Status
Not open for further replies.

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

QC BaconBagonz/ /
GP /​

[OVERVIEW]
  • Typing is also good defensively in general leaving it with only 3 weaknesses, and a large number of resistances such as Bug, Dragon, Electric, Fairy, Flying, Grass, Ice, Normal, Psychic, Rock, and Steel
  • Great SpA stat allows it to hit extremely hard especially when paired with Choice Specs.
  • Typing also leaves it immune to the two most common statuses of Paralysis and Poison.
  • Able to provide the team with momentum due to Volt Switch
  • Great ability allows it to trap and defeat most Steel-types, something which greatly benefits its team.
  • Awful speed allows it to be outsped by a lot even when paired with Scarf.
  • Lacks decent coverage options
  • Electric STAB leaves it easily countered by Ground-types
  • Many times has to try to 2hko things, which lets it be set up on or handled easily by things its supposed to counter
[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Hidden Power Fire
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Flash Cannon
item: Choice Specs
ability: Magnet Pull
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Volt Switch allows Magnezone to pivot out quickly and switch to a teammate that can better handle its foe.
  • HP Fire allows Magnezone to hit opposing trapped Steel-types such as Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn.
  • Thunderbolt is a harder hitting Electric-type STAB that doesn't force Magnezone out.
  • Flash Cannon is secondary STAB to hit foes that resist the Electric STAB hard.
Set Details
========
  • Magnet Pull allows Magnezone to prevent opposing Steel-types from switching out, allowing it to trap and eliminate them.
  • Choice Scarf allows Magnezone to outspeed many foes so it can revenge kill or pivot out quickly with a fast Volt Switch
  • Max EV's in SpA allow it to hit as hard as possible.
  • Max EVs in Speed along with Timid nature allow it to be as fast as possible.
Usage Tips
========
  • Even with max speed and scarf you are still able to be outsped and killed by base 116+ mons such as Aerodactly, Tornadus-T, and Mega Manectric.
  • Magnezone should be brought in on Steel-types when it is safe. It appreciates being brought in with Volt Switch, or U-turn.
  • Electric-type STAB has drawbacks of getting making Magnezone easy set up bait if the foe switches into a Ground-type, be careful.
  • This best works best when switched into something it can handle, either by being switched in after a team member faints, or being brought in via Volt Switch or U-turn.
Team Options
========
  • Magnezone appreciates being brought in via Volt Switch, Parting Shot or U-Turn so momentum users such as Landorus-T, slow Assault Vest Tornadus-T, Volt Switch Cobalion, or Partingi Shot Sableye, make good teammates for that reason.
  • Pokemon that appreciate having Steel-types removed such as Latios, Latias, Azumarill, Celebi, and Ferrothorn are good teammates for Magnezone as they like the support it offers in removing Steel-types.
  • Water and Grass types such as Rotom-W, Serperior, and Mega Sceptile work well with Magnezone as they can take care of Ground-types that would trouble it, and in return it eliminates Steel-types for them. Water-types appreciate having Ferrothorn removed.
  • Hazard setters such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Ferrothorn work well as they are able to set hazards to damage the foe, which is extremely important at letting Magnezone pick up extra kills.
[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Hidden Power Fire
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Flash Cannon
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Magnet Pull
nature: Modest
evs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Volt Switch allows Magnezone to damage the foe as well as maintain momentum..
  • HP Fire allows Magnezone to OHKO most Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn variants
  • Thunderbolt is a hard hitting Electric-type STAB that can severely damage foes that don't resist it.
  • Flash Cannon is secondary STAB to give strong neutral coverage.
Set Details
========
  • Magnet Pull allows Magnezone to trap opposing Steel-types.
  • Choice Specs allows Magnezone to hit extremely hard, picking up a OHKO on Scizor, Mega Scizor, as well as having a chance for OHKO on non max SpD Ferrothorn variants.
  • Max EV's in SpA along with Modest nature, allow it to hit as hard as possible.
  • 84 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed Skarmory with no Speed investment.
  • 140 allow you to outspeed Heatan, and Mega Scizor with no speed investment
Usage Tips
========
  • Magnezone should be brought in to take out the opponent's Steel-types. Switch it in when you are either predicting a switch, or switch it in after you lose a mon to an opposing Steel-type.
  • Electric-type STAB can lead to problems because opposing Ground-types are immune, and they either get a free set up opportunity or an easy kill.
  • This best works early game to take Steel-types out of commission for its teammates to have an easier time sweeping late game.
  • Prediction is important as you want to use Flash Cannon if you predict your foe will switch to a Ground-type.
  • Magnezone is capable of taking out many foes not just the Steel-types it traps. Don't underestimate its Special Attack.
Team Options
========
  • Magnezone appreciates a Parting Shot, Volt Switch or U-Turn user as a teammate so it can be switched in on Steel-types easily. Teammates such as Landorus-T, slow Assault Vest Tornadus-T, Volt Switch Cobalion, or Partingi Shot Sableye make good teammates for that reason.
  • Pokemon that don't do well against Steel-types, such as Latios, Latias, Azumarill, Celebi, Porygon-Z and Ferrothorn are good teammates for Magnezone as they like opposing Steel-types removed.
  • Grass types such as Celebi, Serperior, and Mega Sceptile work well with Magnezone as they beat Ground-types Magnezone struggles with, and it defeats Steel-types they may struggle with. that would trouble it, and in return it eliminates Steel-types for them.
  • Hazard setters such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Ferrothorn are important for Magnezone, as it needs hazards up to be able to OHKO opponents such as some Ferrothorn variants, making a OHKO possible on Excadrill.
  • Paralysis support in the form of Glare Porygon-2, Thunderwave Tyranitar, or Thunder Wave Ferrothorn also work well as they can slow down to foe to make up for Magnezone's bad speed.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • A set with Doom Desire and King's Shield can also be run
  • If you are using a rain team, a set with Thunder could be run.
  • Nuzzle is another option to paralyze the foe.
  • Metal Burst is an option to run with Sturdy is a surprise option to take out opposing foes that hit you hard.
  • Autotomize allows Magnezone to boosts its speed and be in a better position to sweep the opponent, doesn't lock you into a move. However, it can still be outsped by fast scarf users.
  • Magnet Rise or Air Ballon allow Magnezone to get rid of its 4x ground weakness. Magnet Rise and Air Balloon can be used together to handle pokemon that require Ground-type coverage to take it down.
  • Substitute + Leftovers + Charge Beam is another option to take down foes.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Ground-types such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Hippowdon are immune to Magnezone's main stab, and they can easily OHKO with a Ground-type attack.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon greater than 115 base speed, as well as opposing scarf users such as Alakazam, Mega Beedrill, Dugtrio, Mega Lopunny, Talonflame, and Scarf Heatran, are able to outspeed and OHKO Magnezone even if it is carrying a scarf.

