Sun/Moon Random Doubles Battle Sets

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
OP stolen from duck

Random Doubles needs some fixing up, so let's get to it!

This is the Doubles Random Battle thread. For singles, click here.

What is OK to post?
Screenshots of bad movesets/items/abilities or an accurate description of the set.
Suggestion about adding new moves/items to the sets but supported by a good argumentation.

What is NOT OK to post?
One-liner suggestions.
Screenshot of movesets that are not actually bad.
Posts complaining about unfairness and hax about teams.
Anything that is illegal on the pokemon.

KEEP IN MIND THAT
Every pokemon has 84 EVs in every stat, so consider this before telling us that a set is bad.
We may not accept your suggestion.
It's randbats, something should be random. We are not looking for one single viable set. If you wanna play that way, play Battle Factory.
In randbats unreleased abilities are legit and so are allowed some illegal egg moves combo.
Remember that this is for Doubles, not Singles, so if a moveset seems awful at first glance, think of its utility in this environment first.

You can find all the Pokemon info on https://dex.pokemonshowdown.com/
You can find current move sets at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/master/data/formats-data.js

Last edited by a moderator:

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Apologies for the double post, but this meta needs some work.

No Diamond Storm? Absolutely unacceptable.

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Apologies for the double post, but this meta needs some work.

No Diamond Storm? Absolutely unacceptable.
I dont know the exact logic behind whoever didnt include it but that could have possibly been a nerf to Diancie by not including Diamond Storm. Whenever I get Diancie in random formats it tends to just steamroll over the opponent nearly every time because of Diamond Storm

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got Hustle Togekiss with Dazzling Gleam, Tailwind, Thunder Wave, and Roost. Tailwind + Twave feels redundantly furthering speed control, and even if Serene Grace isn't needed it should probably have Super Luck.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
Had multiple Pokemon with Guard Split. Can this move please be removed from the available pool of all Pokemon?

It's too late for me to take a screenshot now, however I got a necrozma set that was all but completely useless.
It's set was trick room, moonlight, autonomize, and iron defense. Not quite ideal if you ask me.

I know everry mon has 84 ev for all its stats. But Is the Level adjustable? Because: I have noticed that a lot of belly drum sitrus users have an uneven hp stat, which i guess is okay if you notice it early enough, but sucks when you play as if your mon would have 75 % at the end of the turn.
The mon that brought me here was a sitrus, belly drum, unburden slurpuff. I don't have a screenshot ready since i just signed up.

Edit: I had a linoone with that issue

Attachments

Last edited:
It seems that Necrozma's double battles set hasn't been addressed yet. "iron defense, automatize, trick room, and moonlight" is useless, what's the point of a +2 speed if I'm setting trick room, and by this point everyone knows its set up fodder and its a waste to attack it and they focus on the other pokemon. I've had it a least once every day that i've played for the last two weeks, and it seems this has been an issue since Jan.

Just got a Wigglytuff with Competitive but no attacking moves (Reflect/Light Screen/Protect/Thunder Wave with Light Clay).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randomdoublesbattle-665364320

I would like to suggest a nerf for Jynx/Lovely Kiss.
The combination of her high speed, the lack of a sleep clause and her access to Lovely Kiss pushes it over the edge in my opinion and gives the player with Jynx an extreme advantage over his opponent - too extreme for a randomized meta and a much bigger advantage than having an uber in the team.

Games like the one shown in the linked replay are simply not fun for both players. I could immobilize the opponent's whole team with Lovely Kiss, allowing me to freely spam Hyper Voice with Sylveon until all his mons fainted.

The main differences from Spore abusers, namely Amoonguss, are the lack of immunities and her high speed, so that she can put foes to sleep before they get a chance to attack her. Also, she can dish out good damage due to her high SpA and useable coverage, unlike the extremely passive Amoonguss.

I don't know which would be the best solution - lowering Jynx's level, removing Lovely Kiss, adding a sleep clause or something different - but something has to be done.

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen7randomdoublesbattle-699190026
Edit: apparently replay is dead and I can't attach any file. Anyway moveset is down.

