Starcraft 2

I am thoroughly overjoyed with Terran's new air units. M&M&M is still viable, but vikings and banshees are just amazing compared to SC1's lack of air troops. What's more, the siege tank is still useful, even though you can't mass it anymore.

Then again, I've only been playing AI. *sneakily inserts a shameful beg for a beta key invite.*

natalie

property of alex
i -just- got my beta key referral from a friend, i'm scared to play unless it doesn't live up to my expectations. i've been watching video previews for months! i think i'll wait until i complete tiberian twilight :/

Well, I LOVE Starcraft setries but i didnt got one key... if anyone got a referral one and dont know who to send... please consider me! :)

I don't know if anybody else will agree with me, but I think StarCraft 2 can wait. The problem I have is that StarCraft: Brood War is just such a perfect game that it'll be hard to be better than it. Upon the releasing of StarCraft 2, it is fact that it will not be balanced like StarCraft: Brood War.

I believe StarCraft is like wine, it gets better as it ages - through more balancing.

^You must be one of those guys that doesn't like participating in Suspect Testing or something. Because that's essentially what's going on right now.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've played beta on my friend's key who lent it to me a few times on his laptop. Getting my ass whooped is not my favorite thing to do.

Still an awesome game though. I'm not familiar enough with the game itself to comment on it (shame, I'm a Korean too LOL), but I know that there are definitely some balance issues (might have been rectified in the last patch or whatnot)

So I've been in the beta since the first week (lucky me), and I feel like I should share some of my thoughts thus far.

As a hardened SC veteran, I'm probably a bit more jaded than most. When you've spent years playing, and following the scene of, the most balanced and skill-intensive RTS ever, that comes with the territory. So naturally I have some gripes about the balance, and especially the map quality so far. I really expected amazing maps, and I'm kind of disappointed that once again it seems like the community is going to have to provide that avenue of balance for the game.

Anyway, I've played both Terran and Protoss at the mid-high Platinum ranks (and if I can get past my annoyance over the map pool I'll be playing Zerg this time around). Overall, I'm not too worried about the racial balance or anything like that. It's more important that each race is unique in play style and unit diversity. The macro mechanics help make each race more diverse, however there is still a bit of stagnation among the unit ranks. This is hard to judge, though, as you have to take into consideration the fact that so many more people are playing for keeps now. So many people are working to be the best at this game even though it's still in beta and far from complete.

An interesting thing I noted when I took about a week off of SC2 due to lack of interest (and hope that patch 9 would include a working map veto system), is that playing Brood War during that time actually continued to help my game. So for those of you who plan on playing the hell out of SC2 when it comes out, practicing SC1 in the meantime will definitely help. Despite the difference in mechanics, the sheer amount of actions you can and need to perform in BW will make your SC2 game much more proactive.

So if there are actually any of you out there wanting to practice some BW, feel free to stop by #starcraft on irc.synirc.net (same as the smogon IRC). As noted in the BW thread, there's a group of 7-8 of us who play and discuss the game from time to time. Myself and the couple others who actually have SC2 beta keys will also be glad to chat or game SC2 as well.

I'm relatively new to SC so my reaction/ action times a little slow... but how can I fend off a group of Reapers? I can never seem to keep them off my drones..

I'm relatively new to SC so my reaction/ action times a little slow... but how can I fend off a group of Reapers? I can never seem to keep them off my drones..
Scout, see if the terran is building a tech lab and make lings and get their speed upgrade. That should be sufficient.

Scout, see if the terran is building a tech lab and make lings and get their speed upgrade. That should be sufficient.
Lings on creep outspeed reapers unless they have their speed upgrade. If you get ling speed it's no contest.

Right now the hardest thing to fend off is the proxy reaper bunker rush against Protoss.

Basically, they send their first SCV out, build a barracks right next to your base, drop a tech lab, send a reaper in, send that SCV in to build a bunker right next to your nexus, then sit the reaper in the bunker and destroy it. As soon as the reaper is done building, they build a marauder to take out any sort of early stalker you put out.