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Chansey, Porygon2, and Meloetta don't take much from Magnezone's attacks.

**Electric-types**: Electric types such as Rotom-H, Mega Manectric, Raikou, and opposing Magnezone resist both of Magneton's STABs and can either set up on it, or hit it hard in return.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Heatran, Rotom-H, and Charizard Mega X, resist Magnezone's Steel STAB and are able OHKO it with their STAB Fire-type attacks.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting Types such as Mega Lopunny, and Terrakion trouble Magnezone as they are able to OHKO it with their STAB.

Last edited:

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry this took so long, but its done and ready for QC. I went back and forth on whether a Specs set deserved its own set or not. I decided to give it a heavy mention in OO. If QC members feel it needs its own set i will easily make that change.

baconbagon

free stabmons
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hmmmmm I'm going to weigh in on the Specs debate. Other QC members please discuss D:

I think Choice Specs is really good. Flash Cannon is much harder for bulky Ground-types that want to block Volt Switch to switch into. It also deals a pretty neat amount of damage to specially bulky Pokemon such as Mega Latias, and also acts as a far more threatening wallbreaker versus stuff like Rotom-W. Leech Seed + Synthesis + King's Shield Ferrothorn or similar can also keep alive for an exceptionally annoying amount of time against Choice Scarf Magnezone, and heavily deplete it of its health.

Choice Scarf Magnezone is also still outsped by annoying stuff such as Weavile and Talonflame and for that reason I often prefer Choice Scarf Magneton during teambuilding.

