Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn/Thunder Punch
This pokemon can act as the team's premier breaker as in conjunction with slowking's future sight it has almost no switch ins, it also has many opportunities to come in and fire its attacks because of all the dark and ground types that dragapult and melmetal force to switch in such as hippowdon and bisharp

reserving cm clef

:ss/clefable:

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpA / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Soft-Boiled

pretty simple concept, cm clef provides the team with an obligatory wincon. spdef evs avoid the 2hko from specs dragapult shadow ball to allow it to consistently accumulate HP and be somewhat physically bulky on the flipside, twave melmetal is a beneficial addition to clef as well

Last edited:
View attachment 335482 @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

We need a ground immune Pokémon. Landorus-t is the perfect fit for the team since it checks Pokémon that are a very big threat to the team such as garchomp, landorus-t, excadrill, and zeraora. It provides the team with knock off which helps the team's breakers in weakening pokemon such as mandibuzz, toxapex, clefable, etc. Stealth rocks do not need an explanation and give chip to any pokemon which makes them easier to wear down. This is defensive landorus-t to help check pokemon better and this team has enough speed control and breaking power so it can afford to be more passive
That's what I like to see. I've been pushing him since the beginning. (Toxic over U-turn is worth mentioning)

Many great partners have been listed so I'm going for an off-beat choice here:

:sm/tapu bulu:
Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech / Wood Hammer
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Tapu Bulu interacts wierdly well with Melmetal and Dragapult.
The former hampers opposing speed and crippling shared checks and counters like the metal birds and bulkarona and receives grassy terrain's recovery and earthquake-weakening. Pult receives a great powerhouse wallbreaker and an offensive check to its own checks (zeraora, scarf lando-t, scarf hydreigon) as well as OHKOing Mandibuzz with a boosted Stone Edge: this interaction is the reason I picked bulu over its otherwise vastly superior rival rillaboom. CC is extremely powerful fighting coverage for other steel types like heatran and ferrothorn. Horn Leech provides longevity at the cost of power, while Wood Hammer does the exact opposite, so you pick your poison with this one.
As one who's pushed Lando-T you may look at me a bit confused by this choice, but defensive Lando-T can run Earth Power and still be effective.
Bulu also appreciates pivoting from Slowking and Dragapult and its lowkey really dangerous for slower teams with such a phenomenal partner in TW Pads Melmetal.

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello there :afrostar:, sorry about the delay!! I've been a bit busy

Really cool submissions!!
Time to vote,

The voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). To vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 partner options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all partners, the last partner(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. Additionally, don't vote for your own submission. If you have any questions, by all means, ask me.

A.:kyurem:by Dr Ya Yeet
Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Draco Meteor /Earth Power
- Focus Blast/Earth Power
B.:landorus-therian: by HydreigonTheChild
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
C. :tapu-lele: by VTaxi
Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt
D. :urshifu-rapid-strike: by Shadesan
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn/Thunder Punch
E. :clefable: by t045t3r
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpA / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Soft-Boiled
F. :tapu-bulu: by SLDR
Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech / Wood Hammer
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Voting period is 48 hours, Happy Voting!

d = c > f > everything else

voting for my own submission is scummy
cool submissions! team rn needs more breaking power and i personally feel like itd be a good route to go in so we dont have to handle that situation at the end. breaking power issues in teambuilding is mostly a black plague of all things so the builder may have to end up scrapping the entire build to start over. i heavily support d (and c of course) because of the general status of the breakers and capacity to debunk so many walls :psyglad:

D > C > B > A = E

Absolutely agree with t04st3r here, breaking power is needed here. I like Shifu a lot because it pummels ttar, bliss and tran for pult among other things and is arguably the scariest abuser of futureport. In a similar vein, Lele lures in those three + Ferrothorn/SpDef corvi and can wear them down, although the sinergy with futureport is a bit less straightforward. Not the biggest fan of Kyurem because it exacerbates the blissey problem. Cm clef is cool but it doesn't really have sinergy with the rest of the team and since we still hazard and hazard removal I dont know if we can fit it into the team.
My boy lando-t has a big shot of making it next round due to how Koko and Zeraora thrash this team so I'm not concerned if it doesn't make it in this round, it will pop up also in the next round and I will claim my moral victory (wow fitting landot on a team, what an accomplishment)

Now that I think about it, CB Weavile was a shout: appreciates melmetal crippling corvi/skarm/ferro, appreciates futureport, cheeky ghost resist and pult/SD chomp check

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey there :afrostar:
voting period is over, lets count the votes!!
D=C>F>A=B=E
D>C>B>A=E=F
B=D>F>A>E=C
D>C>A=B=E=F
F>E>C>A>B=D

And the winner for this slot is.....
:urshifu-rapid-strike: by Shadesan!!! Congratulations!!!!
Onto the next slot!!
The team so far~ :melmetal::slowking::dragapult::urshifu-rapid-strike:
You have 72 to post a submission for the 5th slot, Happy Posting!

