Project SS OU Teambuilding Competition - Not hosted anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
The voting phase is over! Apologies for the delay. These are the votes:
B>A=C=D
B>C>D
B>A=C=D
A>D>C
C>A=B=D
B>A>C
B>C>A>D
B>A=C=D
B>A=C=D
B>A=C=D
B>A>C>D
If we input this here, the resulting winner is (overwhelmingly) team B by ShootingStarmie. Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the archive soon.

Week 14: Tyranitar

Tyranitar has returned to OU and he's back with a vengeance. You have one week to submit a team featuring it. Good luck!​

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
CB Tyranitar Offense

1599511688004.png
1599511698836.png
1599511705522.png
1599511711981.png
1599511719528.png
1599511725931.png

Team Building Process:
Team has to feature Tyranitar, so in it goes
1599507503993.png

I wanted to use physical sweepers to take advantage of the holes Tyranitar creates, so Azumarill and Scizor make for excellent partners, and share great synergy (Azumarill struggles with bulky Grass-types, Scizor struggles with Volcarona).
1599507825769.png
1599507833047.png
1599507848564.png

Water and Electric-types were hard to switch into, and the team lacked a Ground resist. Rillaboom made perfect sense, and benefits from Scizor and Tyranitar's ability to check Togekiss.
1599507993619.png
1599508007404.png
1599508046415.png
1599508052067.png

The basic structure of the team was in place, and I had two slots to fill. Aegislash has great synergy with Azumarill and Tyranitar, and benefits from Mandibuzz, Corviknight, and Skarmory being weakened by Tyranitar.
1599508268482.png
1599508273829.png
1599508279518.png
1599508286569.png
1599508292145.png

Last but not least, the team needs hazards. I used Mew in the last team, so I actively avoided it for this team. Necrozma recently caught my attention as an offensive Stealth Rock user, as it matches up well with common Defog users.
1599508441247.png
1599508447461.png
1599508506330.png
1599508511586.png
1599508516512.png
1599508521659.png

Team was decent, but I felt slightly weak to certain threats like Excadrill and Urshifu. I did try a few variations of this team, with Conkeldurr > Aegislash, and also tried Terrakion > Necrozma, but overall I settled with Kommo-o > Necrozma. Kommo-o provides SR and acts as a blanket check to threats I struggled with like Zeraora, Urshifu, and Gengar.
1599509386846.png
1599509392124.png
1599509400196.png
1599509408010.png
1599509413888.png
1599509432816.png
Description / How to use:
With the rise of SpDef Tyranitar and Sand Rush Excadrill, I expect(ed) the majority of teams posted here to be balance sand teams. I wanted to separate myself from the teams I expect to be posted this week, and SpDef Tyranitar doesn't suit my overall offensive style. Choice Band Tyranitar is a slept on threat, 2HKOing the best defensive pokes like Clefable and Toxapex, while also being bulky enough to check what its needed to (Togekiss, Dragapult etc). I wanted to utilize this by pairing Tyranitar with physical sweepers that can clean up weakened teams that only rely on Clefable and Toxapex to wall such sweepers.

The general game plan for this team is to set up Stealth Rocks ASAP, switch into resisted attacks thanks to the overall decent bulk / synergy of the team, and proceed to wall break / sweep depending on the situation. While the team isn't necessarily fast, the team is packed with a bunch of priority to make up for the lack of speed, and the extra bulk is always appreciated when switching into resisted attacks. You'll notice every single member is a physical attacker, and 4 out of 6 can set up. This team was intentionally designed this way, as the objective is to overwhelm the opponent and sweep, so special attackers weren't necessary, making special walls like Blissey and Tyranitar a non issue.

I could go into detail about the synergy of the team, but in summary the team has great typing synergy, and each Pokemon compliments each other by weakening their respective shared counters. A certain mindset is required when playing this kind of team. As such, knowing when to sacrifice certain Pokemon to open up a wall, double switching, and a long term game plan are key elements to succeed with this team. Thanks to the immense power, prediction is actually a lot less important than you think, but still required of course for some situations. Try your best to find what is most likely to sweep, what’s stopping that sweep, and how to overcome that hurdle with your other team mates.

