Sticky Sun/Moon Sprite Project

May I suggest trying to make the top of its head more visible? It's a pretty distinctive trait, after all, though I realize the weird angle doesn't help.

leParagon

I'm still around, don't worry
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
May I suggest trying to make the top of its head more visible? It's a pretty distinctive trait, after all, though I realize the weird angle doesn't help.
gotcha, will work on it tomorrow. but what if we add that as a frame for future animation? instead of just replacing this sprite's head all together

aXl good luck with college, dude! it can be tough sometimes, but it's super fun and you get to meet a lot of new people! :D also, great work on the backsprite. I fav'd it on DA. I think the gold tail does extend to the back. plus ive seen someone else put the gold at the back of their sprite too, so thats a good sign

Last edited:
Edited as per leparagon's suggestions. :)

Also, I'd like to reserve Formantis if still available.

- - -

looking much better now! :D i just noticed, maybe you could use the shade of white for Solgaleo's body as one pixel of highlight on the black oval on its tail :)
also, is the backsprite done? cuz tbh i think the details on the backsprite could use a bit of work (mostly the legs)
Yeah, back sprite was just a hastily done resize of the old one. I'll get back to it if better references would surface. I agree that the legs look "bare" right now. Actually, I'll see what I can do with the musculature and such.

Last edited:

leParagon

Edited as per leparagon's suggestions. :)

Also, I'd like to reserve Formantis if still available.
looking much better now! :D i just noticed, maybe you could use the shade of white for Solgaleo's body as one pixel of highlight on the black oval on its tail :)
also, is the backsprite done? cuz tbh i think the details on the backsprite could use a bit of work (mostly the legs)

Lurantis looks great man :D

also i hope you guys don't mind, but i sprited Stufful for deviantart. could still use some work i think, so i'mma upload it here in case you guys wanna use it. also if you guys could help me find some stuff i didn't notice, that'd be awesome too
stufful.png
i think i positioned the raised arm weirdly on the top right backsprite. anything else?
still gonna fix Turtonator real soon

Last edited:

Lurantis looks great man :D

also i hope you guys don't mind, but i sprited Stufful for deviantart. could still use some work i think, so i'mma upload it here in case you guys wanna use it. also if you guys could help me find some stuff i didn't notice, that'd be awesome too
View attachment 67693i think i positioned the raised arm weirdly on the top right backsprite. anything else?
still gonna fix Turtonator real soon
The outline of the snout and the shading at the ends of the mouth make it look as if it has laugh lines. The white snout could do without any dark outlines, including the pink one on top of the nose. Looking at the artwork and the models, I think the head could be a pixel longer and the mouth could have a narrower curve to it. A great sprite overall, nonetheless! The pose at the first row looks better, imo.

I did some QC on Alolan Raichu

OLD

NEW
View attachment 67717

I drastically reduced the length of the tail on the back sprite. The in-game model has it very long, but they have more freedom to exaggerate things in 3D. Other fixes included adjusting the palette, rounding out the back markings based on this reference, and making Raichu's eyes less bright and more readable. Let me know if any of the edits are disagreeable or if there are more changes to be made. There are 13 colours including transparency, leaving three spare slots in case the shiny turns out to be awful.

leparagon Marowak and Meowth look fantastic, just putting that out there.

I feel like Bewear would be good if it were around 50 x 67, which is slightly smaller than the old sprite but bigger than the resize.

Stufful looks great. My vote is for the bottom set of sprites, as the top set's more dynamic pose might make it look weird when animated, but I'm not sure on that one. However, I agree with Wobble about the muzzle area, and if we go with the bottom set, try separating the two forelegs so that there's a pixel of space between them.

I actually like Turtonator's front sprite, but I feel that the back sprite needs some work. Specifically, the outer and inner points of its shell seem misaligned and not spiky enough.

