Sun & Moon UU Speculation and Discussion Thread - Updated with UU Alpha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
while we're talking about weather, i've been seeing a decent number of ninetales at the moment. although not a lot of teams have been utilizing it well, it seems like it has a lot of potential given how hyper offensive this meta is. with shit like lucha, mence, dragonite, azu, dub dance terrak etc running around, aurora veil support makes it a hell of a lot easier for them to sweep (not that its /that/ difficult for them to set up regardless, mind you). ice / fairy stab is great offensively as well, although jirachi is extremely easy to slap on teams and even blizzards coming off a base 81 spa isnt going to have anything trembling in fear if its hit neutrally. my biggest gripe with it however is that 109 is a p unfortunate speed tier since youre outsped by stuff like latias and thundy, although its by no means bad...

gigalith is tanky as fuck and its overall a nice addition to the metagame, although its unfortunate that its movepool is nonexistent (gets a fuck ton of steel moves but not metal bust :[ ) and that it doesnt have any recovery, unlike hippo, although i guess it is a decent check to weavile / cb tini / maero and some other stuff i cant think of off the top of my head

havent messed with rain but i think it has some potential atm - sucks that megapert isnt legal but i think the classics abusers have been fairly sufficient on their own anyway, and life orb torn-t seems pretty hard to punish for teams lacking mega aerodactyl and co. i guess its not as popular rn since char-y is so common and people are using sand more since its less foreign to whats been in uu in the past, if that makes sense.

What do you guys think will be quick banned? What do you guys think will be suspected and then banned? What do you guys think will be suspected but ultimately stay UU? What about mons currently in UU Alpha that will go to OU by usage once ppl realize how good it is? I think it's interesting to look back at how XY UU was and to look how it progressed to ORAS UU. I am hoping for a really changed meta with a higher power creep, could be fun!
can't really think of everything right now, but as far as quickbans go dnite / azu / volca / lucha / terrak / kyu-b / thundy-i / char-y are all on my list, maybe there's something really obvious i've forgotten. it's way too early to tell what will be suspected and such but looking down the line id like for stuff like weav to go, but the meta hasn't been out for long at all and sooner or later stuff that was banned in oras like thundy-t, mence, zam, and serp will prob be looked at. like br said i think keldeo will prob go ou, latias and maybe torn-t might stay for now though...we'll see how it goes. the shiny toy syndrome will wear off eventually in ou and we'll probably get stuff like alola marowak and mantine.

again though this is just speculation, the "metagame" is way too crazy rn

can't really think of everything right now, but as far as quickbans go dnite / azu / volca / lucha / terrak / kyu-b / thundy-i / char-y are all on my list, maybe there's something really obvious i've forgotten. it's way too early to tell what will be suspected and such but looking down the line id like for stuff like weav to go, but the meta hasn't been out for long at all and sooner or later stuff that was banned in oras like thundy-t, mence, zam, and serp will prob be looked at. like br said i think keldeo will prob go ou, latias and maybe torn-t might stay for now though...we'll see how it goes. the shiny toy syndrome will wear off eventually in ou and we'll probably get stuff like alola marowak and mantine.

again though this is just speculation, the "metagame" is way too crazy rn
Gonna have to agree. I think stuff like Keldeo and Torn will be manageable in UU, but might go up due to usage. Things like Thundy-T, Mence, Zam, even things like Victini and Raptor might be looked at and deemed not too broken for the tier. The only problem I am seeing right now is that everything is just so offensive. There are no really great "walls" or bulky pokemon that are outstanding. The bulkiest new mons to UU are like Togekiss which isn't that great, so might end up staying. Because of this, I feel like the tier will go back to what it was like in ORAS UU which would be a shame. Hoping we get things like Hippo and Mandibuzz to /kind/ of make balance viable again. Things in the past like Suicine and Hydregion I don't even see, so hard to see all these hard hitters staying if there is nothing new to sponge up these hits.

Kommo-o is actually pretty damn good.

