Staying away from popularity: Pokemon that you like that others don't and hate that everyone likes

Which one, out of the six Pokemon chosen, is your favorite?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

This thing is so damn popular and I have literally no idea why past just "Nostalgia".
I have pretty much the same reasoning for hating Meganium too but Typhlosion actually has fans so I'm going to get right onto it.
Typhlosion is just so damn BORING.
Typhlosion is literally Charizard without wings and a worse movepool. I realize they're going for something that eases the gen 1 players in, but it has nothing good about it to differentiate itself other than Eruption. It's design is bland as hell, you'll struggle to find a good move in it's pool that isn't fire or normal... it's at least a good special attacker throughout the game, but at the end of the day, why would you want to use this over something like Charizard or Arcanine or Houndoom? I can at least see why Charizard is popular besides just nostalgia - it's a Dragon, it has a defined change and design, it's very usable and reliable in-game, and it even has a somewhat interesting movepool including Flying and Dragon moves. Fine. Typhlosion... is sort of decent in-game, it goes through practically no change since it's base form other than "bigger and opens eyes", it's design is so boring and bland rather than badass, and it even has THE EXACT SAME BASE STAT VALUES as Charizard - in the end it just looks so inferior to Charizard I just can't find myself liking it at all.
I adore Feraligatr so much. It's easily the saving grace of the Johto starters to me, because there's nothing else to look for in that area. it goes through changes, it has a defined design, it has a great and unique movepool, an interesting stat spread and a very different role from most water-types - and it's very difficult to stand out in such a populated crowd as that. But Typhlosion fails to stand out or do anything different in any way, and that is why I cannot find myself liking it at all.

If you're anything like me, reason = what the actual fuck is he doing using a tongue as a scarf.
lol, that's probably the biggest part of the reason, yes. i'm not a fan of the pointy ear things or the shape of its head overall honestly. reminds me of that click-and-drag polygon shape game on the computers we had at my elementary school wayyyy back in like '99. (something like KidPix? i don't remember anymore.)

I was hatching some egg on route 117 when I came across a wild Surskit. It used bubble and I was surprised! An insect that knows water type move.. However it didn't occurred to me at that time its the early stage of what have become my favourite Pokemon!

Ever since I laid my eyes on Masquerain it became my absolute favourite. I remember I first saw Masquerain when I battled the Bug Maniac in Route 120. It's design struck me as very original! I couldn't really tell if the eyeball antennae pattern is its eyes or the black dots in its raindrop face shape. Its bizzare two paired rhombus shaped wings and the general appearance of a levitating open mouth face of a creature sold me! Since then, I've always had a Surskit in my team. I would find a way to have Surskit in all of the later game/generation after its introduction in R/S. I remember back in my Sapphire I tried hatching Surskit inside the Scorched Slab Cave. I have this mindset that I should hatched my Surskit in a special place. Anyways the cool design factor is already there, even the amazing/unique movepool for a bug is awesome. However what I didn't realized before was once Surskit evolves, its unique Bug/Water typing would change to the ever so atrocious generic Bug/Flying type. I was so disappointed that it become somewhat the stereotypical early bug. I'm still very disappointed with GF's decision to change Masquerain's typing! Additionally, its one of the Pokemon that becomes slower when it evolves. The only saving grace of Masquerain besides its coolness factor is its Intimidate ability and the immunity to Ground type moves. It's still the only Bug/Flying Pokemon that has an access to Water and Ice moves thanks to Surskit. Hopefully GF would give Masquerain a Mega Evolution in ORAS that allows it to revert back to its pre-evolution type that is Bug/Water.

In terms of popular Pokemon that I don't like, one stands above the rest: Mega Pinsir. Seriously, although I know that OI isn't the forum to talk about competitive battling, this thing is absolutely EVERYWHERE in OU. It seems like every other team has it. And this wouldn't be a big deal except that I think it is really ugly. The mouth (which I realize is a characteristic of stag beetles; doesn't change the fact that I hate it) is so much more painful to look at than normal pinsir, and its eyes make it look like it's possessed. The wings look okay on the surface, but the way it flies in battle looks... really weird. Beyond the design which I feel I have ranted enough about, it's really annoying to fight in OU. You can't revenge kill it because Quick Attack or Feint, and if the thing sets up Swords Dance, gg. The only things keeping it out of Ubers IMO are Stealth Rock and Talonflame.