No team is perfect, so watch out for these threats when using this team and play around accordingly:

Sand Rush Excadrill, Zeraora, Urshifu, Sash Alakazam, Will-O-Wisp Gengar, Life Orb Clefable
Importable:
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Aqua Tail

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Dual Wingbeat

Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat

Kommo-o @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Last edited:

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
206 (offense ft. mixed expert belt tyranitar)

team assembly:

the centerpiece of this round of the team building competition was tyranitar, so it was an obvious starting point for this team. spdef tyranitar sets seem to be the flavor of the month for tyranitar, so i also originally started with cb tyranitar as a way to make my team pop out from the expected balance teams with spdef tyranitar + sand rush excadrill cores. after talking with shootingstarmie and seeing the raw numbers it did to most of ou, i knew i had to at least give it a shot.

a breaker isn't complete without its sweepers though, so i opted for dragon dance dragapult as this team's primary sweeper. as for why i picked dragapult, it's because it holds a special place in my heart as my favorite gen 8 newcomer.

rillaboom + hawlucha is very similar to the tapu + hawlucha cores commonly seen in gen 7, so this was something kinda familiar to me. i even used a tapu + hawlucha core in the last team i had posted in the rmt subforum a bit less than 2 years ago. both team members provide additional speed control in the form of grassy glide and an unburden boost respectively, which is always handy to have against most forms of offense.

i then settled on excadrill as this team's fifth member due to needing something capable of laying down sneaky pebbles reliably and quickly. from what i've seen while assembling this team, it looked like an effective suicide lead thanks to its ability to forcibly clear opposing entry hazards while also being able to ko itself reliably with steel beam, thus denying hazard removal and providing a free opportunity for a teammate to enter the field relatively unscathed.

the most common defensive core in ou that i saw was clefable + toxapex. additionally, a sturdy flying-type (usually one of mandibuzz, corviknight, or skarmory) accompanied them. i wanted instant pressure on them, so toxtricity was an obvious pick. it also helped give this team a buffer against zeraora, which tends to give offensive teams trouble. with that, draft 1 of this team was complete.

while at first i was happy with how this team performed, even under my rusty command, i couldn't help but feel that it felt too inconsistent for my liking. cb tyranitar, while very powerful, didn't fit this team as well as i had liked it to. as such, i took this team's basic skeleton (which still felt solid) and made a couple of changes. the first and second changes came as a bundle: i elected to try out a mixed expert belt set on tyranitar to capitalize on those expecting either the usual spdef or cb tyranitar sets. this change also allowed me to put sneaky pebbles on tyranitar, thus rendering excadrill redundant. with this in mind, i swapped excadrill out for crawdaunt, which provided me an additional source of priority as well as sheer wallbreaking potential. with these changes in place, dragon dance dragapult felt a bit redundant since hawlucha was usually the threat doing most of the late-game cleaning. as a result, i changed dragapult from a dragon dancer to the more bog-standard hex attacker, which gave my team a more traditional form of speed control that doesn't require it to be choice-locked. finally, i replaced swords dance and life orb on rillaboom with u-turn and choice band respectively. this gave me another threat that can pivot around and get its teammates in safely, all while having more immediate power. with that, the team in its current state was completed!

description:
in case you're wondering why this washed-up smogon alumnus is posting a team here, you can thank ShootingStarmie for convincing me to give this competition a go. he's been extremely helpful in getting me back into this game and is a stellar dude overall. this is my first time building an actual team in almost 2 years, so please bear with me. i am very rusty.

