Pokémon Stonjourner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonjourner

Type(s) - Rock
Base Stats - 100 HP / 125 Atk / 135 Def / 20 SAtk / 20 SDef / 70 Spe

Abilities:
Power Spot: Just being next to the pokemon powers up moves. (I don't know the exact info for this ability)

Full Movepool:
Level Up:
- [00] Rock Throw
- [00] Block
- [06] Rock Polish
- [12] Rock Tomb
- [18] Gravity
- [24] Stomp
- [30] Stealth Rock
- [36] Rock Slide
- [42] Body Slam
- [48] Wide Guard
- [54] Heavy Slam
- [60] Stone Edge
- [66] Mega Kick
TMs:
- [TM01] Mega Kick
- [TM08] Hyper Beam
- [TM09] Giga Impact
- [TM19] Safeguard
- [TM20] Self-Destruct
- [TM21] Rest
- [TM22] Rock Slide
- [TM24] Snore
- [TM25] Protect
- [TM26] Scary Face
- [TM31] Attract
- [TM39] Facade
- [TM44] Imprison
- [TM48] Rock Tomb
- [TM49] Sand Tomb
- [TM54] Rock Blast
- [TM58] Assurance
- [TM71] Wonder Room
- [TM76] Round
- [TM81] Bulldoze
- [TM97] Brutal Swing
- [TM98] Stomping Tantrum
TRs:
- [TR01] Body Slam
- [TR10] Earthquake
- [TR20] Substitute
- [TR26] Endure
- [TR27] Sleep Talk
- [TR39] Superpower
- [TR46] Iron Defense
- [TR67] Earth Power
- [TR75] Stone Edge
- [TR76] Stealth Rock
- [TR79] Heavy Slam
- [TR88] Heat Crash
- [TR99] Body Press

Notable Moves:
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Polish
- Superpower
- Body Press
(I know there's other stuff out there, but frankly, I'm trying to write this from my experience)

[Pros]:
- Solid physical attack and defense, giving it a lot of power behind its attacks while still being able to tank a hit or two.
- While not the best, its speed is good enough for it to outspeed at least something before going down.
- Rock is decent as an offensive type, which easily allows Stonjourner to contribute at least something offensively.
[Cons]:
- Its speed is again, not the best, which leaves it easily overwhelmed against more offensively-geared teams.
- That special defense is absolutely atrocious. Any special attack WILL heavily damage it, or in most cases, OHKO it.
- Its typing is easily exploitable defensively, which, combined with that horrible special defense, Stonjourner likely won't last long at all.
- Power Spot is useless in Singles, essentially giving Stonjourner no abilities to make use of.
- As an offensive Stealth Rock setter, it faces great competition from Excadrill and Tyranitar, which have better typings defensively and offensively as well as generally better stats, while defensively, you're much better off using Ferrothorn, which has a better typing and a more beneficial ability in Iron Barbs, not to mention its access to actual recovery. Even more niche ones like Coalossal, Copperjah, and Runerigus work better.
Dynamax Potential:
Stonjourner ends up being so specially frail and, to an extent, slow, that it's not going to make good use of Dynamax. Its attack stat isn't also particularly impressive, to add insult to injury. Max Rockfall isn't any good because even with the Sandstorm boost in Special Defense, Stonjourner's just going to die to all special attacks. Just use Gyarados, Hawlucha and Excadrill if you need to Dynamax a pokemon.

How will Stonjourner do in OU?:
Terrible. Absolutely terrible. Although Stonjourner carries nice stats on the physical side, an exploitable defensive typing as well as an atrocious special defense stat leave no reason to actually use this thing over other, more consistent, Stealth Rock setters, like Tyranitar and Excadrill, or maybe Ferrothorn if you're more of a defensive player. Hell, even more niche ones like Coalossal, Copperjah, and Runerigus work better than Stonjourner. They have more beneficial abilities as well as better stats across the board in general, and carry more support options as well, be it Spikes in the case of Ferrothorn and Coalossal, Rapid Spin in the case of Excadrill, or Toxic Spikes in the case of Runerigus.

Unless you're going to use this for memeing players, don't use it OU or UU. Maybe in RU, NU, or PU, it'll have a better niche there.

Potential Movesets:
Stonjourner (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Power Spot
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Pretty simple set: come in, set up Stealth Rock, hopefully get up Rock Polish, and take a foe or two down with you.

A defensive set could be plausible, however, I'm not entirely confident it'll do well in this metagame with the high amount of pokemon that can hit it super effectively.

Last edited:
Body Press is worth a mention too given the high physical defense. But uhhh, that low special defense is a real mood killer. It's like reverse Chansey but without the recovery, support, and status moves...

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For a Pokémon with such a fantastic design I was really hoping to find even some gimmicky potential. Game Freak made that pretty tough since they didn’t even give it Trick Room, and from preliminary research it looks like Power Spot’s boost in doubles is only 10%. Oh well. Good work on the analysis!

Edit: I was wrong, the boost is 30%! Bless up Stonjourners

Last edited:

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
This thing was the perfect opportunity for the first Rock/Ghost type and I'm sad that GF didn't pull the trigger on it.

