Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad that the dlc gave scyther back its best move:dual wingbeat.

dual wingbeat+technician+choice band+tera flying hits like a truck even resists.
it is finally somewhat usable in OU even though it is never going to see enough usage to enter it.

anyway, I don't understand why some people think that ogerpon fire is ban worthy, that thing is not even close to as busted as ursaluna, and ursaluna didn't even manage to stay in OU.
in fact it wasn't even banned from UU.

EDIT:okay, I admit that this comparison is bad.
But fire ogrepon still has flaws keeping it back from being banworty.
Both of its best grass type stab attacks have their flaws(reduced accuracy and recoil), it needs to be holding a specific item, it is locked to one tera type,and each set it runs has exploitable weaknesses.
Now, if hazards are the ACTUALLY problem, then maybe they should be suspect tested.
do you mean just the ceaseless edge or all the hazards?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t run Blissey anyways until it getd its movepool fixed.
But I see Gholdengo similar to Landorus-T in a way. Where as you trade off being a stronger check or counter to X, Y, and Z, and become a check to A, B, C, D, K, L, O, W, X, Y, and Z. With Gholdengo being able to deal with a wider range of Pokemon, it makes teambuilding less constraining. If you have 5 mons and your answers to Sneasler, Iron Valiant, Enamorus, Zapdos, Zamazenta, Meowscarada, Hatterene, Cresselia, Rillaboom, Slowking-G, Lilligant-H, Ursaluna, etc. are all either non-existant or shakey, Gholdengo is there to at least check them so you don’t get steamrolled by them.
Yeah individual Pokemon can check or counter these Pokemon too (besides Sneasler. It and Gliscor are literally Sneasler’s only counters), but they then lose to some of the other Pokemon. You also can lose out on solid offensive pressure with Make it Rains.
Gholdengo in short is what holds the Metagame together currently and would constrict teambuilding if it were banned.
It's good glue, I'll give you that. However, you are describing most of the tier. If you're defensive structure is so weak that you can't deal with several of these mons already, what is it dealing with? You can figure out decent team structures that can deal with most of the threats of OU without resorting to Gholdengo. Corv in its place deals with a lot of these mons. If you have another mon for the fighting types, practically any steel does the same job. Ghold is GOOD glue for a team, its not REQUIRED glue.

If we get aegislash in dlc2, we can keep that thing. Seems to solve all your issues with ghold being banned, and wouldnt result in massive hazard spam.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
anyway, I don't understand why some people think that ogerpon fire is ban worthy, that thing is not even close to as busted as ursaluna, and ursaluna didn't even manage to stay in OU.
Dropping this without any context or explanation is crazy.

It’s not comparable to Ursaluna at all and a lot of Ursaluna’s flaws are things that Ogerpon Hearthflame excels at such as speed.

Gholdengo being banned literally only makes a difference for Corv, the fact that we have 3 insane spikers, one of whom beats Tusk, Cinderace, and Corv, is way more significant than Corv not being able to Defog on Ghold. How on earth does "we need to ban Gholdengo so Corviknight can Defog because it's really easy for Samurott, Ting-Lu and Gliscor to get spikes up" make any sense tiering wise? And furthermore, how is "put Corv on every team" a good solution to the hazard problem?

Last edited:
for those of you who don't actually know, because an in-joke is only funny if you're in on it, here's a rundown:
r/stunfisk, the biggest competitive pokemon subreddit, allows shitposts on sundays. a popular genre of shitpost there is "[unrealistic or irrelevant thing happens], how does this affect the meta". this post was made and became really popular, especially because of this reply, which was meant to be posted to a different subreddit and has absolutely nothing to do with the question
Just want to say that this is amazing. A++ quality content.

dual wingbeat+technician+choice band+tera flying hits like a truck even resists.
it is finally somewhat usable in OU even though it is never going to see enough usage to enter it.
this i can partially agree with. scyther is surprisingly solid, especially with dual wingbeat back. i disagree with your choice of item, though. i'd rather run boots on scyther to prevent stealth rock damage and use swords dance to increase its damage output instead. if you're really confident in your hazard-control abilities, you can run eviolite instead to turn 70/80/80 bulk into 70/129/129, but boots are way safer. choice band is not something i'd run on scyther
this part of the post, on the other hand, verges on gibberish. the two mons are not remotely comparable. it's like saying that clocks are better than giraffes. (and for the record, giraffes are way better than clocks, don't @ me)

