Super Frog VS... British Bat?

Well hello there everyone! As you can see (unless you’re blind, in which case, how the hell are you on here anyway?) I have decided to write a little warstory. Ever since reading my first warstory I’ve been anxious to contribute one of my own, but up until now I’ve not really had a battle that seemed appropriate for a story. Usually I’d get half way through editing it and realize “Uhhh this is about as interesting as watching paint dry” and I’d abandon it. However, it has taught me a little bit about the process of actually writing these things, so hopefully this ends up a smooth and entertaining read for you guys.

Enough about that, onto the warstory itself! Here I was using my trustworthy rain team after having been using an experimental sand team based around Excadrill for a while. That team was... less than successful, so I had decided to go back to my most successful team to try and gain some ground back on the ladder. While doing this I ran into this battle, against an opponent I’d have considered high rated even before my catastrophic tumble down the ladder. Anticipating a hard battle, I dug in. Turned out I wasn’t disappointed.

Note: Because of the sheer amount of repetitiveness, some parts of the log will be omitted. Rain will only be shown once, as will Leftovers after the first appearance. Entry hazard damage, poison heal, burn damage, leech seed etc. will also be omitted. My actions in the log will be blue, Darkmaster77’s actions in the log will be red. All images are taken from Bulbapedia.

THE RULES:
Tier: Standard OU
Mode: Singles
Variation: +28, -4
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

THE TEAMS:

My team is a balanced rain team more oriented towards stall than offense, and it has served me fairly well over the past few weeks. It needs the rain up to succeed, so I am relieved to notice that he doesn’t have a weather starter. This means I’ll be fighting in my element the entire match, unless one of his Pokemon packs an unexpected weather changing move. However all is not well. Latios, Gliscor and Starmie can all give my team trouble if they’re played well, especially since Latios and Starmie are able to use my own rain against me. I might have lots of counters to Gliscor, but for some reason the annoying scorpion bat thing always seems to be an issue. In any case, there doesn’t seem to be any reason to not set up my rain right away, so I lead with Nappa, my Politoed.

Jimera0 sent out Nappa! (Politoed)
Darkmaster77 sent out Ferrothorn!
Nappa's Drizzle made it rain!

100% VS
100%

Ah, he must have thought I’d lead with Nappa and so sent out the appropriate counter. I could try to burn it with Scald since Ferrothorn is always easier to deal with when it’s feeling the heat, but that’s only a 30% chance and not worth risking sacrificing Nappa this early to a powerful Power Whip. I think I’ll switch to Thor, my Dragonite, who can take anything Ferrothorn can throw at him. It’s also good to get him in before it gets up Stealth Rock, which would make switching in Thor much more difficult.

Start of turn 1
Jimera0 called Nappa back!
Jimera0 sent out Thor! (Dragonite)

The foe's Ferrothorn used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Jimera0's team!

100% VS
100%

Well good thing I got Thor in now, especially since he’s my best counter to Ferrothorn. Thor is a Rain-Nite variant, with both Hurricane and Thunder. Hurricane wrecks Ferrothorn, but I also carry Brick Break for dealing with Tyranitar, Blissey and Chansey. I often have opponents assume I’m using a physical set rather than a special based one even before I attack, so I wonder how he’d react if I used a physical attack right off the bat? He might switch into Gliscor, who I can smash for major damage with Hurricane. I really like the devious nature of this ploy, so I’m going to give it a shot.

Start of turn 2
Thor used Brick Break!
It's super effective!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 32% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs hurts Thor

The foe's Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
The attack of the foe's Ferrothorn missed!

Thor restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Ferrothorn restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

93% VS
74%

Leech seed missing is a small blessing for me, as it means it’ll be easier to keep Multiscale intact. It probably would not have made that much of a difference in any case though. Brick Break didn’t do a tonne of damage, but it will wear it down if he keeps it in. On top of that, there’s still a good chance he won’t switch, so I don’t want to give up the goose and go for a Hurricane just yet, despite the increased damage it would do to both Ferrothorn and Gliscor. I’ve found that the element of surprise is a great asset to Thor, so I intend on actively using it for once instead of just taking advantage of random blunders by my opponents!

Start of turn 3
Darkmaster77 called Ferrothorn back!
Darkmaster77 sent out Britscor! (Gliscor)

Thor used Brick Break!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Britscor lost 6% of its health!

The foe's Britscor's Toxic Orb activated!
The foe's Britscor was poisoned!

99% VS
94% (Poison Heal)

Ah, the annoying mutant bat shows itself. Unfortunately I’m literally a couple HP short of having Multiscale intact, and that damn thing is likely to carry a super effective attack, maybe even Ice Fang. I think I’ll stay in anyway though, as Thor has incredible bulk even without Multiscale, and a defensive Pokemon like Gliscor won’t be able to OHKO me from almost full health. I can’t pass up this opportunity to put a massive dent in one of the most annoying Pokemon in the metagame. Hurricane it is!

Start of turn 4
The foe's Britscor used Ice Fang!
It's super effective!
Thor lost 196 HP! (51% of its health)

Thor used Hurricane!
The foe's Britscor lost 72% of its health!
The foe's Britscor became confused!

