Sunny Fire!

Taiyou sansan nekketsu pawaa! Cure Sunny!

Sorry...I had to make the Smile Precure reference. Anyway, I'm new here in Smogon so I don't know exactly where to start. I guess I should start with a little introduction, so here we go.

Ninetales has always been my favourite Pokemon since Generation I...But Unfourtunately he...Well...Sucks. At least until Generation V when he got one of the best abilities from the Dream World so I had to make a Sun team to finnaly being able to play with my favourite Pokemon.

The first step was to, of course, read Rise and Shine: A Guide to Sun in BW OU and start testing. I've tried many, many Pokemon and there are some that I still miss...But I guess I finally have a consistent team since I've managed to reach #128 In OU on the Smogon Server...But I still have some trouble getting this team to work, specially against rain and this is where I need your help.

So...Let's meet the team.

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 144 hp / 252 SAtk / 112 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

I don't have much to say about this Ninetales. The idea is to bring the weather and hopefully criple 2 Poklemon before switching out. Energy Ball is there instead of solarbeam to hit politoed on the switch and maybe Tyranitar. Finnaly, Fire Blast for a good and reliable STAB...Pretty self-explanatory. I know that Hypnosis accuracy isn't exactly reliable...But I think it's worth the risk.

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 hp / 172 Atk / 168 SAtk / 164 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Growth
- Energy Ball
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice

Venusaur is a good Revenge Killer and Late Game Sweeper and with this set I can catch some of his counters off guard. Earthquake with 172 Atk EV let me OHKO Heatran almost 100% of the time even when unboosted. I run HP Ice instead of Fire mainly to revenge kill dragons since my teammates can take care of scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Forretress. Finnaly Energy Ball is a more reiliable STAB than Solar Beam because it let me hit Politoed even in rain. A Timid Nature and 164 Spd EV let me outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion and hopefully OHKO him with Energy Ball.

Xatu (M) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 hp / 104 Def / 152 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-Turn

I'm surprised of how good Xatu worked for my team. He can Bounce Back Stealth Rock, Status effects and the double screens he provides are greately appreciated. Unfourtunately he is too frail and sometimes I fail to predict my opponent, getting him killed for nothing...But when I predict correctly makes using him worth the risk.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flame Charge
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earth Power

I really love this Heatran. Flame Charge takes many of my opponents by surprise turning Heatran into a good early, mid, and late game sweeper. Fire Blast for STAB, Hidden Power Ice for Dragons and Earth Power for other Heatran.

Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Morning Sun

I really have trouble getting him on the field after Stealth Rock but when I do and after a couple of quiver dances Volcarona turns into a monster capable of sweeping entire teams. This set doesn't need any explanation, I just send him against something that can't 2HKO and get as many Quiver Dances as possible before attempting a Sweep.

Darmanitan (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn

I ussualy lead with him, using U-Turn to scout my opponent's moves, send the appropiate Counter and save him for a late game sweep with Flare Blitz.I run Earthquake instead of Superpower because I don't like the Atk and Def drop and it can't even OHKO Heatran.

Well, that's my team...Any suggestions on how to improve it? My main issues are Rain Stall teams with Blissey or Eviolite chansey since I can't get past their defenses. Oh and Batton Pass chains...So I would greatly appreciate your help guys...Oh, and excuse my english.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hello nice team
So for the aforementioned problem of dealing with rain teams. Politoed can be hard tol work around but with proper prediction you can elimate him without much problem if you switch Darmanitan with a Focus Sash Dugtrio. An earthquake followed by a full power reversal will fail to KO only the most phsically defensive Politoed sets. Even if you miss the KO you can pick him off a lot quicker after the damage he took.
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly (+Spd -SpAtk)
Trait: Arena Trap
EV's: 252Atk/4Def/252Spd
-Stealth Rock
-Reveral
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch
Yeah this guy would help you win the weather war a whole bunch. Dugtrio's Earthquake does 39-46% damage to the standard suppourt Politoed set. This brins him down to Full power reversal KO range. With luck after you get this KO you can set up rocks. Sucker Punch is only here for the priority and lets Dugtrio have one last shot before dying

OK i have a couple of things to say

1. a mistake many people make is to havev a magic bounce user and no spinner, this is not good unless you have near godlike prediction and, more importantly, you can keep yur bouncer alive. i suggest running Donphan/Forretress>Heatran/Xatu

2. Heatran is more a sun check than anything else and although he is a great sweeper in the sun you already have volcarona, Darmanitan and Venusaur.

3. I like your Xatu set as it must really help with those set-up sweeps.

4. Because you are using Venusaur, a heavily sun reliant pokemon i suggest running a Sunny Day ninetales to help win the weather war.

5. Some hazards of your own would help and a Forretress can spin them and set them up

6. If baton pass teams give you that much trouble then try roar on Heatran/Ninetales

7. Your team really feels like 4 sweepers + Dual Screens and Ninetales so you may want to work on some synergy and balance in term of offense/defense

Keep at it and im sure you will do well

The sets
Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SAtk / 112 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Morning Sun

If your not going to use Solar Beam, I'd suggest Giga Drain over Energy Ball. 75 base power hits almost anything super effective for a OHKO as is, and Giga Drain helps you stay alive and negates that nasty life orb damage. The other advantage is that any Blissey without Thunderwave just becomes setup bait. Once you hit +6 with growth, it's a 2HKO with Giga Drain. I ran this on a Victreebel, and it worked wonders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)