Stat Split

Approved by Eevee General

Stat Split
Stat Split is a metagame in which your Pokemon has equal stats to each other. The catch is that it is decided by the average of each of your Pokemons base stats.

Example:
Using an example of Cheryl from Pokemon DPPt, we can see she has a team that is centered around high base HP Pokemons. She has a Wobbuffet, Drifblim, Hariyama, Wailord and Blissey. If we add up their base stats and divide them by the number of Pokemons involved in the combinations, we will have a Stat Split of 182/67/43/66/70/56, which will be the base stat of all these Pokemons.

Main Point:
The main point of this metagame is that, your team pick will be more important than ever. Do you want to have a team who is hyper offensive? A team that is stall based? A team that is tanky? Offensive Pokemon now being Defensive? Defensive Pokemon now being Offensive? It's all up to you and your team combinations. You have to carefully balance out the team in order to make the star Pokemon of your team stand out from the rest.

Rules:

-All Clauses are still active
-All Ubers are still banned
-Upon Mega Evolving, a Pokemon will gain stat changes normally and will NOT affect the average base stat.
-All Pokemon will still have the abilities and movesets like they used to.
-Eviolite will affect AFTER the avarage stats have been set.

-Formes that changes base stats will be applied BEFORE the Stat Split

If you have any questions, please list them below!

Last edited:

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Ayyy.....another interesting yet completely different meta.
I am guessing bulky offense will be popular with every team having Blissey and chansey (Fatso Bros. n_n)
Dragon dance users (garchomp and 36 others) will certainly get more chances for a set up sweep.Anyways, does abilities effect the overall stats (like fur coat and huge power)

Ayyy.....another interesting yet completely different meta.
I am guessing bulky offense will be popular with every team having Blissey and chansey (Fatso Bros. n_n)
Dragon dance users (garchomp and 36 others) will certainly get more chances for a set up sweep.Anyways, does abilities effect the overall stats (like fur coat and huge power)
Hopefully the metagame develops long enough to make potent teams run wild. :)

Also, Fur Coat and Huge Power will be applied AFTER the stat changes. If it overtrivalises the metagame, we might have to ban these abilities.

This is the highest Huge Power Attack I can find, considering Megas don't affect the total:

Average Attack: 143

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 333-393 (96.8 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

And for Fur Coat abuse:

Average Defense: 214
Average HP: ~69

252+ Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 134-158 (39.1 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Personal opinion: Huge/Pure Power will prove to be a problem. Even if don't min/max like me and choose a logical team that doesn't have Slaking and Regigigas on it, its pretty easy to at least get ~100 Attack even with a Pokemon like Azumarill or Diggersby dragging you down, which is about double what they usually have and roughly equivalent to a free Swords Dance boost. Fur Coat, meanwhile, should be perfectly fine. Furfrou, quite frankly, is a terrible Pokemon. Even with higher defense, its movepool is so abysmal, especially for a defensive Pokemon, that it won't prove to be too problematic on its own.

Cool meta, though. Haven't really seen one that does anything similar.

This is the highest Huge Power Attack I can find, considering Megas don't affect the total:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 333-393 (96.8 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

And for Fur Coat abuse:

252+ Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 134-158 (39.1 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Personal opinion: Huge/Pure Power will prove to be a problem. Even if don't min/max like me and choose a logical team that doesn't have Slaking and Regigigas on it, its pretty easy to at least get ~100 Attack even with a Pokemon like Azumarill or Diggersby dragging you down, which is about double what they usually have and roughly equivalent to a free Swords Dance boost. Fur Coat, meanwhile, should be perfectly fine. Furfrou, quite frankly, is a terrible Pokemon. Even with higher defense, its movepool is so abysmal, especially for a defensive Pokemon, that it won't prove to be too problematic on its own.

Oh dear... I think no one wants to eat a 143 Atk Huge Power Earthquake. I may look into consideration if it gets implemented on a server like ROM or Pandora...

Thanks for your opinion! I believe the creative minds will find ways to abuse certain Pokemons and make them even greater than they were before. Also no one should forget that other stats will fall down as well, so some Pokemon will be slower than they were before.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

And for Fur Coat abuse:

It might be worth your while to try maximizing HP in those calcs as well. How does putting Hippowdon over something like Shuckle effect it?