There's quite a funny story about Pinsir that happened back when I was around 8. I was playing Sapphire, and my friend and I were derping around in the Safari Zone. He was quite experienced with the TCG, and he was telling me about how awesome Pinsir was and how I should catch one (Neither he nor I knew about Heracross at the time). Since Pinsir has such a low encounter and catch rate, when I was finally able to catch one the next day, I was really, really excited. (Side-effect of the experience: To this day, my friend absolutely hates Oddish.) And then... I found that Pinsir is a) a bug (I seriously couldn't believe that the mighty pincer thing was a lowly Bug-type) and b) practically useless due to its complete lack of a STAB move. To be fair, back in Gen 3 there were very few good Bug-type moves (Silver Wind, Megahorn, end list), but it did not change the fact that Pinsir Pinchy the Pinsir (Don't judge me) went straight into the box.

Fast-forward to XY, and that then-useless mon is bloody everywhere. Even though I know how good it now is, its awful design (The only Bug-type whose design I don't like!) and major-letdown backstory make it one of my least favourite mons of all time. At least there's Scizor, Heracross, Joltik, Vivillon, Shuckle, etc. to redeem the bugs.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This isn't really about species, but shinies are really overrated in my opinion. There aren't very many that actually look cool compared to the original design, in fact many of them use some puke color that makes them look uglier (*cough*most Eeveelutions *cough*). Combine that with the fact that most people act like the crazed seagulls from Finding Nemo whenever they're brought up and being one of the main reasons people buy Powersaves (and between a lowered shiny ratio, TSV hatching, and Powersaves, they aren't as rare as they used to be). I keep a few for collection purposes or if I'm really bored and need a breeding "challenge" but overall, people going

SHINIES? SHINIES? SHINIES? SHINIES?

really kills it for me.

This isn't really about species, but shinies are really overrated in my opinion. There aren't very many that actually look cool compared to the original design, in fact many of them use some puke color that makes them look uglier (*cough*most Eeveelutions *cough*). Combine that with the fact that most people act like the crazed seagulls from Finding Nemo whenever they're brought up and being one of the main reasons people buy Powersaves (and between a lowered shiny ratio, TSV hatching, and Powersaves, they aren't as rare as they used to be). I keep a few for collection purposes or if I'm really bored and need a breeding "challenge" but overall, people going

SHINIES? SHINIES? SHINIES? SHINIES?

really kills it for me.
To add to this, I'm getting pretty sick of seeing people put up trade threads and putting the only thing in their wants as "Competitive Shinies". So sick.

Two of my favorite pokemon are, if you couldn't tell, are linoone and furret. Their designs are really appealing to me and I've had really good experiences with both of them. I had no idea what to use on my heart gold run once, and I decided on furret, and it just grew on my from there. And my love for linoone started after she, the mighty Eggplant, carried my team in my X wedlocke. Alongside my huge power Azumarill and Lucario unstoppable duo. Eggplant was the only one to go through the pain of loss when medicham brutally shadow balled cabbage, my Delphox, but he carried on alongside her modest Ampharos. Cabbage was my only death that entire Locke. :(

And besides the fact FIRST POST!!!¡!!!¡!!!!!!!!!!!

To add to this, I'm getting pretty sick of seeing people put up trade threads and putting the only thing in their wants as "Competitive Shinies". So sick.
Just saying that it's up to the person making the thread to decide on what they want. For example, I can pretty much breed anything non-shiny for myself- with minimum effort. And I only want 5 iv pokemon, because I actually battle with all of them...

And as for unpopular things- you have to love Seel. Seals are awesome in real life, they do amazing tricks and Gen 1 nostalgia is always good. Funny how Walrein gets all the love because of the tusks...

Just saying that it's up to the person making the thread to decide on what they want. For example, I can pretty much breed anything non-shiny for myself- with minimum effort. And I only want 5 iv pokemon, because I actually battle with all of them...
Have to disagree when it gets to the point where what they're asking for is just plain ridiculous and greedy.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I enjoy collecting shinies, but only shinies that I know the origin of (or; not random likely pokegenned 'mons offered on GTS).

I enjoy experiencing that moment when you're hatching eggs, or when you're getting a random wild encounter and you realize that OMG, it's different (lol I've been getting a lot more of the second than the first, which is funny because I'm actively contributing to the shiny charm + MM thread--over 1,000 eggs, 1 bred shiny, *4* caught shinies).

If you choose to explore the legit options (MM breeding, chain fishing/pokeradar, TSV matching), it's still a bit of effort to collect shiny pokemon. Even TSV matching takes a certain amount of effort, since you need to find an active hatcher that'll hatch the egg for you without running off with it, and for every egg hatched, there's still boxes of eggs left collecting dust.

The one thing that I don't like? Having my enjoyment of collecting shiny pokemon likening me to a seagull. (Wingull, lol, I would have no problem with). We can each enjoy pokemon in our own way, either as a casual player, as a collector, or as a competitor.