this is a pretty basic offensive team. its overall gameplan is to set up pebbles, identify which team member has the best chances at sweeping later in the game, and work to ensure conditions are as good as possible for the identified sweeper to do its job. tyranitar acts as both a pebbles setter and pivot to get the set-up sweepers in safely. the sand it brings also provides a nice disruption to other weather-based offensive teams, which tend to be difficult match-ups for opposing offense. hawlucha usually is the sweeper of choice against opposing offense and balance teams, but you can easily get sweeps going with any of the set-up sweepers or rillaboom. speaking of rillaboom, its access to a grassy terrain-boosted grassy glide with choice band to potentiate it even further, dragapult's natural speed, and crawdaunt's aqua jet are the usual ways of ensuring faster threats don't get too far out of hand. against fatter squads, crawdaunt and toxtricity become very important due to their ability to make the fat cores present on those teams squirm. ditto kinda sucks, but it can be mitigated through solid play. remember: don't give room for opposing offensive sweepers to set up on you or you will have a bad time.

about the tyranitar: this is an expert belt lure set designed to beat the most common defoggers and other steel-types that like switching into tyranitar. 212 spe evs on tyranitar let it speed creep 56 spe mandibuzz and anything slower while the hp + spd investments guarantee that tyranitar will live a bug buzz from +1 volcarona at full health. 160 spa evs + expert belt guarantee a 2hko on corviknight after it switches into 1 round of sneaky pebbles. these evs and choice of moves can probably be optimized even further, so make of that what you will.

if you know where these nicknames + team name come from, you get special kudos from me.

importable:
OPAL (Tyranitar) (F) @ Expert Belt
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP / 56 Atk / 160 SpA / 40 SpD / 212 Spe
Mild Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

ETERNAL SEPTEMBER (Dragapult) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 68 Atk / 188 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hex
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Dragon Darts

DEFINITION (Rillaboom) (F) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- U-turn

DARK STAR (Hawlucha) (F) @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

WIRECUTTER (Toxtricity) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 144 Atk / 148 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
- Overdrive
- Boomburst
- Drain Punch
- Shift Gear

SEASICK (Crawdaunt) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
CBRockTar
Tyranitar:
Wallbreaker for things that wall Excadrill. Sand is for breaking Focus Sash and chip dmg.

Hatterene:
Magic Bounce user and Volc 2.0 (try @ Grassy Seed, same iv/ev)

Mandibuzz:
Defogger and Pivot

Excadrill:
Clean Up Gang

Amoonguss:
Wall and Clear Smog Support

Kyurem:
Wallbreaker

Use Hat to Set Up and clean up (mid/ late) with Exca. Throw away your def. core, if Exca is able to sweep, for Ttar´s Sand Stream.
Enjoy :)

Hatterene @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Mystical Fire
- Psychic

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 44 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor

Quick build. I would love to hear your opinion.

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
DDWeakTar + CBRockTar
Hatterene @ Grassy Seed
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Mystical Fire
- Psychic

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor

RockSolid
Hatterene @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Mystical Fire
- Psychic

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor

Hatterene @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Mystical Fire
- Psychic

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor

You can only submit one team and need to add a description if you want your submission to be included in the voting.

1599624362339.png
1599624427503.png
1599624434409.png
1599624473035.png
1599624504851.png
1599624549855.png

Golurk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Klutz
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Trick
- Stealth Rock
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake

Kommo-o @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Zeraora @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere
- Grass Knot

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Heavy Slam
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower

I built this team a while ago because I wanted to try Assault Vest Trick Golurk and SD Kommo-o. The idea is that Golurk lures stuff like Skarmory and Corviknight (sometimes Clefable), which it can then trick an Assualt Vest too. This lets Kommo-o / Excadrill sweep later in the match. Since people usually don't expect Golurk to use Stealth Rock and it packs a strong Poltergeist, its pretty easy to set up in most matches.