Or you know, they could have made Runerigus that as well but apparently drawings usually painted on ROCKS screamed Ground type for some reason.

And yeah that SpDef is crippling. You know there's a problem when your Spdef is worse than Kartana's lmao.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
This thing was the perfect opportunity for the first Rock/Ghost type and I'm sad that GF didn't pull the trigger on it.

Or you know, they could have made Runerigus that as well but apparently drawings usually painted on ROCKS screamed Ground type for some reason.

And yeah that SpDef is crippling. You know there's a problem when your Spdef is worse than Kartana's lmao.
Don't forget corsola to round out the holy trinity of "why are these not rock/ghost types"

For a Pokémon with such a fantastic design I was really hoping to find even some gimmicky potential. Game Freak made that pretty tough since they didn’t even give it Trick Room, and from preliminary research it looks like Power Spot’s boost in doubles is only 10%. Oh well. Good work on the analysis!
Jesus, only 10%? That's so bad. It at least has a few other positive Doubles traits like Wide Guard, a strong and decently fast Rock Slide, and... umm... Imprison I guess?

This thing gets base 70 Speed, Rock Polish, 125 Atk, and the physical bulk to find setup opportunities and tank (physical) priority moves. This doesn't look like a bad cleaner at all in a lower tier. In theory you could run SpD investment on Stonjourner (remember, Chansey has base 5 Def; 252+ EV's go a long way), but with a bad defensive typing, no reliable recovery, and no status that's questionable. Probably better to just live with the Achilles Heel and invest into that base 125 attack stat instead. Overall this guy is going to the lower tiers, but he does have the stats to at least do something down there.

I personally have used a Weakness Policy Rock Polish set which has proven to be decent. With its good HP and great defense, it almost always can take a physical hit or two, and the Rock type gives it a lot of weaknesses, which means plenty of opportunities to activate Weakness Policy. With Rock Polish boosting speed to great levels, and WP boosting its already high attack, it can usually take down an opponent or two with Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Heat Crash. I would normally opt for Body Press, but this set focuses on maximizing attack, so I use Heat Crash instead. Plus Heat Crash can hit Ferrothorn and Corviknight super effectively. Again, it has its flaws, but if you use it properly it can be effective.

This thing gets base 70 Speed, Rock Polish, 125 Atk, and the physical bulk to find setup opportunities and tank (physical) priority moves. This doesn't look like a bad cleaner at all in a lower tier. In theory you could run SpD investment on Stonjourner (remember, Chansey has base 5 Def; 252+ EV's go a long way), but with a bad defensive typing, no reliable recovery, and no status that's questionable. Probably better to just live with the Achilles Heel and invest into that base 125 attack stat instead. Overall this guy is going to the lower tiers, but he does have the stats to at least do something down there.
On top of 252 EVs and a positive nature, being a rock type it also gets a 50% bonus to Sp. Def in sand. Is that worth anything? I feel like weather is a bit less reliable this gen.

Don't forget corsola to round out the holy trinity of "why are these not rock/ghost types"
Coral in real life isn’t a rock at all, it’s considered an animal. OG Corsola is the weird one for being rock type at all.

This dude could patch up his Spdf with Assault Vest and Sandstorm but it probably wouldn’t be as good as boosting its actual strengths.

This guy was designed to be the middle Pokémon during raids IMo. Nothing more

Last edited:
Super gimmicky, but since it's going to be NU anyway, why not?

Stonjourner @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Wide Guard
- Stomping Tantrum
Basically, in doubles, send out in sand for the SpD boost it gets for being Rock, alternate Rock Slide with various protects (either Wide if you predict like a Surf, or regular Protect if you think they'll gun for Stonjourner). Mix it up by attemping back-to-back protects of whatever variety from time to time, if it fails, follow up with Stomping Tantrum. All the while providing a passive power boost to your ally (and potentially preserving them with Wide Guard), which hopefully makes them appear like a bigger threat and takes attention away from Stonjourner.

*shrug*

Thought about Ancient Power for a hot second since it has a chance to further boost defenses, but then realized it's a SpA move...

Last edited:

Matleo

Banned deucer.
its ability boosts itself or not? when used together with Wandering spirit maybe be a good match?
if you also get follow me on both and use it on the right oponents?
70 speed?
fast stealthrock and gravity setter?
weird? if using sunny day , grassy terrain this could be quite a good physical wall if it could use moves to encore, spite or something in that matter.
Sand tomb but no Sandstorm? weird...

If it could switch its stats during battle...

see potential if it gets secondary and hidden ability here.
And if Power Spot boosts it's own moves in future too.
Always could get evo, form change or Gigantamax here.

If this one gets Bulletproof or Solid Rock... or a rock type version of Eiscues Ice Face but for it's special defense...

This one could get G-max.

I hope Dynamax leaves. This pokemon gets so many interesting moves like Heat Crash and Heavy Slam but they're all invalidated because they're nullified by Dynamax. Making Dynamax immune to weight moves is probably the stupidest thing I heard. I really wanted to like this thing as a tankier attacker on the physical side, but Stonjurner just requires waaay to much support to do anything.