So yeah overall I think Choice Specs deserves a set. Also you should make sure the set will be functional on the Dex with Hidden Power Fire instead of HP Fire and capitalised Flash Cannon.

baconbagon

free stabmons
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
- The overview seems sorta like it's listing all of Magnezone's qualities in an overwhelming sequence. Could you idk clarify it a little and solidify the individual points?
- For starters, I'd probably include something about its massive list of resistances. For example, it takes on non-Earth Power Kyurem-B pretty well. Resistance to Fake Out + Extreme Speed is also encompassed if you name that it resists the common attacking type of Normal
- Immunity to paralysis and poison also seems a little odd to include in an Overview, as you pick Pokemon for their Electric- and Steel-typings rather than their immunity to status
- Also mention how trapping Steel-types is incredibly beneficial to many teammates
- Ground-types seriously struggle to switch in on Magnezone, and based on that line, people would assume that Ground-types beat all Electric-types in general. It just doesn't make that much sense imo
- In general I don't think that the Overview would make a lot of sense to a newer player, but I assume that'll change when it's written up so yeah

Choice Scarf
Moves
- Hidden Power Fire isn't really used to hit Steel-types, given that neutral Thunderbolt hits them harder than super effective Hidden Power Fire. You should describe how it hits the foes that Magnezone is meant to trap, namely Scizor and Ferrothorn.
- Flash Cannon isn't really for targeting super effective foes either, it's sorta used for its neutral coverage on many Electric resists

Set Details
- Again, Choice Scarf isn't used to outspeed other Steel-types: it's used to outspeed and revenge kill a majority of the unboosted metagame.

Usage Tips
- Eh Choice Scarf Magnezone isn't necessarily an early-game Pokemon, it can revenge kill stuff like Thundurus really well and sweep late-game with its reasonably strong STAB moves
- Heatran isn't really something that Magnezone would be trying to trap anyway because of its Fire STAB so idk why it's relevant
- Magnezone doesn't actually get 'trapped' by a Ground-type switch-in (except for lord Dugtrio)

Team Options
- Thundurus-T + Magnezone seems kinda redundant and bad. I don't feel that Magnezone actually needs 'slow' VoltTurn partners, because all it needs is Pokemon that can actually force in the Steel-types that it enjoys taking on. I'm not sure Forretress should be here either because I view it as kinda bad, but that's up to you. Also Parting Shot users are good pivots
- You could narrow it down to Water-types appreciating Ferrothorn being removed, because they have an good matchup against Steel-types in very broad terms

Choice Specs
Moves
- Mention the stronger Hidden Power Fire now OHKOing most variants of Scizor and Ferrothorn
- Once again Flash Cannon is used for strong neutral coverage on things like Ground- and Dragon-types

Set Details
- Outspeeding Skarmory seems pretty important honestly to stop it from getting those extra layers of Spikes up or whatever. I'd make it the main spread
- Klefki seems odd because it's not going to be attacking you, just getting up Prankster Spikes. Outspeeding Heatran and bulky Mega Scizor before it can use Knock Off should probably be the specifics
- 0 Speed Excadrill is also basically not seen in STABmons and it's also pretty hard to scout what its investment is during the game. Trapping Excadrill with Magnezone just sounds odd

Usage Tips
- Mention the importance of predicting switch-ins, especially Ground-types, and hitting them with a strong Flash Cannon
- It's sorta vague here but Magnezone is also a really solid wallbreaker outside of trapping Steel-types

Team Options
- Concentrate on sweepers that need Steel-types removed, as they're the ones that benefit most from Magnet Pull support
- Yeah basically same things as the last part

Other Options
- Mention that Magnet Rise and Air Balloon work well together, as it ends up stopping Pokemon that rely on Ground coverage to hit Magnezone (such as Rock Polish Landorus-T, SD Excadrill, that kind of thing) really well
- Add that Autotomize Magnezone can dish out strong attacks really well, but it's so slow that it can still be outsped at +2 by Choice Scarf users such as Keldeo, Terrakion, and Latios (the latter can't hit it hard, but it can lock it into something with Trick)
- Substitute + Leftovers is a nice old set that can function well under some circumstances, sometimes with Charge Beam

Checks and Counters
- Add Fighting-types in some way or another
- And yeah you could clarify it to 'Choice Scarf Users and Faster Pokemon' or something, because they tend to post a massive threat with super effective coverage

honestly i don't think there are any issues with the content, but i just don't think that the way things are worded rn make a lot of sense in an analysis. nice work!