Here's a pretty effective Kommo-o set I've been using. The z fighting move is used to bust through their steel type which allows Kommo-o to click outrage and kill things at +2. It sets up so easily thanks to its great natural bulk and bulletproof, and I feel is a feasible alternative to Dragonite due to the increased defensive and offensive utility it brings to a team (not rocks weak, better dual STAB; not as one-dimensional as Dragonite). I've been using this in a team utilizing this Kommo-o set in addition to Mega Charizard-Y plus a Weavile for team support. Weavile serves to pursuit trap checks to Latias, Mew, Slowbro and Jirachi for Charizard and Kommo-o, removing each of their common defensive checks and allowing them to respectively wallbreak and sweep easier.
Kommo-o @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Sky Uppercut
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

Try him out on your team! You won't be disappointed!

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi there, OU player here! Given that the current OU meta is completely unplayable due to a couple of bugs, and since this UU beta is closer to ORAS OU than current SuMo OU, I've decided to venture in this tier for the first time ever using a slightly adjusted ORAS OU team and man, am I having a lot of fun. I know it's not going to last long, but more of these threats are here to stay than you'd think, at least until they get banned (can't really see Dragonite or Thundurus making OU when Zygarde and Tapu Koko kinda outclass them respectively). Anyway, here are some observations about some of the pokemon I've used and faced:

- YZard is completely and utterly insane and I'd probably call it the best mon in the tier right now. Its Fire STAB deals a ton of damage to even resists, and anything that lives it gets ruined by Pursuit or is just plain bad (hi Guzzlord). It's mindless and ridiculous and will probably move up by usage anyway, but even if it doesnt, it's not long for this tier, so enjoy it whicle you still can. Originally I ran EQ on it but I recently switched to Dragon Pulse because I realised I literally never used it, and because of how much Dragonite and Kommo-O were annoying me, and I never regretted it. Really don't know what Focus Blast is for (besides I guess Gigalith?), I've certainly never needed it or wished I had it. Though ironically, YZard is one of the best YZard swicthins avalible, so there's probably some merit to Ancientpower. You do need Roost though imo, being able to consistently check Scizor/Jirachi is a big part of what makes YZard so good.

- Speaking of YZard, Weavile is also (unsurprisingly) amazing, not only murdering every single YZard check but also pretty much the entire tier. The only things really hlding it back are Scizor, Keldeo, and Azumarill, but Scizor doesn't take Knock Off very well and is huge YZard bait, Keldeo isn't a particularly good Weavile answer as anyone who's played ORAS OU knows (flinches anyone?), and while Azumarill is a very good check and a very threatning mon in general, there are adequate answers to it such as Tangrowth and fast water resists so it's not a masive problem for Weavile.

- Scizor's pretty great too, even though it suffers a lot from YZard it's still avery potent bulky attacker. I've mainly seen bulky Lefties sets which seems like a massive waste, for me, offensive sets are where it's at. Life Orb SD with enough speed for Suicune hits astonishingly hard and catches a lot of people off guard too. Only real problem is that it hates getting worn down by LO and has a but of a hard time setting up, however, its typing really helps a ton and the extra LO damage is way too good to pass up. I'm thinking Band might actually be better, but I still like the ability to switch moves and nail Steel resists with Superpower. The fact that it KOs Yzard after rocks at +2 is pretty amazing as well.

- Breloom is crazy good and i'm surprised more people aren't using it. It's really threaning offensively, and Spore is extremely spammable, and anything that can switch into it is massive YZard bait. It's checked by stuff like DNite, Latias, Torn-T, and, of course, YZard, but Rock Tomb lets you play around them, and the speed drop makes it actually pretty safe to use in general if you know it's going to cause a switch. It's also got some really useful resists to Ground, Water, Rock and Dark so it provides a fair amount defensively as well as offensively. Given UU's reputation for bulky waters, Breloom is a fantastic mon on offense from my experience, and Mach Punch cleans extremely well in a tier with fewer Fighting resists than OU.

- Starmie... is not that great. Maybe it's becuase Weavile is everywhere, but the offensive set isn't as effective as I expected. Since Venusaur, Rotom and Ferrothorn are out of the picture, it no longer has any real need to run Psychic or HP Fire and thus can easily run Hydro Pump+BoltBeam+Rapid Spin, which on paper makes it a deadly force, but in practice, it just doesn't get many opportunities to come in, and YZard's Sun being so prevalent is a problem for it (admittedly, using the two on the same team is probably a mistake on my part). I have, however, faced the bulky spinnerset, which seems very effective, or it would've if it wasn't smashed by my Weavile every time I did.

