Stunt Stall

Stunt Stall

Introduction
As you can infer from basic statistical analysis, this team has met eminent success throughout its usage span. It didn't take more than a "Stunt can't use anything but baton pass" to push me towards non-weather stall. Stall, however, is increasingly difficult to pull off this generation because of the introduction of eclectic and multitudinous threats. Each pokemon on this team had to be meticulously picked out to create a stall team which can handle the majority of the OU metagame.

Teambuilding

Shining Stall

Quagsire was the obvious start. It counters multifarious threats, from Dragon Dance Dragonite to Calm Mind Reuniclus. I chose a physically defensive variant because it is more suited to the more physically based metagame.

Rotom-W is the felicitous compliment to Quagsire. Rotom-W checks STAB Ground, Flying, and Water attackers that Quagsire could not handle otherwise. It also plays a pivotal role against Rain teams.

Scizor always acts as Rotom-W's right hand man, scouting for each other with U-turn and Volt Switch respectively. For the team, Scizor helps with STAB Dragon and STAB Grass attacks. But in the endgame, it could wind up sweeping by itself with just one setup.

Reuniclus is a staple for non-weather teams. It carries a dual role: taking STAB Fighting attacks as well as sweeping teams when its threats are dealt with. Reuniclus is a constant threat to opposing stall and I can rely on it as a constant switchin when my side is filled with hazards.

Though fire attacks in itself are not a huge problem to this team, its threat exacerbates when it is contiguous with Grass moves. Since this combination is often seen in Sun teams, Heatran truly keeps the team from incoherence against Sun. As a plus, Heatran's typing helps deal with the Magnezone + Dragons combo as well.

The first five pokemon have some loose ties in countering certain pokemon or certain sets. Chansey is always there as a second resort, often preventing sweeps with its bulk. As a plus, it puts a hazard on the field which is crucial for stall teams to operate.

The team suffered from a dearth of Band Outrage receivers, a problem which was exacerbated by the addition of hazards by Deoxys-S. It was inevitable that Xatu joined the team to alleviate the burden placed upon Scizor and Heatran. Xatu was chosen over Espeon for its more suitable typing in reflecting hazards from Ferrothorn and Roserade and its reliable recovery move. Unfortunately, putting two psychic types on one team is just asking for Tyranitar to tear it apart, so Reuniclus had to go.

Instead of running a burdensome Heatran set just to counter Dugtrio, I decided that Dragonite could do Heatrans job equally well, while playing multiple roles such as revenge killer or overwhelming teams with its sheer power.

Scizor with no leftovers recovery was a burden to me, 2HKO'd by most outrages while being unable to revenge with an attack powerful enough to KO the dragons. Skarmory was left to fill its spot, being the only wall capable of shutting down band dragons. It also solved my Heracross and Cacturne problem with relative ease.

With its role as secondary Landorus/Excadrill counter usurped by Skarmory and its role as Scizor's complement taken away, Rotom-W no longer served a purpose for the team. To take its spot, I wanted a bulky fighter who could utilize its strong STAB moves to force out Magnezone and Tyranitar and resist sandstorm at the same time. Testing both Lucario and Terrakion, I determined that Terrakion was the best spot for this team due to its overall survivability and strength.

Changing Xatu to Reuniclus was truly a tough decision. The former truly prevented my team from falling apart from hazards, while the latter could help take status, especially burns. In the end, burns from Scald and Lava Plume became too troublesome for my team to handle. I decided that Reuniclus could offer the same resistance as Xatu and remain a safe switchin against opposing stall when there is amounting hazards.

Analyses

Shining Stall

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stockpile
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake

Quagsire's ability is priceless in a generation inundated by boosting sweepers. However, Quagsire is rather paradoxical in that, while his typing can wall many special threats like Thundurus and Zapdos, his Base Stats favor the walling of physical threats like Toxicroak and Scrafty. By picking this pokemon for my team, I was thrust into a "Friday" conundrum: "Which set should I pick?"

Stockpile was the perfect option. Quagsire can utilize boosts in both defenses to its advantage, dealing with threats on both sides of the attack spectrum. From pure defensive Quagsire to mixed defensive Quagsire, threats like Heatran and Reuniclus can now be checked for a second time.

