Status of Shoddy Battle 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
just curious,since the server is written with cpp, why don't write client with cpp either?

I'll try to use qt to write a client this summer,anyway.and if possible,server will also have a nice interface with qt.

Well, C++ isn't nearly as plattform independent as Java is. In contrast, java is unfortunally very slow.

You know, I would expect this to get more attention since it is the next big thing Smogon has to offer right now. I mean, who wouldn't want a better clent to have their battle's played on? I wish I could help more, but I only know the basics of java and C++, so I am not really all that useful as well. I hope you guys can get this done soon.

iRJi

=]

but qt is,and it can be LGPL.
Qt or GTK is the way to go, in my opinion. I know Qt4, but all my programming so far has scientific computing-oriented.

Is the code for SB2 publicly available? If the project leaders would be willing to post the code along with a wish list of programming goals, people like me would potentially be able to contribute, at least a little bit. Chipping away at the boulder, and what-not.

If you chose to go with C++ for the client, please go with GTK+. On my Linux Netbook, I am running a lightweight Window Manager (PekWM), and Qt dependencies are avoided because they generally take up too much disk space (which is important, considering I only have an 8GB SSD on my netbook) compared to GTK+, as they like to add in extra garbage KDE stuff a lot. Not to mention, that my widget theme is GTK+, and I don't want to install an extra program to make Qt use it, and I don't even have Qt installed. At all.

I would prefer a GTK+ based C++ app though, or maybe even PyGTK, as it would let me get rid of the horrible looking non-native Java theme in Linux, even though I did make some Java apps of my own in the past use GTK themes properly (very small apps though, such as a dice roller - nowhere near the scale of Shoddy).

I'm probably going taking C++ as one of my classes next semester, either this summer or fall, and I will be learning how to implement it with GTK apps, either in the class or by myself. If the project is still going by the time I have a decent grasp of the language, I'd be more than willing to help, but that may obviously not work out.

Also, it may be a good idea to utilize GitHub or Google Code for public code submissions.

Qt dependencies are avoided because they generally take up too much disk space
You can't spare 16MB? Because that's all I'm seeing that libqt4-core and libqt4-gui take up. My experience is that Qt4 is a bit nicer, both to program and in terms of appearance. Qt4 added some really shiny new widgets.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The source code is available at http://shoddybattle.com/hg

There is already a lot of work done on a client in Java. The game is definitely playable already, and the list of things that isn't done hasn't changed since the OP.

Oh. I feel stupid now. As I said, my work has been scientifically focused in the past, so I doubt I'll be able to help much with the networking, but something like item programming, which I imagine is fairly straightforward and fairly tedious, I could probably help with.

Gonna explore the source code later in the day. Thanks, bearzly.

Shoddy 2 hates visual studio/windows:(. VS doesn't like the implicit converting between int and int32_t, and gets confused as shit about the ">>" and "<<" operators for the message classes. God damn visual C++. I'd really like to get it working under visual studio, but it looks like I'll need to use netbeans.

Does anyone know if DJD is still in charge of this? Or is anyone in charge of this now?

Colin and Bearzly, if you're reading this, have you tried doing anything with the server under windows? Just wondering if you had any advice.

I went ahead and used Linux because ti was too difficult under windows. I have a question to anyone who's gotten shoddy 2 working though - on the start up screen, its telling me only 4 of 123 abilities are implemented. I can have battles, but all the secondary effects of moves dont seem to working. I assume this is an issue with the javascript files. Did anyone else run into this problem or have some idea whats causing it?

You can see an example of what I mean in the terminal in this screenshot
http://garyoak.com/Shoddy2SS/Untitled-4.jpg

Does anyone know if DJD is still in charge of this? Or is anyone in charge of this now?

Colin and Bearzly, if you're reading this, have you tried doing anything with the server under windows? Just wondering if you had any advice.
I am pretty sure DougJustDoug is still in charge of this and will be the one making the major adjustments.

I went ahead and used Linux because ti was too difficult under windows. I have a question to anyone who's gotten shoddy 2 working though - on the start up screen, its telling me only 4 of 123 abilities are implemented. I can have battles, but all the secondary effects of moves dont seem to working. I assume this is an issue with the javascript files. Did anyone else run into this problem or have some idea whats causing it?

You can see an example of what I mean in the terminal in this screenshot
http://garyoak.com/Shoddy2SS/Untitled-4.jpg
nevermind, I just forgot to include the language file. working now.

If anyone else is working on Shoddy 2, I found a strange error. This is what happens when i attack standard shedinja. I added the wonderguard ability, and tried it with and without it to the same effect. Charizard used Flamethrower! It's super effective! Shedinja regained 58533% of its health! Shedinja fainted! On the opponents side, it looks like this though Charizard used Flamethrower! It's super effective! Shedinja lost 780/1 (78000%) of its health! Shedinja fainted! Any ideas?

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Doug told me over IRC that currently its impossible to build the server on Windows, so, that's probably why.

And there's a lot of bugs, something else is that Choice Items don't limit you to one move. There's so many bugs that I don't think there's any benefit in saying what they are, at least for the server's side. Just touch something and its probably broken.

Doug told me over IRC that currently its impossible to build the server on Windows, so, that's probably why.

And there's a lot of bugs, something else is that Choice Items don't limit you to one move. There's so many bugs that I don't think there's any benefit in saying what they are, at least for the server's side. Just touch something and its probably broken.
well Ive actually been having pretty good luck so far with the stuff thats there. was able to add immunity and wonderguard without to much trouble. Though everyone once in awhile i think im getting a segfault after battles. Pretty rare though.

I'm trying to get ahold of DJD so i can volunteer to help

VirtualBox is actually really nice. Its highyl streamlined and easy to use. Seems to support pretty much any operating system as well (except OSX I'd assume). Its stable and pretty lightweight as well. I tried using VMware and VirtualPC earlier, but i definitely prefer virtualbox.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
I'm out of town working for the summer and I don't have much to do so I'm going to start working on this again. The important thing is to finish up is the server but if anyone is experienced with java/swing then there are definitely some easy UI touchups to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)