SPOILERS! Sun & Moon In-Game Discovery Thread

As far as I can tell, the Battle Buffet (which doesn't level up, fwiw...) is the only restaurant with battles attached to it.

The others are variously expensive ways to buy Heart Scales.

???

(I mean, I like buying Heart Scales! But where's my grinding shop?)

They actually battle in that one?

I went there, paid the $4k and got 4 Heart Scales out of it with no battles.
yeah i finally found it

one of the patrons says "the sushi here makes everyone feel like a highroller"
this is like a cruel joke on me, specifically

Easy way to get Pokemon you want in the GTS is offering Kadabra (you can find Abra early). Offered one for a female Popplio and now I have a Popplio while I'm still in the first island. Doesn't take a while to raise Abra either and the trade happens fast.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Sandstorm doesn't trigger Mimikyu's disguise. I imagine Hail won't either. Hitting yourself like a moron in confusion does though.

I thought that after capturing UB-05 the post-game story was over and Looker seeing that dark thing in the sky was just a foreshadowing for an event legendary.

But then I'm looking for a Rockruff to chain and lv.75 Necrozma appears out of nowhere, freaked me the Muk out. Had my False Swipe Decidueye in front, ready to chain mons, so I immediately trapped the guy with Spirit Shackle (almost killing it despite the Prism Armor Ability), because I thought it would escape like other roaming mons from the past. Still not sure if it would have, but I wasn't ready to try.

I guess it really doesn't count as an Ultra Beast though, since even with 1HP it broke out of my Beast Balls immediately. Used my Master Ball in the end, it's the last non-event legend of the game anyway.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is the new IV Judge PC App for those curious. You unlock it by hatching 20 eggs and talking to the man in the Battle Tree. You "activate" the app and can flip between Pokémon without having to activate it individually. It's super nice.

EDIT:

Do the starters get at least 1 stat with 31 IVs? I just started my journey and I soft resetted that starter about 5-6 times trying to find the female popplio but I noticed that they always had a characteristic that belongs to a stat being 31 (or 26,21 etc). All of the times they had Mischievous, alert to sounds, etc, etc. you get me. I don't know if I just had special luck to get 31's or just special luck to get those characteristics meaning a possible 31.

Do we know how males pass hidden abilities or pokeballs when breeding with a non-ditto female?
I don't know about HA but if you breed 2 pokemon of the same species then the offspring has 50-50 chance of being in the pokeball of either parent. Currently this is the only way males can pass down Pokeballs when breeding with a non-ditto.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Do the starters get at least 1 stat with 31 IVs? I just started my journey and I soft resetted that starter about 5-6 times trying to find the female popplio but I noticed that they always had a characteristic that belongs to a stat being 31 (or 26,21 etc). All of the times they had Mischievous, alert to sounds, etc, etc. you get me. I don't know if I just had special luck to get 31's or just special luck to get those characteristics meaning a possible 31.
False. My Popplio landed the characteristic "Very finicky" which is not indicative of a potential 31 IV stat.

Anyway Dusk Stone can be found in Poni Wilds west of the entrance in the water. I also found a Sun Stone which is found ironically in Po Town accessible by the western exit of the strange house (At least I think it was, idr).

There's also an ingame trade in the Tapu Village Pokémon Centre (iirc) where you trade a Haunter and get a Poliwhirl.

False. My Popplio landed the characteristic "Very finicky" which is not indicative of a potential 31 IV stat.

Anyway Dusk Stone can be found in Poni Wilds west of the entrance in the water. I also found a Sun Stone which is found ironically in Po Town accessible by the western exit of the strange house (At least I think it was, idr).

There's also an ingame trade in the Tapu Village Pokémon Centre (iirc) where you trade a Haunter and get a Poliwhirl.
False: In this trade which I've just discovered, they send you across an alolan graveller which evolves into golem (the golem also looks to have a perfect defence iv to me, but I'm not in the end game to full check this).

