Project SS UU Lure That Threat! Week 25: Slowking (Submissions)

The voting stage has ended! Congratulations to dunderguy for winning the week! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame shortly. This project has gotten a lot more popular as of recent, and that's awesome to see. However, with the project growing in popularity more, I will start to be a bit more strict on submissions as I dont have to worry about getting too little in a week. Here are some examples of submissions that do and do not work going forward, it would be best to read this so I dont have to disqualify a submission in a future week.
-A lure should be something that is unexpected, in order words, if you ran into it on the ladder you would be really surprised at running into that set (like cell battery volcanion). The set doesn't have to be good necessarily but has to fit the criteria of being a lure, which is having an unexpected move to lure in one or more threats while still fulfilling its purpose on a team.
- Note that if it is mentioned on an analysis, its most likely standard and cannot be accepted as a lure. This includes stuff like Ice Beam on Nidoqueen for example or Grass Knot on Nihilego as it is perfectly reasonable to expect these moves from them. Moves that would be in the Other options section can be used as lures most of the time. In addition, analysis sets like Mixed Crawdaunt can also be counted as a lure due to its ability to lure in and remove something like Tapu Bulu. If one is unsure, feel free to DM me on discord and I can provide clarification
-There is also lures with minimal EV changing, those are just lazy and not even 100% plausible at times due to rocks damage and what not, so if I see a submission with minimal EV changes (some HP on a Mamoswine that dies if rocks are up) I will disqualify it
-Lastly, I will be banning the combination of standard set+ resist berry+ coverage. This type of lure is lazy, nothing really changes about the Pokemon except it lives a hit and KOs back super effectively. Resist berries can be used in a week if the set is different enough from the normal sets when used. A good example of this is the Babiri Grimmsnarl lure, where it had a completely different purpose despite carrying a Babiri berry and thus is allowed.
-This may seem like a lot so if there is anything I can do to make this less confusing please let me know!
With that out of the way, lets introduce the threat you will lure for this week!
:ss/Salamence:
Salamence @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Roost

This week we have the menace himself, Salamence! This Pokemon has been at the top of the metagame for months, proving the tier with a hard hutting defogger with some defensive ulility, allowing him to check the likes of Scizor and Zarude. Its 3 attacks + roost set is incredibly deadly with few Pokemon wanting to switch in, so I want to see how you can lure this threat! Submissions are due Saturday April 24 at 11:59 PM PST

Zarude @ Coba Berry
Ability: Leaf Guard
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Energy Ball
- Hyper Voice

Now Intimidate doesn't even matter!, if you Nasty Plot on the switch-in you 2HKO with Dark Pulse, and thanks to Coba Berry, it can eat a Hurricane, not depending on if the opponent misses or not. Energy Ball is your second STAB and Hyper Voice is for "coverage" since it literally gets almost no special moves.

252 SpA Salamence Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Coba Berry Zarude: 166-196 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 77.3% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Zarude Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 210-247 (63.4 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:ss/scizor:
Scizor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SpD
Adamant Nature
Bullet Punch
Knock Off /
U-turn
Roost
Toxic

Toxic + Knock Off allows Scizor to pressure the hell out of Salamence for coming in. Toxic is the lure part, as Salamence has to now roost very more often, and can no longer sit on pokemon like Calm Mind Keldeo or Bulk Up Zarude. EVs aren't anything specific for Mence, it's just the bulky spread I'm using at the moment. U-turn and Knock Off are also interchangeable in my opinion, it really depends on the team. Aside from hitting Salamence, Toxic also snipes Buzzwole, Moltres, and other non-steel or poison Scizor answers.

Last edited:
Conkadonk is the funny man
:ss/conkeldurr:
Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Ive gotten my Salamence smashed on ladder by this set, literally every mence just switches in one the big nosed guy, if you click ice punch they get inmediately owned, even if you dont inmediately click ice punch on the switch you can still tank the hurricane and just delete them from existance.
Drain Punch keeps us nice and healthy so that we don't get put into range easily, not the most creative submission but honestly it works, AV also gives the ability to trade with chandelure and aegislash.

