Project SS OU Teambuilding Lab [closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
(click the sprites for the team)
Hey there here's a VoltTurn team that includes boots Victini paired with Tapu Koko for you both. This is a really fun core where Tapu Koko lures in Ground-types for Victini to snipe with Glaciate once they are weakened and remove Grass-types for it as well, where Tapu Koko is able to remove Water-types for it while also boosting the damage Bolt Strike does under Electric Terrain.

Decided Scizor went well here as it enjoys Victini and Tapu Koko removing Steel and Water-types for it letting it be an amazing wincon late game to sweep with Swords Dance. Decided to run a more offensive variant of Scizor with Metal Coat that boosts the damage of Bullet Punch doing better damage against the likes of Calm Mind Clefable and Tornadus-T. The ev spread lets it outspeed neatural speed Corviknight, while the Special Defense let's it take ice moves from Modest Kyurem after rocks and the rest evs go into Attack improving the damage it can deal.

Hydreigon made sense next acting as a Heatran check while also being able to pressure Slowking. With the first three teammates who pressure the likes against Fairy-types I went with Draco Meteor over Flash Cannon which allows Hydreigon to OHKO Urshifu-R and act as an immediate nuke against Mandibuzz.

Landorus-T acts as obligatory Electric immunity and rock setter for the team. With Toxic it allows Landorus-T put opposing Landorus-T or any non Steel-type mon wanting to take advantage of it on a time, however, you can also decide to run Protect over Toxic to get passive recovery with Lefties and be able to scout better against the likes of Choice Specs Dragapult. The ev spread lets Landorus-T outspeed Adamant max speed Bisharp and the little bit of Special Defense for better taking hits against Tapu Koko, the rest is dumped into Defense.

Lastly Corviknight rounds up the team providing a defogger and a check against offensive Grass-types and non Fire Fang Garchomp. With Rocky Helmet it allows Corviknight punish Urshifu-R whenever it uses Surging Strikes along with any U-Turn users wearing them down with chip damage for making contact. Negative speed nature here for slow U-Turns to sponge hits and be last in bringing in it's teammates safely.
looks fun at first, but this hard loses to rain and random water types with shell smash like Cloyster and Blastoise

looks fun at first, but this hard loses to rain and random water types with shell smash like Cloyster and Blastoise
While rain as a whole is really rare archetype the team can definitely has its ways to play around it pressuring with Tapu Koko and Hydreigon, same thing with Cloyster wouldn’t be concerned especially when you have Scizor who can revenge Cloyster with Bullet Punch once weakened. If you want a more safer option against Rain and to some extent Cloyster then you can run this https://pokepast.es/1cdf8bc1b82a6f8c, Slowking is still able to check Heatean and improve the matchup against Tapu Lele, the EV spread let’s it avoid 2HKO from Modest Nidokikg and the defenses let’s it better take hits from Urshifu-R and Barraskweda.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Sub protect Salazzle, thanks.
:Salazzle: :Clefable: :Corviknight: :Blissey: :Dragapult: :Gastrodon: - click for import

This is a team I built with Substitute + Toxic Salazzle. The idea of the team is that Salazzle can Toxic Heatran or Toxapex, thus letting Calm Mind + Flamethrower Clefable have more opportunities to potentially sweep. Regarding the Salazzle set, if you want Substitute + Protect as the request specifically asks, feel free to drop one of the STABs. I personally prefer having both STABs though. Regardless, the specific Salazzle spread allows you to 2HKO +1 SDef Clefable with Sludge Wave always while creeping base 110s and anything slower. Clefable outruns max speed Melmetal, 0 speed Corviknight, and some opposing Calm MInd Clefable while still living +2 Earthquake from non-LO Ground types. Corviknight is there as another physically defensive presence that can pivot and provide Defog support while Blissey is a complimentary specially defensive pivot that also provides Stealth Rock support. Finally, Dragapult is the primary form of speed control that can take advantage of status spread with Choice Specs Hex and Gastrodon is there as a Water immunity, Electric immunity, Heatran check, and Clear Smogger to deter special sweepers.

