Suicune + CB Mamo High Ladder Fun (Peaked #74 1800+)

I made my first smogon post in May and it was a pretty awful rmt maybe this one will be better
Idk why people put songs here but if u wanna listen to something while reading this is a bop​

Not entirely sure how to make one of these properly but I recently hit my peak with this super fun team and I wanted to share it with the noobs looking at rmts trying to find some broken shit to climb with, in my humble opinion this is like top 10 maybe top 1 best teams ever and I think anyone who isn't a scrub unlike myself can probably achieve something better than me.

Team Introduction + Proof of Peak (It took me like 10 minutes to figure out these gifs)

image_2021-12-27_165749.png

image_2021-12-27_165713.png

I can't stress enough how EASY this team is to use, so here's the rundown of my thought process behind building this team:

1. Mamoswine
:choice-band:
Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
Mamo is an absolute menace just the sheer damage and its crazy strong STAB its incredible how this thing isn't ou. I was initially running this team with something else, I think it was nidoking :nidoking: but ig priority was an issue for me i really have no clue why I decided to throw this thing on my team. I know initially it was rocks but i changed it to knock for slightly better coverage and I've never been like "awww man I wish I had rocks here", however I think bluffing rocks on this is the funniest shit ever. I'll lead this almost every single game and the rocks lead bluff never gets old. There have been times where I'll lead on landorus-t :landorus-therian: and they see the oblivious and I just type in chat like "Just Built This Team. Forgot To Change The Ability Lol." This thing is an incredible anti-lead, and the only thing you ever really have to switch out on is urshifu :urshifu-rapid-strike:, which isn't a threat to the team especially not early in the game. Long story short you lead off with this, click buttons, it picks up KOs, and flinches down things like corviknight :corviknight: and ferrothorn :ferrothorn: with relative ease. Its main weakness is bulkier water types like fini :tapu-fini: and rotom :rotom-wash:

2. Suicune
:leftovers:
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Rest
Hands down the cheapest mon in existence suicune :suicune: can literally carry you out of the depths of hell with little to no effort. Not too much to say about this mon you can cm over the threshold where electric moves break your sub and with volcarona :volcarona: + scald to burn the two potential threats in the tier grass types are never a major issue. Just pressure stall the bad guys with sub and rest, and then cm your way up to where nothing else can touch you. The only thing you have to watch out for is a taunt mon like mew :mew:, a majority of the time you speed tie with fini :tapu-fini: and at +1 you just have to stall out misty terrain until you can get a burn, switch to unaware clef on cm variants :clefable:, or go rillaboom :rillaboom: on a taunt. With kyurem :kyurem: out of the tier suicune :suicune: has really shined and I think it's super underrated in ou right now. Along with that you can switch this in to literally ANY pokemon thats a physical threat to volc :volcarona: and just rest off hits, super cheap, super fun pokemon.

3. Volcarona

:heavy-duty-boots:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fiery Dance
- U-turn
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Super unconvential set but this thing does surprisingly well defensively, especially with its high SpAtk stat being able to still dish out sleep talk hits while its asleep. The only thing you have to watch out for is knock off :weavile: as theres no removal on this team to deal with them, other than that you just switch it in to guys you wanna burn, and just rest talk hits and pivots. This thing has surprising bulk and takes most neutral hits like they're nothing, and its super unexpected especially against stall, with fiery dance boosts you can even pressure incredibly defensive teams like its nothing. The main threat to this set, like most is heatran :heatran: however being able to u-turn out on magma storms and keep momentum on this thing is super useful, also good to know that taunt variants still gets destroyed by suicune :suicune:. Overall this set is super fun and really hard for certain teams to break.