Choosing attacks for the set was relatively simple: 2 STAB moves would suffice. Scald can burn Pokemon which Quagsire can not deal significant damage to otherwise, and Earthquake can weaken those who are unaffected by Scald.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 80 Def / 108 SAtk / 84 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-W acts as a strong support pokemon to this team. On the defensive side, it acts as a check to Gliscor, Excadrill, Landorus when Quagsire cannot handle them. On the Sp. Defensive side, it can handle Scarf Tornadus and Heatrans, while helping the team with STAB Water attacks.

Another role of Rotom-W is scout. Rotom-W forces so many switches that Volt Switch will become hackneyed. These Volt Switches will eventually wear down the opponent to the extent that Reuniclus or Scizor have opportunities to sweep. Those who resist Rotom-W's offensive movepool will still receive burns.

Scizor (F) @ Lum Berry Trait: Technician
EVs: 176 HP / 220 Atk / 112 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Scizor is the perfect companion for Rotom-W, creating the infamous duo of scouting. It has a wonderful typing which aids me against dragons and slower setup sweepers. Bullet Punch stops opposing sweeps from getting out of hand.

The standard Scizor sets were rather repugnant to me, since I hated being locked into moves like Bullet Punch which could easily allow the opponent to setup. Concurrently, I wanted a set which could dish out a powerful U-turn. The set before you is a rather whimsical set, in which Choice Band is feigned throughout the match and Swords Dance sweeps at the end. The speed bump is for bulky Heatran, Skarmory, and to a lesser extent Jellicent, who seem to believe they can outspeed.

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Substitute
- Roar

Heatran is pretty much a 1 pokemon solution to most sun teams. Its typing helps me deal with threats like Tornadus, Latios, and Scizor as well. The tricky part is creating a set which can thwart Dugtrio. Shed shell and Air Balloon were all viable options, but Heatran really needs Leftovers considering he has no other means of recovery.

The idea of this set is that many Pokemon lack the strength or movepool to destroy a Heatran substitute. This includes Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory, Ninetales, etc. When behind a substitute, Heatran can Lava Plume to hopefully burn the opponent or Roar if the matchup is unfavorable.

Protect is a necessary means of scouting Ground and Fighting moves, while providing a meager recovery. Usually when I substitute and Dugtrio comes in, it is a Focus Sash variant. I roar it out and get Stealth Rocks up as soon as possible with Chansey.

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Reuniclus is the best no weather pokemon. Magic Guard makes it an easy switchin to vexatious hazards and vindictive status. On this team, Reuniclus is Jekyll, a fantastic physical wall. It can handle fighting sweepers like Lucario and Terrakion and wall non-STAB physical moves like Haxorus Earthquake.

In the endgame, when Tyranitar, Jirachi, and Scizor are either dead or burned, Reuniclus mutates into Hyde, sweeping entire teams with a setup or 2. Many stall teams which rely on a singular counter to Reuniclus find themselves unable to OHKO it and are plunged into derogatory defeat.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 204 HP / 248 Def / 56 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Softboiled

Chansey is the almighty wall, who does not allow any trespassers by without a paralyzation. She almost never fails to set Stealth Rocks, and sits on mixed dragons with her obesity. The one job which Chansey does particularly well is taking Specs Surf, which this team would have problems with otherwise. Paralyzation support bolsters this team by alleviating threats which Scizor and Reuniclus have problems dealing with.

Conclusion
As a whole, this team is relatively simple to use. I have released this team to hopefully arouse 2 facts:
-Weather is not broken.
-Stall is still viable.
And to finalize this RMT, I'd like to apologize for the dearth of content on the last few pokes; I have grown jaded through writing this.

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stockpile
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake

Quagsire's ability is priceless in a generation inundated by boosting sweepers. However, Quagsire is rather paradoxical in that, while his typing can wall many special threats like Thundurus and Zapdos, his Base Stats favor the walling of physical threats like Toxicroak and Scrafty. By picking this pokemon for my team, I was thrust into a "Friday" conundrum: "Which set should I pick?"

Stockpile was the perfect option. Quagsire can utilize boosts in both defenses to its advantage, dealing with threats on both sides of the attack spectrum. From pure defensive Quagsire to mixed defensive Quagsire, threats like Heatran and Reuniclus can now be checked for a second time.