Gholdengo being banned literally only makes a difference for Corv, the fact that we have 3 insane spikers, one of whom beats Tusk, Cinderace, and Corv, is way more significant than Corv not being able to Defog on Ghold. How on earth does "we need to ban Gholdengo so Corviknight can Defog because it's really easy for Samurott, Ting-Lu and Gliscor to get spikes up" make any sense tiering wise?
Its not the hazard setup thats the problem its the fact that it stays up. I can deal with ting lu and samurott by trading most/all of their health for them to get up a few hazards. This is the case with any spiker. Its the issue that I have to play the whole game after that with them up on my side.

Ghold can deal with literally any hazard remover with correct playing, not nearly from just Corviknight. No offense, but I have no idea how we got in the headspace that a ghost type that blocks defog removal only blocks 1 pokemon out of every hazard remover in the game. The mons you see in OU that can get around it easily, are in OU because they can get around it easily. Certain pokemon with defog start looking a lot better with ghold gone, scizor and conk for some examples..

I'll give you that the pokemon with access to defog are pretty limited. But hazard removal becomes gauranteed with any of those mons, with ghold gone. I think the spinners also really appreciate a ghost type with recovery and the flexibility to be run on practically any team begin gone.

Real post time:

I think we should drop Darkrai for OU

Why drop darkrai?

For one, offensively, its not that much better than what pokemon we already have. Currently, all of the offensive pokemon are balanced, and the ones that are Super Strong like ogerpon-hearthflame can be managed with hazards, pivots, chip and out-offensing (For example, Gliscor + Pex is a very versatile combo right now that can be paired with a lot of defensive pokemon, and with gliscor's ability to stack hazard, ogerpon will have much less opportunity to get in). Darkrai fits perfectly in the middle of speed tier and power level of the current OU mons, Fast, but not as fast as scarfers, Zamazenta, Dragon Dancers and Dragapult, Strong but not as strong as the big breakers like Ogerpon and Kingambit, its basically just a special attacking Zamazenta but with much less bulk

These are great stats, but also not too overwhelming, you can realistically check it with already good spdef mons like pex with toxic, clefable, gliscor and faster threats like scarf enamorus and zamazenta, dragapult can revenge after chip

Now i've read the responses from Srn Eeveeto and ant4456 regarding why we shouldn't drop darkrai due to calcs, and to that i say "yeah, so what?" because pokemon is much deeper than just 1 turn calcs, and if you look at the most popular teams right now (from balance to offense) they all can handle darkrai well without even trying. Take a look at these teams:

Keep in mind these are just the balance teams, i didn't even put the popular offense that can easily overwhelm darkrai like Veil, and remember, this is BEFORE Darkrai is even out so these teams aren't even trying to beat darkrai but still can handle it well, Balance can pivot around it with mons like spdef gliscor, spdef pex, fezandipiti, ting-lu and chip it slowly (just like how they do with other threats like gambit, ogerpon, etc.) HO can trade mons and be on top. So while calcs like these

Looks scary on paper, in practice it’ll be more managable similar to how we handle Walking Wake which has even scarier calcs (and i haven't even touch upon potential moveset and tera changes these pokemon can have to ruin darkrai like twave clef, knock gliscor, protect spam, tera poison, and an increase in scarf users.). Looking at some mons in the past, Mixed Iron Valiant in Home Meta looked super scary with its speed and attacks, with the right move and set its downright unwallable, but the meta managed, with changes like tera fire zamazenta, defensive gholdengo and colbur berry slowking-g, so why can't the meta adapt to darkrai? we have the tools to do it, and in fact it can even help vs some of the huge meta threats like Ogerpon and Manaphy on HO or Gholdengo Spikestack on balance. It can use many sets from nasty plot to taunt knock off to scarf, but theyre still checked by the same few pokemon like Ting-Lu, more niche ‘mons like Fezandipiti which i think is underrated, Etc. Not to mention, it really needs boots because if it runs a non boots set like choice, it will have a very hard time againts Spikestack/Bootspam balance team with Gliscor Dengo Pex. Choice item will be good too since it won’t die as quickly as Life Orb but being locked into 1 80BP dark stab i am not too worried about
Considering how:
-it struggles with hazard and status,
-can be played around with the tools available currently,
-can be out offensed with what we have currently
-can still be revenge killed relatively safely by common threats,
-can even help some Offense and Balance team play checking threats of this tier (gliscor with ice beam, manaphy with thunder, gholdengo) currently
and for those saying "What about tournaments?" We can suspect it on ladder but ban it from SPL/OST while it happens DLC2

