Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Darkrai drops to OU, I'm using it. Not because of its power, but because I FUCKING HATE GHOLDENGO
:sv/gholdengo:
I'm gonna make this string cheese bastard suffer every waking moment of its life because I hate this thing.

Darkrai @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot

You best watch your back OU. Darkrai is inbound

Me being the sole user of Forretress in OU (I miss Ferrothorn so I need to use Market Basket Ferrothorn)

Also, how do you even find this
You need to have your Smogon and Showdown accounts linked, and then you'll find the option in the Smogon main page, but it only works if you've sent Finch at least 3 death threats via DM over the year.

Alternatively, it takes 45 minutes of your afternoon and lots of struggling to format correctly on mobile.

First ive been playing competitive since gen 5 and second I dont understand what is your point when bringing other gens broken stuff ¿?

We all talking about gen 9 meta, the most powercrept gen ever, and its future, so i dont see whats your point?

Like if you disagree with my Darkrai/Ape/Deoxys statements about considering testing them in OU why not just explain why you think they would be broken?

Some people just seem to talk and complain without giving any kind of real arguments.

Sometimes I wish there was some thread with a minimum ELO requirement to post.
Damn, you having played since Gen 5 and still thinking that Gholdengo would have been 100% banned quickly makes what you said even dumber. You're literally the one that brought up how Gholdengo and shit would have been banned right away in any other generation and I showed that wasn't a guarantee at all by just looking at previous gens ban history. Maybe don't say dumb shit and then whine that it's an entirely irrelevent part of your post when someone tells you you're wrong lol

Damn, you having played since Gen 5 and still thinking that Gholdengo would have been 100% banned quickly makes what you said even dumber. You're literally the one that brought up how Gholdengo and shit would have been banned right away in any other generation and I showed that wasn't a guarantee at all by just looking at previous gens ban history. Maybe don't say dumb shit and then whine that it's an entirely irrelevent part of your post when someone tells you you're wrong lol
Firstly Try to be less rude…
Second

Ive seen a rise of sticky web team, this is pretty strong rn, especially with cheeseman, but it will be always strong ? If Gholdengo is banned, imo this will be still strong

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
So here's a couple of mons I've been seeing gaining some more usage on the ladder lately:

Likely to rise
  • :garganacl: - Garg just doing its typical Garg stuff, it's becoming very popular in Balance and BO teams and it still relies quite a lot on Tera, although it's a very good commitment as one of the best abusers of the mechanic.
  • :tornadus-therian: - It runs mainly three sets: Fast Utility-Pivot with 4 attacks (Hurricane/Bleakwind Storm, Heatwave, Knock Off, U-turn) or 3 attacks + Taunt, both running HDB; Fast Special Sweeper with NP, 3 attacks (Hurricane, Focus Blast and Weather Ball/Tera Blast) and HDB, very popular in Rain teams; classic AV set with 4 attacks.
Might rise
  • :garchomp: - Now that Gliscor has been banned, some Balance/Offensive strategies have started using it once again as an Hazard Setter with Rocky Helmet, but I think the offensive set might be even more popular, and it can be quite threatening as a Sweeper with Loaded Dice, SD and 3 attacks.
  • :clodsire: - An evergreen for Stall teams, it replaced Gliscor as a Spikes setter with Toxic, while also running Water Absorb to check Waterpon or Unaware to stop Special Sweepers. Not very successful outside of Stall though.
  • :skeledirge: - Dirge has gained some traction on more Balance-oriented teams, especially as a check to some Set-up Sweepers with Unaware + Will-O-Wisp, mainly for Valiant, Iron Moth, Rillaboom and Zamazenta. It can potentially check other offensive threats, but it relies heavily on Tera and unlike Garg it's not always a good pick for it.
Unlikely to rise
  • :arcanine-hisui: - Incredibly threatening when it gets a good chance to enter the field safely, Banded H-Arcanine is one of the most powerful wallbreakers in the meta, but unfortunately it often disappoints due to its quite lacking Speed (compared to the very common fast threats in OU), therefore being often vulnerable to getting Revenge-Killed. It's also sometimes used as a less-common Stealth Rock lead with Sash, but it just gets completely outclassed by Hamurott.
  • :maushold: - This thing is either completely useless or a huge fucking menace. It's popular on HO and some other strategies due to Tidy Up being one of the best moves to clear Hazards from the field (since it bypasses Dengo), and also because it hits like a fucking nuke. It might be unreliable, but on good match-ups it's one of the most threaning mons on a team. Just pray that your opponent isn't running Rocky Helmet.
  • :slowking: - The basic one, it's only used on Stall and some other more defensive-oriented teams over it's glowing counterpart because of Scald. It's really only because of that.
Notable mentions
  • :goodra-hisui: - Slap an AV on this thing and it becomes a beast, being able to easily check almost every Special threat in the tier, from Specs Valiant to Enamorus, Gholdengo, Specs Pult, Gren, Iron Moth, Manaphy, Wake and Zaptres. Goodra-H is also one of the best niche answers to Ogerpon, regardless of the form, and even Rillaboom because of Sap Sipper.
  • :salamence: - Recently faced my boy on high ladder a surprisingly high number of times, it's a niche pick that functions as a Physical wall with Intimidate + Roost, being able to check and threaten the likes of Tusk (not running Ice Spinner), Rillaboom, Ogerpon, Zamazenta, Landorus and potentially Gambit. With Dragon Tail it can also prevent Sweepers from setting up.