Choosing attacks for the set was relatively simple: 2 STAB moves would suffice. Scald can burn Pokemon which Quagsire can not deal significant damage to otherwise, and Earthquake can weaken those who are unaffected by Scald.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Skarmory has been the ultimate physical wall for 4 generations. Sad to say, it is not as adroit at its job this generation due to the power creep. Many physical pokemon now possess the ability to 2HKO it and Magnezone guarantees that Skarmory has to be used with caution. Unfortunately, it is still the only counter to a common threat like Haxorus, making it a necessity on any stall team.

The conjunction of Quagsire and Skarmory counters most physical threats in this metagame. Skarmory works best against pokemon with strong Ground STABs which Quagsire cannot handle alone. Spikes are important to have on the field early so that the opponent cannot be as mobile throughout the game. Skarmory should be carefully played with, due to the random mixed sets that people run to counter it.

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Recover

Different than most Reunicli, this Reuniclus has a triple role for this team. Firstly, it functions as the conqueror of stall breakers. With Shadow Ball, Reuniclus will inevitably force switches against the likes of Mew and Jellicent. Secondly, it aims to defeat opposing stall whose main focus is to maintain hazards rather than end sweeps. Thirdly, Reuniclus can wall attacks from band fighters.

Reuniclus' effectiveness is really ameliorated by the presence of my banders and my defensive core. Dragonite and Terrakion really force the opponent to sacrifice pokemon, hopefully attracting Reuniclus' possible counters. Defensive wise, Quagsire can attempt burning Jirachi or Scizor, while Chansey can paralyze Jirachi, making it difficult for the opponent to KO Reuniclus.

Xatu (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 96 SDef / 12 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roost
- Night Shade
- Reflect
- Toxic

Xatu is what holds this team together against stall teams and offense teams who try to maul opponents with strategies similar to Blitzkrieg. It can switch into Roserades, Deoxys-S', and the steels with relative ease, while Jirachis, Tentacruels, and Heatrans are a bit more troublesome due to the chance of getting statused. Nonetheless, Xatu does its job well.

Usually, with Xatu, I switch it in on anything which could possibly have a hazard. Even if it faints, Terrakion or Dragonite could easily force a switch before it can set the hazard. Reflect is a necessary precaution against Gyro Balls or Crunches, while Toxic is aimed towards common switchins to Xatu. Night Shade can deal a constant damage which a STAB like psychic fails to do.

For team synergy, Xatu takes Band Fighting attacks which are relatively obvious. It is definitely not my first switchin to any physical threat; that would be Quagsire or Skarmory. When I have to sacrifice a pokemon against teams with no more hazards, Xatu is usually the first to go.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

Terrakion is truly a powerhouse. His Close Combat and Stone Edge decimates anything that does not resist it. Its typing benefits it by nullifying sandstorm damage and resisting Stealth Rock damage. It also helps by allowing Terrak to switch in on Dark and Fire type moves. Unlike other fighting types, Terrakion's bulk and offense capabilities are not accompanied by a hindered speed. In fact, Terrakion is a great revenger for slower threats like Lucario, Celebi, and even Rotom-W.

Terrakions role for the team is to utilize its threatening STABs to indirectly phaze opponents, dealing massive damage in the process. This is most commonly used on pokemon like Tyranitar.

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spd
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Having Dragonite is like buying insurance. By investing in this pokemon for this team, I am pretty much ensured that I will not be swept by any singular pokemon. Multiscale keeps Dragonite from dying from non-effective attacks and Extremespeed makes sure that Dragonite won't even have to take attacks at times. 1 weak point to Dragonite is Stealth Rocks, which is covered nicely by Xatu.

Dragonite wins most of its fights with its superb typing. It benefits my team by providing resistances to Fire, Water, Grass, Bug, and Fighting, causing threats like Celebi and Volcarona to flee.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 204 HP / 248 Def / 56 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Softboiled

Chansey is the almighty wall, who does not allow any trespassers by without a paralyzation. Chansey is the wall for any special attacks, and even weaker physical attacks. She almost never fails to set Stealth Rocks, and sits on mixed dragons with her obesity. Paralyzation is extremely important for this team, making quicker threats more susceptible to death by Band Dragonite or Terrakion.
The only downfall to her reign is the possibility of being Tricked. To minimize this, Chansey should not be the switchin to a possible tricker if it can be avoided by prediction.

