looks like it could function reasonably well. i wanted to use gurdurr and felt specs rotom would be a solid breaker to pair with it to threaten stuff like cofa, garb, and qwil, and then i went with galarfisk as a generally good defensive mon that provides a sturdier flying resist and a psychic check (this was much more relevant when indd was in the tier). qwil was added as a fire resist and because spikes are cool, while goss was my hazard control so i had a good water resist and spinner. lastly was silv-dark as a secondary sweeper + ghost resist. iron head > psyfangs because fairy lure

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Hey all! Looks like I'm now in charge of the teambuilding comp. Yay! Everything will be the same, and I'm just picking up where we left off.

Here's my late submission for this last round:

:rotom: :thwackey: :lanturn: :silvally: (fire) :mawile: :abomasnow:

This is another take on my original Grassy Terrain team where I just switch around some rolls to see how it works. All in all, I believe my original (which can be found on the NP thread) is a bit better, but this still has some merit to it. Rotom in particular is really fun with Grassy Seed support, as it used entirely for an immunity to Poltergeist. The def boost is marginally helpful against Grounds like Sandaconda and Piloswine, which will help as its main role is to provide Defog on top of special coverage. The main Grassy Glide abuser is Abomasnow, which helps target Flying-types that resist it thanks to Ice Shard, and can set up Swords Dance and sweep with its dual STAB priority, or wallbreak with a boosted Wood Hammer. Mawhile is just a phys wall and Steel-type I felt was needed to help deal with Scyther and chip things down in general (gterrain healing isn't helping in that regard). Thwacky, Sivlally-Fire, and Lanturn all appreciate gterrian and help be pivots to bring in Abomasnow to have a chance to sweep.

Voting Phase

Davon:
(Dark)
Corthius::rotom: :silvally:(Ghost) :skuntank: :piloswine: :flapple::gurdurr:
Rabia::rotom: :gurdurr: :stunfisk-galar: :qwilfish: :eldegoss: :silvally: (Dark)
Ho3n: :rotom: :thwackey: :lanturn: :silvally: (Fire) :mawile: :abomasnow:

Voting ends Friday night, and a new slate will be up Monday morning. I hope everyone accepts my condolences to the submitted teams that were built in a pre-DLC meta, and would advise everyone voting to keep that in mind. Next week will be on time!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)