4. Clefable

:heavy-duty-boots:
Clefable @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Protect
- Moonblast

Main thing I incorporated this for was to wake up the two rest mons, the longevity of the team is super important so clef was a perfect fit for this team. I've used both PhysDef and SpDef Clef :clefable: sets and I wouldn't discredit either but this is the one i used to hit my peak. PhysDef is nice because it checks things like landorus-t :landorus-therian: allowing free wish passing and status curing, however with no designated special checks lele :tapu-lele: becomes a pain in the ass to deal with. Basically just get this in on opportune times against setup sweepers like dnite :dragonite: and chomp :garchomp: cure status, and heal up any low mons. Boots are a nice magic guard bluff as well so this thing can avoid toxic spam pretty easily, which is nice bc aromatherapy only has 8 PP which can be hard to manage in the stall matchup. Only huge threats are like non-choiced magnezone :magnezone:, but if volcs healthy its not a huge issue. Another good thing to note is running a pretty popular umbreon set :umbreon: helps with mons like lele :tapu-lele: and magnezone :magnezone:, but unaware :clefable: is extremely useful dealing with cm fini :tapu-fini: and cm clef :clefable:.

5. Rillaboom
:choice-band:

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- High Horsepower
- U-turn

Not a lot to say about boom :rillaboom: it deals with water type threats like fini :tapu-fni: and rotom :rotom-wash:, to the untrained eye rotom :rotom-wash: may appear as an issue being able to will o wisp :flame-orb: to halve damage, however wood hammer :rillaboom: still picks up super easy kos on water types while burnt, and clef :clefable: is always able to remove status with aromatherapy :aromatisse: sidenote that is the ugliest pokemon I've ever seen who at gamefreak made that. All in all rillaboom :rillaboom: does damage and overloads defensive checks without recovery like landorus :landorus-therian: and even 2HKO defensive zapdos :zapdos: (OHKO on roost) with wood hammer, sets up terrain for hawlucha :hawlucha: to sweep, and provides priority for the team.

6. Hawlucha
:grassy-seed:
Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Cool thing about hawlucha is that it can run a lot of bulk since unburden turns you into a formula one, Ferrari SF21 capable of eviscerating the likes of Kyle Busch and Lightning McQueen, this set isn't anything too special, enough hp so that a grassy glide from boom :rillaboom: and a u turn from landorus :landorus-therian: and scizor :scizor: cant break the sub, with enough speed to outrun every scarfer :choice-scarf: with base 125 or lower, as well as adamant +1 dragapult :dragapult: (default dragon dance set) after unburden. click sub on landorus-t :landorus-therian: switch ins so that you dont get hit by intimidate, and just chip down the usual checks like koko :tapu-koko: and zapdos :zapdos: to like 60% ur guaranteed a KO with cc at +2, super easy sweeper if you have half a brain.

Threats
I've gone over most of the threats to this team already but to summarize here are the main ones that can cause you some trouble:

I'm gonna run over this quick since I've gone through most of this above:

Literally just specs :choice-specs: lele :tapu-lele: anything else gets beat 1v1 by suicune :suicune: and rillaboom :suicune:, but with a lack of switch-ins to specs :choice-specs: psychic specs can be rough to deal with sometimes.

Bulky electric types are annoying to this team mainly rotom :rotom-wash: bc mamo :mamoswine: isn't a good hydro check, and cant hit rotom :rotom-wash: super effectively, only terribly annoying thing is volt turn cores with these guys, main thing to note is to not let your clef :clefable: or suicune :suicune: get tricked, but if you have half a brain to notice when they're running leftovers or not that shouldn't be incredibly hard.

Skarm isn't a threat but hazards can be, especially paired with fini :tapu-fini:. Fini :tapu-fini: finds itself extremly annoying to deal with when running taunt and CM variants, scarf :choice-scarf: defog is trash a lot less people run it atm but I just wanna say that set sucks and should never ever be a threat to your team. But fini often is only dealt with by rillaboom :rillaboom:, and CB mamo :mamoswine: earthquakes, so with excess pivoting on full spike stacks and rocks, with no removal that combo can be a huge problem. Best way to beat it is spamming eq with mamo :mamoswine:.
Replays
I figured I wanted to make an rmt this morning so while climbing I saved some stuff from my top 500 games, idk who really watches these but here they are for the nerds.