CALCS
252 SpA Salamence Hurricane vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 306-360 (75.7 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 308-364 (93 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 30-36 (9 - 10.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
(Ice punch + mach punch always kills)

:roserade: @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam

Roserade is able to sleep powder salamence and cripple it for the game making sure it won't be making any progress as well by 2hko'ing with sludge bomb and dazzling gleam and it can be taken advantage off and setup on by its teammates

252 SpA Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 171-202 (51.6 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Roserade Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 204-242 (61.6 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
SOLO DOLO (solonor24 ) ICE BEAM MEWW
:xy/mew: :xy/mew: :xy/mew:

Mew @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 148 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Future Sight
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Teleport

This set is flames and its does so many things but I'm just here to take abt how it lures Salamence. This mew set is able to come in on any of special salamences moves
252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Mew: 150-177 (37.1 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Salamence Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Mew: 127-150 (31.4 - 37.1%) -- 83.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Mew: 85-100 (21 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
Salamence Roost vs. 252 HP Mew: 0-0 (0 - 0%)

And destroy it with ice beam
0 SpA Mew Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 312-368 (94.2 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Most mew's don't run ice beam so while the other player may be thinking mence may be safe for a roost they are surely mistaken for they will get destroyed by ice beam.

Last edited:

romanji

/ᐠ - ˕ -マ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Iron Head
- Psychic
- U-turn

Do you love dropping Dracos? Of course you do. Now with this new innovative technology, we have used one of our wishes to make Jirachi learn Draco Meteor to get those pesky Dragon-types out of the way, and not worry about risking a Speed tie with Salamence!

252 SpA Jirachi Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 282-334 (85.1 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Salamence Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 176-208 (51.6 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
:xy/volcanion:
Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Weather Ball

Volcanion's bulk doesn't force it to predict when Salamence is coming in, so even if Salamence switches into Steam Eruption or Flamethrower, Volcanion can stay in and destroy it with an Ice-type Weather Ball. Of course this demands help from Alolan Ninetales as a partner to work, and the screens it provides help Volcanion to stay in on Salamence.

Last edited:
:ss/seismitoad:
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind

Salamence would normally come in on Seismitoad to either Defog away hazards or to fire off an attack, but with this set you are able to Icy Wind as Salamence Draco Meteors or Hurricanes, and finish it off next turn since with 140 Speed EVs you outspeed Salamence after an Icy Wind

0 SpA Seismitoad Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 168-200 (50.7 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 240-283 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
:bw/Tangrowth:
Tangrowth @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ancient Power
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

I have been told that this set sucks but it actually seems kind of cool. I'll be back early next week so good mons aren't stolen. Salamence isn't the primary Tangrowth switch in but it certainly switches in plenty of times if there are no other options. Here's the calcs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 230-272 (69.4 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tangrowth Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 172-203 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That is a solid amount of damage and this is, in some circumstances, a lure.

Last edited:
Swole Lure

:ss/Buzzwole:
Buzzwole @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Dual Wingbeat

SWOLE is in and mence thinks it can eat a CC, or outspeed and Hurrikill, but NOPE the combination of Scarf and Ice Punch is too much (sort of):

-1 252+ Atk Buzzwole Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 304-360 (91.8 - 108.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

So yeah Ice Punch is not super uncommon, and neither is scarf, nor is Adamant buzz, but the combination of ALL THREE are less common than most Buzz, and deadly for Mence and can surprise on the switch or in fresh.

Its time to vote! Down below are the submissions for this week
Nasty Plot Zarude by Lolito
Toxic Scizor by Sickist
AV Conk by TotomonGang
Choice Scarf Roserade by HydreigonTheChild
SOLO Mew by 467 11 11p
Draco Meteor Jirachi by UrAverageHuman
Weather Ball Volcanion by Bandkrook
Icy Wind Seismitoad by JustFranco
Choice Specs Tangrowth by itsjustdrew
Choice Scarf buzzwole BigFatMantis (counting it only because idk if scarf is standard enough to be a set)

Vote for your favorite lure. Voting ends Monday, April 26 at 11:59 PM PST. My vote is for Icy Wind Seismitoad

Reactions: Rae

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)