QC 1/3

bzzt

overview:
  • i wouldn't say poison is *the* most popular. just say it's immune to two common statuses. thunder wave -> will-o-wisp -> toxic -> sleep / freeze is how i've always seen it for future reference.
  • now that i think about it more, could you expand on why having an immunity to it is nice? what pokemon use the move? how does magnezone take advantage of the immunities?
  • not liking the sentence on electric-type stab. just change it to be like... "magnezone is usually forced to play a mindgame against common ground-types, such as landorus-t and garcohmp, which prevents it from freely spamming its electric stab" something like that.
choice scarf:
  • you have the item as choice specs for some reason, and the next set as choice scarf. don't forget to change that and switch them around in the item: portion of the set.
  • feel like doom desire needs a mention in moves. it hits ridiculously hard coming from magnezone, and just the opponent knowing a strong doom desire is coming is always helpful.
  • slow assault vest tornadus-t isn't a thing as far as i'm aware. instead, i'd mention that tornadus in general is a good partner, but idk why assault vest specifically is pointed out.
choice specs:
  • again, the doom desire thing. but this time, with a modest choice specs!
  • also the slow vest torn-t again^ .
overall, this is a solid analysis. however, a lot of little tweaks need to be made, which bacon touched on. things like "electric-types" should always be followed by "such as" in my opinion, or "like" when the time is right. there needs to be more examples in the analysis to make it much more thorough. i didn't point out all instances, but it does occur a lot throughout the analysis. an example is in moves, where you describe how flash cannon hits electric-resistant targets. this needs to be expanded or else the reader will be confused, since electric-types resist flash cannon as well. instead, mention things like dragon-types (and specify which dragon-types) and grass-types (and specify which grass-types). do that with as much as you can and this analysis will rock!

qc 2/3

EV

Banned deucer.
Overview
  • Magnezone's defensive merits don't jump out at me as its main selling points. As such, you shouldn't open the analysis talking about how many types it resists because that's not the primary reason it's used.
  • What you should start out with is its ability to trap Steels for its teammates that struggle to get past them.
    • Side note: Magnezone shouldn't be relied on as a FakeSpeed check itself because Normals carry coverage to beat it. Mega Lopunny has Fighting STAB, Ursaring has Earthquake, Stoutland and Braviary have Superpower. Being resistant to Normal is a nice perk but don't count on it unless you want to add a King's Shield set for scouting coverage.
  • "Many times has to try to 2HKO things it traps such as Ferrothorn, or Mega, which allows foes to either set up on it or give them the chance to set hazards." This sentence doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Are you trying to say it struggles to 2HKO Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Mega (Scizor), because it doesn't. Both are clean 2HKOs with HP Fire.
  • Also, even if it can't guarantee stopping hazards, that's not its job. Its job is removing Steels for the rest of your team. So what if Klefki keeps throwing Spikes out? You trap and 2HKO with Thunderbolt while it fails to harm you in return. Later you Defog.
  • "Magnezone unfortunately has an awful Speed stat, which allows it to be outsped by many foes even when paired with Scarf." This is why Scarf isn't that good. 1) It's still slow. 2) It already outspeeds things it wants to trap (some Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Klefki's Prankster is irrelevant) without a Scarf.
  • Overall the Overview isn't up to par. It's a bit rambly and disjointed. A few sentences aren't even on the same line, making it read like it's still in bullet form. Please condense and make it more cohesive.

Set 1 - Choice Scarf
  • I don't like Scarf. I think it should be third.
  • Why no mention of Normal-types under Team Options? They love having Klefki, Skarmory, and even Ferrothorn gone so they don't have to play games with coverage/dodge King's Shield/etc.

Set 2 - Choice Specs
  • IIRC Doom Desire isn't boosted by Specs unless Magnezone is on the field the turn it hits. Something you might want to include.

Set 3 - It's A Trap! (idk what else to call it, make this #1)
  • The set I've run to lots of success is King's Shield/Thunderbolt/Flash Cannon/HP Fire with Life Orb or Air Balloon which lets it remove the Steel-types it needs to while also providing general utility for the rest of the match.
  • This also allows more flexibility with running Doom Desire and Volt Switch, since you can abuse King's Shield to buy a turn and Volt Switch when they switch to absorb the Doom Desire attack.
  • With an Air Balloon you have a better matchup versus Ground-types.
baconbagon The Reptile ellipse tagged for their opinion

Other Options
  • n/a

Checks & Counters
  • Your Fighting checks can't switch in directly. Make that apparent please.

I'm going to wait for feedback before stamping.

Last edited:

baconbagon

free stabmons
Yeah a non-Choice set is ok, although personally I prefer Air Balloon + Magnet Rise because so many Pokemon rely on Ground coverage to hit Magnezone. I'm not too sure where things like Doom Desire and Volt Switch would fit but they can be slashed with Magnezone's reliable STAB attacks I guess

baconbagon

free stabmons
Unfortunately, Scyther is too busy to finish off this analysis, so it'll be moved and put up for reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)