Starcraft 2

I play as well, although it's taken a bit of a backseat lately, if only for a while.

Orpheus.126 @NA

Just recently got the game and broke into Gold on all ladders, with Diamond on 2v2 (the one that's after gold, one of the two).

Oh Squarewalker said progamer, haha. I was confused as to why anyone would have such a serious attitude towards being a programmer. I say more luck to you, you'll be living the dream if you can make a decent living out of it.
Thanks, it'll be a fucking blast if I succeed. I like how what I want to achieve pretty much coincides with what most people probably want to see: entertaining/unpredictable/unique/non-standard yet solid enough playstyle in order to actually win, coming from a Random player (if TLO didn't slump, improved his mechanics and stayed in Korea, he could've had a lot more potential than even during the beta;

by the way, in fact most of Liquid has been unfortunately slumping a lot; and especially now that EG trolled them with signing HuK, they even lost their best player; at least they have Sheth now, though, who is imo the best foreigner Zerg right now (and ironically actually beat HuK), and although Ret did win at Warsaw, he's been a very hit-and-miss, inconsistent kind of deal since forever really, although with an insane amount of potential).

Most people who know me that I had played SC:BW, dota, chess, pokemon, etc etc. with know that they must literally be prepared for anything (and then I might just mindfuck them even more by playing almost completely standard apart from throwing in 1 non-standard thing at them midway through to get them all paranoid again after they sort of started to calm down thinking that I won't do anything out of the ordinary that time). Having seen so many SC2 games I've figured out what works that isn't used yet so I guess I'll be ahead of the curve but that timing window is starting to close the later I manage to get into the scene.

Also I like how Random can actually be imbalanced, as you get the upperhand coinflip at the start in PvP (as well as ZvZ) and they must actually scout early, so people who are extremely solid can actually abuse that (although it must be near fucking impossible to stand up against MC's godly unit control, no matter how solid you are at taking advantage of even the smallest things until then), so you're not actually always completely lost against someone who's been maining the race in a mirror matchup; and TvT works in such way due to Tanks that it is back-and-forth and strategy-/positioning-oriented enough for a Random player to still have a decent chance against a full-time T player.

And yeah, I'm aware it'll be literally impossible to prepare and practice strats for all 9 matchups on all maps in the tournaments' map pools especially after starting to play so late, but I think I have enough experience and can think fast enough even under pressure to come up with stuff on the spot during the games themselves if really necessary.

Drama/e-drama and grudge matches also attract a lot of attention, or should I say most of the attention (fortunately or unfortunately? I'll leave that up to debate, I personally think it's a bit sad that most people will only ever really watch it for the drama rather than for the games themselves, although it's 100% understandable - then again, a lot of players don't even have an entertaining enough to watch playstyle so yeah),

e.g. see how TL and many other forums, facebook, twitter, reddit, etc. all exploded the moment IdrA vs MC was announced for Round of 16 at DH Summer, and the stream's viewercount literally went up from 23,000 to 89,000 in 15 minutes which was way more than for the finals between HuK and Moonglade (which went up rather slowly from 21k to 65k).

There'll surely be a lot of drama around me, so I guess if I can actually win with some really creative shit against top players despite just now appearing out of nowhere, starting to play 1 and a half year after everyone else + being the first SC2 progamer from my country + representing the brony community + having interesting interviews, I'll have a pretty fucking insaneously large fanbase and viewercount on streams.

edit: Oh and "Someone who has run the MLG circuit a few times in the past is looking to build himself a team of FiM fans for his next one. If you are awesome at video games, check out his profile here for more information, and send him a message." (source). MLP MLG team much? If the brony and SC2 communities merge on a large scale that truly will be the ultimate troll to eSports (and I'll also do everything for that to actually happen). Ironically enough, Blizzard themselves are also praising stuff like this on their own blogs right below their Day[9] appreciation stuff, which got taken over pretty fast in the comments.

Now Day[9] just needs to do a Rarity impression on his stream; I nearly fell out of my chair when he started making a lot of very, very subtle references (debatable I guess) in the Liftoff funday monday daily (which is btw one of his best ones to date imo along with Contaminate / Warp Prisms / Nydus / Starportcraft / Alphabetical FFA with Uniden / Expand every 5 mins / Audience Improv / Carrier rush / BC rush). I like how his 1v1 funday mondays (other than the audience improv one) can actually be learnt from as well when it comes to experimenting with new, crazy ideas.