Banded Tyranitar does a few things for this team. It acts as a pretty strong wallbreaker, "checks" opposing weather teams, and sets up Sand to let Drill sweep / revenge kill Dragapult, Volcarona, etc. A lot of people don't expect Band, so they sometimes leave their Torkoal / Pellipper in and just get OHKO'd by Stone Edge

Zeraora and Choice Scarf Togekiss round out this team & act as revenge killers. Special Zeraora can break through Pex and Skarm pretty easily, while Togekiss checks Dragapult & Urshifu - two big threats to this team.

This team does struggle with quite a bit against Dragapult and Grass-types. Grass-types can be played around with via Golurk's Trick and Kommo-o / Togekiss, but they are still a pain regardless. Dragapult is very tricky to play around since its so versatile, so it can usually take out or cripple one mon.

Here's one replay of this team in action (probably not the best one to showcase Tar though since it didn't do much).
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1183704560-zn0ymomcvxw7s2ltqag1fzqwi6m5e3tpw

Attachments

Last edited:
Wastelands:
Some random fun shit that's a slightly more interesting take on standard Sand. I wanted to abuse Band Force Drill because, unless you're a metal bird, you're getting 2HKOed and that thought made my dick tingle a bit; the standard Sand pairing led off the team, both self explanatory, though Foul Play on T-Tar was the chosen option since it's still capable of getting relevant KOs vs Aegi and mixed Pult, only missing out on the OHKO vs Modest/Timid Pult but even that can be circumvented with hazards, Foul Play's benefit is being able to threaten things like Azu, Daunt, and Rilla who could all otherwise set up on your face. All that said, I thought it would be even better if Exca could kill everything including the metal birds, so Gravity Clef was slapped on. Stacking hazards is also a good complimentary option, so I chose the Pod because people have been talking about it lately, I liked the offensive compression it offered here, and it looks more interesting than other options. Having Corv on this team would be redundant so a more suitable check to Rilla and Exca was chosen in standard Tangy, it Knocks Off Boots and spams accurate Stun Spores under Gravity to make up for the shortfall in overall speed. I went with Wisp SpexHex Pult to provide speed control, additional immediate power, and the potential to cripple Fu who is annoying, after everything is thoroughly Wisped or Stun Spored Hex can blow through a lot; Fire Blast was chosen for the raw power without the accuracy detriment while under Gravity. If Clef wasn't so awkwardly pink it would also look very aesthetic too.
Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Tangrowth (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off
- Stun Spore

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Gravity
- Soft-Boiled

Golisopod (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Emergency Exit
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Spikes

Excadrill (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Dragapult (M) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hex
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Ruft

OU Leader
It's time to vote!

Reminder: the voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). To vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. Additionally, don't vote for your own submission. If you have any questions about this system, by all means, contact me or lyd.

And remember, you may vote for as many or as little teams as you want!

Team A by ShootingStarmie

Team Building Process:
Team has to feature Tyranitar, so in it goes
View attachment 274088
I wanted to use physical sweepers to take advantage of the holes Tyranitar creates, so Azumarill and Scizor make for excellent partners, and share great synergy (Azumarill struggles with bulky Grass-types, Scizor struggles with Volcarona).
View attachment 274089View attachment 274090View attachment 274091
Water and Electric-types were hard to switch into, and the team lacked a Ground resist. Rillaboom made perfect sense, and benefits from Scizor and Tyranitar's ability to check Togekiss.
View attachment 274092View attachment 274093View attachment 274094View attachment 274095
The basic structure of the team was in place, and I had two slots to fill. Aegislash has great synergy with Azumarill and Tyranitar, and benefits from Mandibuzz, Corviknight, and Skarmory being weakened by Tyranitar.
View attachment 274096View attachment 274097View attachment 274098View attachment 274099View attachment 274100
Last but not least, the team needs hazards. I used Mew in the last team, so I actively avoided it for this team. Necrozma recently caught my attention as an offensive Stealth Rock user, as it matches up well with common Defog users.
View attachment 274101View attachment 274102View attachment 274103View attachment 274104View attachment 274105View attachment 274106
Team was decent, but I felt slightly weak to certain threats like Excadrill and Urshifu. I did try a few variations of this team, with Conkeldurr > Aegislash, and also tried Terrakion > Necrozma, but overall I settled with Kommo-o > Necrozma. Kommo-o provides SR and acts as a blanket check to threats I struggled with like Zeraora, Urshifu, and Gengar.
View attachment 274107View attachment 274108View attachment 274109View attachment 274110View attachment 274111View attachment 274114
Description / How to use:
With the rise of SpDef Tyranitar and Sand Rush Excadrill, I expect(ed) the majority of teams posted here to be balance sand teams. I wanted to separate myself from the teams I expect to be posted this week, and SpDef Tyranitar doesn't suit my overall offensive style. Choice Band Tyranitar is a slept on threat, 2HKOing the best defensive pokes like Clefable and Toxapex, while also being bulky enough to check what its needed to (Togekiss, Dragapult etc). I wanted to utilize this by pairing Tyranitar with physical sweepers that can clean up weakened teams that only rely on Clefable and Toxapex to wall such sweepers.