- Dragonite is kinda ridiculous to deal with. Priority in general is extremely potent in this alpha (possibly more so than in ORAS where you have to worry about Tapu Lele), so obviously, the Pokemon with the strongest and best priority is going to be hard to beat.

- Speaking of which, Zygarde 10% is apparently legal? I've never seen it at all, but on paper, it seems insane to deal with, with Grass-types being YZard fodder and ESpeed being ESpeed. Someone get on that

- Jirachi's annoying as always, but I haven't really had much trouble dealing with it because lol YZard. I will say that Healing Wish is fantastic team support and it checks a lot of very big threats, so it's a great supporter for sure.

- Raikou is pretty damn good, it handles a bunch of top threats like YZard, Scizor and Jirachi decently, from what i've seen, Ground-types aren't too common in this beta, so it can have fun Volt Switching around.

- Golisopod is suprisingly good? This may just be the team I'm using, but it'd given me some trouble with its dual priority and pretty good power. Its defensive typing and physical bulk also pretty solid, it completely cokcblocks Scizor for instance.

If you're curious, this is the team I'm using:
Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Ironically, it struggles a lot vs Weavile (Low Kick on Weavile is an option for this) and also has a trouble vs Sash Mamoswine, but other than that it's been working very well. Originally I had Terrakion over Aero, but I realised I had problems vs Torn-T and Flying-types in general, that being said I haven't seen a lot of Torn-Ts for some reason, so Terrakion is still a really good option nonetheless.

btw I'm still seeing MGyaras, plz fix

Last edited:
So uh, how are you guys dealing with Dragonite on offensive teams? Between Multiscale and Extreme Speed and Z-fly and all the coverage it can potentially run, it feels like it's so easy for the opponent to run down whatever subpar checks you have and just sweep lategame. I've been kind of at a loss.
Scarfers, Priority users like CB Scizor, not letting it set up easily. It's not hard at all.

Have a couple of pretty fun double weather teams here, not exactly great, but it's still fun and works surprisingly well too (not as good as some teams that are posted here tho). Double weather might sounded bad at the first glance, but resetting weather turns with dual weather setters and having 2 weather abusers is pretty cool, plus those weather setters are a pretty good mon in itself, capable of pulling a few tricks up their sleeves (haven't tried torkoal tho), plus healing wish support from latias is always nice.

Gigalith @ Chople Berry / Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Lycanroc @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Accelerock
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Thunder Fang

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Low Kick / Pursuit
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Encore
- Rest
- Hypnosis

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Blizzard

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Latias @ Soul Dew
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For some more teams, here's the SashSpam team I've been running a lot:

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Pretty simple, focuses a lot on Breloom as a great anti-lead against a lot of 'mons. Latias clears hazards and Healing Wishes to bring something back in safely. Jolly BD Azu is a beast as always, with Knock over Waterfall to give you a better matchup versus things like Slowbro and Amoongus. Volcarona gives you another wincon and a strong Rachi/Scizor switchin. Passho + Roost means you can actually set up on a lot of bulky Waters, and keeps offensive Water types from revenging you. Scarf Rachi is gluemon that ties everything together.

speaking of azumarill, I'm not sure if this is a question that should be directed at OU, but do you think bans may be implemented in the future of z crystals on certain mons to preserve the mon but ban a particular set? for now I'm thinking about z-belly drum but idk about other possibilities? I'm curious. also if so would all tiers have to follow the same policy or would it become a case by case policy type thing?

speaking of azumarill, I'm not sure if this is a question that should be directed at OU, but do you think bans may be implemented in the future of z crystals on certain mons to preserve the mon but ban a particular set? for now I'm thinking about z-belly drum but idk about other possibilities? I'm curious. also if so would all tiers have to follow the same policy or would it become a case by case policy type thing?
if/when z-moves get banned i thin itll be the move as a whole? like no z-bellydrum or no belly drum + normal-z. its gunna be really hard to really stay away from complex bans with z-moves i think and thats a shame. im gunna go out on a limb and say its gunna be similar to the d-punch issue that PU had where because its "not broken in other teirs" or "not broken on other mons" its just gunna force alot of bans to BL's

This was discussed in a policy review thread, and the prevailing consensus there seems to be that Z-moves are just part of the game now and it's just something that pokemon can do. If a specific Z-move makes a pokemon broken, then that pokemon gets banned.