Conclusion
In this generation, full out stall is no longer the epitome of teambuilding. With a plethora of setup sweepers, stall is best executed with pokemon which can end sweeps rather than a team filled with walls.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm gonna play you with Tentacruel + Celebi and beat you :D.

Also why do you not have Max hp on Chansey?

congrats on the record ma dude!

Hey there, my #1 rival. :p

I actually played this on one of my alts (when I saw it in team preview I thought it was another variation of my old team -,-). Boy was I wrong. Anyway, this team seems to have issues with Conkeldurr. You don't want to risk burning it with Quagsire and Reuniclus is using Psyshock so it can't hurt Conkeldurr faster than Conkeldurr is hurting it with Payback. If Reuniclus is weakened even a little by something like Scizor's Pursuit then fighting types in general are gonna have a field day with your team. Lol, Heracross seems like it can sweep you 6-0. To fix this Conkeldurr problem at least change Psyshock to Psychic.

edit: no need to be sarcastic. They have drain punch for healing you know. >.> and tell me how do you handle heracross?

Yeah I have a problem with Conkeldurrs who can critical hit my quagsire twice.
Else, I'll just Earthquake it to death with Quagsire. I've wisened up !

Celebi I try to counter with both Heatran and Chansey. Chansey can definitely get a Twave on it so my Scizor can U-turn upon it later. I'm playing with this team more and I'm trying to find problems.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How does your team handle Thundurus. At first glance, you have Quagsire. But due to its low SpD, Focus Blast is still going to tear you a new one. Since you don't use it against the powerful ground types anyways, I suggest using a more specially based spread. You still have little trouble against DD Nites due to Stockpile.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay, Taunt Jellicent is a nightmare for your team, you literally can't do anything to it. Jellicent walls everything Scizor does and Burns it, walls everything Quagsire does, Taunts to prevent setup, and Burn/Toxics it, Taunts Reuniclus to prevent setup, and walls Heatran. Your only hope against Jellicent is Rotom-W, but:

108 SpAtk Rotom-W Volt Switch vs 252 HP/32 SpDef Jellicent: 44.55% - 52.72%
3 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

So it can just Recover as you Volt Switch and continue walling your team. With that in mind, I suggest you run Thunderbolt on Rotom-W so that you can actually 2HKO Jellicent. (108 SpAtk Rotom-W Thunderbolt vs 252 HP/32 SpDef Jellicent: 60.15% - 71.29%) Yes, you lose some scouting, but Rotom-W's switchins are predictable enough and Burning them is often a good course of action in any case.

EDIT: I like the use of flamboyant vocabulary, my good sir.

Jellicent is something I like to play around with.
I go to Reuniclus' for burns and rotom-W to burn it, volt switching out, etc.
Of course my predictions are great, being the narcissist I am.

Thundurus is not a problem, since I have Chansey to Twave the Tbolt/HP Ice/ Fblast variants and I have quagsire to take the non focus blast variants.

Edit:
Heracross is evil to my team. I am going to change Scizor into something that fits my synergy a bit better.
Cacturne seems to be a problem, considering Gliscor.

Cool team, some small issues though. Choice Band Haxorus has no trouble coming in on Chansey or Quagsire and just firing off a CB Outrage. Scizor might be able to take an Outrage, but it's a 2HKO while Bullet Punch only is a 3HKO.
MixMence seems like he could be troubling, as with Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / Brick Break / Roost every team member gets 2HKOed while Salamence can just Roost when he gets low on health.
Swords Dance Virizion might be troublesome. He can set up against Quagsire or Rotom-W by forcing them out, and after that, every team member bar Reuniclus gets OHKOed. Reuniclus can survive an attack and use Psyshock, but Virizion actually has a chance of surviving Psyshock, and Reuniclus might be weakened when Virizion comes out.

A Cresselia is something to consider. You gain a better switchin to CB Haxorus and MixMence and you also gain another counter to Virizion as a good player will weaken Reuniclus first before trying to sweep. You also get Reflect which can really help your team in dealing with powerful phyiscal attackers. You could also try a Bronzong over Scizor, even though you lose U-Turn and Bullet Punch you gain a good switchin to CB Haxorus and a good check to MixMence and Virizion. You can also move Stealth Rock from Chansey to Bronzong and use something like Wish on Chansey.

