Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Opinions on Lokix in OU with a good entry hazard remover (Cinderace, Tusk + Hatt)?
Lokix @ Life Orb / Insert some other item here
Ability: Tinted Lens
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leech Life
- Throat Chop
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Good meme, use with Future Sight Slowking though.

I really like Lokix, it hits insanely hard with band first impression and tinted lens as aforementioned can help it get away with a lot (where it shouldn't normally), a lot of teams also lack solid switch ins to first impression, it deals a ton of damage to everything with tinted lens. I haven't played with Lokix much but if you predict a garganacl/kingambit switch in on a first impression, low kick 0hko gambit and 2hko garganacl. I think I prefer it over axe kick just because the crash damage/miss, and you aren't hitting much else with axe kick that you aren't hitting with first impression.

252+ Atk Choice Band Lokix Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Garganacl: 222-262 (54.9 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Lokix Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 520-612 (140.9 - 165.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

What do yall think about this: BULKY OFFENSE KILLER BAXCALIBUR

Baxcalibur @ Leftovers
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Glaive Rush
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
BULKY OFFENSE KILLER
why are you doing this to me
what did I do for you to do this
is this because I don't follow BIG STALL on Twitter?

Anyway, to not make this a one-liner, today I found somebody running Specs Iron Moth, I killed him before it could sweep my team, so I couldn't see all his moves, but he was running Overheat and Psychic, what do you guys think about this, sounds like a stupid strong wallbreaker, could be fun actually

"nobody should like stall"
this offends me
Anyway, to not make this a one-liner, today I found somebody running Specs Iron Moth, I killed him before it could sweep my team, so I couldn't see all his moves, but he was running Overheat and Psychic, what do you guys think about this, sounds like a stupid strong wallbreaker, could be fun actually
I remember in the OU chat room when talking about iron moth I brought up specs and people said it’s just usable and there are better wallbreakers.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader

Extremely viable (I'd personally run it with Uturn though), but I think the Booster sets are more threatening +SpA or +Spe

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
"nobody should like stall"
this offends me
Damm and I thought I was holding grudges for too long lmao
I'm gonna break character for a bit, and confess that I DO play stall from time to time, it's just that my stall teams tend to get a bit memey
Even tho I don't personally like it, I know that it's important to have all the general styles under your teambuilder (Stall, Balance, BO, Offense, HO)

I remember in the OU chat room when talking about iron moth I brought up specs and people said it’s just usable and there are better wallbreakers.
Alright so lighting round question for everybody

what's your personal favorite Wallbreaker right now?
For me, it's either Specs Iron Valiant, Banded Meowscarada, Banded Baxcalibur or Specs Gholdengo
They are all a ton of fun to use, it depends on the day, but they are pretty splashable in general

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
I'm gonna break character for a bit, and confess that I DO play stall from time to time, it's just that my stall teams tend to get a bit memey
Even tho I don't personally like it, I know that it's important to have all the general styles under your teambuilder (Stall, Balance, BO, Offense, HO)

For me, it's either Specs Iron Valiant, Banded Meowscarada, Banded Baxcalibur or Specs Gholdengo
They are all a ton of fun to use, it depends on the day, but they are pretty splashable in general
My fav wall breaker right now is the nuclear bomb under sun called Choice Specs (with SpA boost) Walking Wake (Just remove all the water absorbers and go to town)

I'm really liking banded Pult - obviously Dragon Darts isn't the best thing to be locked into but it does nuke a lot of mons esp when Tera Dragon.

My fav wall breaker right now is the nuclear bomb under sun called Choice Specs (with SpA boost) Walking Wake (Just remove all the water absorbers and go to town)
There is another, stronger nuke called Choice Specs Solar Power Tera Fire Charizard. What do you feel about that?

awyp

RMT Leader
There is another, stronger nuke called Choice Specs Solar Power Tera Fire Charizard. What do you feel about that?
Not going to lie Charizard under the Sun regardless if you Overheat or not is Godly

252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Tera Fire Charizard Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Blissey in Sun: 652-768 (91.3 - 107.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Ooh this is a tough one, I really like Specs Pult, Banded Pult (A little less than Specs), Banded Meow, Dice Breloom, Specs Valiant, and even stuff like Nasty Plot Hydreigon and Zoroark can break walls with a boost or two very nicely. And of course Wake needs no mentioning. Overall my favourite is probably Banded Bax, melts literally anything.
Also banded Tusk is an underrated breaker ngl.

Taunt Hydreigon was amazing on my reqs run, the advantage it has over NP is that doesn't nees tera to avoid toxic (Clod can't do anything to Hydreigon) and also helps to keep the walls low denying the recovers or not letting stuff set up after a special attack drop.