Darkrai also has difficult time picking moveslots
Dark Pulse / Focus Blast / Sludge Bomb - Most common but requires set-up as the coverage is weak unboosted. easily played around by SpDef Gliscor, Clodsire, Toxapex. Funny even Sneasler and Great Tusk naturally checks this
Dark Pulse / Ice Beam / Sludge Bomb - walled by Kingambit (which is big) Toxapex Tyranitar in DLC2 since sand should make comeback with Excadrill, also Tyranitar is already underrated with Knock Off now
Dark Pulse / Ice Beam / Psyshock - walled by WaterPon, Fairys - Clefable, Garganacl
For those looking to use a 4 attack set/Choice item, Darkrai simply isn’t strong enough to break through bulky teams, and can realistically only clean through offensive team that has been bludgeoned. Choice sets can be scary, but the hazard weakness + reliance on prediction is really bad for it.
Darkrai is weak without set-up, the common Pokemon it likes to set up on such as Zapdos Rotom-W Slowking-G Amoonguss can click a status move like Thunder Wave or Spore or strong move to get chip like Dondozo Body Press Garganacl Salt Cure or Moltres Tornadus-T slow U-turn into revenge killer/priority, Hell you can even switch in Zamazenta hard a few times since darkrai can’t even 2HKO it.
Even after set-up Darkrai can miss out on KO’s because the moves are either weak or do not have stab, for example Corviknight can live +2 Dark Pulse and finish off a weakened Darkrai with Body Press

This is also with set-up, I am not sure if all Darkrai will run Nasty Plot

Tera Blast-Fairy set Srn posted is most scary which is fair but it once again requires the initial set-up + burning your tera which is a lot to ask. Pokemon such as Regieleki, Volcarona, and Espathra were broken with Tera Blast because they were insanely fast (Eleki) or boosted speed such as Volcarona and Espathra meaning they would snowball out of control. Darkrai however cannot boost its speed and can still be checked outside of priority. I also believe there will be a Tera Blast ban in the future which is good for Darkrai’s balance

People are also scared of the Hypnosis set which I don’t get. The chance of hitting Hypnosis is 60% then 1st turn wake factored makes it around 40%. The Exotic64 team has Hypnosis Iron Valiant which is true but it really isn’t a good set in my opinion. I am sure he can attest to this and also how a lot of players have changed it for Encore or coverage when laddering. Also Iron Valiant in theory is way scarier if you hit Hypnosis because it has Booster Energy giving it 546 base speed. You can Hypnosis then possibly get 2 Calm Minds but clearly this isn’t a consistent strategy even on that Pokemon so not sure why people say it will be common on Darkrai outside of ladder cheese for the first week it is out
I understand that Darkrai isn't the most broken thing around, but calling its stats merely good instead of overwhelming doesn't convince me. This is the same Special Attack as Flutter Mane, which got banned near instantly and is a Pokemon no one wants back, and it has only 10 less speed, which is still really good. 70/90/90 defenses aren't amazing, but it ensures Darkrai won't fall apart the instant it runs into a faster move, and it can be buffed by the very present Aurora Veil. Its bad ability, lack of utility, and 4MSS do hold it back, but its stats are genuinely amazing for an attacker.

Dropping this without any context or explanation is crazy.
I am not sure if I understand what you mean, did I break the rules again?
I am sorry, just specify the rule please so I will be more carefull.

It’s not comparable to Ursaluna at all and a lot of Ursaluna’s flaws are things that Ogerpon Hearthflame excels at such as speed.
okay fair enough, my comparison to ursaluna was bad.

it still has plenty of flaws like weak ground coverage, also the 2 best grass type stabs it has have their problems, one of them is innacurate and the other has recoil.
Not to mention that it can't equip whatever item it wants.