So what are you guys' thoughts on the mons mentioned above? Have you noticed some other stuff increasing in usage lately? Do you like one mon in particular from the lower tiers?

So here's a couple of mons I've been seeing gaining some more usage on the ladder lately:

Likely to rise
  • :garganacl: - Garg just doing its typical Garg stuff, it's becoming very popular in Balance and BO teams and it still relies quite a lot on Tera, although it's a very good commitment as one of the best abusers of the mechanic.
  • :tornadus-therian: - It runs mainly three sets: Fast Utility-Pivot with 4 attacks (Hurricane/Bleakwind Storm, Heatwave, Knock Off, U-turn) or 3 attacks + Taunt, both running HDB; Fast Special Sweeper with NP, 3 attacks (Hurricane, Focus Blast and Weather Ball/Tera Blast) and HDB, very popular in Rain teams; classic AV set with 4 moves.
Might rise
  • :garchomp: - Now that Gliscor has been banned, some Balance/Offensive strategies have started using it once again as an Hazard Setter with Rocky Helmet, but I think the offensive set might be even more popular, and it can be quite threatening as a Sweeper with Loaded Dice, SD and 3 attacks.
  • :clodsire: - An evergreen for Stall teams, it replaced Gliscor as a Spikes setter with Toxic, while also running Water Absorb to check Waterpon or Unaware to stop Special Sweepers. Not very successful outside of Stall though.
  • :skeledirge: - Dirge has gained some traction on more Balance-oriented teams, especially as a check to some Set-up Sweepers with Unaware + Will-O-Wisp, mainly for Valiant, Iron Moth, Rillaboom and Zamazenta. It can potentially check other offensive threats, but it relies heavily on Tera and unlike Garg it's not always a good pick for it.
Unlikely to rise
  • :arcanine-hisui: - Incredibly threatening when it gets a good chance to enter the field safely, Banded H-Arcanine is one of the most powerful wallbreakers in the meta, but unfortunately it often disappoints due to its quite lacking Speed (compared to the very common fast threats in OU), therefore being often vulnerable to getting Revenge-Killed. It's also sometimes used as a less-common Stealth Rock lead with Sash, but it just gets completely outclassed by Hamurott.
  • :maushold: - This thing is either completely useless or a huge fucking menace. It's popular on HO and some other strategies due to Tidy Up being one of the best moves to clear Hazards from the field (since it bypasses Dengo), and also because it hits like a fucking nuke. Might be unreliable, but on good match-ups it's one of the most threaning mons on a team. Just pray that your opponent isn't running Rocky Helmet.
  • :slowking: - The basic one, it's only used on Stall and some other more defensive-oriented teams over it's glowing counterpart because of Scald. It's really only because of that.
Notable mentions
  • :goodra-hisui: - Slap an AV on this thing and it becomes a beast, being able to easily check almost every Special threat in the tier, from Specs Valiant to Enamorus, Gholdengo, Specs Pult, Gren, Iron Moth, Manaphy, Wake and Zaptres. Goodra-H is also one of the best niche answers to Ogerpon, regardless of the form, and even Rillaboom because of Sap Sipper.
  • :salamence: - Recently faced my boy on high ladder a surprisingly high number of times, it's a niche pick that functions as a Physical wall with Intimidate + Roost, being able to check and threaten the likes of Tusk (not running Ice Spinner), Rillaboom, Ogerpon, Zamazenta, Landorus and potentially Gambit. With Dragon Tail it can also prevent Sweepers from setting up.