It's way too early to start talking about collateral damage, too. We don't know how well or poorly the metagame will adapt to Z-moves, and many of these "banworthy" z-move sets will just rise to a tier that can handle them. At this stage a grand total of one pokemon has been banned Smogon-wide over its Z-move options (Porygon in LC), and the other most notable Z-move abuser (Porygon-Z) is comfortably sitting in OU where there are tools to handle it. Now this doesn't mean that concerns are misplaced, but at this point it's premature to suggest policy changes are necessary. Let the meta play out, and if a serious problem with an over-abundance of broken Z-move sets does emerge I'm certain that there will be further discussion in the context of a more stable and better understood metagame.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It hasn't been getting a lot of hype, but Scolipede is utterly fucking ridiculous as always. LO 3 attacks + BP revenge kills half the tier and passes off the Speed to nasty threats like KyuB and Zard-Y. I've also been playing with its hazard stack set, which isn't broken but is still really great at getting Spikes/T-Spikes down for something like Shark to sweep later.

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide
- Baton Pass

Also as far as seriously underrated things go, I urge everyone to give double dance Cobalion a shot with Fightinium-Z. At +2, its Z-Move powers through so much, and it has the bulk and typing to reliably get multiple boosts off in a game. Definitely worth trying out for those who haven't played with it yet.

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Rock Polish

Also, the bug that prevented Zygarde-10% from being used on the ladder is finally fixed. Take a good look at your teams, folks, because I guarantee you that at least half of them are weak to CB Zydoge. That thing is so good at punishing offensive teams. Can't wait to build around it a bit more.

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Facade / Sleep Talk

Z10 is awesome, Thousand Arrows and Outrage kill pretty much everything and a fast extreme speed is overkill, im using a LO set with DD in he 4th slot for the lack of coverage (not than he need it)

I also had some fun with half done A-Exeggutor set
Exeggutor-Alola @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick Room

Is like a M Scepctile than need to seet up first, with ZardY you get Sitrus berry every turn, and with his high bulk is hard to kill, but you can try other berries or just go frisk + LO. No idea why he dont get Dragon Pulse

Z10 is awesome, Thousand Arrows and Outrage kill pretty much everything and a fast extreme speed is overkill, im using a LO set with DD in he 4th slot for the lack of coverage (not than he need it)

I also had some fun with half done A-Exeggutor set
Exeggutor-Alola @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick Room

Is like a M Scepctile than need to seet up first, with ZardY you get Sitrus berry every turn, and with his high bulk is hard to kill, but you can try other berries or just go frisk + LO. No idea why he dont get Dragon Pulse
Alolan eggy gets flamethrower

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For some more teams, here's the SashSpam team I've been running a lot:

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Pretty simple, focuses a lot on Breloom as a great anti-lead against a lot of 'mons. Latias clears hazards and Healing Wishes to bring something back in safely. Jolly BD Azu is a beast as always, with Knock over Waterfall to give you a better matchup versus things like Slowbro and Amoongus. Volcarona gives you another wincon and a strong Rachi/Scizor switchin. Passho + Roost means you can actually set up on a lot of bulky Waters, and keeps offensive Water types from revenging you. Scarf Rachi is gluemon that ties everything together.
Weird, I ended up building an extremely similar team two days ago, did you draw inspiration from FLCL's archived XY team?

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

Scizor @ Iron Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Soul Dew on Latias is probably better I forgot about the nerf (and that it is now legal) so I'll probably change that, I originally had EQ on DD Dragonite but I felt I was too weak to Scizor so I changed to Fire Punch. As for Z Belly Drum vs Sitrus, I'm not sure which is actually better, Sitrus is better if you belly drum against any Pokemon that is slower than you, or is faster than you but deals less than 25% damage to you, or on a forced switch (assuming full health), where as Z-Drum is easier to set up if you aren't at full health or against something faster than you dealing 26-99% damage, Sitrus Berry is also useful if you don't manage to pull off a Drum where as z-move item is not, granted z-item cannot be knocked off so that is definitely a pro.

