Project SS UU Lure That Threat! Week 25: Slowking (Submissions)

The voting stage has concluded! Congrats to JustFranco for winning the week with their submission! It will be added to the Hall of Fame. Before I introduce this week's threat, I want to say I'm thankful for all the participation in this project and look forward to see where it can go. Now, here is this weeks threat!
:ss/Tangrowth:
Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Changing it up to a defensive Pokemon this week, we have the tangster. AV tang has become one of the best glue mons in the tier due to it effectively handling many top threats like keldeo, primarina, lycanroc, and thundurus. Its great mixed bulk, ability in regenerator, and offensive presence has made it one of the pillars of our tier. This EV spread allows it to eat 2 secret swords from keldeo at full and retaliate back with a power whip. How will you lure this threat? Submissions are due Saturday May 1 at 11:59 PM PST

The Steela
:ss/celesteela:
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Block
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Air Slash

Every Tangrowth in the world just hard switches into steela to try to soak up a leech seed and then proceed to knock our lefties, the moment they try to knock us we just use block and proceed to air slash them to death, this is incredibly effective in the early game to open the path for a teammate like Keldeo or even CM Primarina.
Block also gives Celesteela a bit more complexity to its gameplay and not just being a generic wall

CALCS
0 SpA Celesteela Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 200+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 134-158 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Tangrowth Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 68-81 (17 - 20.3%) -- 0.3% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Tangrowth Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 53-63 (13.3 - 15.8%) -- guaranteed 6HKO

Last edited:
mew.gif
@ Life Orb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Psychic Fangs
- Roost

Mew comes in and sets up on tang with DD and flare blitz's it into oblivion and is free set up for mew.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mew Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Tangrowth: 335-395 (82.9 - 97.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Tangrowth Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 140-166 (34.6 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Rae

valiance and vigor
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Reserving Keldeo!

:ss/keldeo:

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Liquidation
- Close Combat

At +2, LO Megahorn is able to OHKO greatly in your favour, and it’s guaranteed when rocks are up! On top of that, it’s able to break through plenty of the tier at +2, so be wary!

Last edited:
reserve

:ss/Tapu Bulu:

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Close Combat
- Nature's Madness
- Megahorn

As trash as Tapu Bulu is, it can serve as a great Tangrowth lure!, having the opportunity of using Nature's Madness to halve Tangrowth's health on the switch and killing it with Megahorn. Thanks to the Assault Vest, it can also take a Sludge Bomb from it and help checking Pokemon like Keldeo, Primarina, etc.

Tapu Bulu Nature's Madness vs. 252 HP Tangrowth: 202-202 (50 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Tangrowth: 236-278 (58.4 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

0 SpA Tangrowth Sludge Bomb vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 200-236 (64.3 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

:ss/Azumarill:
Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest

Perishtrap azumatill is a great lure for AV tang, being even better since in my opinion tang should forego sludge bomb over rock slide. Anyway, normally tang wants to switch in to stop banded variants since even uninvested it is a good way to scout what moved azu is locked in. However, tang gets a nasty surprise when trying to switch into azumarill, being trapped by whirlpool. Earthquake is only a 5HKO, and by doing protect and perish song cycles you can effectively remove tangrowth, allowing pokemon it checks like primarina or thundurus to go ham with it gone.

romanji

/ᐠ - ˕ -マ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
:bw/crobat:
Crobat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 216 HP / 40 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang
- Roost
- Toxic

Crobat is a very unexplored Pokemon in UU this generation. the addition of Heavy-Duty Boots allows it to not have to worry about some of it's biggest weaknesses in Stealth Rock and provide it more longevity. Super Fang allows Crobat to remove half of Tangrowth's HP, and then follow up with Brave Bird after Stealth Rock.

40 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Tangrowth: 180-212 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Tangrowth Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 130-154 (34.7 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

:ss/rhyperior:
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn

With 28 Speed and Megahorn, Rhyperior can outrun and 2HKO this AV Tangrowth after Stealth Rock damage. Adamant nature with no investment is all you need to 2HKO Tangrowth after rocks.

Last edited:
:ss/krookodile:
Krookodile @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Power Trip
- Earthquake

Since this Tangrowth set uses Power Whip and not Giga Drain, Krookodile can set up 3 Bulk Ups and have a very good chance to KO Tangrowth, or get 4 and always KO it. If Tangrowth decides to go for Knock Off, it will not have enough time to KO Krookodile before it gets to +3 or even +4. If it just spams Power Whip, you can safely go for Rest after your second Bulk Up, and have enough health to get to +3 or +4

-1 0 Atk Tangrowth Power Whip vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 138-164 (41.6 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 0 Atk Tangrowth Power Whip vs. +2 0 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 104-126 (31.4 - 38%) -- 89.1% chance to 3HKO
-1 0 Atk Tangrowth Power Whip vs. +3 0 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 84-102 (25.3 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 0 Atk Tangrowth Power Whip vs. +4 0 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 68-84 (20.5 - 25.3%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
+3 252 Atk Krookodile Power Trip (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Tangrowth: 379-447 (93.8 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+4 252 Atk Krookodile Power Trip (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Tangrowth: 585-688 (144.8 - 170.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(happy 500 posts to me)
Its time to vote! Down below are the lures for AV Tang submitted for this week!
Block Celesteela by TotomonGang
Megahorn Keldeo by Codename Magnum
PerishTrap Azumarill by Monky25
Megahorn Rhyperior by Sickist
Power Trip Krookodile by JustFranco

:Tapu Bulu: by Lolito - this was actually a pretty creative lure, but unfortunately this does not work for this Tangrowth set. It would've counted if it had sludge bomb>rock slide but since this set doesn't, tang wouldn't really be switching into bulu anyway considering standard SD drops it with megahorn. I'm gonna have to disqualify this. Still, very creative lure and there will def be a time where you can submit it again and it will work

:Mew: by HydreigonTheChild - normally I wouldn't want to switch my AV tang on any mew. Knock removes its assault vest and ability to check primarina, but not counting that even will-o-wisp cripples it and lets it be set up fodder due to lack of an offensive presence. Cosmic power and nasty Plot sets eat tang for breakfast too. I get mew is a versatile pokemon and it could apply to a number of others, but the point is that tang shouldn't be switched into mew unless you know its set. Therefore, I have to disqualify this lure.

:Crobat: by UrAverageHuman - now this isn't even a lure, I'm unsure if you just got this confused with my other project Victim of the week. Under no circumstances would I send in tangrowth against a crobat unless I intend to sack it or something. Bat just chips me with super fang and KOs with brave bird, u-turns into something more threatening, or cripples me with toxic. In order to lure something in means the Pokemon wants to switch in on you or come in on a free switch to KO it. Tang doesn't do that with Crobat, therefore I'm disqualifying this submission.

Voting ends Tuesday, May 4 at 11:59 PM PST. My vote will be for Power Trip Krookodile

Voting has finished! There was a tier between myself and TotomonGang, so with a tiebreaker from Magnum....
785AE6D9-6250-4DB1-8DE1-8122B56F8AA8.jpeg

The winner for the week is TotomonGang and their Block Celesteela submission. Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the Hall of Fame. Now, lets take a look at the threat you have to lure for this week.

:ss/Nihilego:
Nihilego @ Black Sludge
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot

This week we have Nihilego! Nihilego has taken off in recent weeks, being an offensive Stealth Rock setter and wincon as of late. A high natural speed tier outspeeding the likes of Thundurus-Therian and Salamence alongisde great special bulk makes Nihilego a tough threat to handle. How will you lure this threat? Submissions are due Saturday may 8 at 11:59 PM PST.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)