I'm interested in seeing how bulky teams fare versus offense in this meta. Will people max attack and speed, leaving special attack behind, and thus faring poorly against a bulky team that has good defense? Can a defensive team be bulky on both sides of the spectrum? Will Chansey be worth it with the defense drops? Are mixed attackers still viable? More viable?

Seems fun, I'll try to build for it soon.

It might be worth your while to try maximizing HP in those calcs as well. How does putting Hippowdon over something like Shuckle effect it?
I thought about that, but the problem is that since Fur Coat effectively makes Defense twice as efficient, the HP you need to gain needs to be more than double the amount of Defense lost to preserve a similar amount of damage reduction. I haven't run the calcs, but since Hippowdown give +88 HP and -112 Def over Shuckle, I'm fairly sure you'd take more damage from physical attacks overall.

There might be a better way to maximize it, though.

Of all playstyles, Stall will look the most different here -- Skarmory + Chansey isn't a special wall and a physical wall, it's two mons with a 157/42/72/37/87/60 statline before you add in the rest of the team. It can't really run a Pursuit trapper in the last slot either, because unless you're running something closer to bulky offense, said Pursuit trapper will not net the KOs you want it to. It probably won't be quite so viable, because offense will either be running lots of mixed attackers (which are unpredictable) or spamming one side of the spectrum (putting a lot of pressure on whatever you've designated as your special walls).

Balance (if you can still call it that) will probably have to run weather, because they can't properly differentiate between sweepers, walls, and pivots. Weather will allow them to run a decently powerful, decently bulky team that will still have a few mons to outspeed and sweep the opponent. That 'bulky rain offense' playstyle I've seen bandied about is probably fairly close to what balance will look like in this meta.

Ultimately, I think Clefable will be the star of this meta. Yes, its statline is bad and will bring down the rest of the team, but it's the best thing in OU with that bad statline -- wait until you've got a team bringing it up to mixed 100 defenses, while offense will have to build very narrowly if they want the 130 Atk/SpA behemoths that can actually break the damn fairy.

Landorus-Therian also stands out as something with very well-rounded stats that don't bring any playstyle down too much, an Attack stat that lets it slot cleanly into Atk-spam teams, and a surprisingly good SpA that can let it play on SpA-focused teams as well.

How do megas and other forme changes work? nvm, I read the OP. Forme changes are a standing question though IMO.

EDIT: I quickly whipped up a team of MG CM Clef, stallbreaker/TG Manaphy, SpD Heatran, Def Tangrowth, cleric Umbreon, and double-dance/SR Landorus-T. The stat spread is 95/95/101/100/93/74. I'm pretty sure you can EV that to live Keldeo's attacks. Realistically though it needs a defogger or something but this is half-assed.

A Special Offense team might look like Specs Keldeo, standard Mega Sceptile, mixed/Scarf Victini, stallbreaker Hydreigon, AV Tornadus-T, and some Magnezone set. Statline: 84/90/90/117/91/101. The Speed stat could go higher if there's something better than Magnezone, but then it has boltbeam problems. Probably needs a rocker but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Dr. Phd. BJ

aphasia
is a defending SCL Champion
OMPL Champion
Love the metagame idea, and I could probably type a lot on both of Jajoken's teams having 5/6 fighting weaknesses the topic, but I wont. Talonflame might become the best poke in the tier with the correct supporting cast around it. I rushed a balanced team together with Talon, and it had base 108 attack rushed. So imagine a team based around attack, and it using Talonflame? Sounds like a nightmare to unprepared offensive teams. I want to build a joke team with 5 mons with the same BST distribution as Mew (Manaphy, Jirachi, etc.) and Kyurem-black, just cuz I can lol. But all in all, seems like a versatile metagame that many players including myself will enjoy.

Of all playstyles, Stall will look the most different here -- Skarmory + Chansey isn't a special wall and a physical wall, it's two mons with a 157/42/72/37/87/60 statline before you add in the rest of the team. It can't really run a Pursuit trapper in the last slot either, because unless you're running something closer to bulky offense, said Pursuit trapper will not net the KOs you want it to. It probably won't be quite so viable, because offense will either be running lots of mixed attackers (which are unpredictable) or spamming one side of the spectrum (putting a lot of pressure on whatever you've designated as your special walls).