People keep telling you that we just need better distribution on Defog but I ask the NatDex discord and the best Defogger they have that can break Gholdengo is specifically NASTY PLOT tornadus t, because without Nasty Plot it also just loses to Gholdengo anyways also

You're not getting better removal for the entire rest of the game, I'm sorry, not even the legacy movesets and entire dex of National Dex can reliably remove against Gholdengo

"NatDex is a different tier" true, but the fact that reliably removing against Gholdengo is very very very hard is one of the few things we have in common

Stop the cope

Its not the hazard setup thats the problem its the fact that it stays up. I can deal with ting lu and samurott by trading most/all of their health for them to get up a few hazards. This is the case with any spiker. Its the issue that I have to play the whole game after that with them up on my side.

Ghold can deal with literally any hazard remover with correct playing, not nearly from just Corviknight. No offense, but I have no idea how we got in the headspace that a ghost type that blocks defog removal only blocks 1 pokemon out of every hazard remover in the game. The mons you see in OU that can get around it easily, are in OU because they can get around it easily. Certain pokemon with defog start looking a lot better with ghold gone, scizor and conk for some examples..

I'll give you that the pokemon with access to defog are pretty limited. But hazard removal becomes gauranteed with any of those mons, with ghold gone. I think the spinners also really appreciate a ghost type with recovery and the flexibility to be run on practically any team begin gone.
eh, Cinderace couldn't give a fuck one way or the other about Ghold, Tusk can beat Ghold if it switches in on a predicted spin, Scizor being able to defog doesn't solve the fact that it loses to tusk ting-Lu and Gliscor. Weezing-Galar can defog in Ghold's face RIGHT NOW yet spikes are still extremely strong, why would Corv and Scizor being able to do it too make a big difference? You say the top spikers are manageable through a trade, but you're letting them get all their spikes up, it being slightly easier to remove them from there doesn't change that fact. But if you remove them from the equation, who's left? Clodsire? Toedscruel? Glimmora? Spikes are a complete non-issue outside of these 3 Pokémon and Gholdengo becoming a scapegoat for what they bring to the tier does not make sense.

Last edited:
Please excuse my writing or phasing, if you need an explanation then just ask me I am just spilling my thoughts out not arguing.

I must be living under a rock, but why are Hazards and Gholdengo so controversial? I play around the low 1800s and I don't really see too many hazards. Even when recently laddering back to top 100s(thanks exotic), then entire ride up I had like 13 matches out of the 73 where vs Hazard stack. 9 of them were in the 1000-1600 range and the other 4 was at the 1700-1854s. Keep in mind I was running a team without hazard removal. (Note I'm not saying bc i'm a bit higher on the ladder i'm right, i'm just saying what I saw and my opinion.)

I don't see whats so wrong as we have Great Tusk which normally run max speed now, and a simple prediction can kill Gholdengo (Knock into Eq) and Cinderace for just ignoring Gholdengo. As for hazards and removal, having lots of good setters does prevent hazards going up pretty difficult, but most of the Hazard setters are really passive so you can just use them as setup fodder or get a free kill. (Joke part) We also have Maushold :)

I mainly play at a faster pace (ho), (meaning that games are like 10-30 turns max) and Hazards are never really a problem for me as the games are too short for the chip to matter and setting hazards means that you are slowing yourself down. As for longer games (30-150 turns), I understand that progress can be made (from the opponent) by the hazard chip and knocking items, but you (person thats going vs hazard stack) should be focusing on eliminating the item removal or spin blocker.

Just a small gripe about teams that are being built, (I am a teambuilder so it makes me mad when ppl complain about something destroying their team (eg hazards), you have to build according to the meta, not how you feel)

You are playing vs hazard stack. They are going to be trying to stack hazards. Ofc it's going to be hard to remove them, but thats what their team is built around. When you play vs HO, its going to be hard to preserve all your walls or not sac a mon, thats what their team is built around. What I'm saying is that people shouldn't be complaining about hazards, but adapting to it. If people are running alot of hazard stack, take advantage of it by using mons that abuse the few turns hazard stack teams take to set up hazards.
People keep telling you that we just need better distribution on Defog but I ask the NatDex discord and the best Defogger they have that can break Gholdengo is specifically NASTY PLOT tornadus t, because without Nasty Plot it also just loses to Gholdengo anyways also

You're not getting better removal for the entire rest of the game, I'm sorry, not even the legacy movesets and entire dex of National Dex can reliably remove against Gholdengo