The general game plan for this team is to set up Stealth Rocks ASAP, switch into resisted attacks thanks to the overall decent bulk / synergy of the team, and proceed to wall break / sweep depending on the situation. While the team isn't necessarily fast, the team is packed with a bunch of priority to make up for the lack of speed, and the extra bulk is always appreciated when switching into resisted attacks. You'll notice every single member is a physical attacker, and 4 out of 6 can set up. This team was intentionally designed this way, as the objective is to overwhelm the opponent and sweep, so special attackers weren't necessary, making special walls like Blissey and Tyranitar a non issue.

I could go into detail about the synergy of the team, but in summary the team has great typing synergy, and each Pokemon compliments each other by weakening their respective shared counters. A certain mindset is required when playing this kind of team. As such, knowing when to sacrifice certain Pokemon to open up a wall, double switching, and a long term game plan are key elements to succeed with this team. Thanks to the immense power, prediction is actually a lot less important than you think, but still required of course for some situations. Try your best to find what is most likely to sweep, what’s stopping that sweep, and how to overcome that hurdle with your other team mates.

No team is perfect, so watch out for these threats when using this team and play around accordingly:

Sand Rush Excadrill, Zeraora, Urshifu, Sash Alakazam, Will-O-Wisp Gengar, Life Orb Clefable
Importable:
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Aqua Tail

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Dual Wingbeat

Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat

Kommo-o @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Taunt
Team B by Trinitrotoluene
206 (offense ft. mixed expert belt tyranitar)

team assembly:

the centerpiece of this round of the team building competition was tyranitar, so it was an obvious starting point for this team. spdef tyranitar sets seem to be the flavor of the month for tyranitar, so i also originally started with cb tyranitar as a way to make my team pop out from the expected balance teams with spdef tyranitar + sand rush excadrill cores. after talking with shootingstarmie and seeing the raw numbers it did to most of ou, i knew i had to at least give it a shot.

a breaker isn't complete without its sweepers though, so i opted for dragon dance dragapult as this team's primary sweeper. as for why i picked dragapult, it's because it holds a special place in my heart as my favorite gen 8 newcomer.

rillaboom + hawlucha is very similar to the tapu + hawlucha cores commonly seen in gen 7, so this was something kinda familiar to me. i even used a tapu + hawlucha core in the last team i had posted in the rmt subforum a bit less than 2 years ago. both team members provide additional speed control in the form of grassy glide and an unburden boost respectively, which is always handy to have against most forms of offense.

i then settled on excadrill as this team's fifth member due to needing something capable of laying down sneaky pebbles reliably and quickly. from what i've seen while assembling this team, it looked like an effective suicide lead thanks to its ability to forcibly clear opposing entry hazards while also being able to ko itself reliably with steel beam, thus denying hazard removal and providing a free opportunity for a teammate to enter the field relatively unscathed.