Flame Body Heatran Stall Noob Has A Mental Breakdown Versus Defensive Volcarona (personal fave): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1480765876-4nqja644thbljl29efzktbavgwjvunppw

Skilled Player Uses RU Pokemon To Absolutely Outwit Opponent: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1480762737-oj5gb0hdlruwqwwhr77wnuyfcc90hkmpw

Super Underwhelming FF where I hit the 1800s: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1480901206

Salty Noob Forfeits Over Sheer Suicune Skill: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1480748264

Lame sun matchup I played horribly here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1480745178-mlb7mjs77l10bcivqn2stbrw5xcq5gypw

Mamoswine puts in hella work vs. balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1480742583

Team Importable
With Nicknames: https://pokepast.es/8de2949d8110406b

Without Nicknames: https://pokepast.es/3f6ac7cbf7b5233f

Leave some comments or whatev im tryna get more into the smogon comm I got no friends who play mons

Attachments

Cool team. I like the originality of some of the sets.
However, the huge Tapu Lele hole needs to be addressed as It is one of the most spamnable mons right now. It can just click Psychic and profit.

For Volcarona, consider 20 Spe EVs to out-speed Adamant Bisharp and Timid Magnezone. Nice set otherwise.

cool team, i faced it while laddering. suicune put in a surprising amount of work. the one change i would make is Earthquake -> High Horsepower on :mamoswine: so that you can keep the power when Rillaboom's terrain is up against things like Toxapex. Other than that cool sets, fat volc is really strong

cool team, i faced it while laddering. suicune put in a surprising amount of work. the one change i would make is Earthquake -> High Horsepower on :mamoswine: so that you can keep the power when Rillaboom's terrain is up against things like Toxapex. Other than that cool sets, fat volc is really strong
I tested it out for a few games its 1. Not as strong and 2. Not as accurate therefore I am 3. Not a fan

Just beat this team on the ladder, I was confused by the sets and then someone told me it was an RMT. I happened to have made a really strong core that deals with it really well and won using things designed to beat most CM users and strong physical attackers.

The main weakness i identified was that the team has few answers to slowbro cores, and calm mind galar-slowking. My galar slowking with a cm set takes advantage of the inferior rest sub suicine set as you are able to get 2 free boosts while they are sleeping, and of course calm mind galar slowking is designed to beat unaware clef, special calm mind users, and things like blissey and umbreon thanks to its toxic immunity. Sludge bombs are free, as you can set up volcarona or suicune[1] if they go into it, or otherwise poison the rest of the team. Future sights are also very difficult to play around without umbreon. The main problem here is a lack of a special wall, slowking is not hard to beat and calm mind is very uncommon.

As for slowbro, mamoswine is usually just shy of a 2hko on slowbro with either eq or knock off, but the fact that you have grassy terrain means slowbro can easily tank earthquake or knock off, and of course the fact that it's an obvious choice band means I can pivot in and out of a knock off/earthquake resist. This combined with future sight and teleport makes it really easy to pivot around this team. But what makes it even easier to pivot is lack of rocks. I definitely would have lost if there were rocks on my side, since they pair so well with mamo taking off heavy boots and 2hkoing slowbro after rocks. You would think rillaboom would help with slowbro, but slowbro cores always have defensive dragonite, skarm, or defensive volcarona in the back for grass types.

Hawlucha is also something that didn't come out in my game at all, and I didn't even have a zapdos. It came out right at the end and died in one hit. Slowbro counters it pretty hard and imo your offensive core can't have 2 things that are hard countered by slowbro. Could replace this with a strong special attacker or a wall that more easily deals with threatening things.

To summarise:

- maybe change suicune set, even rest talk could be better than sub despite rest talk being an old set people don't use anymore.
- put rocks somewhere imo
- hawlucha doesn't do you many favours so consider replacing this with something like a special wall.

Basically i would put more attention into making your own defensive core airtight with the use of rocks or a better pokemon than hawlucha since you're relying on those things to beat bulkier offensive/semistall teams. Every other team member is essential though.

Slowking-Galar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA/ 120 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Future Sight / Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

[1] Suicune does beat my slowking 1v1 but it becomes very difficult because future sight can be used in conjunction with sludge bomb to break a sub and do damage past it on the same turn. At some point they have no choice but to rest which makes it really easy to take advantage of even if slowking doesn't beat it. Actually you can counter suicune outright by just using psyshock > future sight but that makes for weaker mindgames.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)