The foe's Britscor restored HP using its Poison Heal!
Jimera0: fell for it
Jimera0: >:D

55% VS
34% (Poison Heal, Confused)

Thor’s bulk never ceases to amaze me! A 4x super effective attack and it only does 51% of my health, even without Multiscale! The confusion is a terrific boon as well, as it means he has at least a 50% chance of losing his Gliscor if he stays in. It’s clear from looking at his team that Gliscor is a big part of his defensive core, so I doubt he’ll risk that. Even if he doesn’t switch and manages to hit me with another Ice Fang, I still have a good chance of living and KOing back. For once, it doesn’t look like I actually NEED Thor to counter anything on his team, so it’d be a worthy sacrifice if he were to faint taking down that annoying bat thing. Which is apparently British. Now that’s a thought. I bet it wears a monocle and top hat, like a distinguished English gentleman... Anyway... Hurricane it is.

Start of turn 5
Darkmaster77 called Britscor back!

Thor used Hurricane!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 39% of its health!

61% VS
40%

As expected, he switches out his Gliscor to avoid losing it. Ferrothorn gets hit pretty hard on the switch, so hard I bet he’ll switch out fearing a KO. Latios would be an obvious switch in at this point, forcing out my Dragonite, and setting him up for big Stealth Rock damage when he comes back in later. I think I’ll Roost up so I can afford to switch him in again, even with Stealth Rock up. Nothing I can hit Latios with will do enough threaten it anyway, barring some lucky parahax from Thunder.

Start of turn 6
Thor used Roost!
Thor landed on the ground!
Thor regained health!

Thor was seeded!

87% (Seeded) VS
60%

Well this poses a problem to me. Since he didn’t switch out as I expected AND he managed to seed me, I’m facing a much longer and more annoying battle using Thor here. Hell, if it carries Protect it might turn into a stall war that I might not even be able to win. I think one of my other Pokemon could do much better in this battle, especially if this Ferrothorn does carry Protect...

Start of turn 7
Jimera0 called Thor back!
Jimera0 sent out Yosei! (Jirachi)

The foe's Ferrothorn used Gyro Ball!
Yosei lost 63 HP! (15% of its health)

Yosei restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

85% VS
66%

Hmmm, it’s carrying Gyro Ball. That lessens the likelihood that it carries Protect, but I think Yosei can handle this better anyway. Now the decision is whether to use Calm Mind or Wish first. Calm Mind may seem the better idea at first, since it’s not like his Ferrothorn is going to be taking my health down so fast that I need to use Wish right away (Yosei doesn’t carry Protect). However, it’s my experience that if you don’t Wish early you end up regretting it later, and I fear he’ll switch back to Gliscor even though that would be a big gamble on his part (a smart one though, as Yosei doesn’t carry anything that hit’s Gliscor well). With Wish I’ll be able to get an essentially free switch in to the counter of my choice if he switches, and I just like having that security blanket in case of surprises. So I’ll opt to go with Wish.

Start of turn 8

Yosei used Wish!

91% VS
45% (Poison Heal)

It’s like he knows Yosei’s moveset even though it’s fairly unorthodox. Most rain abusing Jirachi would carry Water Pulse instead of my little surprise move, making Gliscor a poor choice and meaning Ferrothorn would be safe... maybe I’m overestimating my opponent here. The only way this choice makes sense would be if he thought Yosei had Hidden Power Fire (but I’m in rain, so what sense would that make?) or if he though Gliscor could OHKO Jirachi with Earthquake (it can’t). Well lucky for him, it turns out that Gliscor is the perfect counter for Yosei, as my special move barely scratches him. Lucky for me, I opted to use Wish instead of Calm Mind, so I can switch to the queen of bulky waters for free!

Start of turn 9
Jimera0 called Yosei back!
Jimera0 sent out Naginni! (Vaporeon)

The foe's Britscor used Earthquake!
Naginni lost 108 HP! (23% of its health)

Yosei's wish came true!

100% VS
58% (Poison Heal)

Naginni is by far my most potent wall. She's able to stall out almost any opponent, thanks to abusing Hydration and Rest. His Gliscor doesn’t stand a chance. Of course, he probably realizes this, so I doubt it will stay in. I think I’ll use Scald in any case though, as it would KO Britscor and possibly burn Ferrothorn, the most likely switch-in. No matter what he brings in, I’m confident Naginni can take it.

Start of turn 10
Darkmaster77 sent out Starmie!

Naginni used Scald!
The foe's Starmie lost 32% of its health!

The foe's Starmie restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

100% VS
74%

Ohhhh dear. I had forgotten that he had that Starmie. I’m a bit afraid here, as just a few games ago a Life Orb Starmie wasted my entire team. I’m worried that it carries Thunderbolt or even Thunder. The presence of Leftovers allows me to breathe a sigh of relief though; it means Naggini can take at least one hit from whatever it uses, barring a crit. I think I’m going to use Rest to scout out what attacks it has. In this circumstance, it’s almost as effective as Protect would be.

Start of turn 11
The foe's Starmie used Ice Beam!
Naginni lost 52 HP! (11% of its health)

Naginni used Rest!
Naginni went to sleep and became healthy!
Naginni's Hydration heals its status!