Gomi

yep
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
SD Kartana
team with Swampert please :)
I would like to request Rillaboom :rillaboom: + Kartana :kartana:
team.JPG
Pretty average offensive grass spam build, Ewin helped like A LOT so yk obligatory thanks
Rilla and Kart function as the primary offensive core of the build, pretty basic stuff. CB Rilla messes up offense and provides Gterrain while Synth Kart fucks up everything else with SD boosted Knocks+Leaf Blades, with Synth+Gterrain allowing it to maintain itself over a much longer period of time, which is esp useful vs fat teams that this is meant to bully, given it can just live long enough for its few answers to get chipped too hard to actually answer Kart. Corv, Clef, and Pert really dont have much that needs explaining, they provide the necessary defensive backbone with speedy helm Corv checking offensive grasses/ground and not being zone bait due to creeping it, Spdef CM Clef functioning as an additional anti fat team measure (mostly tang) and Kyu+Pult check, and Pert just being a really good way to round out the defensive core, since it adores the offensive grasses destroying a lot of pokemon Pert isn't keen on handling while Pert itself abuses Gterrain+Lefties to remain a sturdy Spdef blanket check and decent tran answer. Zeraoras just an easy last to slot in, Speed control that isn't reliant on commonly resisted priority like Rilla and appreciates the rest of the team being so effective at neutralizing grounds, spreads knocks rks stuff annoys torn not really much to say lol.
tl;dr Kart+Clef handle fat, Rilla makes offense sad, Corv+Swampert make you not die, and Zeraora helps with a few things like Torn-T that could pose big problems otherwise.

Last edited:
View attachment 338078
Pretty average offensive grass spam build, Ewin helped a lot so yk obligatory thanks
Rilla and Kart function as the primary offensive core of the build, pretty basic stuff. CB Rilla messes up offense and provides Gterrain while Synth Kart fucks up everything else with SD boosted Knocks+Leaf Blades, with Synth+Gterrain allowing it to maintain itself over a much longer period of time, which is esp useful vs fat teams that this is meant to bully, given it can just live long enough for its few answers to get chipped too hard to actually answer Kart. Corv, Clef, and Pert really dont have much that needs explaining, they provide the necessary defensive backbone with speedy helm Corv checking offensive grasses/ground and not being zone bait due to creeping it, Spdef CM Clef functioning as an additional anti fat team measure (mostly tang) and Kyu+Pult check, and Pert just being a really good way to round out the defensive core, since it adores the offensive grasses destroying a lot of pokemon Pert isn't keen on handling while Pert itself abuses Gterrain+Lefties to remain a sturdy Spdef blanket check and decent tran answer. Zeraoras just an easy last to slot in, Speed control that isn't reliant on commonly resisted priority like Rilla and appreciates the rest of the team being so effective at neutralizing grounds, spreads knocks rks stuff annoys torn not really much to say lol.
tl;dr Kart+Clef handle fat, Rilla makes offense sad, Corv+Swampert make you not die, and Zeraora helps with a few things like Torn-T that could pose big problems otherwise.
sick! I quite like pert+corvi core as you can see here lol pretty neat for offensive builds that want a simple pivot backbone. ill consider some spdef evs on corvi instead of speed if i find too much lele and too little magnezone. ferrothorn looks a bit annoying, plus don't you think having 3 knock offs hurts kartana? having fighting coverage on one of the grasses instead of knock off would is something you considered? removing ferro also helps clefable quite a bit. honestly i'm more keen on superpower rilla than sacred sword kartana bc synthesis is quite nice. I assume lefties>lo are for kyu's ice beam and pult's shadowball/hex rolls if i remember correctly.
also liquidation>high horsepower for a bigger and reliable hit on volcarona?