"NatDex is a different tier" true, but the fact that reliably removing against Gholdengo is very very very hard is one of the few things we have in common

Stop the cope
Bro what? Great Tusk, one of the most common mons in the format is able to reliably remove hazards vs Ghold all the time. (no hate 2 u tho u just had a bit of a whacky claim)

WHY DUSKNOIR IS GOOD IN GEN 9 OU
  1. REALLY HIGH DEFENSES WITH DECENT DEFENSIVE TYPING
  2. TRICK ROOM AND IF YOU TERA CURSE BECOMES FLIPPING VICTORY DANCE
  3. PRIORITY IN SHADOW SNEAK
  4. JUST GOT FLIPPING POLTERGEIST
  5. FANTASTIC COVERAGE IN FIRE ICE ELECTRIC GROUND LEECH LIFE ROCK FIGHTING
  6. WILLOWISP
  7. PRESSURE TURNS SUCKER PUNCH INTO A 4PP MOVE
  8. ICE PUNCH TO COVER LANDORUS

Please excuse my writing or phasing, if you need an explanation then just ask me I am just spilling my thoughts out not arguing.

I must be living under a rock, but why are Hazards and Gholdengo so controversial? I play around the low 1800s and I don't really see too many hazards. Even when recently laddering back to top 100s(thanks exotic), then entire ride up I had like 13 matches out of the 73 where vs Hazard stack. 9 of them were in the 1000-1600 range and the other 4 was at the 1700-1854s. Keep in mind I was running a team without hazard removal. (Note I'm not saying bc i'm a bit higher on the ladder i'm right, i'm just saying what I saw and my opinion.)

I don't see whats so wrong as we have Great Tusk which normally run max speed now, and a simple prediction can kill Gholdengo (Knock into Eq) and Cinderace for just ignoring Gholdengo. As for hazards and removal, having lots of good setters does prevent hazards going up pretty difficult, but most of the Hazard setters are really passive so you can just use them as setup fodder or get a free kill. (Joke part) We also have Maushold :)

I mainly play at a faster pace (ho), (meaning that games are like 10-30 turns max) and Hazards are never really a problem for me as the games are too short for the chip to matter and setting hazards means that you are slowing yourself down. As for longer games (30-150 turns), I understand that progress can be made (from the opponent) by the hazard chip and knocking items, but you (person thats going vs hazard stack) should be focusing on eliminating the item removal or spin blocker.

Just a small gripe about teams that are being built, (I am a teambuilder so it makes me mad when ppl complain about something destroying their team (eg hazards), you have to build according to the meta, not how you feel)

You are playing vs hazard stack. They are going to be trying to stack hazards. Ofc it's going to be hard to remove them, but thats what their team is built around. When you play vs HO, its going to be hard to preserve all your walls or not sac a mon, thats what their team is built around. What I'm saying is that people shouldn't be complaining about hazards, but adapting to it. If people are running alot of hazard stack, take advantage of it by using mons that abuse the few turns hazard stack teams take to set up hazards.

Bro what? Great Tusk, one of the most common mons in the format is able to reliably remove hazards vs Ghold all the time. (no hate 2 u tho u just had a bit of a whacky claim)
"Mainly play HO"
That really is the problem. Hazard spam is easily beaten by HO, which is one of the reasons a lot of the best teams in OU right now are HO.

With HO, hazard spam teams are easy to beat because the turns the opponent is going for hazards are turns you have to setup or put massive pressure on the opponent's team. If you're the one controlling the offensive pressure of the game, you wont find yourself needing to switch as much as someone on the backfoot. You pretty much start with the game going in your favor.

Stall also isnt super affected by it since they just all run boots. It really is just balance that is pretty hard fucked up by it. Instead of hazards HO playing the game of: I need to chip X defensive mon so I can win with Y offensive mon, its instead a game for the balance player playing against hazards: I need to chip gholdengo so i can spin/defog the hazards so i dont autolose to Y offensive mon. At that point its not even worthwhile running mons that are too passive, it kinda just leads into everyone running offensive mons so they keep offensive pressure.