Someone does send the poiwhirl earlier in the game (although I have forgotten where and what for).

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
sheffieldsteelix must have mixed it up with another trade. Thanks for the catch.

---

Also while replacing a 10 PP move with a 20 PP move on my Alolan Exeggutor that the PP replenished to 20 instead of staying where it was. I forget when it was introduced but it's worthy to note that you can regenerate PP on moves by going back and forth on TM's again.

If you level up in midst of a battle but is subsequently knocked out, you may still evolve after the battle ends but either way this will not revive you.

A few interesting stuff I found out while playing the game :

- Beak blast can burn opponents while the user stays asleep
- Disguise completely blocks a Z-move (big fail from my part on the totem Mimikyu lol)
- Minior can learn attract despite being genderless like Cryogonal, completely irrelevant but fun :D

I decided to soft reset the game after Kukui teaches you how to capture Pokémon, and I've noticed something interesting. The first encounter you get into always occurs the same number of steps into the grass, and it has always been a Level 3 Pikipek with Keen Eye. Gender, IVs, and natures have varied. This happens even if I return to Hau'oli Outskirts before returning. I'm not sure what exactly this means yet, but I'm sure somebody with more time and data mining experience could work with this.

Last edited:
I decided to soft reset the game after Kukui teaches you how to capture Pokémon, and I've noticed something interesting. The first encounter you get into always occurs the same number of steps into the grass, and it has always been a Level 3 Pikipek with Keen Eye. Gender, IVs, and natures have varied. This happens even if I return to Hau'oli Outskirts before returning. I'm not sure what exactly this means yet, but I'm sure somebody with more time and data mining experience could work with this.
XY did the same thing. You will always encounter a Pidgey of the same level & I think ability on the second row of the first grass patch the first time you step into it.

oras did a similar thing with the dex nav, iirc you are 100% guaranteed to find a specific poochyena with a specific level, ability, move and such

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
XY did the same thing. You will always encounter a Pidgey of the same level & I think ability on the second row of the first grass patch the first time you step into it.

oras did a similar thing with the dex nav, iirc you are 100% guaranteed to find a specific poochyena with a specific level, ability, move and such
Additionally, ORAS also guaranteed that your first encounter on that route was a Wurmple after taking three steps into the grass. Can the mons break out of the ball in Alola Route 1 or is it continuing the trend in Gen VI as usual where the mons encountered on the first route couldn't break out?

EDIT: Forgot to ask, but since Males can pass on their ball design via Ditto now is the same true of Genderless mons like Metagross?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
You can pass down the Beast Ball with breeding! (I tested this at the same time as Genderless Pokemon Passing Down Balls.)
Also, they weren't kidding when they said Beast Balls were less effective against normal Pokemon. It took 11 for me to catch a 1 HP Magnemite.
An Ultra Beast with a catch rate of 255 broke out of a First Turn Quick Ball. That's supposed to be impossible. Ether Quick Balls were Nerfed or Normal Balls are less effective than usual against Ultra Beasts. It seems like the later is more likely. It only took about 10 Luxury Balls to catch the Catch Rate 30 UB, so I'm guessing that Normal Balls may all have a x1 modifier against UBs.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Are Beast balls purchaseable?
No, but you get 10 before each mission to catch a UBs. (50 Total) Until you've caught them all, you can talk to Looker when you run out to get One More. You can give that one to a Pokemon to make Looker think you've ran out again and give you another. It's an annoying way to restock them and they suck against Normal Pokemon, so save before using them and consider soft resting if you use too many.

Haven't tested yet, but by the number of "lucky people" reporting this (including me and a friend) I think it can be confirmed:

The first wild Salandit you find in Wela Volcano Park is ALWAYS female.

Haven't tested yet, but by the number of "lucky people" reporting this (including me and a friend) I think it can be confirmed:

The first wild Salandit you find in Wela Volcano Park is ALWAYS female.
My first was male.
I remember because I spent quite a bit of time searching for a female.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)