Cresselia @ Leftovers | Levitate
Bold | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Ice Beam / Psychic / Reflect / Rest

Bronzong @ Leftovers | Levitate
Sassy | 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD
Stealth Rock / Gyro ball / Earthquake / Hidden Power Ice

The team is very cool right now as well though, so you can also try playing around them, I guess.

Good luck anyways!

Unfortunately for Bronzong, Mold Breaker Earthquake wrecks it.
Mixmence can be handled by chansey, if Stealth Rocks + Spikes are not both out.

I'm trying to find a way to implement some rapid spinner... but its difficult.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
+2 Focus Blast 2HKOs Chansey. Regular focus blast 2HKOs Quagsire with no SpD investment. Just simply move some EVs on Quagsire to SpD and its a done deal, also helps against random CMers and NPers not named Celebi or Virizion.

Cool overview team

A rapid close... LUM BERRY SCIZOR? oh... Left no? :adam::adam::adam::adam::adam::adam::adam:

awesome team, but why is it called SHINING STALL when you have reuniclus and scizor? o.o

I just recommend you use more special defense on scizor. Why? Because often times, you'll have scizor switching on reuniclus, gengar and lati@s, and, for this, you need to take special hits well.

Ok, so I have completely recreated this team.
I believe the current version is way better than the version shown, but when it comes to rating, they both perform well.

Should I just post it here or on a different thread?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have to say, I really like the choice of your 2 CBers. Terrakion breaks through Steel Types, while Dragonite overwhelms everything else, not to mention a nice revenge killer. With the right prediction, Terrakion and Dragonite can easily break through walls and sweep. The fact that you have 2 CBers just means you have twice the insurance to break through their team, while the opponent would have a rough time breaking through yours.

Your 2 CBers complements well with the stall aspect of the team. The defensive core provides the necessary defense for the team to fall back on when the CBers need to retreat, and the hazards add more pressure on the opponent when the CBers are out.

Since this thread is so slow, can somebody point me to how I can resolve a Mew with
Will-o- Wisp/ Taunt/ Ice Beam/ Softboiled

That does not involve the changing of Dragonite to Heatran?

Xatu should already beat it if you can get it in on anything but an Ice Beam as I'm pretty sure you can outstall it unless they run something stupid like 252 SpA EVs lol...

Not a stall person, but since this team is so unique, I'll give my best shot at it. First of, you're weak to CB users. From the looks of it, CB Terrakion OHKOs or 2HKOs your entire team with rocks. Same story for Rivalry Haxorus. I can't say much, as Skarm is like the best wall ever, but he's 2HKOd by both threats. Also for your Mew problem, you can switch to Xatu. Magic Bounce reflects the Taunt if I remember. And if that doesn't work, you can bait with Chansey and switch to nite or Terrakion, then Outrage for some fun. Since you are a good player, you should be able to predict around Mew's unpredictability.

Stealth Rocks usually don't get set on my side of the field until late game because I often sacrifice my Xatu and force my opponent out before they can set the hazard.

Rivalry Haxorus actually falls 20% short of a 2HKO on Skarmory. Extra measures include setting Stealth Rocks + Spikes early so that Dragonite's Extremespeed could KO if it gets to be too threatening. (Also haxorus would have to be Female Gender)

CB Terrakion is definitely a force to be reckoned with. My first switch is always Skarmory/ Quagsire. If close combat is the choice the opponent picks, I go to Xatu. If Stone edge, then Quagsire. Repeated encounters would definitely take a toll on my team, though I generally keep it at bay by keeping Quagsire or Skarmory in.

Mew is scary in the sandstorm for me. I played one which predicted a Xatu switch for 50% damage. Which isn't too bad, if it wasn't for the sandstorm. Usually I like a bit stronger checks for certain things.

I can definitely see a set like

@ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
-Megahorn
-Close Combat
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge

to replace Terrakion as a Mew counter.
The way this set would work, is that it would switch in on Mew and pursuit it!
Guts activation is extra power ;)

The problem with that is that it's too slow to revenge Celebi and Lucario, both of which hurt your team very badly. TBH I think Terrakion's speed is necessary just because you can't lose the ability to revenge random threats like Celebi and Lucario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)