100% VS
80%

Ice Beam? Someone was predicting a switch to certain dragon type. Not sure why he’d think that since bringing Thor in against Starmie when Stealth Rock is on my side of the field would be a big risk, but it means that there’s a good chance it isn’t packing an electric attack after all. I think I’ll take the opportunity to use Toxic on it and either force it out or poison the switch-in. If I could nail his Latios with Toxic, that’d be great!

Start of turn 12
Darkmaster77 called Starmie back!
Darkmaster77 sent out El LOCO! (Lucario)

Naginni used Toxic!
But it failed!

100% VS
100%

Damn, wishing I had used Scald now. That Lucario is a pretty big threat to my team if it sets up. I can’t afford to switch out and let it get a free Sword Dance, so my choice is clear: Go for the burn with Scald.

Start of turn 13
The foe's El LOCO used Swords Dance!
The foe's El LOCO's Attack sharply rose!

Naginni used Scald!
The foe's El LOCO lost 74% of its health!

100% VS
26% (+2 Attack)

CRAP! No luck, no luck at ALL. I don’t know if Naginni can take a boosted Close Combat from Lucario or not. On top of that, anything I could switch in would almost certainly get 2HKO’d or even OHKO’d. Well, Naginni has amazed me with her bulk before, and if I can get off another Scald Lucario is done for. If she faints, well, I’ll just have to go for the revenge kill with my Terrakion, Crimson. This turn has really put me in a catch 22 situation. It seems no matter what I do, I’m losing something.

Start of turn 14
The foe's El LOCO used Close Combat!
Naginni lost 464 HP! (100% of its health)
Naginni fainted!
The foe's El LOCO's Defense fell!
The foe's El LOCO's Sp. Def. fell!
The foe's El LOCO is hurt by its Life Orb!

Jimera0 sent out Crimson! (Terrakion)

0% ==>
93% VS
15% (+2 Attack, -1 Defense, Special Defense)

OUCH! That is some serious power right there. I had forgotten how much of a beast Lucario was last generation since it gets used so much less these days. Well it’s up to Crimson to revenge kill this bastard now. Now, for the age old dilemma facing choiced Pokemon... Which move do I choose? Thankfully that Life Orb damage made my choice much easier to make, as it is within KO range of any of Crimson’s moves, even the 4x resisted Stone Edge. Now I just need to choose the move that will hit his potential switch-ins for the most damage... Stone Edge seems to be the one, hitting his entire team except for Ferrothorn for at least neutral damage, and I very much doubt he’d send in Ferrothorn against a potential Close Combat. Stone Edge’s accuracy is a bit of a worry, but I’ll risk it anyway.

Start of turn 15
Crimson used Stone Edge!
A critical hit!
The foe's El LOCO lost 15% of its health!
The foe's El LOCO fainted!

Darkmaster77 sent out Latios!

Current Score: 5-5 tie
Crimson [Terrakion] 93%, Yosei [Jirachi] 91%, Forretress 100%, Naginni [Vaporeon] 0% (Fainted), Nappa [Politoed] 100%, Thor [Dragonite] 87%
VS. El LOCO [Lucario] 0% (Fainted), Weavile 100%, Starmie 80%, Britscor [Gliscor] 58% (Poison Heal), Ferrothorn 66%, Latios 100%

93% VS
0% ==>
100%

Whew, that’s one bullet dodged. My Terrakion isn’t going to OHKO this Latios with Stone Edge, not with a Choice Scarf, and you can bet it’ll OHKO me back. Crimson is vitally important to my team as a revenge killer, so I have to switch. I strongly suspect one of two moves from him: Surf, to abuse the rain, or Draco Meteor, for maximum carnage. Draco Meteor will KO anything on my team other than Jirachi and Forretress, and neither wouldn’t be able to take a follow up attack. Forretress would get demolished by Surf and I still need him to get rid of that Stealth Rock and set up some hazards of my own. Politoed doesn’t really seem to serve any purpose to my team now, so I can afford to sack it on a Draco Meteor. If he opts to use Surf, then that’s even better since then I won’t have to sack anything. Yeah, I think Politoed is the best switch here.

Start of turn 16
Jimera0 called Crimson back!

The foe's Latios used Surf!
Nappa lost 119 HP! (30% of its health)

Nappa restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

63% VS
100%

Wonderful, the best case scenario. Now what to do next? I don’t know what item he’s carrying, but no Life Orb damage is encouraging, as it is most likely choiced. Still, I don’t want to risk a surprise Draco Meteor or Thunderbolt to the face, so I think I’ll scout with Protect, and then decide who to bring in after. In any case, netting some extra Leftovers recovery can’t hurt.

Start of turn 17
Darkmaster77 called Latios back!

Nappa used Protect!
But it failed!

70% VS
72%

Hmmm, didn’t stay in. That really suggests Choice Specs, or *shudder* Choice Scarf. A Scarf would seriously mess up my team if he were to remove one or two key pokemon then go to town with Surf. Well, no point in worrying about that now. Ferrothorn is back in and I’m thinking this is a golden opportunity to get some hazard control. Forretress may seem to be overshadowed by Ferrorthorn these days, but mono a mono Forretress can win the hazard war against most types of Ferrothorn, particularly against ones without Protect as this one seems to be.

Start of turn 18
Jimera0 sent out Forretress
!

The foe's Ferrothorn used Power Whip!
Forretress lost 21 HP! (5% of its health)

Forretress restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

88% VS
78%

Alright, time for the show to begin. First to get rid of the Stealth Rock and any seeds it throws on me with Rapid Spin...

