Starter/Dream World Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I was considering locking this thread, since most of the posts here seem to be virtually contentless pc+ posts. However, I will leave it open under the condition that you guys manage to shoehorn this into an actual discussion. What could you discuss? I'll throw a few topics out there:

• The actual effects of these Dream World abilities being removed
  • What one could possibly use as a replacement
  • The merits and detriments of using a replacement Pokemon

Do NOT say stuff like "oh, my team sucks now" or "too bad about Torchic ]]]:" or "lol just use a diff type of team ^_^" with nothing to back it up. Please keep this at a respectable level of intelligence and only post if you have something to say. It is Stickied, so there is no need to bump it up to keep it on the first page.

Thanks.

Er, fine.

Oddish is like Bulbasaur 0.6. Reaching only 26 speed in the sun, it gets outsped by 19 base speed scarfers, which really sucks for it. It's got 20 more Base SpA, yes, but it doesn't have Growth. That's great if you plan to run [Solarbeam/Energy Ball]/Sludge Bomb/HP Fire/Sleep Powder, but I had SP on Bellsprout, so yeah. Guess I'll just move SP to Oddish.

It's also quite a bit less bulky.

Eh, at least there's no angst over Power Whip, since Bulbasaur can't use that anymore.

I don't think anyone used Charmy and Torchic, Or I haven't seen any. I don't use them. Charmy was a mediocre pokemon anyway, slow without DD and outclassed with it. Poor Torchic and his Baton Passing abilities, but meh, pure fire-typing sucked for it, and it really couldn't sweep (no physical STAB and terrible special movepool).

I think that's all everyone will cry about?

I dunno, I'm pretty upset over Charmander. ;n; I'd planned to use a DD/Solar Power mixed set, which didn't seem at all outclassed to me compared to other stuff (IE, not 100% outclassed by Zuruggu due to being Special and pretty strong in that aspect).

...but so much for that. Eh, I never got to test whether it was even gonna be any good anyway...

/end whiny bitching

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Just one question. Even though we can't get speed boost torchic, we can still get a speed boost blaziken (possibly female, and not at level 100 hopefully) right?? I'm really only concerned about whether this will affect OU, as it's the only tier I've ever really played.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
You can't get egg moves onto these guys at L100 and they can only be male, as the OP pretty clearly says.

There's no need for that. I just forgot what was written in the OP.
If you forgot, then why didn't you go check?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I don't think this'll be too big a blow, as these guys didn't really centralize the whole metagame. They weren't the most common mons out there. But sun teams are screwed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basically, anything with Chlorophyll can take Bulbasaur's place. It may not be as good at it, but it's not a hard niche to fill.

Charmander is kind of irreplaceable, as the only other LC mon with Solar Power is Sunkern. And who would honestly use Sunkern?

Torchic is a sad loss, as now there are no LC Speed Boost mons.

On the replaceable side, there is Squirtle. Since there is no Drizzle in LC, Rain Dish would be near-useless anyway. I suppose there is always Lotad, but it's still not a good ability in LC.

Not to mention Mudkip. Mudkip's ability was so inferior to Torrent anyway, courtesy of the Explosion nerf. No one would use it anymore.

Treecko had a neat new trick with Unburden, but it really didn't do it much good, because it couldn't do much with the doubled speed. It was like, "Now what?" If you want Unburden that badly, use Drifloon.

Out of curiosity, why can't there be a way to allow male DW Pokemon with IVs that have already been obtained, much like the way events have been done in the past? Does it have to do with the programming, or the way the DW Pokemon are obtained?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Or it would be, if it got released.
There are Speed Boost Carvanha already, if that's what you meant.

Out of curiosity, why can't there be a way to allow male DW Pokemon with IVs that have already been obtained, much like the way events have been done in the past? Does it have to do with the programming, or the way the DW Pokemon are obtained?
They all come at lv10.

Question: Is the use of these abilites still legal on the Little Cup Dream World tier on the servers that have it, just not on the standard Little Cup, or are they invalid on both?

Or it would be, if it got released.

EDIT: ...

Well, in my defense, the main page for that stuff doesn't say so.
Agreed. The list of released mons hasn't been updated for nearly 2 months. And when you search the thread it tends to "miss" some things. You practically have to manually check each page to know what's legal and what's not.

I believe Speed Boost Torchic was the only hope for Baton Pass teams in LC.

Other than that, I only want the DW abilities for stuff like intimidate/EQ spiral Zuruguu.

If I where to run Sun in LC I would probably use Bellsprout over Bulbasaur anyways. It has got weather ball and sucker punch, two moves that Bulbasaur hasn't got, I wouldn't say that sun teams are completely screwed over, and the only GOOD abuser they lost was Bulbasaur. I could still see sun working in LC.

this may seem a bit extreme but still:

Sun is broken, permanent sun means you suddenly have 5 sweepers bearing down on you with help from the permanent weather. It is incredibly hard to counter sun because of the fact that there are 5 full on sweepers, not the usual 3 or at a stretch 4 you used to have in gen 4. A counter to sun team such as Munchlax can take on 3 Sun orientated pokes with alot of difficulty, but it can be done. But you only usually carry one counter or check. Fire and Grass stabs, the most common in these new Sun Teams are stopped by very little. Super fast Sleep Powders from Bellsprout and Oddish stop counters such as Munchlax in their tracks anyway meaning you only true counter down.

Teams with Sun are just ripping the place apart but it wasn't voted uber this time round and so I will have to join Sun rather than try and beat it... sorry guys

Zuruggu outbreaks Sun teams.

Evo-stone means they can't sweep without boosts, and only Eggy (and Tangela) have bulk.
...Although you can use Evo-stone as well.

Anyway, chlorophyll pokemon: Oddish, Bellsprout, Bulbasaur (sans power whip), Kurumiru, Seedot, Sunkern, Hoppip, Churine, and Cherubi. And the latter five suck.

So you only have to deal with four chlorophyll sweepers.

All you gotta do is use a set-up move on Vulpix, really. Zuruggu with two dances outbreaks Sun, especially with Shed Skin. 47.5% chance of waking up in at most two turns, and then it outspeeds everything and OHKOs. It even 4x resists Sucker Punch.

Speaking of priority, it's the bane of Sun. Meditite can switch on Growth and FO+BP a lot of shit to death. STAB Technician Fake Outs are greater than Sun. Grass/Poison only resists fighting and water priority, which means they take hefty chunks from steel, ice, dark, ghost (sorta, sneak is kinda weak), and normal priority.

That's offensive teams without Snover. (Snover and SR do well dismantling Sun teams)

Stall teams just use Hippo or Snover to change the weather. They're slower after all. With SR from the standard Hippo/Gligar lead and Sandstorm with the option of Spikes[/Tspikes if you feel like giving them those], Vulpy is not lasting long, and Grass/Poison/Fire doesn't hit many members of stall like Gligar, Missy, Munchy, etc. Players are free to sac something to sleep and do their shtick.

And then there's Inconsistent.

Sun isn't...THAT bad.

Likely it will be a lot more evil = if Evo-stone goes (and when Inconsistent does), but it's kinda...outbroken right now.

-Darkamber8828 after having a Sun team trashed by Inconsistent one too many times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)