Super-Effectivemons

Did I mention Kyurem is broken? STILL has no Ice physical STAB though. But Mach/Bullet Punch for bandedets. Or shift gear + Close Combat to tear shit up.
Kyurem-Black running a set of Dragon Claw/Close Combat/Heavy Slam (For Fairies)/Shift Gear is basically uncounterable once it gets going. I've already tagged Valmanway once to ask if we can get a suspect on it. No response.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
idk if anyone mentioned this yet, but from my experience, meowstic is basically the "stabmons sableye" of this meta, gaining quiver dance, dark void, parting shot, heal order, topsy turvy, sticky web, knock off, and more, its really threatening, with both bulky sets, and even more offensive ones with quiver dance. possibly the best prankster user in the meta.

Just for anyone unsure of how powerful that KyuremB set is, here's some calcs to use as a reference.
252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 195-230 (58.3 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 400-473 (101.7 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 177-211 (46.3 - 55.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 222-263 (62.7 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Aggron: 265-312 (77 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is a MAX DEFENSE MEGA AGGRON. 90 stinking percent.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 224-265 (55.4 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Those are some of the best physically defensive mons found in OU. None can switch in after a shift gear.

Keep in mind that Dragons and Ghosts have access to all of their STABs (assuming secondary typing doesn't resist.)
Dragon Dance Mega Garchomp anyone? Special Rend Latios? Shadow Sneak Golurk?

The worst thing is there's no reason for Kyurem-Black to invest in Speed, since it will outspeed anything that doesn't, itself, Shift Gear or similar, so it's also obnoxiously bulky, between its actually decent bulk and the fact that it can just invest in HP.

Also, keep in mind the Mega Aggron calc is in part because Teravolt lets it ignore Filter. Still ridiculous, but less so than it first seems.

In the case of Dragons, only Dialga has to actually suffer from a lack of SEmons Dragon moves.

In the case of Ghosts, only Sableye and Spiritomb have to suffer form a lack of SEmons Ghost moves.

Oh, sorry about that. Yeah, I'm just gonna be simple and ban Kyurem-B.
You going to update the OP with bans?

idk if anyone mentioned this yet, but from my experience, meowstic is basically the "stabmons sableye" of this meta, gaining quiver dance, dark void, parting shot, heal order, topsy turvy, sticky web, knock off, and more, its really threatening, with both bulky sets, and even more offensive ones with quiver dance. possibly the best prankster user in the meta.
Yeah, it's been mentioned. Mega Banette is also the "STABmons Sableye" of the meta, but is basically strictly inferior to Meowstic for such a position, lacking the Bug moves and having inferior bulk and Speed. Much better Attack, but eh. Meowstic also has innate access to Assist, meaning it can do Prankster V-Create and the like.

Riolu deserves an honorable mention, thanks to its access to Prankster Psychic moves, unique among Pranksters. Heart Swapping for stats is probably inferior to Topsy-Turvy-ing a setup enemy, but eh.

Other Pranksters can do some interesting things. Liepard can do a Prankster Geomancy backed by Secret Sword, for instance. 80-something Special Attack isn't half-bad.

But yeah, Meowstic is probably king of Pranksters in this meta. Thundurus has a cute trick with Prankster Haze, and the ability to Prankster Stealth Rock certainly has some kind of utility, though honestly it's probably happier with the fact that it doesn't need Hidden Power Ice and can instead run Ice Beam/Freeze Dry.

Last edited:
yay, kyu-b ban. maybe defensive builds will have more of a shot now that doublade isn't basically requisite (probably not, though, given all the qd/tg users)

uhh guys.

Crawdaunt
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Blue Flare
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
- Will-O-Wisp
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
-filler

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
uhh guys.

Crawdaunt
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Blue Flare
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain

Klefki @ Leftovers
- Will-O-Wisp
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
-filler
Blue Flare on Serp is outclassed by Overheat tbh, they have the same BP/PP, but Overheat raises it's SpA by 2 and is more accurate.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
uhh guys.

Crawdaunt
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Blue Flare
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain

Klefki @ Leftovers
- Will-O-Wisp
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
-filler
ice beams probably also a bit better then dragon pulse. and oblivion wing might be slightly more reliable then giga drain (slightly weaker, but recovers more hp and hits more relevant stuff neutrally)

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Sky Drop
- Seed Bomb

just a silly stally mushroom

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Sky Drop
- Seed Bomb

just a silly stally mushroom
If you're running Sub, I'd run Focus Punch over Seed Bomb tbh, allowing you to hit the Rock/Steel types that Sky Drop can't and overall having better coverage and being stronger for hitting switchins/fat mons.

For Serperior, I would suggest:
-Leaf Storm
-Overheat
-Oblivion Wing/ Ice Beam
-Substitute/ V-Create/ Leech Seed

Leftovers would be best with Sub and not Oblivion Wing, Life orb would be good with Oblivion wing and Leech seed.

I have a question about this meta. Do mons keep their old moves and then get the moves of the types that the mon is weak against, with each type acting with its own weaknesses, or both types' weaknesses combined?
If the latter, Celebi gets Quiver Dance (Well, it still would with the former). And we also finally have a reason to NOT use Contrary Serperior right there.

Yes. And we still have a reason to use Contrary Serperior - Overheat, V-Create, Dragon Ascent, etc are all moves it can learn now. Serperior's still a Wallbreaker that can become more a wallbreaker with some of its coverage moves.