Start of turn 19
Forretress used Rapid Spin!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 1% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs hurts Forretress
Forretress blew away Stealth Rock!

Forretress was seeded!

69% (Seeded) VS
96%

.... Derp. Apparently I forgot the Ferrothorn is slower than Forretress. This makes my winning the hazard war a little less likely. Well, the point of this isn’t to kill Ferrothorn anyway, or even to keep Forretress alive. Get up my hazards, get rid of his, force Ferrothorn out. Best move here is to get up my hazards since he’s likely to try to put his back up now. I’ll spin away the Leech Seed and his new hazards both the next turn.

Start of turn 20

Forretress used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Darkmaster77's team!

63% (Seeded) VS
83% (Poison Heal)

Oh ho, looks like he realized he wasn’t going to get anywhere with Ferrothorn after all. I got my rocks up now, just got to get rid of this Leech Seed and then I can set up even more hazards!

Start of turn 21
The foe's Britscor used Taunt!
Forretress fell for the taunt!

Forretress used Rapid Spin!
The foe's Britscor lost 2% of its health!
Forretress blew away Leech Seed!

69% VS
93% (Poison Heal)

Well that was a wasted turn thanks to Taunt. All I did was give his Gliscor even more time to heal. It’s like Thor’s Hurricane at the start of the match never even happened now... Well, I only have two options now to counter this infernal hell-bat with Naginni gone (Rest in peace, my dear Naginni T.T). I either switch to Thor and risk taking an Ice Fang to the face or switch to Nappa, who can probably take either an Earthquake or an Ice Fang. I think the choice is kind of obvious here... I’m glad I didn’t end up having to sack him against Latios!

Start of turn 22
Jimera0 called Forretress back!

Nappa lost 114 HP! (29% of its health)

40% VS
100% (Poison Heal)

Perfect, now I got a chance to hit this annoying, British flying rodent for most of his health. Even if he switches, nothing in his team will like taking a bunch of boiling water to the face, especially if it burns.

Start of turn 23

Nappa used Scald!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 12% of its health!

52% VS
84%

Dang, no burn and it did pitiful damage. Nappa can’t do much more than burn Ferrothorn, and it has the clear advantage over me in every other category. I’d use Protect to net some more health but it’s probable that he’ll be tossing up stones again rather than attacking seeing as Nappa is so harmless towards it, and I’d like to rack up as little Stealth Rock damage as I can. Forretress is starting to get worn down so I’m not sure I want to bring him out. Yosei is pretty much a 100% counter to it, so I think that she’s probably my best option.

Start of turn 24

The foe's Ferrothorn used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Jimera0's team!

96% VS
90%

Yup, Stealth Rock is back. How annoying. This is really going to limit Thor’s usefulness. I really want to get rid of this thorny annoyance as soon as possible at this point so I can finally get control over the entry hazards in this match, so I’m going to forgo the Wish and Calm Mind in the hopes he stays in and tries to stall me out with Leech Seed.

Start of turn 25
Yosei used Calm Mind!
Yosei's Sp. Att. rose!
Yosei's Sp. Def. rose!

Yosei was seeded!

87% (Seeded, +1 Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense) VS
100%

All to plan so far... I don’t care how much health you drain from me, you won’t be able to survive my surprise move once I get in a few Calm Minds! First, to ensure I can get them, I must make a Wish.

Start of turn 26

Yosei used Wish!

81% (Seeded, +1 Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense) VS
100% (Poison Heal)

Well, looks like I’m going to have to pull that thorn out of my side later. Glad I just used Wish, as I can now heal up Thor, Nappa, or Forretress. I’m still worried he’ll predict the switch to Thor and fire off an Ice Fang so that’s out of the question. Forretress will likely just get taunted, so I doubt he’ll be able to do much (in hindsight, it would’ve been worth it to spin away the rocks, but I digress). Nappa is my only reliable counter to Britscor at this point, so keeping him in tip-top shape seems like a good idea. He’ll be able to take anything short of a crit from Britscor, so this should at least force that Goddamn Bat out (10 points to whoever gets the reference)!

Start of turn 27

Nappa lost 102 HP! (26% of its health)

Yosei's wish came true!

63% VS
100% (Poison Heal)

Perfect, that worked out exactly as planned. Maybe he’ll even stay in for a Scald if I’m lucky?

Start of turn 28

Nappa used Scald!
The foe's Latios lost 20% of its health!

75% VS
67%

Alas, no such luck. Well since I know it’s choiced by now, I should be able to protect without worry and scout out what move he’s going to use. Plus, I’ll heal up even more!

Start of turn 29
Nappa used Protect!
Nappa protected itself!

The foe's Latios used Thunderbolt!
Nappa protected itself!

82% VS
67%

Well, I don’t have much on my team that can take that too well except for Thor and Yosei. I really need Yosei’s healing so I think I’ll risk Thor.

Start of turn 30

Pointed stones dug into Thor!

Thor lost 160 HP! (42% of its health)

27% VS
67%

DOPE! I completely forgot about that Stealth Rock! There goes any hope of dealing with this thing using Thor. Thor is just going to faint if I keep him in, and if I want to bring him back in I’ll need to get rid of those rocks... Forretress then!