This thing needs to set up Rock Polish, then switch Wonder Room on and off depending on the opponent. Add sandstorm to the mix for the SpD boost and it's... not worth all the trouble still, huh. I like this thing, but they didn't even have the decency to pull the Trick Room trigger on it; this Speed is the worst.

Coral in real life isn’t a rock at all, it’s considered an animal. OG Corsola is the weird one for being rock type at all.

This dude could patch up his Spdf with Assault Vest and Sandstorm but it probably wouldn’t be as good as boosting its actual strengths.

This guy was designed to be the middle Pokémon during raids IMo. Nothing more
That is not really an accurate statement. Corals are animals but their skeletons are essentially rocks (they're made of calcium carbonate, the same stuff in limestone) and when they die, what you are left with is basically a rock. It honestly doesn't make sense that Cursola isn't rock + ghost type as that would be completely logical. (If anything why isn't it Ghost + Water? It died and somehow stopped being a sea creature?)

Stonjourner does get block and wonder room so there could be some potential for mind games and shenanigans. Its ability might be better if it at least got Fake Out or Follow Me so it could act as supporter for a threatening sweeper companion in doubles. I guess Wide Guard is about as exciting as it gets.

It honestly doesn't make sense that Cursola isn't rock + ghost type as that would be completely logical. (If anything why isn't it Ghost + Water? It died and somehow stopped being a sea creature?)
Ghosts aren't made of bones, I figure ghost coral works similarly. It's just the animal's essence. Presumably Corsola's rock corpse is somewhere.

I'm thankful they went this route as Rock / Ghost probably wouldn't see much competitive use.

Ghosts aren't made of bones, I figure ghost coral works similarly. It's just the animal's essence. Presumably Corsola's rock corpse is somewhere.

I'm thankful they went this route as Rock / Ghost probably wouldn't see much competitive use.
I dunno, we have Polteageist who can fulfill a similar role, if only less so on trick room teams.

Rock + Ghost would be excellent offensive coverage, allowing it to hit a lot of stuff with a good STAB combo that isn’t resisted by much. (Though, sadly, most of them are in SwSh like Stuffol, Scrafty and Bisharp.)

Defensively it’s a mixed bag. You gain water, ground, grass and steel weaknesses in exchange for fire and flying resistance so that’s not the best trade off. That being said, being able to tank a few max airstreams could be significant, you wanna KO that sucker before it finishes setting up.

More than anything I’d just like to see that type combo in the game since it’s interesting. Duskull and Dusklops are skull based so it seems reasonable.

Been running with Stonjourner in doubles and gotta say he actually works out pretty well. He does not fit into the usual roles and styles you'd expect; as he just outclassed in those easily. Don't underestimate Power Spot. I've been running this with surprising success:

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Wide Guard
- Stomping Tantrum
- Stone Edge/Body Press/Etc
His main purpose is to sit there and provide Power Spot on top of whatever item his partner has, Choice Band, Life Orb, etc. Pairs best with Tyranitar I think, to get sand coverage boost, however little that helps. People act in accordance to how they normally would to T-tar and typically ignore Stonjourner (I'd imagine due to its perceived weakness), only to find out T-tar can now hit hard enough to 1-2 hit KO what he couldn't before. Wide Guard potential incoming Surfs and Quakes, otherwise Protect, throw out a move if you feel save, if a Protect fails cuz you risked multiple and you survived, then throw out Stomping Tantrum as a stronger EQ. Area moves like EQ from Stonjourner's partner aren't a joke either, with that boost while he protects. You get the idea.

A 30% boost to an attack that is say, normally 100, is 130; 30 points higher, but a 30% boost to something already boosted to 130, would be 169; 39 points higher. I dunno, just thoughts, but seems to work out well in practice, as said.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Been running with Stonjourner in doubles and gotta say he actually works out pretty well. He does not fit into the usual roles and styles you'd expect; as he just outclassed in those easily. Don't underestimate Power Spot. I've been running this with surprising success:

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Wide Guard
- Stomping Tantrum
- Stone Edge/Body Press/Etc
His main purpose is to sit there and provide Power Spot on top of whatever item his partner has, Choice Band, Life Orb, etc. Pairs best with Tyranitar I think, to get sand coverage boost, however little that helps. People act in accordance to how they normally would to T-tar and typically ignore Stonjourner (I'd imagine due to its perceived weakness), only to find out T-tar can now hit hard enough to 1-2 hit KO what he couldn't before. Wide Guard potential incoming Surfs and Quakes, otherwise Protect, throw out a move if you feel save, if a Protect fails cuz you risked multiple and you survived, then throw out Stomping Tantrum as a stronger EQ. Area moves like EQ from Stonjourner's partner aren't a joke either, with that boost while he protects. You get the idea.

A 30% boost to an attack that is say, normally 100, is 130; 30 points higher, but a 30% boost to something already boosted to 130, would be 169; 39 points higher. I dunno, just thoughts, but seems to work out well in practice, as said.
Yeah but this thread is only for singles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)