Suspect STABmons Suspect 4 - Gouging Fire: I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader

STABmons Council has voted Gouging Fire for Suspect Testing!
Gouging Fire is extremely strong in STABmons, where it gained a select few moves that further bolstered it's offensive sweeping potential. From its fire typing it gained access to Bitter Blade, which was a relatively high-powered move that gave a way for Gouging Fire to maintain offensive pressure in addition to sustaining itself, making it harder to revenge or wear down. As for its Dragon typing, it gained access to two reliable high-powered STABs in the form of Dragon Darts which was non-contact but lower in power, and Glaive Rush which was stronger but is contact and had an inherent post-move cost in increased damage taken. These simple additions made an already strong sweeper even better, letting it drop recovery entirely due to Bitter Blade, enabling it to run Earthquake to aid in taking down Toxapexes and Heatrans.

Standard Gouging Fires would look something along these lines:
Speed Improving Booster Energy
Gouging Fire @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 88 HP / 168 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Bitter Blade
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Attack Improving Booster Energy
Gouging Fire @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Bitter Blade
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Though these two options really are the tip of the iceberg as there is potential deviations possible, such as running Substitute or running Heavy Duty Boots among other unexplored possibilities.

This all being said, Gouging Fire is not without problems. There are no small number of defensive and offensive Pokémon that pressure Gouging Fire, such as Ting Lu, Landorus-Therian, and Great Tusk among others. All these Pokémon have great qualities that let them have a decent chance of handling Gouging Fire, often forcing it to Tera Flying to avoid being KO'd by STAB ground coverage. Furthermore, Landorus-therian shares the exact same speed tier, meaning that if scarfed can speed tie with a +1 attack improving Gouging Fires and in tandem with intimidate strips it of an attack boost. Ting Lu is capable of pivoting away from Gouging Fire or pressure through Precipice Blades, even rarely capable of fully shutting down a Gouging Fire through Topsy Turvy. Yet, in spite of saying this, it is undeniable that Gouging Fire is fully capable of breaking past these Pokémon, and all others, and as such we have decided to suspect test it.

Requirements:
Requirements can be achieved by getting minimum 75 GXE in 25 games on the STABmons ladder. In order to participate in the suspect, you must create a fresh alt (creation date no earlier than 3/17/2024) with the prefix STBGF at the start of the name. When you have obtained the reqs, make sure to post proof of your alt's record (generally a screenshot) in this thread, and if you wish to do so, you can also share your thoughts on the test here.

Voting:
Once the suspect period is over, everyone who has obtained reqs will be tagged. The post will then outline a process of blind voting, which will be clarified once the time arrives. For now, follow the above "Requirements" subheading to ensure that you have posted your reqs correctly. You must post on this thread in order to be tagged in the voting thread, however you do not need to include your vote on this thread.

A super-majority of 60% ban votes is required for Gouging Fire to be banned.

TL;DR
-Gouging Fire will be allowed on ladder
- The minimum GXE requirement is 75 and the minimum game count is 25
- You must ladder on a newly-created alt using the prefix STBGF
- You must post your reqs in this thread, though the voting process will happen in a separate thread. You are not required to state your vote in this thread.
- The suspect test will conclude at 3/31/2024 at 11:59 PM GMT-5
- A ban vote of 60% is required to ban Gouging Fire in STABmons.

Last edited:
1710795302182.png
Looks like i'm the first one!Had a blast doing this, but in some of the matches, the opposing teams were making my scratch my head, but that's how it is in general with these types of things.
https://pokepast.es/9f93e595f58c26e9 scarf ttar sounds bad but can get a lof of surprise ko's, also, looking now at the team, ur better off running parting shot instead of memento probably.Anyway, gl to the others! :sphearical:

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader

Two loses were me being sloppy and throwing honestly.

Leaning DNB, Neon will have to convince me to vote otherwise. Like yeah, it can sometimes sweep team there is so much in the way of offensive pressure, booster energy mons that are innately faster, hazards, priority, defensive tera's, and so forth that get in the way of it making a clean sweep.

https://pokepast.es/e80abca9f8e01b54 Team I used was this one, Porygon2 is amazing, Boomburst + Shadow Ball hits most of the tier at least neutrally, Astral Barrage users struggle breaking it, and Transform is great at reversing setup sweeps or scouting.

Slither Wing

used First Impression!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
1710968372531.png

Spammed webs, can't say it's that good of a team but it works good enough: :ribombee: :gholdengo: :bisharp: :latias: :kyurem: :ogerpon-wellspring:

Can't really say that Gouging Fire was a huge problem, it's kind of just there with all the other potential setup sweepers, it's not notably different from them and I don't really think it's overbearing enough to be bannable, so will vote Do not Ban for now.

Clas

my main tier is yes
is a Tiering Contributor
gfire is stupid broken and should 100% go, ill make a longer post at some point but this replay vs gimlaf in sustour 2 finals just explains why https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9stabmons-2088966775. its so easy to get a dd up and just win on the spot from the stupidest scenarios ever, and just using it is enough to show off why it is so stupidly unbalanced. tera accuentuates but id still vote ban without tera legal, its that crazy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)