Additionally, traditionally passive ways of crippling an offensive mon like thunder wave, leech seeding, whirlwind, toxic.. are way harder to run in a ghold meta. You kinda need these more passive mons to also run something specifically for ghold

I want to mention something I said before: Even if Gholdengo restricts "just" Corviknight, we have seen in the past how much effect even a single Pokemon's viability can have on the Meta (I again refer to Gen 3 TTar and his sand, also would mention how Aegislash in Gens 6-7 literally dictated if Psychic and Fairy Pokemon exist in OU). Corviknight is obviously not to the degree of the things I listed above, but between its ability to soft-check much of the Meta with Typing/Bulk/Recovery, Pivot with U-Turn, Defog, and/or be a Win Condition with things like BU/ID Body Press, the mon has a lot of potentially influential factors in its kit. And frankly, considering we have literally 2 viable Hazard removers in OU, adding one more is a 50% increase in options, and one that fits onto VERY different teams than said 2.

Gholdengo makes Corv completely useless at Hazard removal since it has absolutely no way to make progress against the Cheese man, whether on Hazards or in general. This means Balance teams can't role compress their hazard removal into a Bulky pivot like Corv or even threaten that as an option to account for in Team Preview (no Bulky Cinderace does not count as something on anywhere near that level for said description). Tusk as Hazard removal becomes extremely linear to prepare for in the role as some of the above examples have pointed out, not least of which because what the hell else is he doing on a team that isn't running 3+ Boots users?

And this is mostly discussing our pre-home Hazard setters. Who knows if something like Mandibuzz (which yes, somehow cannot reliably get past Gholdengo despite the type match-up), Knock-Off-restored Scizor, or even Conkeldurr also present the move as options that aren't worth running because they again give free turns to the most obnoxious mon in the tier (I distinguish this from being "the most overpowered" to be clear). I stress again that Good As Gold stopping Defog on the switch-in is what makes it so restrictive on this front: Defog's main benefit was the fact that if you didn't have Taunt in front of the mon using it THAT turn, Hazards went away from both sides, which gave it reliability at the cost of removing your own compared to Rapid Spin among other trades. Gholdengo literally stops any form of removal short of memes like Defog Weezing-Galar the second he is put on the field, and in this Hyper-Offensive warzone OU is right now (whether thanks to or prompting the Hazard spam), that one chance at removal might be all your team gets to attempt before you have to worry about stopping Valiant or Kingambit from getting a SD or Ogerpon Terastalizing into a Trailblaze or Dragonite dancing or Pelipper setting Rain for BB Greninja or...

My point being, it is very hard to downplay how much that ONE turn matters to keeping Hazards and their effect on the battle going. Even if Gholdengo dies, the fact that you cannot be sure you'll get Hazards out until he is fainted while you have a not-ready-to-sweep opponent in front of you means he does his job the longer it takes to reach that point, even if you do. The Tusk -> Spinblock Ghold -> Ghold faints -> Valiant Switch-in was one example: Gholdengo didn't need to survive the interaction to secure the game, he just had to ensure that Tusk did not spin the Hazards away before they put Valiant in a position to sweep, which Tusk risks doing now by either giving the set-up chance (if it switches out or Rapid Spins predicting a bluff) or getting itself Sacced (if it calls the attack and Valiant goes for the Revenge) and coasting you the hazard remover anyway.

To get cheeky/reductive myself, last time we had a meta-centralizing 50/50 creating Ghost/Steel type Pokemon at the top of OU, it was a very controversial meta, so I don't think it's a surprise that Gholdengo is at minimum generating a lot of mixed opinions.

Gholdengo being banned literally only makes a difference for Corv, the fact that we have 3 insane spikers, one of whom beats Tusk, Cinderace, and Corv, is way more significant than Corv not being able to Defog on Ghold. How on earth does "we need to ban Gholdengo so Corviknight can Defog because it's really easy for Samurott, Ting-Lu and Gliscor to get spikes up" make any sense tiering wise? And furthermore, how is "put Corv on every team" a good solution to the hazard problem?
See above for why even if it "literally only makes a difference for Corv," that difference entails ripple effects that could affect the viability of quite a few other OU Pokemon. Corv was a very relevant Pokemon last gen, so it's entirely reasonable that its playability can in turn affect the Meta a lot

252 Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Razor Shell vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 112-133 (28 - 33.3%) -- 94% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Samurott-Hisui: 139-165 (43.3 - 51.4%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO (for Tera Ghost)
252+ Def Corviknight Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Samurott-Hisui: 200-236 (62.3 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ting-Lu literally cannot touch Corv without Ruination. Gliscor I'll give is basically a stalemate/game of switch chicken but it's way easier for the U-Turn recipient to come into 1 Spike than 3.

