Super Smash Bros. Brawl Discussion #2 (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question:

In Mario Strikers Charged and Pokemon Battle Revolution, was WiFi restricted to your region only, or was it worldwide?

The first WiFi Dojo update Sakurai said that playing against someone in Japan from America would be laggy, etc., but I'm not sure if he meant that he scrapped worldwide connection, or was just warning people?

If Strikers / PBR are region restricted, it might mean Brawl is too, maybe... Hopefully not though.

Question:

In Mario Strikers Charged and Pokemon Battle Revolution, was WiFi restricted to your region only, or was it worldwide?

The first WiFi Dojo update Sakurai said that playing against someone in Japan from America would be laggy, etc., but I'm not sure if he meant that he scrapped worldwide connection, or was just warning people?

If Strikers / PBR are region restricted, it might mean Brawl is too, maybe... Hopefully not though.
Strikers was, PBR was not.

I'm going to say this at the risk of being wrong or shot, but apparently Sakurai has said that he will (has by now) looked into Geno and what the character's about...so IF this is true, then at least he has considered Geno as a character. I dunno where I heard this, I've forgotten by now as it was several months ago.

Wouldn't be surprised if he were just an AT though...
yea, I've heard that too actually, no clue if it's true though :/ . I could see him being an AT as well, though his popularity (especially in Japan) makes me wonder if he won't make it as playable. He really is in a different tier than the other AT characters as far as popularity goes.

Something else that really pulls for Geno is Sakurai's journal (if you would call it that). Sakurai basically posted the most interesting entries that people sent in for requesting characters. 5 of them talked about Geno, tying him for the most entries along with King Dedede. I don't know how much weight that carries, but as far as that goes he's up there with the big dogs.

I'd be satisfied if Geno got the AT treatment. I never played SMRPG so obviously I'm somewhat biased due to not knowing Geno (save a Wikipedia page on him that explained the backstory), but I think that his inclusion over any other third party character that is much more deserving (Megaman, etc...) is just stupid. As an AT he can still do a lot of stuff, which is fine by me.
I agree, even though I like him I'd never choose him over a gaming icon such as Megaman. But the two really aren't in competition with each other - Geno isn't truly 3rd party and there isn't a set number of "third party slots" anyways.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree, even though I like him I'd never choose him over a gaming icon such as Megaman. But the two really aren't in competition with each other - Geno isn't truly 3rd party and there isn't a set number of "third party slots" anyways.
Actually, there is. Two to three 3rd Party characters.

His situation is a bit more complex than that though. He is owned by Square Enix, but at the same time he is a Mario character. He is actually completely useless to Square Enix because Nintedno owns all Mario scenarios, meaning that Square can't use him without Nintendo's permission because he is of the Mario universe.

So yea, the situation is pretty unique, and I personally don't know what the ramifications of it are. This stuff is way over my head @_@
Oh, yeah, I understand that Geno's not a straight-out third-party character; the fact that his case is unique does mean he's not strictly a first-party character, either, though and for Nintendo to use him Square Enix would technically need to okay Geno's use.

Not as though that would prevent Geno from being in Brawl, of course; Sakurai would indeed need Square Enix's permission to use Geno, but if he did ask, I see little reason for them to say no to his request.

Sonuis

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I thought that was per franchise? Maybe I'm wrong; I haven't read the journals in a while.
"Will you be adding more than one third party character?"

"I'm considering the possibilities. If I do, I'll end up with one, maybe two more..."

Something around those lines.

Is there like an exact place on the site where they show the latest new? I tried searching for it, but couldn't find it. I'm always missing out on the latest news and I don't want to seach through everyone's posts to see what new thing just happened.

Sonuis

Is there like an exact place on the site where they show the latest new? I tried searching for it, but couldn't find it. I'm always missing out on the latest news and I don't want to search through everyone's posts to see what new thing just happened.
It's from awhile ago. You can find it on the Smash World forums somewhere, as some guy translated Mr. Sakurai's blog. The SSBB part that is.

Oh, yeah, I understand that Geno's not a straight-out third-party character; the fact that his case is unique does mean he's not strictly a first-party character, either, though and for Nintendo to use him Square Enix would technically need to okay Geno's use.

Not as though that would prevent Geno from being in Brawl, of course; Sakurai would indeed need Square Enix's permission to use Geno, but if he did ask, I see little reason for them to say no to his request.
True, in the end it's up to Square to say "yes" or "no".
.... Though I heard one guy saying that since Geno is a Mario character Square couldn't refuse.... though I don't see how that would work because in the end Square does own him...

Actually, there is. Two to three 3rd Party characters.
well, here's Samurai Panda's translation:

"#31-40: Sakurai starts by saying there wont be any manga characters. Then he begins talking about other companies characters to appear in the game. Among other things, Sakurai says that the character MUST have appeared on a Nintendo platform before. And to literally translate the last sentence (keep in mind this is in reference to the characters from other companies): "Anyways, at most we'll add another 1-2 characters [after Snake], maybe?"

"Sakurai said it as a question, so it could still change. But now we at least have a ballpark of how many non-Nintendo chars will be added.""

Like that says, 2-3 third parties total was just an educated guess, not official, end-of-discussion word. Considering how old that statement is, things could very well have changed..... though we can probably expect to have around that amount.
And anyways, Sakurai isn't going to say "aw man, I'd love to put this character in but I ran out of slots..."

Can I get the link please? It would be real appreciated.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642&highlight=samurai+panda
I think that's what you're looking for

For people wondering who the hell Geno is (like me about 5 minutes ago), here is the Wiki for him. He seems like he could be a really interesting character, with the ability to change into different forms ect.

For people wondering who the hell Geno is (like me about 5 minutes ago), here is the Wiki for him. He seems like he could be a really interesting character, with the ability to change into different forms ect.
lol, that was me, too. Geno would be pretty cool to use, but he has a small problem of games that he's in; only 2. Shouldn't be that big of a problem, though, as his fanbase does seem very large.

This sparked a question for me: Is Super Mario RPG coming out for Virtual Console any time soon?

I played Super Mario RPG, and i think Geno is a great character, but i wouldn't want more Mario franchise characters (because i think he will get the Mario icon and stuff); i would like other Mario series characters playable before him.

AT would be ideal, shooting his Geno beam (iirc?).

I agree, there are a lot of other Mario characters out there that have been in many more games and are much more "important" to the series...stuff like Toad, Bowser Jr., and Birdo (lol) come to mind...

Well thanks for the Wiki page... I read it, but I don't see why he should be in it or why people want him to be in it so much. He's not a main character or anything...

What about that Mallow cloud thing? Its kind of cute. ^.^;

Birdo and Bowser Jr. would be great additions imo.

Birdo could be a slower, heavier version of Yoshi. Rather than using her tongue, she'll shoot eggs, maybe a move using the bow in her head? Maybe she can shoot flames .. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)