It's very simple to counter, but you have to execute a 10gate* zealot/stalker opening perfectly, block the bunker, and kill the SCV or you're boned. Good news is that if you do fend it off, you can walk into his completely unguarded base and destroy him.

*Edit: It occured to me this might be confusing to some people, it refers to the amount of probes you have when you build the Gateway, it doesn't mean you build 10 Gateways in your base.

Edit2: Megabytten.megs and I'm gold league (was platinum before) in 1v1 and Plat in 2v2. If you think that bunker reaper rush thing is hard to fend off in 1v1, wait till you see that + 6 zerglings in your base :(

Lings on creep outspeed reapers unless they have their speed upgrade. If you get ling speed it's no contest.

Right now the hardest thing to fend off is the proxy reaper bunker rush against Protoss.

Basically, they send their first SCV out, build a barracks right next to your base, drop a tech lab, send a reaper in, send that SCV in to build a bunker right next to your nexus, then sit the reaper in the bunker and destroy it. As soon as the reaper is done building, they build a marauder to take out any sort of early stalker you put out.

It's very simple to counter, but you have to execute a 10gate* zealot/stalker opening perfectly, block the bunker, and kill the SCV or you're boned. Good news is that if you do fend it off, you can walk into his completely unguarded base and destroy him.

*Edit: It occured to me this might be confusing to some people, it refers to the amount of probes you have when you build the Gateway, it doesn't mean you build 10 Gateways in your base.

Edit2: Megabytten.megs and I'm gold league (was platinum before) in 1v1 and Plat in 2v2. If you think that bunker reaper rush thing is hard to fend off in 1v1, wait till you see that + 6 zerglings in your base :(
Reaper harass does suck, and my way to deal with it is to play the old school Over Pool here you get a Spawning Pool right after your Overlord and then you continue Drone production until it's done and you immediately starts a Queen + 6 Zerglings and you should be fine. the Queen does wonders against the Repear. It's hard not to let them get a kill or two but not any more.

My account's Azurile.nhk and I'm around a mid-platinum Terran; add me if you want. If anyone wants to practice with me that would be great. I'd like to concentrate on one matchup, preferably TvP, but any is fine.

once, i ate at a vietnamese restaurant. i ordered the spring rolls and a friend of mine exclaimed, "that's a zerg egg!" i didn't know what a zerg or zerg egg was, so he explained to me what it was. this was about two years ago.

I'm sorry, I said "drones" earlier when I meant Probes. In any case, the situation doesn't look any easier for either.

I'm sorry, I said "drones" earlier when I meant Probes. In any case, the situation doesn't look any easier for either.
Reapers are a pretty big investment in that it slows down the Terran tech. Each reaper costs 50 gas and you're definitely not behind if you lose a handful of drones. Just keep chasing those reapers with zerglings and your queen should be in a position to protect your drones at all times. I would be more worried about reapers if you're P or T to be honest.

edit: Oh, I read your first post but then just decided to quote your second for whatever reason. Anyways, it's the same logic; if you survive while losing a couple probes, don't feel that you're behind. You must go to stalkers and immediately chrono boost it out. While you are doing that, chase the reaper with your zealot and about three probes, which makes it much harder for the T player to micro against. If they start a bunker, you must kill the building scv somehow (with a couple probes or whatever) and if it goes up it's usually gg for you. If you do manage to kill it then it's highly unlikely that they brought a spare scv and he'll be forced to cancel it. When you stall enough for stalkers, you're safe and the game should go on normally.

First scout, if you see the tech lab and gas up, then go to a CyCore build as Stalkers is a decent early-game counter as Reapers die to a slight breeze. You could also use Photon Cannons to protect your mineral line from them too,but it wont work if there are 5+ Reapers as they can 2-shot a cannon.

I feel bad, I have a deep love for the protoss, yet, I don't really care for any of their units except the Immortals/Collosi/Pheonix/Void Ray/Carrier. Almost all of their ground force I just don't like.

But I'm entranced by all the terran mechanical units. Seige Tanks + Vikings + Marauders and maybe some thors is so awesome, they even move at he same pace as one another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)