the most common defensive core in ou that i saw was clefable + toxapex. additionally, a sturdy flying-type (usually one of mandibuzz, corviknight, or skarmory) accompanied them. i wanted instant pressure on them, so toxtricity was an obvious pick. it also helped give this team a buffer against zeraora, which tends to give offensive teams trouble. with that, draft 1 of this team was complete.

while at first i was happy with how this team performed, even under my rusty command, i couldn't help but feel that it felt too inconsistent for my liking. cb tyranitar, while very powerful, didn't fit this team as well as i had liked it to. as such, i took this team's basic skeleton (which still felt solid) and made a couple of changes. the first and second changes came as a bundle: i elected to try out a mixed expert belt set on tyranitar to capitalize on those expecting either the usual spdef or cb tyranitar sets. this change also allowed me to put sneaky pebbles on tyranitar, thus rendering excadrill redundant. with this in mind, i swapped excadrill out for crawdaunt, which provided me an additional source of priority as well as sheer wallbreaking potential. with these changes in place, dragon dance dragapult felt a bit redundant since hawlucha was usually the threat doing most of the late-game cleaning. as a result, i changed dragapult from a dragon dancer to the more bog-standard hex attacker, which gave my team a more traditional form of speed control that doesn't require it to be choice-locked. finally, i replaced swords dance and life orb on rillaboom with u-turn and choice band respectively. this gave me another threat that can pivot around and get its teammates in safely, all while having more immediate power. with that, the team in its current state was completed!

description:
in case you're wondering why this washed-up smogon alumnus is posting a team here, you can thank ShootingStarmie for convincing me to give this competition a go. he's been extremely helpful in getting me back into this game and is a stellar dude overall. this is my first time building an actual team in almost 2 years, so please bear with me. i am very rusty.

this is a pretty basic offensive team. its overall gameplan is to set up pebbles, identify which team member has the best chances at sweeping later in the game, and work to ensure conditions are as good as possible for the identified sweeper to do its job. tyranitar acts as both a pebbles setter and pivot to get the set-up sweepers in safely. the sand it brings also provides a nice disruption to other weather-based offensive teams, which tend to be difficult match-ups for opposing offense. hawlucha usually is the sweeper of choice against opposing offense and balance teams, but you can easily get sweeps going with any of the set-up sweepers or rillaboom. speaking of rillaboom, its access to a grassy terrain-boosted grassy glide with choice band to potentiate it even further, dragapult's natural speed, and crawdaunt's aqua jet are the usual ways of ensuring faster threats don't get too far out of hand. against fatter squads, crawdaunt and toxtricity become very important due to their ability to make the fat cores present on those teams squirm. ditto kinda sucks, but it can be mitigated through solid play. remember: don't give room for opposing offensive sweepers to set up on you or you will have a bad time.

about the tyranitar: this is an expert belt lure set designed to beat the most common defoggers and other steel-types that like switching into tyranitar. 212 spe evs on tyranitar let it speed creep 56 spe mandibuzz and anything slower while the hp + spd investments guarantee that tyranitar will live a bug buzz from +1 volcarona at full health. 160 spa evs + expert belt guarantee a 2hko on corviknight after it switches into 1 round of sneaky pebbles. these evs and choice of moves can probably be optimized even further, so make of that what you will.

if you know where these nicknames + team name come from, you get special kudos from me.

importable:
OPAL (Tyranitar) (F) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 40 HP / 56 Atk / 160 SpA / 40 SpD / 212 Spe
Mild Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

ETERNAL SEPTEMBER (Dragapult) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 68 Atk / 188 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hex
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Dragon Darts

DEFINITION (Rillaboom) (F) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- U-turn

DARK STAR (Hawlucha) (F) @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

WIRECUTTER (Toxtricity) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 144 Atk / 148 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
- Overdrive
- Boomburst
- Drain Punch
- Shift Gear

SEASICK (Crawdaunt) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
Team C by van_dunkelbunt
CBRockTar
Tyranitar:
Wallbreaker for things that wall Excadrill. Sand is for breaking Focus Sash and chip dmg.