Start of turn 31
Jimera0 called Thor back!
Jimera0 sent out Forretress!

Forretress lost 201 HP! (56% of its health)
Forretress fainted!

Jimera0 sent out Crimson! (Terrakion)

Current Score: 4-5, advantage Darkmaster77
Crimson [Terrakion] 87%, Yosei [Jirachi] 75%, Forretress 0% (Fainted), Naginni [Vaporeon] 0% (Fainted), Nappa [Politoed] 90%, Thor [Dragonite] 26%
VS. El LOCO [Lucario] 0% (Fainted), Weavile 100%, Starmie 80%, Britscor [Gliscor] 100% (Poison Heal), Ferrothorn 100%, Latios 67%

0% ==>
87% VS
67%

ARRRRRRRG that was so STUPID of me. I should have known that I’d get KO’d! Well it probably has Specs not Scarf judging by the damage, so I think it’s safe to bring in Crimson to at least force it out. If it IS Scarfed, I should be able to take at least one hit and KO back with X-Scissor. He could switch to that damn Gliscor again, but I can’t risk him staying in and KOing Crimson. If that happens, I’m screwed.

Start of turn 32
Darkmaster77 called Latios back!

Crimson used X-Scissor!
The foe's Britscor lost 9% of its health!

Jimera0: screwed that up hard
Jimera0: so hard I think it lost me the match

87% VS
90% (Poison Heal)

(I was talking about the turns before this last one in the log). Yeah, as you can tell I’m feeling a little bleak at this point. My Pokemon are being worn down from all the constant switching and his Latios could take out my whole remaining team if Crimson faints. Despite that, I decide to keep on fighting. Nappa is DEFINITELY my only counter to Gliscor now that Thor is so weakened, so I pretty much have to send him out.

Start of turn 33
Jimera0 called Crimson back!

Nappa fell for the taunt!

77% VS
100% (Poison Heal)

Huh? Taunt? Did he think Crimson was a set up sweeper or something? I can’t think of any reason why he’d use it otherwise. Sure it reduces Nappa to only Scald and would cripple Yosei, but I’d be crazy to bring Yosei out and I’d be using Scald with Nappa anyway. Well, I’m not complaining. Spray your hot load Nappa! >:D

Start of turn 34

Nappa used Scald!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 13% of its health!
The foe's Ferrothorn was burned!

84% VS
73% (Burned)

FINALLY! How many times have I scalded that thing? That will make dealing with it a lot easier. Again, with Thor so crippled, I really only have one option for a switch in. Go Yosei!

Start of turn 35

Yosei lost 26 HP! (6% of its health)

75% VS
67% (Burned)

Well Yosei is getting a little low on health, so I think it’s time to use Wish regardless of what he does. Even if I can’t keep him in because he switches to Britscor, I’ll be able to heal up something else on my team, including Thor who desperately needs it.

Start of turn 36

Yosei used Wish!

81% VS
99% (Poison Heal)

And sure enough, out comes the that annoying British bat. Thor really needs that health and can potentially force it out again, so I’m going to switch to him.

Start of turn 37

The foe's Britscor used Swords Dance!
The foe's Britscor's Attack sharply rose!

Yosei's wish came true!

58% VS
100% (Poison heal, +2 Attack)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh crap. Crap crap crap crap CRAP! That just like that he’s got Thor on the ropes. I think I’m going to have to sack him here. It’s not like I need him to take out anything else on his team anyway; Britscor is really the only one I was keeping him for. Here’s hoping for a miracle and that somehow Thor survives!

Start of turn 38
Thor fell for the taunt!

Thor used Hurricane!
The foe's Britscor lost 71% of its health!

64% VS
41% (Poison Heal, +2 Attack)

O.O

Why....? What did he think I was going to do? Did he think he’d somehow cripple Nappa on the switch with that? I’m just as baffled as the last time he did it, and even more grateful. I might not have confused him this time, but it did heavy damage, putting him into easy KO range by Scald from Nappa. Of course I can’t just switch Nappa in though and risk taking an Earthquake. Here’s hoping he over-predicts...

Start of turn 39
The foe's Britscor used Ice Fang!
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Thor lost 255 HP! (67% of its health)
Thor fainted!

Current Score: 3-5, advantage Darkmaster77
Crimson [Terrakion] 87%, Yosei [Jirachi] 75%, Forretress 0% (Fainted), Naginni [Vaporeon] 0% (Fainted), Nappa [Politoed] 72%, Thor [Dragonite] 0% (Fainted)
VS. El LOCO [Lucario] 0% (Fainted), Weavile 100%, Starmie 80%, Britscor [Gliscor] 53% (Poison Heal), Ferrothorn 69% (Burned), Latios 67%

0% ==>
71% VS
54% (Poison Heal, +2 Attack)

And there goes Thor. For a thunder god he really didn’t manage to do much this match. Well, his last act might have been his greatest, because now Nappa has a chance to put an end to this. First I need to use Protect for the extra bit of health from Leftovers, to make sure I survive the incoming Earthquake.

Start of turn 40
Nappa used Protect!
Nappa protected itself!

Nappa protected itself!

77% VS
66% (Poison Heal, +2 Attack)

Here’s hoping that I’m not overestimating Nappa’s bulk, since him hitting Britscor with Scald is my only chance. I hope this British loaf likes his tea hot!

