move 2: Yawn
move 3: Protect
move 4: Earthquake
item: Leftovers
ability: Mimicry
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Despite its solid defensive stats, great defensive typing, and access to Stealth Rock, Galarian Stunfisk unfortunately suffers from a lack of reliable recovery, leaving it open to being worn down by status and chip damage, which is not ideal for a defensive Pokemon. In addition, its Ground / Steel typing, while being good for checking various common attacking types, also leaves it open to other common types like Fighting, Water, and Ground. Galarian Stunfisk's only notable niche in the OU metagame is its access to both Stealth Rock and Yawn, allowing it to force switches against entry hazard removers such as Corviknight and Mandibuzz and freely set up Stealth Rock on the predicted switch. Protect works in conjunction with Yawn in order to force a Yawn-inflicted foe to fall asleep should it stay in, as well as scouting coverage moves in order to switch into an appropriate check while also healing some HP with Leftovers. Finally, Earthquake allows Galarian Stunfisk to dent many Pokemon that it can normally switch into, such as Toxtricity. A specially defensive spread helps Galarian Stunfisk take as many hits from special attackers as it can, giving it a better matchup against specially offensive threats like Toxtricity, Aegislash, and Dragapult.

Galarian Stunfisk fits best on balanced teams, as many common Pokemon present on balance builds tend to complement Galarian Stunfisk's weaknesses, particularly Mandibuzz, Aegislash, and Toxapex. Spinblockers like Aegislash and Dragapult can also help keep Stealth Rock on the field and directly switch into Fighting-type attacks. Because of its lack of reliable recovery, Galarian Stunfisk also appreciates Pokemon that can get rid of entry hazards such as Mandibuzz and Corviknight.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[MeepBard, 196075]]
- Quality checked by: [[TDK, 185591]], [Mannat, 144451]]
- Grammar checked by: [[deetah, 297659]]

Last edited:

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I don't really see the benefit of using Snap Trap. It is the only Pokemon that gets the move, but it doesn't really serve a purpose at all. Stunfisk can't take advantage of the passive trapping beyond "well they can't switch now" which isn't really something that justifies the moveslot or using Stunfisk in general. From my personal experience the thing Stunfisk does that sets it apart from everything else is Yawn + SR. Unlike Steelix (sharing Steel/Ground typing + setting Rocks), Yawn lets Stunfisk get rocks up vs Defoggers such as Corviknight and Mandibuzz, as well as Yawn + Protect giving it the opportunity to shut down some Dynamax Pokemon that may try to take advantage of it. I also think it should be Specially Defensive invested rather than Physically, because allowing it to hard counter things like Toxtricity, help vs Aegislash, and significantly more bulk vs Dragapult, whereas the physical bulk isn't exactly going to be gamebreaking from my experiences with it.

Stunfisk is a pretty mediocre Pokemon and it's hard to justify using it, but this is definitely the best way to utilize it I think. I think the set should be changed to this.

Stunfisk-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Mimicry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Yawn
- Earthquake

After you've made the change tag me or message me on Discord and I'll check it.

I don't really see the benefit of using Snap Trap. It is the only Pokemon that gets the move, but it doesn't really serve a purpose at all. Stunfisk can't take advantage of the passive trapping beyond "well they can't switch now" which isn't really something that justifies the moveslot or using Stunfisk in general. From my personal experience the thing Stunfisk does that sets it apart from everything else is Yawn + SR. Unlike Steelix (sharing Steel/Ground typing + setting Rocks), Yawn lets Stunfisk get rocks up vs Defoggers such as Corviknight and Mandibuzz, as well as Yawn + Protect giving it the opportunity to shut down some Dynamax Pokemon that may try to take advantage of it. I also think it should be Specially Defensive invested rather than Physically, because allowing it to hard counter things like Toxtricity, help vs Aegislash, and significantly more bulk vs Dragapult, whereas the physical bulk isn't exactly going to be gamebreaking from my experiences with it.

Stunfisk is a pretty mediocre Pokemon and it's hard to justify using it, but this is definitely the best way to utilize it I think. I think the set should be changed to this.

Stunfisk-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Mimicry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Yawn
- Earthquake

After you've made the change tag me or message me on Discord and I'll check it.
thank you!! really good changes. implemented

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Protect allows Galarian Stunfisk to primarily stall out turns of Yawn should the opponent stay in on it
This is worded kinda weird because it implies that the "drowsy" effect from yawn lasts multiple turns.

I'd add a sentence that talks about how it fits best on balanced teams, but that should be all for changes. Good stuff QC 2/2

This is worded kinda weird because it implies that the "drowsy" effect from yawn lasts multiple turns.

I'd add a sentence that talks about how it fits best on balanced teams, but that should be all for changes. Good stuff QC 2/2
thank you so so much for the check and the additional advice on discord i rly appreciate it
ready for GP :]

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma

GP 1/1

shinxstamp.gif

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Yawn
move 3: Protect
move 4: Earthquake
item: Leftovers
ability: Mimicry
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Despite its solid defensive stats, great defensive typing, and access to Stealth Rock, Galarian Stunfisk unfortunately suffers from a lack of reliable recovery, leaving it open to be being worn down by status and chip damage, which is not ideal for a defensive Pokemon. In addition, its Ground / Steel typing, while being good for checking various common attacking types, also leaves it open to other common types like Fighting, Water, (AC) and Ground. Galarian Stunfisk's only notable niche in the OU metagame is having its access to both Stealth Rock and Yawn, allowing it to force switches against entry hazard removers such as Corviknight and Mandibuzz and freely set up Stealth Rock on the predicted switch. Protect works in conjunction with Yawn in order to force a Yawn-inflicted opponent foe to fall asleep should they it stay in, as well as to scout scouting coverage moves in order to switch into an appropriate check while also healing some HP with Leftovers. Finally, Earthquake allows Galarian Stunfisk to dent many Pokemon that it can normally switch into, such as Toxitricity Toxtricity. A specially defensive spread gives Galarian Stunfisk lets it helps Galarian Stunfisk take as many hits from special attackers as it can, giving it a better matchup against specially offensive threats like Toxitricity Toxtricity, Aegislash, (AC) and Dragapult.

Galarian Stunfisk fits best on balanced teams, (AC) as many common Pokemon present on balance builds tend to complement Galarian Stunfisk's weaknesses, particularly Mandibuzz, Aegislash, (AC) and Toxapex. Spinblockers like Aegislash and Dragapult can also help keep Stealth Rock on the field and directly switch into Fighting-type attacks. Because of its lack of reliable recovery, Galarian Stunfisk also appreciates Pokemon that can get rid of entry hazards such as Mandibuzz and Corviknight.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[MeepBard, 196075]]
- Quality checked by: [[TDK, 185591]], [Mannat, 144451]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)