Balance (if you can still call it that) will probably have to run weather, because they can't properly differentiate between sweepers, walls, and pivots. Weather will allow them to run a decently powerful, decently bulky team that will still have a few mons to outspeed and sweep the opponent. That 'bulky rain offense' playstyle I've seen bandied about is probably fairly close to what balance will look like in this meta.

Ultimately, I think Clefable will be the star of this meta. Yes, its statline is bad and will bring down the rest of the team, but it's the best thing in OU with that bad statline -- wait until you've got a team bringing it up to mixed 100 defenses, while offense will have to build very narrowly if they want the 130 Atk/SpA behemoths that can actually break the damn fairy.

Landorus-Therian also stands out as something with very well-rounded stats that don't bring any playstyle down too much, an Attack stat that lets it slot cleanly into Atk-spam teams, and a surprisingly good SpA that can let it play on SpA-focused teams as well.

How do megas and other forme changes work? nvm, I read the OP. Forme changes are a standing question though IMO.

EDIT: I quickly whipped up a team of MG CM Clef, stallbreaker/TG Manaphy, SpD Heatran, Def Tangrowth, cleric Umbreon, and double-dance/SR Landorus-T. The stat spread is 95/95/101/100/93/74. I'm pretty sure you can EV that to live Keldeo's attacks. Realistically though it needs a defogger or something but this is half-assed.

A Special Offense team might look like Specs Keldeo, standard Mega Sceptile, mixed/Scarf Victini, stallbreaker Hydreigon, AV Tornadus-T, and some Magnezone set. Statline: 84/90/90/117/91/101. The Speed stat could go higher if there's something better than Magnezone, but then it has boltbeam problems. Probably needs a rocker but you get the idea.

Stall is going to be messed up indeed, since you can only cover one side and if you want to mix stall, that is also going to be very hard. I had a 5th Gen Stall team that consisted of Politoed, Bronzong, Gliscor, Tentacruel, Ferrothorn and Thundurus-T and the stats are... 78/88/97/82/102/70. Good luck trying to stall with these stats.

Mixed offense is the safest way to go, but having alot of power on one side doesn't hurt either :p

Pokemon who has stats of under 100 could benefit from this meta alot. Azumarill, Serperior, Quagsire, Talonflame, Galvantula, Porygon2, Nidoking are some examples that can be improved immensely with stat modifications.

Also Forme Changes are applied BEFORE Stat Split happens, since they start out with their forme base stats. Thanks for reminding me about it!

Love the metagame idea, and I could probably type a lot on both of Jajoken's teams having 5/6 fighting weaknesses the topic, but I wont. Talonflame might become the best poke in the tier with the correct supporting cast around it. I rushed a balanced team together with Talon, and it had base 108 attack rushed. So imagine a team based around attack, and it using Talonflame? Sounds like a nightmare to unprepared offensive teams. I want to build a joke team with 5 mons with the same BST distribution as Mew (Manaphy, Jirachi, etc.) and Kyurem-black, just cuz I can lol. But all in all, seems like a versatile metagame that many players including myself will enjoy.

On the contrary, I would love to hear you if you have any ideas for a viable team combination! There are many combinations to be utilized here and a perfectly optimal team can take a long time to create.

Dr. Phd. BJ

aphasia
is a defending SCL Champion
OMPL Champion
Stall is going to be messed up indeed, since you can only cover one side and if you want to mix stall, that is also going to be very hard. I had a 5th Gen Stall team that consisted of Politoed, Bronzong, Gliscor, Tentacruel, Ferrothorn and Thundurus-T and the stats are... 78/88/97/82/102/70. Good luck trying to stall with these stats.

Mixed offense is the safest way to go, but having alot of power on one side doesn't hurt either :p

Pokemon who has stats of under 100 could benefit from this meta alot. Azumarill, Serperior, Quagsire, Talonflame, Galvantula, Porygon2, Nidoking are some examples that can be improved immensely with stat modifications.