Lunala and Lurantis look awesome, and I'm hyped for Wobble's Fomantis. I'm going to reserve Sandygast tentatively, but I may drop the reservation later if I lose interest or lack the time

Last edited:
Update on Alolan Ninetale's sprite:

I've tried taking the suggestions that everyone has left and reworked some of A. Ninetales' pallet. I feel that the changes I've done may have helped the contrast between the black outline and the rest of the shading, though I'm unsure of how else I could alleviate it further. I've polished up the tail and changed the colors to more accurately reflect the deeper blue tones in Ninetales tails. The back sprite, as of right now, is still a W.I.P., but I'm trying to find a better way to portray the arrangement of the tails from a back view without crowding the sprite too much. Do you guys think the back is better than the previous version?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just a quick comment on the back sprite. Its a good start. You didnt get around to the shading just yet so it too a bit to see how the tails overlapped each other. Think there should be connection of the tails though probably at least up to where the tails start to curve horizontally. You could experiment more on how the tails curve. Some ideas might be to aim the tails or the base of the tails more towards the "veiwer" or have the tails arch up then down like a wave. That right back leg is also still pretty awkward. It probably should be in front of the left back leg to match the front sprite and make the body look better. You may have to re-adjust the tails by doing this but it should make a big difference.

leParagon

I did some QC on Alolan Raichu

OLD

NEW
View attachment 67717

I drastically reduced the length of the tail on the back sprite. The in-game model has it very long, but they have more freedom to exaggerate things in 3D. Other fixes included adjusting the palette, rounding out the back markings based on this reference, and making Raichu's eyes less bright and more readable. Let me know if any of the edits are disagreeable or if there are more changes to be made. There are 13 colours including transparency, leaving three spare slots in case the shiny turns out to be awful.

leparagon Marowak and Meowth look fantastic, just putting that out there.

I feel like Bewear would be good if it were around 50 x 67, which is slightly smaller than the old sprite but bigger than the resize.

Stufful looks great. My vote is for the bottom set of sprites, as the top set's more dynamic pose might make it look weird when animated, but I'm not sure on that one. However, I agree with Wobble about the muzzle area, and if we go with the bottom set, try separating the two forelegs so that there's a pixel of space between them.

I actually like Turtonator's front sprite, but I feel that the back sprite needs some work. Specifically, the outer and inner points of its shell seem misaligned and not spiky enough.

Lunala and Lurantis look awesome, and I'm hyped for Wobble's Fomantis. I'm going to reserve Sandygast tentatively, but I may drop the reservation later if I lose interest or lack the time
thanks for the feedback pom! my bad on the tail length (i reduced it but not that much when i sprited it xD) and thanks for color correction especially the eyes, and the white patches on the back (man i shoulda noticed that). only qualms for me are the shade under his knees. i put them there cuz regular Raichu sprites have shade on his knees too, and i thought it seemed to work. but that's not really important for me. it looks fine without them too :) other concern is the white to orange transition. i noticed you removed the antialiasing, but it kinda makes the white transition a bit sharply to the orange imo. what about if it were like this instead:

alola raichu.png
okay with you? just super slight
as for Turtonator, i slightly curved the spikes on purpose because i totally forgot Turtonator had them pointed xD will fix that too

The Cynical Poet just a quick note on the front sprite. you used black outlines on some parts that didn't need it. it ends up looking like there's a little bit too much black in my opinion. also, the hindleg, i notice you put a line to show where the knee bends, but it's placed awkwardly. maybe just put a two pixel horizontal line. and really small thing here, but the legs have two shades (more notable on the hindleg, used for slight antialiasing on front legs). the colors are so similar that it legit seems like there's only one color. i mean like, i don't think you needed that extra shade on the legs

Wobblebuns Formantis looks great so far bro. but the top of his head doesn't need a black outline. also, the green you used for the neck part could be a bit darker. and maybe a black outline where the leaf falls on his face.
and quick question, do you always use pure black? with 0 value and saturation and stuff?

also i just remembered something about the Marowak sprite: it's supposed to have a white patch thing near its tail. not sure if it has any other patches, since the trailers don't really show it. but here's a small update:
alolan marowak.png

Last edited:
sandygast.png

Sandygast. I have no idea what the mouth is supposed to look like from behind... I realized after starting that even the reveal trailer doesn't show the back view. So until we have better references, this is my best guess, which I got by reversing the front sprite and erasing the eyes because laziness

Also, I'm in the middle of some minor QC on Fomantis and Lurantis

EDIT: updated back sprite
EDIT2: updated back sprite again based on Japanese trailer

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
View attachment 67889

Sandygast. I have no idea what the mouth is supposed to look like from behind... I realized after starting that even the reveal trailer doesn't show the back view. So until we have better references, this is my best guess, which I got by reversing the front sprite and erasing the eyes because laziness

You should make the shovel look like it's in its head rather than it looking like it just got glued into the back of its head for the backsprite.

