Project SS PU Next Best Thing - Week 9 (Xatu Submissions)

Speedy Wallbreaker (Small)

Gourgeist-Small @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Jolly Nature
-Poltergeist
-Power Whip
-Rock Slide
-Foul Play

Of all the Geist's, Small is the fastest, so I decided to capitalize on that. A jolly nature plus max speed EVs ensure its as fast as possible. LO helps to hit harder, Scarf can also be used for more speed, but Geist appreciates being able to switch moves. Poltergeist and PW are strong STAB, Rock Slide hits Flying and Fire types that might try to take advantage of it. Foul Play is important as Small is the weakest Gourgeist, FP lets it hit harder on Physical attackers that resist its STAB.

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
EVs: 60 HP / 196 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Poltergeist

Sub Seed Smallgeist can help to wear down its usual checks like Unfezant, Throh, Dubwool, and Pawniard while also providing some recovery for itself and its teammates. This set has enough attack to maintain 2HKOs on the things like Sandslash and Stunfisk with Power Whip, Lilligant with Poltergeist, and also allows Gourgeist to 3HKO max Defense Throh with Power Whip and Leech Seed damage stacking (unless it runs Leftovers, but max Defense usually runs Rocky Helmet anyway).

Last edited:

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
:ss/gourgeist-super:
Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 166 Def / 90 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Shadow Ball / Energy Ball
- Curse

This is a Physically Defensive set I came up with back in May, when Super was still in ZU and DLC hadn't dropped. This set deters from the standard Defensive sets by having Substitute and Curse. Substitute makes Gourgeist last much longer than it should, and Curse heavily threatens Pokemon like Tangela, that can usually switch in on a Leech Seed and not feel threatened. The reason to use this over other PhyDef Grasses is because not only it's Normal and Fighting resistance, but its access to Curse + Leech Seed and use of Sub allow it to threaten out many defensive mons while keeping itself healthy throughout the match. Speed EVs are to outspeed uninvested base 65s like Roselia, but you can invest in more bulk if you want.

Gourgeist- Super @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Phantom Force
- Leech Seed/ Curse
- Substitute
- Disable

Sub Disable Gourgeist. Between Phantom Force and Leech Seed (or Curse for the spicy among us) you can rack up a lot of passive damage. Likes hazard support, especially Toxic Spikes. You can Disable the opponents only move that can break your sub, or their healing move for example.

Edit: Lol the previous entry is very similar but wasn't there when i started writing. I SWEAR!

Gourgeist-Small Offensive Lead

Gourgeist @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Power Whip
- Poltergeist
- Explosion

The best part of this form i its base Spe of 99, although it has a low hp stat.
I think that this form can be effectively used such as a "suicide" lead with:
* WoW in order to ruin the Atk of a threat your opponent puts carelessly in front of you. Burn is really a strong detrimental status, especially towards physical checks/counters;
* Power Whip + Poltergeist is the dual-STAB combination even tough they are medium-risk moves because you can't really spam them carelessly;
* Explosion is the last move you have to use to deal damage and to keep the momentum.

Focus Sash is here in order to have -at the very least- one hit.

Last edited:
What a success of a week! We got so many more submissions, so a huge thanks to everybody! Anyway, we'll be voting now (I'm not going to submit this time around because all my ideas were stolen by you guys :( ).

Please vote for 2 submissions. It is imperative you do this so the top 3 submissions get more votes.​
Submission and AuthorSet
Speedy Wallbreaker Smallgeist by MegaBanette69
:ss/Gourgeist:
Gourgeist-Small @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Jolly Nature
-Poltergeist
-Power Whip
-Rock Slide
-Foul Play
SubSeed Smallgeist by SergioRules

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
EVs: 60 HP / 196 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Poltergeist​
Curse Supergeist by Heracross2.0
Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 166 Def / 90 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Shadow Ball / Energy Ball
- Curse
Sub Disable Supergeist by PlusC
Impish Nature
- Phantom Force
- Leech Seed/ Curse
- Substitute
- Disable​
Offensive Lead Smallgeist by nameless90
Gourgeist @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Power Whip
- Poltergeist
- Explosion

Last edited:
also voting for Trick Room, which I think needs exploring more in PU in general.

also that subdisable set looks neat I mean the Speedy Wallbreaker

Edit: As requested, a third vote for the Offensive Lead set

Last edited:
* Supergeist Trick Room by AllTerrainVen0moth (that you forgot to include in your list; look carefully at the bottom of page 2) because makes good use of the low Spe of this form
This account appears to be banned. Of course I saw it. He just will not be included because of this. If I get any protests or information otherwise that he is banned then I will change that verdict but please just for this special occasion put the vote for his submission in brackets and instead vote for a 3rd submission - this is only if you vote for the Trick Room set. If he gets unbanned or something which I am not aware of I will count that vote instead of the vote for the 3rd submission. Thanks! PlusC can you do this too?

My votes bc I didn't post them there:
1. SubSeedSmallgeist
2. Offensive Lead

My sincere apologies for this inconvenience

Well done to AllTerrainVen0moth and PlusC for getting 3 votes each to win this week's edition of Next Best Thing!