From my experience in UU alpha so far I'd say Breloom is pretty underrated, and the meta is extremely offensive right now, which I'm not sure if its due to the large power creep brought on by the UBs and the Tapus or if the meta is young so people don't know what they need to cover on balance (probably a bit of both), but even if it is kinda bonkers its definitely pretty fun. Also Aurora Veil is really dumb and Alola-Ninetales is probably actually pretty good oo.

Will Drizzle and Drought be allowed this gen?
Currently, drizzle and drought are allowed but that may change (especially with zard-y being all over the place). I think drought and drizzle will be suspected after the inevitable zard-y ban because zard-y is its own issue (drought user that can clearly abuse its own sun), compared to torkoal, ninetales, and politoed (used mostly for the weather benefits).
Sun cores (zard-y + venusaur or scarf victini) are very good now.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Weird, I ended up building an extremely similar team two days ago, did you draw inspiration from FLCL's archived XY team?
I did! I've been thinking about late BW OU and early XY/ORAS OU teams a lot when I've been building. I think SashLoom is amazing in this meta, and is definitely underrated as hell. FLCL's team was pretty much the iconic SashLoom team in XY, so it was basically the first place I looked.

Your version seems a bit closer to the original than mine, but it's a really solid team structure for a meta as insanely offensive as this one. I think there are some other directions that style of team could go as well. What about a version with sash quickpass Scolipede and strong breakers like KyuB? Something like Loom/Scoli/Latias/Zard-Y/Kyurem-B/Necrozma, for instance, could be interesting.

Last edited:
Salt incoming

I just ran into a bp team, and unsurprisingly it's still cancerous cheese that can go burn in hell.

How many checks do you have for Kyurem and Zard? Now how many do you have now that they're +2? Bp is really freaking good thanks to the powerful attackers that need to be out sped due to them having no counters. I don't know maybe I'm just too salty, but bp is still cancer and you should use it if you want free wins from turn 1.

Scolipede is the main bper, and for good reason, it can actually sweep in its own right. Necrozma is an interesting receiver, since it gets stored power and calm mind. All of the lethal breakers become broken, and all you can do is watch if you don't pack one of the few things that can answer them. Zard and Kyub might be annoying, but baton pass is honestly the most unfair and cancerous thing on the ladder imo.

Oh, and Zydoge is really fun, and you should use it because thousand arrows is a top ten move.

Fuck bp

Last edited:

ehT

:dog:
is a Contributor Alumnus
Volcanion, as you might expect, is absolutely brutal. Most teams aren't running consistent Water resists at the moment due to New Toy Syndrome, and those not named Latias can scarcely touch Volcanion and generally lack recovery. In light of this, I've found its best partner, surprisingly, to be a functionally identical mon in Specs Primarina. Few teams are prepared for the offensive redundancy from such ridiculously strong mons, and their defensive redundancy is assuaged by their secondary typings + Water Absorb.

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Energy Ball

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Pursuit / Aqua Tail

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Spikes / Hidden Power Fire

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

The way I've played this is pretty straightforward, and honestly borderline braindead. Basically, click the Water move. It doesn't matter if there's a Tentacruel or an Empoleon or whatever. Click the Water move. They will die. The other 4 are there almost entirely to support this by further pressuring Water resists and mitigating offensive pressure. LO Rose reliably 1v1's Waters w/ recovery (read: Suicune), Shuca Gross further pressures Waters (most notably luring Gyara) w/ the tech T-Punch and is a one-time blanket check to nasty physical attackers such as M-Aero, our own M-Aero traps all the things, most notably Zard-Y and Torn(-T), as well as cleans, and Mamo, while admittedly filler, is a much needed physical breaker capable of reliably revenging Dragons. Here's an admittedly cheesy replay showing how you're meant to play most of the time, and here's another showing how you handle fast offensive teams that pressure the main core.
: CM on both of these can easily win if you're not careful. Also it's nearly 2017 why is T-Wave still allowed. Hit them before they can boost and play aggressively.
: I have no good switch-ins and it outspeeds everything I have to hit it super effectively, which is why Aqua Tail is slashed on Aero.
: Short of sacking Metagross, there isn't much counterplay to Lead Sash this + whatever comes in after. I also lack a good Fighting resist.
: Very little is required for this to just win. Save either Metagross or Volc to beat it 1v1. If that fails, pray it doesn't have Poison Jab and use Prima.