Start of turn 41
Nappa lost 216 HP! (56% of its health)

Nappa used Scald!
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
The foe's Britscor lost 66% of its health!
The foe's Britscor fainted!

Current Score: 3-4, advantage Darkmaster77
Crimson [Terrakion] 87%, Yosei [Jirachi] 81%, Forretress 0% (Fainted), Naginni [Vaporeon] 0% (Fainted), Nappa [Politoed] 28%, Thor [Dragonite] 0% (Fainted)
VS. El LOCO [Lucario] 0% (Fainted), Weavile 100%, Starmie 80%, Britscor [Gliscor] 0% (Fainted), Ferrothorn 61% (Burned), Latios 67%

28% VS 0% ==> 61%
(Burned)

YES! I think it would’ve gone down without the crit, but I might have just haxed my way to survival. Looks like Nappa is sticking around for a little bit longer baby!

Anyway, he’s brought out Ferrothorn again. Seeing as Nappa has become suddenly so usefu, I’d be loath to lose him so I think I’ll use Protect to get myself some extra healing. What’s he going to do if I Protect anyway? He’s already got rocks up.

Start of turn 42
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Latios!

Nappa used Protect!
But it failed!

34% VS
54%

... Well he could do that. Looks like Nappa might be going down after all, since I still can’t afford to swap anything into Latios’ attacks. With Gliscor gone, Nappa is looking to be the least useful member on my team at this point. Yosei is needed to deal with Ferrothorn and once Ferrothorn is dealt with I can sweep the rest of his team with X-Scissor from Crimson. I can’t use Protect again reliably, so I’ll go for the Toxic just in case he uses Surf. It really shouldn’t matter since he’s in easy KO range from Crimson at this point, but it doesn’t hurt to go down fighting.

Start of turn 43
Nappa lost 111 HP! (28% of its health)

Nappa used Toxic!
The foe's Latios was poisoned!

12% VS
47% (Toxic)

Oh ho, look at that, he did choose Surf! I’d probably have made the same choice, since it could have OHKO’d my other two pokemon and he probably thought it would KO Nappa too. I guess I’ll just spam Protect now and rack up as much toxic damage as I can before I send out Crimson to clean up the rest of his team.

Start of turn 44
Nappa used Protect!
Nappa protected itself!

Nappa protected itself!

18% VS
35% (Toxic)

Alright, this turn Nappa is headed out.

Start of turn 45
Nappa used Protect!
Nappa protected itself!

Nappa protected itself!

25% VS
16% (Toxic)

Or not? Well there’s no way it will happen again, I mean -

Start of turn 46
Nappa used Protect!
Nappa protected itself!

Nappa protected itself!

The foe's Latios is hurt by poison!
The foe's Latios fainted!

Jimera0: wow
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Ferrothorn!

Jimera0: ok I'm calling hax on that

O.O ^^^^^^ what I said during the fight pretty much covers that.

Current Score: 3-3, Tie
Crimson [Terrakion] 87%, Yosei [Jirachi] 81%, Forretress 0% (Fainted), Naginni [Vaporeon] 0% (Fainted), Nappa [Politoed] 31%, Thor [Dragonite] 0% (Fainted)
VS. El LOCO [Lucario] 0% (Fainted), Weavile 100%, Starmie 80%, Britscor [Gliscor] 0% (Fainted), Ferrothorn 54% (Burned), Latios 0% (Fainted)

31% VS
0% ==>
54% (Burned)

Nappa has proven himself to be above and beyond the average Politoed in this match! Maybe he deserves a name change. Super Frog maybe? No? Too cheesy? Well alright...

All joking aside, he’s got that annoying Ferrothorn out again. I’d switch to Crimson if I could be sure he wouldn’t KO me on the switch with Gyro Ball or Power Whip, and if I could be sure that I’d KO his Starmie with Close Combat. But since I can’t be sure of either and I need to keep Crimson alive, I’ll switch to Yosei instead.

Start of turn 47

Yosei was seeded!

68% (Seeded) VS
62% (Burned)

I really want to get this spiky annoyance out of the way so I can sweep with Crimson already, so I’m going to see how much damage my super secret attack does even without any Calm Mind boosts. It’s super effective, so there’s a chance I’ll be able to just spam it until it’s dead. If not, well, I don’t see myself getting OHKO’d by anything he’s got in the immediate future.

Start of turn 48
Yosei used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Ferrothorn lost 25% of its health!

Yosei lost 26 HP! (6% of its health)

56% (Seeded) VS
44% (Burned)

Bah, not enough. I don’t want to risk fainting from combined leach seed and attack damage before I can KO him. Back to the old Wish + Calm Mind pattern.

Start of turn 49
Yosei used Wish!

Yosei lost 25 HP! (6% of its health)

43% (Seeded) VS
52% (Burned)

So far so good

Start of turn 50
Yosei used Calm Mind!
Yosei's Sp. Att. rose!
Yosei's Sp. Def. rose!

Yosei lost 24 HP! (5% of its health)

Yosei's wish came true!

81% (Seeded, +1 Sp. Attack, +1 Sp. Defence) VS
60% (Burned)

Your turns are numbered, you thorny devil.