Hatterene:
Magic Bounce user and Volc 2.0 (try @ Grassy Seed, same iv/ev)

Mandibuzz:
Defogger and Pivot

Excadrill:
Clean Up Gang

Amoonguss:
Wall and Clear Smog Support

Kyurem:
Wallbreaker

Use Hat to Set Up and clean up (mid/ late) with Exca. Throw away your def. core, if Exca is able to sweep, for Ttar´s Sand Stream.
Enjoy :)

Hatterene @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Mystical Fire
- Psychic

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor

Team D by Magcargo
View attachment 274380View attachment 274384View attachment 274385View attachment 274387View attachment 274388View attachment 274389
Golurk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Klutz
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Trick
- Stealth Rock
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake

Kommo-o @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Zeraora @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere
- Grass Knot

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Heavy Slam
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower

I built this team a while ago because I wanted to try Assault Vest Trick Golurk and SD Kommo-o. The idea is that Golurk lures stuff like Skarmory and Corviknight (sometimes Clefable), which it can then trick an Assualt Vest too. This lets Kommo-o / Excadrill sweep later in the match. Since people usually don't expect Golurk to use Stealth Rock and it packs a strong Poltergeist, its pretty easy to set up in most matches.

Banded Tyranitar does a few things for this team. It acts as a pretty strong wallbreaker, "checks" opposing weather teams, and sets up Sand to let Drill sweep / revenge kill Dragapult, Volcarona, etc. A lot of people don't expect Band, so they sometimes leave their Torkoal / Pellipper in and just get OHKO'd by Stone Edge

Zeraora and Choice Scarf Togekiss round out this team & act as revenge killers. Special Zeraora can break through Pex and Skarm pretty easily, while Togekiss checks Dragapult & Urshifu - two big threats to this team.

This team does struggle with quite a bit against Dragapult and Grass-types. Grass-types can be played around with via Golurk's Trick and Kommo-o / Togekiss, but they are still a pain regardless. Dragapult is very tricky to play around since its so versatile, so it can usually take out or cripple one mon.

Here's one replay of this team in action (probably not the best one to showcase Tar though since it didn't do much).
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1183704560-zn0ymomcvxw7s2ltqag1fzqwi6m5e3tpw
Team E by Tapeworm
Wastelands:
Some random fun shit that's a slightly more interesting take on standard Sand. I wanted to abuse Band Force Drill because, unless you're a metal bird, you're getting 2HKOed and that thought made my dick tingle a bit; the standard Sand pairing led off the team, both self explanatory, though Foul Play on T-Tar was the chosen option since it's still capable of getting relevant KOs vs Aegi and mixed Pult, only missing out on the OHKO vs Modest/Timid Pult but even that can be circumvented with hazards, Foul Play's benefit is being able to threaten things like Azu, Daunt, and Rilla who could all otherwise set up on your face. All that said, I thought it would be even better if Exca could kill everything including the metal birds, so Gravity Clef was slapped on. Stacking hazards is also a good complimentary option, so I chose the Pod because people have been talking about it lately, I liked the offensive compression it offered here, and it looks more interesting than other options. Having Corv on this team would be redundant so a more suitable check to Rilla and Exca was chosen in standard Tangy, it Knocks Off Boots and spams accurate Stun Spores under Gravity to make up for the shortfall in overall speed. I went with Wisp SpexHex Pult to provide speed control, additional immediate power, and the potential to cripple Fu who is annoying, after everything is thoroughly Wisped or Stun Spored Hex can blow through a lot; Fire Blast was chosen for the raw power without the accuracy detriment while under Gravity. If Clef wasn't so awkwardly pink it would also look very aesthetic too.
Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Tangrowth (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off
- Stun Spore

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Gravity
- Soft-Boiled

Golisopod (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Emergency Exit
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Spikes

Excadrill (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Dragapult (M) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hex
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
You have 3 days to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)