View attachment 67889

Wow, they're reeeally committed with the Hawaiian theme, huh? Anyways, just spotted an error with the backsprite (but I think you may have noticed it by now). The little hole should be the one we're seeing, leaving I think only an empty space to be seen of the mouth. Other than that, there's not much to say but a sprite well done!

And yes, I do use 0 value black for the darkest outline. Are there implications by doing so? D:

leParagon

princessofmusic yeah i noticed what Wobblebuns was talking about. in the front sprite, the mouth is the big hole and the small hole is at its back. so like the backsprite should be showing the small hole instead. but yeah, i understand the laziness feeling xD
i made a Morelull sprite and i just flipped it and erased the eyes. waiting for someone to call dibs on it, cuz i'm not feeling too hot about mine. if no one calls dibs, i'll just upload it for QC

Wobblebuns nothing wrong, really. but i'm sure there's a good number of people who like to sprite on paint (like me), and when we copy a sprite onto it, transparency translates to pure black as well xD so it's hard to remove the black bg without removing the outlines too xD it's honestly not that big of a problem. i just prefer copy pasting instead of saving the file directly xD

Pumone i don't really like Pikafan's dex xD most of the sprites are borrowed from other spriters anyway (some of them are working on this thread anyway), and the remaining sprites are made by Pikafan in a pose he likes. usually those poses don't fit BW style too much and they're not animation-friendly. plus he likes to use colors that have low saturation (again, not really good for BW style) so yeah :((

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since school is starting for some people I figured a little check-in would be nice

HeaLnDeaL how goes a muddy horse

Sunfished and Espeon Scientist you guys can always reserve something else now : )

Applications are still open for anyone still interested in lending a hand (I have no reason to close them). So send some stuff in if you want to be up for the challenge

Also was surprised to see pom finish up and post that Sandygast, although she did get help with a real life model

Edited Sandygast's back sprite above.

And yes, I do use 0 value black for the darkest outline. Are there implications by doing so? D:
Around half of the official BW sprites use #101010 for the black outline; the other half uses #000000. I always use #101010 for the reasons that leparagon stated and because I feel like it looks nicer aesthetically. Also, Fomantis is too cute for words

Anyway, here are the orchid mantises

753.png
753b.png
753s.png
753sb.png

754.png
754b.png
754s.png
754sb.png

I made the palettes a bit more saturated and tidied up the line work. Lurantis was quite tricky to edit because of how detailed it is. I'm uncertain about the back sprite, but from the looks of the reveal trailer, its arm connects to the white "edge" of its claw. lmk if there are other things I should fix

i made a Morelull sprite and i just flipped it and erased the eyes. waiting for someone to call dibs on it, cuz i'm not feeling too hot about mine. if no one calls dibs, i'll just upload it for QC
I, too, made a Morelull front sprite shortly after its reveal but never posted it because I wasn't happy with it rofl. What a small world u__u; I'd be curious to see your version of it!

I can't stop

OLD

NEW
togedemaru.png

Espeon Scientist's Togedemaru was a good start, but Layell pointed out some things that he felt could use improvement, such as the broken outlines of the eyes. I also reduced the colour count, reconfigured the tortilla chip pattern on the back after referencing the Japanese trailer, and made it a bit smaller and rounder.

Similar to most everyone else, I'm starting university again in two weeks... this is supposed to be my final year (!!) but I think I'll study part-time and take an extra year instead to help reduce anxiety and pressure. In theory, this might give me more free time, but it's probably safer to assume my activity will drop off somewhat. I'll stick around for QC leading up to release and to reserve any cutemons that get revealed. I like Oricorio Pom-Pom (because of the name lol) and have some interest in collaborating with someone else on the other variations, as spriting them all alone would be a colossal task.

Last edited:
Since school is starting for some people I figured a little check-in would be nice

HeaLnDeaL how goes a muddy horse

Sunfished and Espeon Scientist you guys can always reserve something else now : )

Applications are still open for anyone still interested in lending a hand (I have no reason to close them). So send some stuff in if you want to be up for the challenge

Also was surprised to see pom finish up and post that Sandygast, although she did get help with a real life model
I could do Comfey or Charjabug! (Probably Comfey though because I like flowers.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)