So, here I am to complain about random doubles Lugia: Tailwind, Protect, Substitute and Roost. I guess the main objective here is to survive using Sub+Pro+Roo, i don't want to be doing that until the foe runs out of movements (which is at least 24 turns). Can this guy at least get a statusing attack like toxic?

Sorry for the crappy crop, it got knocked out before someone directed me to this page. This clefable has been popping up all over random doubles for me and the item really needs to be switched. It makes no sense, should be light clay or something.

Attachments

Also included are: An Aegislash with Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw and Iron Head (No King Shield), a Xurkitree with no electric-type moves, a Mega Pidgeot with Heat Wave, U-Turn, Substitute and Protect (No Hurricane), a Tyrantrum with Rock Head and no Recoil moves, a Cresselia with Reflect, Light Screen, Ice Beam and Icy Wind (2 Ice moves and no Psychic moves) and a Torkoal with no Fire Moves (Solar Beam, Earth Power, Substitute and Protect). Item wise, they only ever seem to be a Sitrus Berry, Leftovers, a Mega Stone and rarely a Choice Item or Life Orb. No Assault Vest, No Z-Crystals, No Focus Sash, No Rocky Helmet or No Weakness Policy etc. Some of the items also don't make sense on the Pokemon given (e.g. Leftovers Attack Deoxys). Or they would be made mainly for a specific item (Kommo-o without Kommonium Z or Gliscor without a Toxic Orb). Just wondering if the sets could be made using actual sets rather than selecting from a pool of usable moves randomly.

Just some suggestions

Just wondering if the sets could be made using actual sets rather than selecting from a pool of usable moves randomly.
Sets are made to be at least semi-viable; they aren't completely random. However, there's clearly logic errors in play causing the sets that you mentioned. Will investigate.

Item wise, they only ever seem to be a Sitrus Berry, Leftovers, a Mega Stone and rarely a Choice Item or Life Orb. No Assault Vest, No Z-Crystals, No Focus Sash, No Rocky Helmet or No Weakness Policy etc. Some of the items also don't make sense on the Pokemon given (e.g. Leftovers Attack Deoxys). Or they would be made mainly for a specific item (Kommo-o without Kommonium Z or Gliscor without a Toxic Orb).
There seems to be some item choices that were implemented in Random Singles that are not present in Random Doubles. I'll see if I can unify the logic to keep Doubles up to date with Singles.

I ran into something odd in a battle just now, that one of the mods thought was a bug and to post here. They also said someone else reported it before.

Replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randomdoublesbattle-737162236

Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of the actual moveset, but all Blaziken had was Struggle, and the option to mega evolve. You can see from the replay what happened.

View attachment 112353
Fixed on next hotpatch. It was a corner case that fell through when we were moving the doubles code around

Curious, but is there a reason equal EVs and illegal egg moves are in random?

More to the point, here to report a few bad sets:
- A lycanroc whose only attack was rock throw. 50 damage 90 accuracy. Rock tomb or rock throw would’ve been higher damage for same accuracy or stone edge much higher damage for only slightly worse accuracy. Unfortunately I didn’t save this battle, it was a few weeks ago.
- An intimidate luxray holding a flame orb. It knew facade but not trick. Also knew a few other attack moves (crunch and some electric something). Burning itself immediately removed the benefit of activating facade AND instantly crippled the rest of its move pool. I think I saved this one (it happened within the week), but I’m on mobile so I’ll have to look later.

Curious, but is there a reason equal EVs and illegal egg moves are in random?

More to the point, here to report a few bad sets:
- A lycanroc whose only attack was rock throw. 50 damage 90 accuracy. Rock tomb or rock throw would’ve been higher damage for same accuracy or stone edge much higher damage for only slightly worse accuracy. Unfortunately I didn’t save this battle, it was a few weeks ago.
- An intimidate luxray holding a flame orb. It knew facade but not trick. Also knew a few other attack moves (crunch and some electric something). Burning itself immediately removed the benefit of activating facade AND instantly crippled the rest of its move pool. I think I saved this one (it happened within the week), but I’m on mobile so I’ll have to look later.
Illegal egg moves lets us skip extensive verification. Rock throw is definitely a mistake but the root cause should've been fixed already, when was this? The flame orb issue is definitely new though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)