Yes. And we still have a reason to use Contrary Serperior - Overheat, V-Create, Dragon Ascent, etc are all moves it can learn now. Serperior's still a Wallbreaker that can become more a wallbreaker with some of its coverage moves.
Oh, yea. Forgot XD
And yes to which one?

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
I have a question about this meta. Do mons keep their old moves and then get the moves of the types that the mon is weak against, with each type acting with its own weaknesses, or both types' weaknesses combined?
If the latter, Celebi gets Quiver Dance (Well, it still would with the former). And we also finally have a reason to NOT use Contrary Serperior right there.
As an example, Landorus-Therian gets Ice- and Water-type moves, as it is weak to both. It does not get Electric- or Rock- type moves, because even though Flying is weak to both, Landorus-T itself isn't. It also keeps its standard movepool (Earthquake, U-turn, etc).

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Idk if someone's mentioned this set yet and I'm sure as hell not scanning 15 pages to check if they have.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch / Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack / Rock Slide / Facade

Basically normal BandRakion except it now has the option to get STAB on its priority. Ofc Quick Attack is still an option due to a lot of fast stuff like Torn resisting Mach, but on ada variants it is really nice as it can use it as a primary attack akin to stuff like Mamo with Ice Shard.

As an example, Landorus-Therian gets Ice- and Water-type moves, as it is weak to both. It does not get Electric- or Rock- type moves, because even though Flying is weak to both, Landorus-T itself isn't. It also keeps its standard movepool (Earthquake, U-turn, etc).
Ah, thanks.

Also, Jirachi's Sacred Fire always burns if it hits. Dunno if moves with 50% chances to do anything (like Sacred Fire) should be banned because of this. Idk. And if Shaymin-S is not banned, its Sacred Fire always burns if it hits, too, and it has a larger SpA.

I'm making a list of powerful things in my own opinion on a Google Document, one of them being Quiver Dance Mega Alakazam. Mega Alakazam has the fifth highest base Special Attack in the game, so if it sets up even one Quiver Dance, it will just wreak havoc.

Also, Jirachi's Sacred Fire always burns if it hits. Dunno if moves with 50% chances to do anything (like Sacred Fire) should be banned because of this. Idk. And if Shaymin-S is not banned, its Sacred Fire always burns if it hits, too, and it has a larger SpA.

I'm making a list of powerful things in my own opinion on a Google Document, one of them being Quiver Dance Mega Alakazam. Mega Alakazam has the fifth highest base Special Attack in the game, so if it sets up even one Quiver Dance, it will just wreak havoc.
Sacred Fire Jirachi was manageable in Sketchmons, though it didn't get Earthquake coverage to hit Fire-types, so we'll see. Definitely don't blanket ban 50% chance moves, they're not necessarily broken -- especially not on anything that learns them naturally.

Life Orb Alakazam is more powerful than Mega Alakazam, and Magic Guard lets it set up on passive mons that might try to Toxic it to cut into its sweep. Not that Megazam doesn't have its niche, but I think regular Zam might have a slight edge in setup sweeping.

so... what about pidgeot-mega gettin zap cannon, blizzard and rock moves?
I mean, when this combo(zap cannon + no guard) happens in other metas they usually ban it. (At least sheer cold should be banned)

doublade can also run inferno no guard (i dont think thats a huge treat, but in case you havent considered this)

I think Shedninja sucker punch + rock coverage could be a funny problem.

Sacred Fire is a Physical move, not a Special move. Shaymin-Sky's superior Special attack isn't relevant to Sacred Fire. (Shaymin-Sky is banned anyway)

50% chance moves don't need to be banned just because of stacking with Serene Grace. This would only have a chance of being true if Flinch had a 50% representative, which it doesn't.

Sheer Cold is banned because OHKO moves are banned.

Actually, Zap Cannon+No Guard isn't the problem. In other metas the problem is then stacking it with Dynamic Punch (Resulting in a less than 50% chance of making a move at all), which SEmons doesn't let Mega Pidgeot do.

Inferno Doublade is kind of interesting, but alas it lacks recovery. SEmons doesn't provide any, either.

Honestly you'd be better off using Will-O-Wisp on Doublade, its Special Attack sucks. Mega Pidgeot could be interesting, as perfectly accurate Zap Cannons and Blizzards give it a solid niche over Tornadus-T.

As for Alakazam it's too frial to boost, so I'd personally go with a simple Dark Void + 3 attacks set with a Life Orb.

I'm suprised more people aren't talking about Tyranitar, that gets loads of good stuff.

Weaknesses:
Ground - Spikes I guess, but yeah not great
Fighting - Close Combat and High Jump Kick can replace Superpower
Grass - Spore, Power Whip for coverage on bulky Water and Ground types, Spiky Shield if you're into that
Steel - Forget Dragon Dance, give me Shift Gear!
Bug - U-turn for Choice sets and reliable recovery in Heal Order
Fairy - Play Rough to hit Fighting types I guess?
Ice (Pupitar) - Icicle Crash to wreck Landorus-T

Inferno bypasses Magic Bounce and gets in chipping damage. The only reason to use Will O Wisp on Doublade over Inferno is if you're concerned about PP. Having crap Special Attack isn't a reason to not use No Guard Inferno.

Yeah, Tyranitar is pretty terrifying and probably deserves more talking.

Well if you want to bypass Magic Bounce why not use Sacred Fire? OK it's not a guaranteed burn, but there's still a very good chance it will, and it will do much more damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)