So what are you guys' thoughts on the mons mentioned above? Have you noticed some other stuff increasing in usage lately? Do you like one mon in particular from the lower tiers?
Both have there niche, my favorite is salamence because underscreen it can be unstoppable, goodra Spedef AV is good against moth (which u think it will be broken later) maushold nuke everything at +2, arcanine is entirely walled by tusk but I really like use him

Likely to rise
  • :tornadus-therian: - It runs mainly three sets: Fast Utility-Pivot with 4 attacks (Hurricane/Bleakwind Storm, Heatwave, Knock Off, U-turn) or 3 attacks + Taunt, both running HDB; Fast Special Sweeper with NP, 3 attacks (Hurricane, Focus Blast and Weather Ball/Tera Blast) and HDB, very popular in Rain teams; classic AV set with 4 attacks.
Might rise
Unlikely to rise
  • :maushold: - This thing is either completely useless or a huge fucking menace. It's popular on HO and some other strategies due to Tidy Up being one of the best moves to clear Hazards from the field (since it bypasses Dengo), and also because it hits like a fucking nuke. It might be unreliable, but on good match-ups it's one of the most threaning mons on a team. Just pray that your opponent isn't running Rocky Helmet.
Notable mentions

I have been seeing both Defensive Mence and Defensive D-Nite on the ladder more for the same reason of acting as a switch-in to Rillaboom, Tusk, Zamazenta, and the like. Unfortunately, I think both suffer from most Tusk still running Ice Spinner, even with Gliscor banned, and Hurricane being a terrible STAB attack. IMO Defensive Moltres is still the better pick over both of them, even with the terrible Knock Off weakness, because of its access to Wisp, better STAB in Flamethrower, and U-Turn, while still being able to run Roar if it needs to. It can even survive Ogerpon's Ivy Cudgel from full if it needs to and land an emergency Wisp.

I have been seeing both Defensive Mence and Defensive D-Nite on the ladder more for the same reason of acting as a switch-in to Rillaboom, Tusk, Zamazenta, and the like. Unfortunately, I think both suffer from most Tusk still running Ice Spinner, even with Gliscor banned, and Hurricane being a terrible STAB attack. IMO Defensive Moltres is still the better pick over both of them, even with the terrible Knock Off weakness, because of its access to Wisp, better STAB in Flamethrower, and U-Turn, while still being able to run Roar if it needs to. It can even survive Ogerpon's Ivy Cudgel from full if it needs to and land an emergency Wisp.
Isn’t the point to have a Wellspring check while also having a check for the others mentioned?

goodra Spedef AV is good against moth (which u think it will be broken later)
Brother just use heatran
Look ma, it's me! I will say that you do need to specifically invest in defense to not get eaten by Ogerpon at +0 def (relevant to say bc curse). In my testing, 104 HP 252+ Def 104 SpA (for the times you want to click Draco Meteor) is the best spread for this objectively terrible Ogerpon answer, but you could definitely use other spreads if you're better at seeing calcs than I am.

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
Saw someone talk about the slowking so made a set and am trying to find teammates that work
Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Ground/Steel/Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Slack Off
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall
Was thinking about Valiant and Gambit to complete the psy/fight/dark triad, but what afterwards? Hazard setters are abound and afar all the same ngl, and something about doubling down on a type or two just irks me with Hrott

viivian

flying through space
is a Tiering Contributor

Likely to rise
Might rise
Unlikely to rise
Notable mentions

i dont see clodsire rising but the rest do check out. although i am confused on why ive been seeing so much of base salamence on the ladder lately, and it feels even stranger that im not the only one who noticed its increased usage. i dont even see defensive variants like what you described, its always either a DD sweeper or a special attacker whenever i see it

Firstly Try to be less rude…

Ive seen a rise of sticky web team, this is pretty strong rn, especially with cheeseman, but it will be always strong ? If Gholdengo is banned, imo this will be still strong
sticky web teams would be so much less frustrating without Gholdengo because A: you could actually fucking remove their hazard with defog with no obstacles (unless they start using defiant kingambit lmao) and B: the ghosts that could spinblock would either be so much less frustrating. I think ribombee will drop once capitalism gaming is banned

sticky web teams would be so much less frustrating without Gholdengo because A: you could actually fucking remove their hazard with defog with no obstacles (unless they start using defiant kingambit lmao) and B: the ghosts that could spinblock would either be so much less frustrating. I think ribombee will drop once capitalism gaming is banned
Sticky Webs teams are down bad rn. Boots Zamazenta completely annihilates these structures, and a fair few other mons like Ting-Lu and Cinderace are also very annoying for them to deal with. I think its very likely that Ribombee would fall out of OU next month if there wasn't a DLC tier shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)