Lando-T (inclining towards SpDef but I have to think about it a bit more, so feel free to take Phys Def Lando-T if you think it's better)

So I though about this quite a bit and there is no solution that fully satisfied me. Lando-T is pretty mandatory also because it's highly customizable to do exactly what this team needs. One way or another, this team ends up being weak to something. Specs Pult and Grass offense check + Ground and Electric immunities + Stealth Rock and Defog can't be covered in two slots unless you compress a lot.
Landorus-T + mixed def Mandibuzz/Corviknight is literally the only thing you can do to have all of that covered and those two have already been listed. Then again, this duo (especially lando-t mandi) still leaves some issues.
Lando+Mandi comp leaves Melmetal with defensive duties by virtue of being the only Steel type of the team, which is something you don't really want to do with that set. It's a good thing we have Urshifu to double up on some threats because we have to accept being forced to offensively check threats like Weavile, Bisharp (which is annoying since those two threaten Dragapult quite a bit) and Specs Kyurem (SubRoost is dealt by Slowking eating an unboosted Freeze Dry and Teleporting to Melmetal/Pult). Shifu itself is quite difficult to handle as it has no reason not to click Surging Strikes and SpDef Slowking doesn't appreciate it. Also, we don't threaten Shifu outside of specs draco which is terrible. Fini also seems pretty annoying as we can only brute force through it with Melmetal and just wear it down repeatedly. Also, nothing really switches into it besides Melmetal who gets easily chipped. SpDef corvi relieves pressure from melmetal in dealing with steel type duties, but it's a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none check to pult, grass types and dark types and has to run brave bird AND body press to do that somewhat reliably.

For these reasons, we either overload Lando-T by making it the defogger AND stealth rocker, thus having space to add something like helmet tangrowth to deal with grasses, shifu, bisharp and fini to an extent while helping against zeraora and ground types; OR we use defog lando-t + rocks chople berry ferrothorn as a catch-all check to a dumb amount of threats, punishing surging strikes, dealing w fini, checking the darks with body press, somewhat checking the grasses with the combination of gyro ball/body press, iron barbs and chople berry. we lose a lot of defensive responses to specs pult though.

spdef bisharp w rocks is heat amazing vs pult and checks sd weavile, but it doesn't provide much of anything against the grasses which commonly carry fighting type coverage.

tl;dr we have to accept using melmetal+shifu as offensive checks to a lot of mons that threaten shadow ball-locked dragapult, mostly weavile, sharp and shifu if we want to use lando+mandi, which is the most ideal defensive partnership to deal with all of the things we have left OR we overload lando-t with hazard duties to free up a slot OR we get a middle of the road patch with a stealth rock steel type, able to either deal w grasses/fini/surging strikes or deal w pult/weavile kinda.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!! Hope you're feeling good!

Rn this team is looking very good , def more of a balance than bulky offense. We have a breaker, tools to help that breaker, arguably the best offensive mon in the tier in dragapult, who can clean up with ease. Of course, this team has drawbacks like no electric immunity, no ground immunity, and no hazards. You already know, Landorus-Therian is my pick for the next spot, phys def for the most part.
1620136221463.png

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Toxic/Knock Off

As already mentioned, it provides the team with a ground and an elec immunity, as well as rocks, pivoting,a check to most phys attackers , and basically doing Landorus things. I opt for toxic over knock as it cripples key Pokemon like opposing Landorus, Hippowdon, dnite, etc. The spdef allows it to guaranteed live 3 gleams from pivot koko, although it could be swapped out for some speed.
An alternative spread of 252 HP,164 Def,92 Spe could be used with an impish nature, as it helps it outspeed Magnezone, aegi, bisharp etc.
Landorus would be our premier switch in to attackers like zeraora, who otherwise runs through the team like little else. It also gives a fighting resistance to cover Melmetal's weakness. It also appreciates metal's ability to deal with corv and skarm. It can also toxic Tangrowth, who has to be killed by pult otherwise, and if it's av it can live and knock off pult, which would completely ruin it. It toxics stuff for pult to clean up late game with Hex, so that's another positive point.