Have to disagree when it gets to the point where what they're asking for is just plain ridiculous and greedy.
How is asking for shinies greedy? There's nothing wrong with asking for competitive shinies, lots of people breed their shinies competitive because the rarity is appealing. Some people are willing to trade them. Not sure why what other people do with their Pokemon bothers you.

And in order to not derail this thread, I'll say I've always liked Meganium's design. I'm a big fan of Johto because I still remember the hype when I was a little kid with new Pokemon coming out in the anime and Chikorita, Bayleef, and Meganium instantly captured my heart. I don't think they're too awful competitively either. Aromatherapy is one of my favourite moves.

Two of my favorite pokemon are, if you couldn't tell, are linoone and furret. Their designs are really appealing to me and I've had really good experiences with both of them. I had no idea what to use on my heart gold run once, and I decided on furret, and it just grew on my from there. And my love for linoone started after she, the mighty Eggplant, carried my team in my X wedlocke. Alongside my huge power Azumarill and Lucario unstoppable duo. Eggplant was the only one to go through the pain of loss when medicham brutally shadow balled cabbage, my Delphox, but he carried on alongside her modest Ampharos. Cabbage was my only death that entire Locke. :(

And besides the fact FIRST POST!!!¡!!!¡!!!!!!!!!!!
I like Furret a lot too. I made a really silly competitive one that plays the role of a scout with Trick combined with a Choice Band, and U-Turn. However, I gave it Shadow Claw for some dumb reason and it's ended up being able to 2HKO some very powerful psychic types that you really think it wouldn't have a chance against.
One of my favorites I've posted in the "Silly Things You've Seen in OU" Thread. Believe it or not, my Furret was able to 2HKO a Latios once!

That is why I love furret. I don't know why, but I've always had a special spot reserved for him in my heart. More than for linoone too

A pokémon that happens to be unpopular is dedenne. I believe this is because dedenne is a combination of a pikachu clone and crappy stats. Dedenne is actually my favourite pokémon for design(not competitive). It is fun to watch people under estimate dedenne and then I actually pull of a few kos with him.

Heatran is always described as ugly & when I first saw it I thought it was too. I actually think it looks really cool now, it looks really menacing & it's typing is killer. Plus, it has a lot of utility competitively.

Keldeo, on the other hand just looks goofy. I saw a clip of it fighting Kyurem from the anime & it was shooting water out of its hooves. It's so dorky for a pokemon, especially a legendary.

I'm in love with Dustox ever since I accidentally got one playing Emerald in the early days. It's terrible competetively and everyone says it's not the prettiest, but I just see some wonderful beauty in it. Basically, I'm like Jessie with her Dustox from Pokemon Advanced.

A Pokémon that doesn't seem to get much love (though it isn't hated) is Primeape. I always use one when I do normal runs of LeafGreen and it is actually quite powerful. I remember I was once doing a random battle with my ex-girlfriend on Showdown and she got at least three powerful legendaries. All of them were knocked out by my Primeape's Close Combat.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The one thing that I don't like? Having my enjoyment of collecting shiny pokemon likening me to a seagull. (Wingull, lol, I would have no problem with). We can each enjoy pokemon in our own way, either as a casual player, as a collector, or as a competitor.
I'm not going to apologize if you perceive a challenge to your preferences in a thread that is specifically called "Pokemon that you like that others don't and vice versa". I'm not forcing you to stop. You can play the game your own way. But I'm not going to sugarcoat things or hold back on my opinion because of some sort of perceived slight.

It's annoying because most shinies are downright ugly and that's all people want to trade. I never want to trade shinies because of the amount of people who plunk down $30 on a Powersaves; anything pre-gen 6 I can get in about 5 minutes with RNG abuse. People are so crazed by coloration that they're willing to pay money for it and scam others. Some people are downright crazed by them, hence the comparison to the seagulls. Getting legit gen 6 shinies requires some effort, I agree - but not that much.

The bottom line is, giving an opinion of a phenomena I don't like is not the same as telling people what to do nor should challenging your preferences be perceived as an insult. In fact, I'm glad that I was able to introduce some actually controversial discussion in this thread.

Last edited:
Ok so one Pokemon I like that others don't seem to give much attention is guess who? Tip it is Durant.

So Durant is a really cool Pokemon in my opinion. First up it's design which looks pretty darn awesome. I mean you take something a tad generic like ants but give it a coat of iron and bam cool Pokemon right there. It's design isn't the most complex one but it doesn't need to be complex in order to be appealing. Durant also has a sort of rivalry with Heatmor similar to Zangoose and Seviper. Durant is based of ants while Heatmor look similar to an anteater. Durant is Bug / Steel while Heatmor is Fire making his STAB moves 4x super effective. They are also both found on the same locations and they mention each other in the Pokedex entry.