Start of turn 51
Darkmaster77 sent out Starmie!

Yosei used Wish!

75% (Seeded, +1 Sp. Attack, +1 Sp. Defence) VS
93%

Wait, what? Does he not realize I carry Thunder? I mean it’s pretty standard on rain teams... His Starmie doesn’t stand a chance.

Start of turn 52
The foe's Starmie used Rapid Spin!
Yosei lost 4 HP! (0% of its health)
The foe's Starmie blew away Stealth Rock!

Yosei used Thunder!
It's super effective!
The foe's Starmie lost 93% of its health!
The foe's Starmie fainted!

Yosei's wish came true!

Darkmaster77 sent out DracoSlayer! (Weavile)
The foe's DracoSlayer is exerting its Pressure!

100% (Seeded, +1 Sp. Attack, +1 Sp. Defence) VS
0% ==>
100%

Ohhhh I see, he was clearing out Stealth Rock so his Weavile could come in. What move does it have that would make him think he could take Jirachi out? Maybe he’s counting on a 2HKO, thinking I can’t take him out in one hit using Thunder? Well, he’d be wrong even if it weren’t for my Hidden Power, but with it his destruction is secured!

Start of turn 53
The foe's DracoSlayer used Punishment!
Yosei lost 183 HP! (45% of its health)

Yosei used Hidden Power (Fighting)!
It's super effective!
The foe's DracoSlayer lost 100% of its health!
The foe's DracoSlayer fainted!

61% (Seeded, +1 Sp. Attack, +1 Sp. Defence) VS
0% ==>
61% (Burned)

Some of you likely figured it out by now, but the secret move I’ve been building up is Hidden Power Fighting, an odd choice on Jirachi. Usually they run either Hidden Power Fire, or Water Pulse (or at least Hidden Power Ice) in rain. However I’ve found that Hidden Power Fighting is more useful in many circumstances, especially considering I have other checks on my team for the Pokemon that are weak to Hidden Power Ice and I already have two STAB water type attacks. Dealing with Ferrothorn and Tyranitar is far more important to my team, and it allows me to net a lot of surprise KO’s on opponents expecting a different move. It has surprisingly good coverage with Thunder too, with only Landorus and Gliscor resisting the combination in OU if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, enough about that. With that move, I have the game secured. For once I’m glad I only had one Calm Mind up; if I had more I might not have survived that Punishment. I don’t think I’m going to immediately attack though, just to be safe. I can tank this Ferrothorn all the way to +6 if I feel like it.

Start of turn 54
Yosei used Wish!

It doesn't affect Yosei...

Aaaaand BOOM he disconnects before the turn can finish. Well, I guess he saw the writing on the wall too!

That was a really good fight, and I thought for sure I was finished for a while there. In the end it turned into a brilliant comeback victory for me. I’m sure some people will complain about the hax, but really, most of it was in the “irrelevant” category, with crits usually occurring when KO’s would have occurred anyway and the bizarre protect hax that would not have likely affected the outcome of the match in any case.

So it looks like it’s time for the Props and Slops!

Props:
- Nappa the Politoed for tanking hits I never thought he could
- Reasonable hax that somehow managed to actually be entertaining without affecting the outcome unfairly
- Darkmaster77 for keeping his Gliscor and Ferrothorn alive for so long, preventing Crimson from getting the sweep he so desperately desired.
- Yosei, for keeping everyone else in the team healthy and securing the win with her unorthodox move choice

Slops:
- Me for sacking Forretress for no good reason, leaving Stealth Rock on my side of the field for the rest of the match
- Britscor for trash talking when he should have been fighting! How very un-gentlemanly of you!
- Me for forgetting Stealth Rock and getting Thor crippled
- Darkmaster77 for not letting me Calm Mind up more before using Punishment. A couple more and Yosei might not have survived so easily.

MVP:

You thought it was going to be Nappa the Super Frog didn’t you? While Nappa certainly impressed with his durability and pluck, it was all thanks to Yosei’s healing that he was able to do it. Add the fact that Yosei ultimately took out half (or would have had he not disconnected) of his team at the end by herself, and you have our MVP for the match!

Well I hope you lot enjoyed my first warstory and that I didn’t screw up too much, what with it being my first one and all. I really hope you don’t mind the significant misplays, as I think that they actually add a bit of character and unpredictability to the story. In any case, I’m open to constructive criticism, so feel free to (tactfully) tell me ways I could improve in your replies!

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
not a bad warstory as they go so grats on that. As pointed out however the protect hax was exceptionally annoying not to mention you opponents Taunt misplays. Good read tho

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I'd say 9/10. I really liked your commentary, but the battle could be a teeny weeny bit better. Don't take it hard, though!

The only thing I didn't like was when you omitted things from the log. I'm probably the only one, but I hate when people do that. Much better to put the log in size tags than to omit possibly crucial information.

Protect spam really did a number on this war story with the hax it did... but it didn't make me hate it. Also, him disconnecting, although he had it lost at that point, definitely is kind of an annoyance.

Overall though, nice war story, good predictions... Very successful.

I'd say 9/10. I really liked your commentary, but the battle could be a teeny weeny bit better. Don't take it hard, though!