252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Landorus-Therian: 121-144 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

(Ps - run hashtags to make Bronzong come in the VR, #BellBongBronzong)
:pimp:

Last edited:
:bw/mandibuzz:
Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 156 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
Mandibuzz acts as the primary ghostbuster for this team eating various shadow balls which is crucial in such a pult infested meta, especially on a team that has such a hard time pivoting around them, it goes more than that though, as mandibuzz provides defog support which helps relieve hazard pressure for these hard hitting wallbreakers especially from spikes which gives more opportunities for said pokemon to smash the opposing team

92 defense EVs with a bold nature lets mandibuzz always avoid a 2hko from a choice band kartana smart strike while 12 speed lets mandi outspeed azumaril which allows mandi to foul play it if it chooses to belly drum, and special bulk investement survives 2 draco meteors from dragapult which allows mandi to switch into pult throughout a game without having to waste turns healing with roost

:ferrothorn: @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn is able to lay down spikes and knock the opponent to soften the team up for the many breakers in this team in specs pult, banded urshifu, and pads melmetal. Ferrothorn synergizes well with slowking as slowking takes fire attacks targetted at it from heatran, victini, and fighting attacks from urshifu-r, rillaboom, and torn-t. Ferrothorn also provides the team with a better matchup against zeraora since it resist its stabs and threatens it back with knock off. The team provides ferrothorn with pivoting moves so it has more oppurtunities to set spikes, and takes advantage of the spikes that are set. Combined with future sight slowking and spikes not many pokemon are going to have a fun time switching into the main breakers of the team. SpD Ferro is able to take shadow ball/hex from dragapult, stabs from tapu lele and other special attackers more comfortably.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Hello there :afrostar:, sorry about the delay!! I've been a bit busy

Really cool submissions!!
Time to vote,

The voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). To vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 partner options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all partners, the last partner(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. Additionally, don't vote for your own submission. If you have any questions, by all means, ask me.

A. Specially defensive :Landorus-Therian: by SLDR

B. Physically defensive :landorus-Therian: by Dr Ya Yeet
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Knock Off

C. :Mandibuzz: by Shadesan
Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 156 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

D. :Ferrothorn: by HydreigonTheChild
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Voting period is 48 hours, Happy Voting!

B>D>C

Lando+Ferro seems to be the natural conclusion.
Lando is basically mandatory, however you could make a case for either Mandibuzz or Ferrothorn.
Buzz is better against Kartana and pult, ferro is better against Kyurem and can punish otherwise free surging strikes. SpDef corvi is a mix of both but idk.

Hey everyone!! Hope you're feeling good!

Rn this team is looking very good , def more of a balance than bulky offense. We have a breaker, tools to help that breaker, arguably the best offensive mon in the tier in dragapult, who can clean up with ease. Of course, this team has drawbacks, like no hazard control, so that has to be changed. Also , currently we can't switch into Rill and Kartana, which are big threats in the current metagame. If Lando gets worn down, which it often does as a matter of fact, we have no phys def to speak of. Hence, I suggest
1621327643455.png

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird

This metal bird gives us reliable defog , a switch in to the above mentioned kart and boom, as well as bisharp and weavile, dragonite, Garchomp, etc, who are all big threats that we are unable to check rn. The spread is standard, with absolute minimum speed to get the slowest u turn possible. Rocky helmet to punish u turn from Landorus, opposing corv, and to perhaps convince opposing ursh to not spam surging strikes.
It has its weaknesses covered by Lando+slowking, and it covers their weaknesses for them, so they have good defensive synergy. Another important thing is that all these 3 can pivot, so getting in pult or ursh or melm isn't gonna be too hard.

(Ps- I think we should alter the slowking set to make it full spdef, it's just better in the meta and it helps us switch into things like lele and king and tran)
Edit - Changed the ev spread to the one in the analysis, helps save off pult better.

Last edited:
:bw/bisharp:
Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
Bisharp gives the team a solid wincon, set-up sweeper, and a late-game cleaner. This team also lacks a good check to Dragapult, and Bisharp resists both of Dragapult’s STAB-moves. Bisharp is also able to block Defog, helping hazards stay on the other side of the field.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)