Also the most irritating thing is when randoms boast about how they have the newest, absolute top tier computers + a lot of gaming gear from Razer, but when they're being asked about what league are they in, they say Bronze. ...such a waste + the tone of their posts just makes me angry. Seriously, if I was told I'll get a comp that can run SC2 on medium settings if I can get to A+ on iCCup in 2 weeks, I'd do the impossible (without pulling a Combat-Ex of course).

Also most people say B- iCCup level is pretty much High Masters or even Grandmasters League, and SC2 mechanics are a joke compared to SC:BW ones, and you can even get away with just 100 or even less APM like White-Ra, Goody and Sjow (although, admittedly, Sjow has been getting punished quite a lot lately for his relatively low APM), as opposed to 200-300+ in BW (or 500 if we're talking about NaDa when he played BW). I don't want to turn this into a SC2 vs BW thread, just BW players have an easy time transitioning, and SC2 not being as mechanically demanding is the main reason why foreigners can actually compete well with Koreans.

Don't have it yet, but I'm planning on buying it this fall or winter. Played the hell out of Brood War back before SC2 was out.

Does it still have UMS/custom game maps? I never got much into the vanilla game, but the UMS games were awesome.

If you play SC2 professionally and go to MLG, you should come visit me at the PlayStation Compound! I'm at every event! :)

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Cool, there is finally an SC2 thread!

tushy.218, NA, Gold Protoss, Terran last season (Surpisingly a lot of people here seem to play protoss). Yeah I am not that good, but I have only really played for 3 months on and off, and SC2 is my first RTS experience. I do watch a lot of professional streams though, I am a particularly huge fan of White-Ra and his speshul taktiks! I don't like discussing balance, but I have always had a hard time fighting against a Zerg player who actually plays an honest macro game and doesn't all-in.

Anyway, I am more than happy to practice with anyone or play custom games. I think I would get a lot of better if I motivated myself to ladder more frequently but sometimes it isn't as fun with messing around with friends.

i was wondering when a sc2 thread would be made

I play occasionally, although atm i'm mostly (as in averaging like .5 games per day) just playing vs AI to try to help me with macro, remembering things, etc before I play a lot of actual people. If anyone wants to play though I will !! I've been playing as Zerg lately, right now I think that's probably what i will end up using since i don't like using Protoss, and I think I was ok with Terran but just didn't enjoy it as much as Zerg

like most other people here i watch day9 etc, anyone who doesn't watch his videos should definitely start

my sc2 name is Thunder, I'm not sure about the code though, where do I go to find that? Also, do we have an IRC channel?

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Dakota.203. Yeah day[9] is awesome etc etc. I'm not really sure what my rank is as I trolled into bronze in most recent season and now I'm facing gold/top silver and winning the majority of my games. In 2v2 I'm plat so that's all I've been playing since it's more difficult. Hopefully I'll get promoted soon. Last season I was top bronze but didn't get the game soon enough to get promoted.
Was toss last season then switched to random. I might switch to zerg since all I do is expand and hurl units.

i was wondering when a sc2 thread would be made

I play occasionally, although atm i'm mostly (as in averaging like .5 games per day) just playing vs AI to try to help me with macro, remembering things, etc before I play a lot of actual people. If anyone wants to play though I will !! I've been playing as Zerg lately, right now I think that's probably what i will end up using since i don't like using Protoss, and I think I was ok with Terran but just didn't enjoy it as much as Zerg

like most other people here i watch day9 etc, anyone who doesn't watch his videos should definitely start

my sc2 name is Thunder, I'm not sure about the code though, where do I go to find that? Also, do we have an IRC channel?
imo playing vs AI is ok to hammer out a build order up to ~40 food but past that if you want to practice macro/remembering things there is no good substitute for playing real people.

if you hover over your portrait (or something in that area of the screen) in the main menu it'll pop up your character code - or you can click add friend and it'll tell you what your code is.

no irc channel but a few of us have been idling in the BNet channel "smogon"... we have nothing to talk about though. and everyone is protoss so I don't want to ask them to play since that would be a pvp...