The one I've had the most success with is Banded Baxcalibur for sure, but my favorite is Specs Zoroark. I like to have it come out disguised as Clodsire in front of a specially-inclined Pokemon, watch them switch out to Tusk in preparation for punishing me, and then clicking Hyper Voice until they make me stop.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor

offensive garchomp is always fun as hell to use, especially SD and mixed sets. i also find NP ghold, specs wake, CB hands, specs pult and banded loom to be super fun to use as well

Definetly Offensive Great Tusk. The more I use it and the more I'm slowly realizing that only a small number of mons (not severly exploitable) can reliabily switch to it, of which the best of them is... Defensive Tusk

I tried trolling people with f.e.a.r tauros-paldean-aqua

Tauros-Paldea-Aqua @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 15
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Endeavor

it was a fun gimmick.

not reliable for high levels of competitive but it was fun.

it needs to be at level 15 because it can't learn aqua jet otherwise.

also note that I accidentally let this comment on OU viability thread so now I am posting it here where it belongs.

I tried trolling people with f.e.a.r tauros-paldean-aqua

Tauros-Paldea-Aqua @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 15
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Endeavor

it was a fun gimmick.

not reliable for high levels of competitive but it was fun.

it needs to be at level 15 because it can't learn aqua jet otherwise.

also note that I accidentally let this comment on OU viability thread so now I am posting it here where it belongs.
Aqua Jet can’t be passed on by breeding in game for level 1?

hydreigon needs to wait one more day so it will finally see some usage again.

I wonder if it is going to stay in OU by the end of the month even after the walking wake ban.

hydreigon needs to wait one more day so it will finally see some usage again.

I wonder if it is going to stay in OU by the end of the month even after the walking wake ban.
Everyday more people is joining the not ban side, it looks like it will be a close one, even its usage is dropping, especially after its underwhelming debut on tournaments.

Edit to no doble post:
The Garg suspect was delayed for this:
3 | Walking Wake | 13 | 32.50% | 23.08%

Last edited:
far as i'm concerned it's just slightly worse dracovish and needs to go asap. the degree to which it has warped the meta is insane. it really seems like this generation is just going to be a repeat of generation 5- all of the broken shit is gonna stay way longer than it needs to for tons of trite reasons.
The meta haven't changed that much (unless you are playing the same OU that the other guy who affirmed Tusk was going to drop to UU because of wake). The thing is that while on paper Wake sounds scary, in pratice isn't that great, just look at the SPL stats and match or the replays posted on the suspect thread. Wake suffers from its own dependence and the meta already has a lot of ways to exploit that archetype and wake isn't really a game changer for Sun, it is a strong addition but it really doesn't add much besides a strong attacker (which doesn't even compare to what Chi-Yu was).
Also, Dracovish is way above Walking Wake, a more fair comparation would be comparing it to Lele, and it is weaker because can't boost itself like the tapus.

Last edited:
The meta haven't changed that much (unless you are playing the same OU that the other guy who affirmed Tusk was going to drop to UU because of wake). The thing is that while on paper Wake sounds scary, in pratice isn't that great, just look at the SPL stats and match or the replays posted on the suspect thread. Wake suffers from its own dependence and the meta already has a lot of ways to exploit that archetype and wake isn't really a game changer for Sun, it is a strong addition but it really doesn't add much besides a strong attacker (which doesn't even compare to what Chi-Yu was).
Also, Dracovish is way above Walking Wake, a more fair comparation would be comparing it to Lele, and it is weaker because can't boost itself like the tapus.
Specs Draco do be kinda busted tho in this tier considering we don't have too many real Fairy-types. Not sure if this is a popular opinion, but I think Tera kinda helps keep Wake in check since it gives us a wider pool of Fairy-types like Garg to force Wake into making uncomfortable 50/50s with specs. Usually, my gameplan is to Tera early so Wake doesn't get free kills with Draco. Thing is, when it gets that 50/50 right, something gets goobed (aka dies) which ain't fun. I'm thiinking that maybe running Protect on various defensive mons that wake uses as entry points like Corv could be the way to ease prediction vs this and turn these 50 / 50s into 100 / 0s.

That being said, strong Dracos in general just feel quite solid in this meta. Hydreigon and Dragapult have the potential to be just as, if not more scary than Wake in most games.

awyp

RMT Leader
Specs Draco do be kinda busted tho in this tier considering we don't have too many real Fairy-types. Not sure if this is a popular opinion, but I think Tera kinda helps keep Wake in check since it gives us a wider pool of Fairy-types like Garg to force Wake into making uncomfortable 50/50s with specs. Usually, my gameplan is to Tera early so Wake doesn't get free kills with Draco. Thing is, when it gets that 50/50 right, something gets goobed (aka dies) which ain't fun. I'm thiinking that maybe running Protect on various defensive mons that wake uses as entry points like Corv could be the way to ease prediction vs this and turn these 50 / 50s into 100 / 0s.

That being said, strong Dracos in general just feel quite solid in this meta. Hydreigon and Dragapult have the potential to be just as, if not more scary than Wake in most games.
Agreed, not a lot of things can switch into a Draco that's not tera fairy, we're pretty much on Valiant / Hatt and that's about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)