Standards for Grammar / Spelling, What a Good Writer Looks out for

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Superpower is less than 12 letters (and is one word in the english dictionary) so capitalizing "SuperPower" doesn't fit within the first rule.

I assume Base Power is not capatilized but may someone please confirm? Sorry if this was already brought up.

oh and another question. When Pokemon types are used in a list, what is the popular punctuation?

Steel- and Water-type
Steel and Water-type

Fire-, Steel-, and Water-type
Fire , Steel , and Water-type

etc. I'm just asking because I saw a few variations.

Also, for consistancy's sake, I assume we're using all american forms of words.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yes, American English is used on Smogon.

Steel and Water-types is the way to do it, I think.

I always use "Base Power" because it's a game term that's always capitalized in game, but I could be wrong.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"switch in", "switchin" or "switch-in", referring to a Pokemon that often switches in on another?

e.g. "Scizor is a common switch in / switchin / switch-in to Latias"

Base Power, yes, since that's what Nintendo uses. Speed tiers are an object of the community, so no. It would be Speed tier.

Something that seems to trip me up:

Statting up? or Stating up?

The former just looks and sounds weird, and the latter is more like stating a fact!

I'd probably go for statting..

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally, I'd just avoid using that phrase entirely. However, "stating" is actually a word that means something completely different from what we intend it too. So, I'd use "statting"; but again my preference is to just avoid using that entirely.

[02:49:24] <Twash> is it
[02:49:26] <Twash> statting up
[02:49:26] <Twash> or stating
[02:49:46] <darkie> post about it in the grammar standards thread!
[02:49:55] <darkie> they both look weird
[02:50:02] <darkie> try to just avoid it

this just started bugging me, when listing pokemon types would it be for example:

Fire-, Bug-, and Ice-types

or

Fire, Bug, and Ice-types

i used the latter but i saw katherine use the former. are both correct, or is there a preferred one?

Sephirona

t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I've had a few English professors express disdain for the relatively new trend of adding 'up's at the end of certain verbs where they're not needed. xD

If anything, I'd put them together to make them a specific phrase, and change it into a noun.
"Stat-up"
"Stat-upping"

But I suppose that's too complicated and annoying. D:

Can I please get somebody to double check the capitalization of U-turn in game, preferably with a picture or something?

edit: thanks havak :)

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
U-turn is "U-turn" when listed as a TM in your Bag or when listed on any Pokémon's move-set. However, in-battle, U-turn is for some reason changed to "U-Turn". Since we're using the TM listed or move-set versions of U-turn, we should, and do use "U-turn" as the correct form. If we want Shoddy Battle 2 to have 100% correct battle logs, it should be "U-Turn" there, but since that's still in development, doesn't need to be discussed here, and quite frankly hardly makes a difference, it doesn't matter.

U-turn is correct, use it.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is the suspect metagame supposed to be capitalized like the Overused and Underused names are?

I think Suspect should be capitalized, if only for consistency's sake.

edit: on second thought, suspect is not exactly a "tier".

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I only ask because I noticed it was not capitalized in the Stage 3 Suspect Metagame Analysis article, and couldn't decide if it needed to be corrected or not.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would like to point out that "outspeed" is technically not a word. Try to use "outpace" or "outrun".

Also ignore any post after this by darkie claiming that we have coined a new word. :)

[02:43:54] <%Stellar> is there a specific rule in grammar thread
[02:43:59] <%Stellar> about using the word outspeed
[02:44:05] <%Stellar> because technically
[02:44:08] <%darkie> not that i remember
[02:44:08] <%Stellar> outspeed isn't a word
[02:44:11] <%darkie> technically it's not a word
[02:44:18] <%Stellar> yeah
[02:44:18] <%darkie> outrun is though
[02:44:22] <%Stellar> :\
[02:44:26] <%Stellar> outpace
[02:44:26] <%Stellar> etc
[02:44:32] <%darkie> yup
[02:44:42] <%darkie> i'd like to think we coined a new word though

any thoughts?

I quite like outspeed, but if there's that much of a problem I think outpace and outrun both work - it doesn't really matter. Outspeed is fine in my view, but maybe that's because I have used it so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)