VKCA

Why do people hate pvp so much? When I was toss last season pvp was the only thing I consistently won.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally hate pvp because it always turns into either 4 gate wars or Colossus wars, and is just inherently boring.

May as well add to the vast majority of brotoss up in this. High silver NA player here. Name is Killjoy.991
Is the smogon room very active?

VKCA

okay so I've ended up playing a lot of terran because the randomiser is broken or something and at first I was like "god damn there is nothing fun about this race"
And terran's my worst too so I dropped a couple ranks. But then I started thor rushing. Anybody else tried it? It's sort of all in ish but christ it's so much fun and I have yet to lose doing it.

haha I think terran is really fun to play, I've been offracing terran mech in team games recently. boy when it takes 10 seconds for someone to pull workers, you are getting a lot of kills with that blue flame hellion drop or banshee. people love running their army into your siege line too... no dude, 5 immortals don't do shit when I have 20 tanks...

I actually lost to someone doing a thor build on ladder a few days ago. scouted two marines as well as gas so I figured he was going a tech build probably 1/1/1, so I did a FE robo build. when my obs got to his base I saw reactor barracks, tech lab factory, and no CC, so I was looking for the tech lab starport to confirm the 1/1/1 all-in... then I saw a fucking armory HOLY SHIT. well thankfully the counters to the 1/1/1 all-in and the thor rush aren't very different because he showed up at my base 10 seconds later, but I crushed his initial push. unfortunately I'm not an aggressive player so I wasn't comfortable counterattacking into his natural w/ bunkers + thor with SCVs on auto-repair so I let him re-macro up and I lost to a 2/2 6 Thor push in the midgame :(. lesson learned I suppose!

btw, if you're set on doing a thor rush try proxying the factory since the thor is so slow.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I used to do proxy factory thor rushes against protoss during my early days in bronze. Of course, it was satisfying to win since I was a pretty terrible player back then, but I realized that I would never really improve if I just cheesed every game, no matter how hilarious it may be. Eventually I learned how to do standard MMM or Marine Tank and actually got better playing the game in general. Of course if I am playing a game just for fun, I would do something like this occasionally, though if you are a real man, you would mass a 200/200 army of thors in FFA while aggressively expanding and smack talking all of your opponents in the process.

On the topic of Terrans, there's nothing more hilarious than a 10 minute medivac thor drop in their main. If their army isn't there, you'll have no issue killing off their mineral line. As for other matchups against non-Terrans, I often incorporate ghosts later in the game simply because Infestors and Brotoss caster units are a pain. Not to mention the EMP skill basically being an AOE on protoss due to the 100 shield damage.

Count me in. 2v2 and 3v3 Masters. Yes, I'm a Master League player...just not in solo.

ScalgonDelta.713 @ NA

I'll be willing to play with anyone here. Maybe teach you guys a thing or two. I don't play Terran though...mainly a Zerg player.

just got done with my placement matches -- 5 for 5 baby, platinum league! ended it with a zvz which is arguably my worst matchup. guess i wasn't as rusty as i thought. still, there's a lot that needs to be refined in my play, so if any experienced zerg players have advice to give, i'd appreciate it.

my username/character code is brer.537 -- kind of wish i could change my name but i guess it's whatever. i'm in smogon whenever i'm online, so i hope to see you guys there.

So when I play I just generally cheese, well only when I'm playing my mates. I play terran and so stuff like proxy BC or fly my command centre straight down to gold. Build a planetary fortress and stick it as close to your oppenets mineral line as possible. It kills of there workers if you can get close enough and then you can mine from there base if you feel dickess enough.

Also for casters I'm liking totalbiscuit casting with mc.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Watched most of MLG this weekend with some other people on irc. I am a noob with a slow computer, and watching these pro games just blow me away every time @.@ Not only do they have like 200+ apm for a 30 minute long game, but they play so many games in one day...

/goes to watch a day9 daily and scribbles down notes

As a side note, I was surprised at the great manners of korean players/sc2 players in general. They always shake hands or whatever, whereas American players dont sometimes (ahem idra). Guess I'm used to ragequits and bm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if anyone wants to have a super casual game with me, im on irc :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)