Also Forme Changes are applied BEFORE Stat Split happens, since they start out with their forme base stats. Thanks for reminding me about it!

On the contrary, I would love to hear you if you have any ideas for a viable team combination! There are many combinations to be utilized here and a perfectly optimal team can take a long time to create.
The team was Latios / Talon / Manaphy / Jirachi / Tyranitar / Lando-T. The base stat total is 91 / 108 / 92 / 101 / 93 / 98 which is really balanced. U could replace Rachi with something like Excadrill to increase HP and Attack, but obviously it lowers everything else which is why I have Rachi > Drill. The idea I had with kyurem-black might actually be good (kyurem-black and 5 mons of 100 / 100 etc) . The BST looks like 104 / 112 / 100 / 103 / 98 / 99 which is actually incredibly good. As for the versatility in the tier, look at the teams in the thread right now. U have mons u seldom see in the first 4 teams. Also, I am thinking about how weird viability rankings would look... lel

So I quickly made a team and while I'm sure it can be improved I believe that Eviolite Pokemon are going to be some of the better Stall/Wall Pokemon as they can buff the lowered defenses and gain higher HP, although few give many benefits to a team generally speaking.

General Stat Spread |103|68|63|68|84|83|

M-Latios Stat Spread |103|108|83|98|94|83|

M-Aero Stat Spread |103|98|83|78|104|103|

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Rock Tomb

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Hyper Voice

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Talonflame @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost
- Aerial Ace

Latios (M) @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw/Steel Wing/Waterfall/Zen Headbutt

I can also see Marowak, Pikachu and Clamperl being very good in this meta as you can boost their weaker stats and get more out of their items, although the stat loss they bring is quite a hit so you'll need mega's or high stat-mons to balance it out.

I'm not sure which Mega is better on the team, and originally I was thinking CM Latios with Stored Power but I looked at the spread again and decided on a DD Set, I'm thinking Support Aero with Lefties is the set I'm going to go with but I'm happy for input (and corrections for my terrible choices :L).

This Meta looks awesome and I look forward to being able to play it.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
So is Mega Beedrill just nuts here, or what? Gains 60 Atk, 70 Spe and Adaptability with amazing STABs (/s).

I made a quick team of Bees/Kyub/Lando-T/Exca/Victini/Haxorus which works out at 94/131/80/80/80/91 stats (so everything is essentially a slightly weaker Lando-T statwise), with Bees evolving into a monster with 191 Attack, 161 Speed, Swords Dance and Adaptability. As for Victini:

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 351-414 (86.8 - 102.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Diancie and Latios also look like cool Megas (Mega Latios gains 40 Atk and has Dragon Dance), as well as maybe Megagross (moreso because of its 600 BST than anything else, admittedly). Subbing Latios onto that team puts the team at 96/131/86/94/85/96, for example, leading to 171/96 offenses on a DD sweeper. Unaware Clef walls it but "lol"

prob gonna make another team of just 600 BST mons for kicks. Dragspam here I come! (seriously though Kyub/Lati/Mence/Chomp/Zygarde/Dnite/Dreigon are all really good)

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
Really cool meta, I like it. Manaphy definitely seems strong, bringing in 100s in all stats and with access to tail glow, you could definitely boost up it's special attack to dangerous level by partnering him with the right team.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is the only type of team I see really working. The idea for this metagame is really interesting but I don't see how strong physical teams won't be the predominant archetype. The clincher to focus on is the Mega slot, because most Megas would be ridiculous with even moderate changes to their base stats.

Stats are 89 / 118 / 77 / 76 / 77 / 101
Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Talonflame @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Excadrill @ Passho Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic

After evolving, Medicham's stats are 89 / 158 / 87 / 96 / 87 / 121. Huge Power has a decent chance of being completely busted, and Mega Medicham, in my eyes, is by far the best Mega in the tier due to how many viable teammates with ridiculous Attack there are. This has over 900 Attack and nearly breaks stall and balance by itself. Depending on how fast the typical opposing team is, Jolly could be used at the cost of about 90 Attack.