The only thing I didn't like was when you omitted things from the log. I'm probably the only one, but I hate when people do that. Much better to put the log in size tags than to omit possibly crucial information.
Oh I didn't omit anything you couldn't have figured out for yourself. For instance, the leftovers only appear once, and there's no point in putting SR damage when you already know the rocks are up. And I don't think anyone is going to be upset at me for omitting the omnipresent "The rain continues to fall" message :P. I just realized I might have removed ALL of Lucario's Life Orb messages (EDIT: Nope, I didn't nvm), so I might need to go back and fix that, but other than that it's all just repetitive stuff. I didn't omit any turns or anything :P

As for the protect spam, I almost found it more hilarious than annoying. I've never had it work 4 times in a row before, and ultimately I don't think it made much of a difference. At that point the game was pretty much secure. It was just a little bit of a WTF moment lol.

Anyway, glad you guys liked it, and at least the only issues you seem to have with it is the battle I chose. That means I did something right when writing it at least XD, I just need to pick a more ideal battle next time.

Great commentary, nice format.

Battle was so-so, and you really really disappointed when you exploited the Protect Spam glitch of Pokemon Online.

It was a pretty good warstory, but it got really confusing when you kept referring to your Pokemon by their nicknames. I'd suggest sticking with their species the majority of the time.

It was a pretty good warstory, but it got really confusing when you kept referring to your Pokemon by their nicknames. I'd suggest sticking with their species the majority of the time.
bawwww but I work hard on those nicknames D:

But really, I understand where you're coming from. Part of it is I actually start to think of them by their nicknames when I'm playing with them... and writing about them. I don't even notice sometimes when I use my nickname instead of their species name. Naginni and Yosei are probably the biggest culprits here :P I'm starting to think of all Jirachi as "Yosei" at this point XD.

And thanks for bumping this thing out of the blue for me XD I was just going to let it fade into obscurity. I'll keep your advice on the nick names in mind for the next war story I write; I'm not bothering editing this old thing anymore.

Great commentary, nice format.

Battle was so-so, and you really really disappointed when you exploited the Protect Spam glitch of Pokemon Online.
Oi, I just noticed this just now even though that post is a little old. That isn't a glitch man, Protect always has a chance to succeed when you use it in succession, the chance of it succeeding just halves every time you use it. It's no bug that it could occur four times in a row; it's just really damn unlikely.

Quote from Bulbapedia:

"Generation V

Protect no longer has a minimum success rate, and still has 50% decay, which now includes Quick Guard and Wide Guard as well.[3]"

That means that not only does protect's success rate decay by 50% every turn you use it in a row, that rate continues to decay indefinitely. Unless PO is screwy (and I don't think it is, as usually consecutive protects in my experience don't work more than twice in a row), I don't know where you're getting your information from.

EDIT: from Psypokes

"Almost always goes first. The user is protected from all attacks for one turn, but the move's success rate halves with each consecutive use of Protect, Detect or Endure. If a Pokemon has No Guard, or used Lock-On or Mind Reader against the user during the previous turn, its attack has a [100 - move's normal accuracy]% chance to hit through Protect; OHKO moves do not benefit from this effect. Blizzard has a 30% to hit through this move during Hail, as does Thunder during Rain Dance."ssure, Doom Desire (delayed damage only), Future Sight (delayed damage only), Feint, Imprison, Perish Song, Psych Up, Shadow Force, Transform

Serebii also says somethign similar, but for some reason copy/pasting from there doesn't work very well.

So yes, it was haxy, but no, it wasn't some sort of bug abuse.

Yery good warstory, in spite of the haxy protects. Either way though, you would have revenged killed Latios with Terrakion or sacked everything but Yosei until it died via Toxic, so I give you a 8.9/10

honestly i thought the weird taunt uses by your opponent were more detrimental to the quality of the story than the protect hax.

Very enjoyable warstory !

I don't get most of the comments you've received so far though. Protect "hax" ? Really now ? Politoed was just grabbing some free Toxic damage for Terrakion to muscle past Latios anyway, as Daedalus pointed out. That Protect was a non-event if you look at the big picture.

The useless Taunts were just Jimera's opponent mispredicting. X-Scissor on Terrakion is like a big "CHOICED" neon, and he knew nobody in their right mind is letting a NVE-locked Terrakion stay in against a Gliscor. I admit the second one against Dragonite was a bit baffling. Maybe he expected a switch to Jirachi in fear of the incoming Ice Fang, which wasn't an extravagant guess as he would have outsped and cleanly killed Nite. It seems he was overly eager to shut down Yosei.

As for nicknames, I didn't find them problematic since you clearly stated who was who. People are used to memorizing names and associating them to characters in movies or any kind of story anyway, so do use them if you like ! Britscor VS Froggy (geddit ?) would've been hilarious, and I was already chuckling at the title.

If I were so bold as to give a piece of advice, it would be not to forget that your opponent has SR up ! Well, anyway you didn't have any real choice apart from sacrificing something to get Terrakion in safely, but you kinda lost your nerves under Latios' pressure.
Now clearly concentration can be affected by thousands of things (not going to throw the stone, heh) and it was no big deal that time, but I think it bears mentioning just in case.

Hope I managed to be constructive. Once more, great job !

I like your sense of humour and narrative style.
My rating is 8/10, simply because I don't give 10 because nothing's perfect, or 9 because I'm inherently a negative person.
8 is really quite good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)