Battle wise he is also pretty solid. He may not be very useful in OU due to Scizor kind of outclassing it but in RU ( Which is the best tier ever btw ) it is really good. With Hustle and Hone Claws Durant hits like a truck and proves to be very hard to wall. With being a Steel type and having 112 defense it isn't overly difficult to set a Hone Claws up either. Durant can also use choice items rather well which is also cool.

In game Durant is no slouch either. While Durant does suffer from coming way too late in the game it does make up for that. It is one of the few Pokemon with the coveted Steel typing in game which is really useful thanks to all the resistances it gives. It generally fares well against most of the late game gyms and elite 4 members. It learns some useful TM moves like X Scissor, Dig, Hone Claws and Rock Slide and it learns other useful moves like Iron Head through level up.

All in all Durant is just cool and nobody can deny that :)

In game Durant is no slouch either. While Durant does suffer from coming way too late in the game it does make up for that. It is one of the few Pokemon with the coveted Steel typing in game which is really useful thanks to all the resistances it gives. It generally fares well against most of the late game gyms and elite 4 members. It learns some useful TM moves like X Scissor, Dig, Hone Claws and Rock Slide and it learns other useful moves like Iron Head through level up.

All in all Durant is just cool and nobody can deny that :)
Um...what late game gyms? The only gym I can think of that Durant is encountered in time to use against is the Snowbelle gym in X/Y. And then it faces competition with Scizor against the X/Y Elite Four and Champion.

That said, the fact the little armored bug can practically destroy three of the Unova Elite Four by itself (it doesn't have much of anything for Marshal, but he doesn't pack a Fire move on any of his Pokemon to take it out easily either) is quite impressive. Too bad Heatmor isn't even remotely as good.

Um...what late game gyms? The only gym I can think of that Durant is encountered in time to use against is the Snowbelle gym in X/Y. And then it faces competition with Scizor against the X/Y Elite Four and Champion.

That said, the fact the little armored bug can practically destroy three of the Unova Elite Four by itself (it doesn't have much of anything for Marshal, but he doesn't pack a Fire move on any of his Pokemon to take it out easily either) is quite impressive. Too bad Heatmor isn't even remotely as good.
Well you still have to trade to get a Scizor which not everyone can do so Durant can make a good substitute if you can't get a Scizor. Durant also comes slightly earlier which also helps.

Well you still have to trade to get a Scizor which not everyone can do so Durant can make a good substitute if you can't get a Scizor. Durant also comes slightly earlier which also helps.
Plus you need an item to get Scizor, which is a pain to get in XY (until you learn that a Pokémon with Compound Eyes bumps the chances that a wild Magneton is holding a Metal Coat from 5% to 20%).

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I'm not going to apologize if you perceive a challenge to your preferences in a thread that is specifically called "Pokemon that you like that others don't and vice versa". I'm not forcing you to stop. You can play the game your own way. But I'm not going to sugarcoat things or hold back on my opinion because of some sort of perceived slight.

It's annoying because most shinies are downright ugly and that's all people want to trade. I never want to trade shinies because of the amount of people who plunk down $30 on a Powersaves; anything pre-gen 6 I can get in about 5 minutes with RNG abuse. People are so crazed by coloration that they're willing to pay money for it and scam others. Some people are downright crazed by them, hence the comparison to the seagulls. Getting legit gen 6 shinies requires some effort, I agree - but not that much.

The bottom line is, giving an opinion of a phenomena I don't like is not the same as telling people what to do nor should challenging your preferences be perceived as an insult. In fact, I'm glad that I was able to introduce some actually controversial discussion in this thread.
I respect that you don't like shinies, and that you aren't actively seeking to collect shinies. The thing that I dislike is the negative character label you gave me and other people who seek and collect shinies. I'm not like this:

And I was offended that I as a pokemon gamer was maligned in such a way because I enjoyed collecting shinies.

I won't feed this debate further here on this thread; if you wish to have further discussion on this, I'd be happy to continue it in VM. :)

Plus you need an item to get Scizor, which is a pain to get in XY (until you learn that a Pokémon with Compound Eyes bumps the chances that a wild Magneton is holding a Metal Coat from 5% to 20%).
Well most Steel types in X/Y end up being pretty heavily outshone by Honedge, which is available on Route 6 on the alternate paths back from Parfum Palace. Mawile could be a beast, but noooo, the Mawilite is only available in the post-game... And yet they practically chuck the Aerodactylite at your head even though finding Old Amber in the Rock Smash boulders isn't super common.

Durant is still pretty cool though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)