Gomi

yep
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
sick! I quite like pert+corvi core as you can see here lol pretty neat for offensive builds that want a simple pivot backbone. ill consider some spdef evs on corvi instead of speed if i find too much lele and too little magnezone. ferrothorn looks a bit annoying, plus don't you think having 3 knock offs hurts kartana? having fighting coverage on one of the grasses instead of knock off would is something you considered? removing ferro also helps clefable quite a bit. honestly i'm more keen on superpower rilla than sacred sword kartana bc synthesis is quite nice. I assume lefties>lo are for kyu's ice beam and pult's shadowball/hex rolls if i remember correctly
Ferro pretty much cant do anything with every mon it comes in on either pivoting out or knocking, and once its knocked its kind of just leech blocked by Clef and Kart, the latter which abuses it for set up due to Synth. If you end up finding yourself ruined by it still I don't really see that much repercussion in Superpower Rilla over Knock though, zera+kart is alot of room for knock spam anywho. You do have to be a tad careful with triple Knock since its imperative to not knock Skarm so early that Kart can't overpower it with rocks chip and doubles but its not really that hard since Rilla has U turn to spam if its unsure anyways.
Yea Clef needs lefties to be a good check to Pult+Kyu, realistically it wont hurt its purpose on this team much with Kart pressuring every build without tang really hard anyways.

Last edited:
Welcome to the SS OU Teambuilding Lab! We have assembled a team based on the application form. Please don't forget that anyone can sign up throughout the duration of the project, as I will be checking responses on the same form periodically. If it's been a while and you haven't heard a response via Smogon PM or Discord, feel free to PM me or another team member.

airfare
ausma
curiosity
Ewin
Finchinator
Gingy
Gomi
Skypenguin
Tysonslayer
Yugon
ferrothorn please

Hi, I would like to request a team with Rotom-Wash built into a volt-turn core, preferably with Scizor but definitely not a must. Tried to build such a team but I struggled with getting chipped by helmets, rough skin/barbs and hazards so feel like I was doing something wrong in teambuilding (and probably in how I play as well). Thank you :)

I'd like to request a team built around Nidoqueen; it's my favorite Pokemon and I'd love to make it work in OU however possible. Primarina is my second favorite Pokemon and I'd love to have it on the team too, but I'm willing to go without it if it hampers the team's effectiveness too much. Also, I tend to prefer more offensive teams, but again, I'm willing to go with whatever would make Nidoqueen work best.

Last edited:

Batzi

“I’m Cosmo Kramer, the Assman!”
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm thinking a crawdaunt or hippowdon team. If you can slot both just fine without any big issues, go for it.
Hello Free | Ratio, myself and Ewin have created a Crawdaunt rain team for you.

We decided that the best way to showcase Crawdaunt's breaking potential was via a rain team. Crawdaunt has Crabhammer>Liquidation because it has a 93% chance to OHKO clef in rain opposed to no chance of OHKO'ing it with Liquidation. Additionally, it has more breaking power overall. It doesn't really outspeed anything using 209 so we've opted for 200 so that it can creep ID Zone. Barraskewda is pretty standard however gone for Psychic Fangs>Aqua Jet because we already have Daunt's Aqua Jet and it is more important to be able to mess up Pex or bait an Urshifu-Rapid. Ferro is Eject Button to be able to pivot once VS Specs Kyurem and has 24 attack to 2HKO rilla after rocks with Gyro. The defence is there so it can eject once on Scarf Urshifu-Rapid. Peli is standard however gone for Hurricane>Scald because it hits more such as Rilla, Tang and Kart. Toad is your ground immune and this is where you can have multiple options in your set. Liquidation, EQ and PWhip are mandatory here however you can replace Ice Punch with Sludge Wave if you want to hit Tangrowth as well as other grasses whereas Ice Punch does not do much to Tangrowth and you take helmet damage. Zapdos is your best way of checking offensive Grasses with a pretty standard spread. Sub Kyurem is a threat however that's more rare than Specs Kyurem so we've opted to check that better than the sub set.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)