Last edited:
Pokebank UU is already available; that's the ladder we're all playing right now. As for when Alpha will become Beta, it's too early to say. It should begin January earliest. In the meantime, enjoy abusing the broken shit haha
I cant see Keldeo getting back to OU. There is Toxapex, Mantine, Pelipper who can hard check it. And the nerf to Burn wasn't in Keldeo's favour too. Offensively things like Scarf Lele, Tapu Koko can OHKO it.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rest
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Gyro Ball

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Dragon Claw / Toxic
- Flamethrower

I noticed there were no stall teams posted here yet, so I decided to post one here I made in conjunction with the OU room (thanks to Noveliss and PrimaryCanary in particular).

The team went through a lot of iterations, with pokemon such as RestTalk Keldeo, Shadow Ball / Ice Beam Blissey, defensive Ice Beam Latias, Hippowdon (before we realised it was banned), Alomomola, Jirachi, Poison Fang Crobat, Rotom-Heat, Starmie, Tangrowth and Skuntank all in the team at one point, before the team was finalised (although I'm definitely open to suggestions).

Weavile's main role in the team is to provide the team with speed and a revenge killer, as well as the ability to trap multiple threats to the team including Tornadus-Therian, Mew, Gengar, Thundurus and Victini sets. Being able to threaten a premiere stallbreaker in the form of Gliscor is also very nice, although Pursuit is unable to trap effectively barring a low hp Gliscor. The speed and priority it brings is also a nice safety net in general for a team thats overall very slow.

Blissey is here as the team's rock setter, and a catchall special wall for threats such as Volcarona, Charizard-Y and Starmie that the room identified as threats, as well as the obligatory cleric support for a stall team.

Quagsire's similarly here as a physical wall, able to handle threats such as Weavile, non Supersonic Skystrike / non Band Dragonite, SD Scizor, SD EQ Terrakion, BD Azumarill, and as a general stop to physical set-up. Toxic has been chosen to help wear down Dragonite in particular much faster than the nerfed Scald.

Doublade's here first and foremost as the primary Kyurem-Black answer (we noticed that LO Earth Power wasnt particularly common, and tended to be walled by Blissey), while also helping with threats such as Terrakion, Skystrike Dragonite and Staraptor.

Amoonguss is the team's water resist, and the answer to threats such as Keldeo, Serperior and Breloom. Access to Spore and Clear Smog is also nice for disabling nearly a guaranteed mon every game.

Finally, Salamence is kind of the black sheep of the team, as its slot was by far the most contested. It was chosen to act as the team's hazard removal, as well as the team's U-Turn absorber (from pokemon such as Banded Scizor or Victini) which were able to wear down the team. Dragon Claw is nice for consistent STAB damage and good coverage with Flamethrower, although Toxic helps wear down switchins in general (especially Roost Volcarona and the aforementioned Victini). Flamethrower is just coverage to chip down Scizor in particular, while coverage against Forretress is also good. The speedcreep is copied from an old team of mine, I really don't remember what it does but iirc it was important so I copied it onto this team.

The main threats to this team in theory are Roost + Giga Drain Volcarona (which Blissey cannot beat, and Salamence cannot either unless running Toxic), Outrage + Earth Power Kyurem-Black, as well as mixed Victini (revenged by Weavile, but will almost always get a kill). Dragonite sets carrying Skystrike + EQ are also very difficult for the team to answer.

I played a few games with the team (although I forgot to save replays unfortunately), and I found it worked quite well (admittedly against lower ladder players). If anyone has any feedback, I'd be happy to receive it.

Edit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankuualpha-496907811

Replay of the team in action: although I lost, I feel the replay shows the team in action quite well, and that my loss was due to me being outplayed rather than the team quality.

Edit 2: This team is worse than the updated version which is present on the next page.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)