Weavile is a clear choice because of the appeal of Diggersby as the central mon, and Lando-T and Garchomp as fantastic teammates. Very high Attack and Speed support Medicham, while Low Kick is for KyuB, which is pretty much the best teammate for anything.

Speaking of which, there's little reason not to use KyuB on a lot of teams, especially as it provides more Speed, bulk, and way more Attack to Medicham. A mixed wallbreaker set was chosen because of the abundance of priority on this team, and even though KyuB's new Special Attack is much lower, it's still enough to get things done versus offensive teams. Physical Life Orb really helps with Azumarill, which is a very appealing option for teams in general.

Not much reason not to use Lando-T either. Fantastic Attack and decent Speed and bulk help Medicham even more, and the standard defensive set really helps vs Talonflame, even though this Lando-T is less bulky. Rocks are necessary on such an offensive, priority based team and Lando is pretty much the best.

Talonflame provides a nice amount of Speed, which is really helpful as a lot of offensive teams tend to have Speed stats in the 90s. The strong priority is really helpful, because with this, Weavile, and Medicham's double priority, a lot of teams can be overwhelmed by this three-mon priority core. The SD set over Banded was chosen because vs offensive teams, Medicham, Weavile, and Talon have enough power already, and boosting is helpful vs bulkier teams.

Finally we need hazard control, and although Excadrill compounds the Water weakness, it's too good to pass up as it provides even more Attack and Speed plus being a solid spinner. Passho is used as an emergency answer to Azumarill, because they're 100% clicking Aqua Jet, and then Exca's EQ puts them in range for Talon or Medi. More raw power isn't really needed. Instead Toxic is more useful overall to break down really bulky walls, as for example, a Mega Slowbro with an even higher than normal Defense beats this team otherwise.

Depending on how the metagame goes, Mega Pokemon might get a tweak, or the stats have to be applied BEFORE the stat split, in order to make a Mega Pokemon more balanced. We have to see how it evolves.

Also, some pokemon with unique niches may be more useful than ever. Case in point, Serperior and Malamar. These are both Pokemon who have the ability Contrary, which makes them gain stat boosts when they use Leaf Storm/Superpower. The problem with them are they have actual low stats to use these blessings. (I know Serperior is OU, but still) What if we ramped that to a higher level though.

Special Offensive Balanced Serperior Team:

Average Stats:

78/81/79/124/95/102

Normally a threat without the huge stat boost, Serperior can now KO any single pokemon who Serperior can outspeed. If we give it a Choice Scarf, it should be easy to outspeed most threats with an odd 102 speed, the same odd Speed Garchomp had. The rest of the team is for coverage and giving Serperior the stat boosts it needs.

Attack Offensive Balanced Malamar Team:

Average Stats:
103/132/82/76/73/98

Just enough Attack to hurt anyone who gets in Malamar's way and enough HP to survive 1 or 2 hits. The speed will help him to outspeed some pokemon and then set up on them. With Superpower buffs, Malamar will be the definition of a tank.

Attachments

I wonder if some defensive Uber mons will have to be unbanned to make the Metagame more balanced or if that would just cement balanced offense into a primary role.

I feel like trick room could be really viable if built around.

So from what I understand, the stat changes of the megas here will work like Mix and Mega?

Also, considering you can get the same amount of attack, I think Beat Up would be an interesting move in this meta, even if it's gimmicky.

I wonder if some defensive Uber mons will have to be unbanned to make the Metagame more balanced or if that would just cement balanced offense into a primary role.

I feel like trick room could be really viable if built around.
The problems with Ubers is that the pokemon there have all high base stats, and it would result in every single pokemon in the team getting way too powerful.

Trick Room could be a good strategy if a team is built right :)

So from what I understand, the stat changes of the megas here will work like Mix and Mega?

Also, considering you can get the same amount of attack, I think Beat Up would be an interesting move in this meta, even if it's gimmicky.

Yes, a Pokemon will get the same stat modifications, however, that might change depending on how broken will a Pokemon that has the said Megastone will be.

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Don't the pink blobs kinda suck here, since they bring down every stat except HP and SpD a TON? Also, Slaking seems great here, use the Choice Scarf Retaliate revenge killer set and have its main focus be to buff up other mons with its high base stats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)