Sub Disable - 3
Trick Room - 3
---------------------------
Offensive Lead - 2
Sub Seed - 1
Speedy Wallbreaker - 1
Curse - 0
Impish Nature
- Phantom Force
- Leech Seed/ Curse
- Substitute
- Disable

Gourgeist-Super @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Poltergeist
- Power Whip
- Pain Split

I'm going to wait a bit as the metagame settles down and we have more ideas about this new meta with all of the October drops, so I shall get back to you soon!​

Okay, it has been a very, very long wait, but we're finally rebooting this thread!

The first mon we're gonna make new sets for is Archeops!

:ss/Archeops:
Standard Sets

Deadline for Submission: Monday 25th January 11.59PM EST
Deadline for Voting: Wednesday 27th January 11.59PM EST

Good luck everybody! Let's get this going!​

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
:ss/archeops:

Archeops @ Power Herb
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Acrobatics
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power

Seen this being thrown around a little so I decided to add it. Works best on Webs team but shouldn't be discounted when teambuilding. Its coverage and great mixed attacking stats allow it to build a mixed set for it, taking advantage of both the +1 in SpA and the boost to Acrobatics to plow through weakened teams. Ancient Power isn't the best Rock STAB to be using, but much more reliable than Stone Edge and the +1 to all stats can come in handy in a pinch. Earth Power rounds out its coverage by letting it hit Steels and Rocks. Still has a bit of trouble with Grounds, but Palossand only needs to be at 85 before Meteor Beam into Acro is a KO.

Last edited:
:ss/archeops:

Choice Scarf Archeops

Archeops @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

You may be thinking to yourself, 'why would Archeops use scarf instead of HDB?' And indeed, I thought the same thing... until I used it. It’s a surprisingly reliable revenge killer, and it’s fairly strong as well. 'But sovietsympathizer, why are you using Adamant instead of Jolly?' Well, here’s a fun fact for y’all; Archeops actually outspeeds all the relevant scarfers in the tier, so you can run Adamant without any poblems. The only mon you don’t outspeed is Togedemaru, and that’s only by one point. The surprise factor is also a big boon; your opponent won’t expect any run of the mill Archeops to outspeed and swiftly KO their Passimian, after all.

Last edited:
Choice Specs Archeops

1611255506043.png

Archeops @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Switcheroo

Archeops actually has a pretty good special movepool, so I'd thought of using Specs Archeops. It can be a good revenge mon due to its high base speed, not to mention catch your opponent by surprise that its not physical. Of course, without the Boots it would need reliable hazard removal support. Switcheroo is a last-ditch move you can use when Archeops is under half-health, and crippling something of your opponents in the process. Besides the moves listed above, Focus Blast and Dragon Pulse are in its arsenal (and Ancient Power if you want to fish for a boost).

Defog Archeops

Archeops @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dual Wingbeat
- Defog

Thanks to it good Spe tier, Archeops can force many switches, thus gaining free turns. This means that you may be able to get one Defog for free to clean the field from hazards, but especially to reduce the evasion of the opposite pokèmon.
One of the biggest problem Archeops has is the middling accuracy of its moves.
Archeops is the definition of glass cannon and it doesn't have the luxury to miss moves.

Defog is also useful to support your teammates even when Defeatist is active to achieve the same result.

Last edited:
Reserving anti-Stall arch

Archeops @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Head Smash / DWB / Knock Off
- U-turn / Toxic
- Taunt

Basically exists to Taunt the bulky walls and hazard setters in the tier then brutally Head Smash them to death.

Toxic is good for catching Pokemon on the switch, UTurn for momentum.

I swear Archeops got Super Fang

Edit: Bonus
https://imgflip.com/i/4utwmp

Last edited:
I have to go into school to do an English Exam this afternoon so I'm doing this an hour early, since there's no reservations either.

Ok first thing's first, I'll submit mine:

Choice Band Archeops
Archeops @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dual Wingbeat / Knock Off​

The set is pretty self-explanatory and I'm surprised I actually got this, considering Archeops has a base 140 attack lol. Very powerful, very fast, good coverage and just solid in general, just do some calcs in game and watch out for rocks and this puts in work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the votes (I'm using a new table format here). To see explanations for each set click on the Archeops sprite to send you to the post.
Let me remind you guys of the voting system: Each person votes for 2 submissions, and the top 3 submissions, given that they have gotten over 3 votes, will enter the hall of fame. 1st place submissions will always go in the hall of fame regardless if they got 3 votes or not.

Deadline for voting is the 27th January 11.59PM EST​
Power Herb​
Choice Scarf​
Choice Specs​
Defog​
Anti-Stall​
Choice Band​
Yours Truly​
Archeops @ Power Herb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Acrobatics
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power​
Archeops @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn​
Archeops @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Switcheroo​
Archeops @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dual Wingbeat
- Defog
Archeops @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Head Smash / Dual Wingbeat / Knock Off
- U-turn / Toxic
- Taunt​
Archeops @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dual Wingbeat / Knock Off​

Jeezus Christ those Archeops wings are hypnotising

With that, my votes are:

1. Herb
2. Scarf

P.S Please do not vote for yourself it ruins the purpose of voting for the best one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)