Corviknight on "every team" is a strawman, compared to "Corv goes on more teams, often ones where it works better than Tusk or Cinderace" as is the argument being made.

Last edited:
"Mainly play HO"
That really is the problem. Hazard spam is easily beaten by HO, which is one of the reasons a lot of the best teams in OU right now are HO.

With HO, hazard spam teams are easy to beat because the turns the opponent is going for hazards are turns you have to setup or put massive pressure on the opponent's team. If you're the one controlling the offensive pressure of the game, you wont find yourself needing to switch as much as someone on the backfoot. You pretty much start with the game going in your favor.

Stall also isnt super affected by it since they just all run boots. It really is just balance that is pretty hard fucked up by it. Instead of hazards HO playing the game of: I need to chip X defensive mon so I can win with Y offensive mon, its instead a game for the balance player playing against hazards: I need to chip gholdengo so i can spin/defog the hazards so i dont autolose to Y offensive mon. At that point its not even worthwhile running mons that are too passive, it kinda just leads into everyone running offensive mons so they keep offensive pressure.

Additionally, traditionally passive ways of crippling an offensive mon like thunder wave, leech seeding, whirlwind, toxic.. are way harder to run in a ghold meta. You kinda need these more passive mons to also run something specifically for ghold
I think sample teams for gen 9 ou right now has something like 9 HO teams to 1 balance team and 1-2 stall teams..

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I think sample teams for gen 9 ou right now has something like 9 HO teams to 1 balance team and 1-2 stall teams..
1695329373648.png

Nah not really? Assuming my webs and the rain falls under HO, it's an even 4-4 split of HO and BO/balance teams. We tend to see HO fall off as metas develop too, like it did in the home meta. Of all the complaints that I have with gen9, "HO hellhole" is not one of them.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Stop the cope
Is Zapdos, Gliscor, and Lando-T not working for them?

Or are they just bad? Jk ofc.

I
WHY DUSKNOIR IS GOOD IN GEN 9 OU
  1. REALLY HIGH DEFENSES WITH DECENT DEFENSIVE TYPING
  2. TRICK ROOM AND IF YOU TERA CURSE BECOMES FLIPPING VICTORY DANCE
  3. PRIORITY IN SHADOW SNEAK
  4. JUST GOT FLIPPING POLTERGEIST
  5. FANTASTIC COVERAGE IN FIRE ICE ELECTRIC GROUND LEECH LIFE ROCK FIGHTING
  6. WILLOWISP
  7. PRESSURE TURNS SUCKER PUNCH INTO A 4PP MOVE
  8. ICE PUNCH TO COVER LANDORUS
More responses for the trick room team please. I see people skipping the read. I want to read more on trick room :)

do you mean just the ceaseless edge or all the hazards?
It's the same basic principle except that grass/fire is universally better coverage than Normal/Ground, not walled by things like Air Balloon Dengo and Corv, and that Ursaluna is constantly being chipped by burn makes it far less bulky than it appears. It also is weak to a lot of common meta threats: Weathers dunk on it, our plethora of good fighting types, Greninja/Wake/Manaphy/Ogerpon/Meow/Azu as water or grass attackers, pretty much any strong special attack, just a lot of things take it down. It's base 40 speed means that it pretty much has to take a hit before it can nuke things with its Facade, too. It also HAS to either wait a turn or switch into an attack for its flame orb to activate, meaning that it often takes a hit before even being able to attack. Ogerpon's amazing speed, better ability in Mold Breaker to get past Unaware and cheese, and ability to get an intrepid sword boost ON TOP of the Adaptability boost already provided by Tera Fire makes it truly a nightmare for balance to deal with, resorting to things like Tera Dragon Tusk or Dozo(falls to play rough) or Ability Shield Heatran (falls to knock off or stomping tantrum).

Basically, I summed it up in a previous post earlier: Ogerpon is busted because it effortlessly breaks defense and it performs well into balance too. Ursaluna does not as effortlessly break defense, and often merely trades with balance if it does anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)