Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? GT can't switch into Hamurott, Corv without body press is free spikes and it gets chipped quickly, and you're seriously calling sucker punch weak? Come on now.

Also post home will have more fliers but it isn't gonna be teams of like five spikes immune mons. Huge exaggeration. Glimm also isn't a better spikes setter because it tends to lose to GT, and Corv unless backed by Gholdengo. It'll get many spiking chances when you consider how common mons it will force out are (Gholdengo, Heatran, LandoT). Unblockable hazards are a really big deal and it's not like if only sets hazards.
Unblockable* and pressuring. You can't spam Defog or Rapid Spin against Hamurott since Ceaseless Edge does damage. You pretty much have to run Rocky Helmet on your hazard remover. Which is partially why I think Mixed will be the best option for Hamurott.

*You can actually block Ceaseless Edge and Stone Axe, even without Protect. So long as they aren't wearing Protective Pads, Rocky Helmet will prevent Spikes/Rocks from being set if the recoil kills them.

252 SpA Samurott-Hisui Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Corviknight: 169-201 (42.3 - 50.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

IMO SamurottH should just go Special and use Ceaseless as pretty much utility.

Even with Timid it cleanly 2HKOs Gholdengo which IMO is what will give it one of its best switch ins in the entire tier.

0- Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Ceaseless Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 210-248 (66.6 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Believe it or not, but SamurottH's SpAtk is so mid, that you have to invest around 96 EVs to get a clean, high odds KO. Not bad to invest necessarily, but then if you go Jolly you have to invest even more anyways, just for your Physical Targets to, uh, not really exist.

With a moveset of

Hydro Pump
Ceaseless Edge
Knock Off / Protect (for Lefties longevity if you want, and scout Teras)
Sacred Sword / Protect (as above, will always have one of Knock or Sacred IMO)

this also owns Garganacl, and a lot of Tera Ghost spinblockers

It gets switch-ins on Kingambit and Gholdengo (that isn't using Focus Blast) and gets progress back, which is what its niche is anyways. Even with Timid

0- Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 316-376 (92.6 - 110.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

And if you are like me and want to go full "whacky ass EVs" mode,

252+ Atk Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Samurott-Hisui: 94-111 (26 - 30.7%) -- 6.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Unless you are fighting like, this:

252+ Atk Life Orb Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Samurott-Hisui: 244-289 (67.5 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(which to be honest, who doesn't)

a 56% chance to kill is more than enough, especially since almost all the rolls would die to Life Orb recoil anyways.

252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Samurott-Hisui: 141-166 (43.9 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even without HP invest, you pretty cleanly take Make It Rain. Not amazingly, but in a meta like this (which I am presuming will mostly continue in this direction, even if there is a lot pointing otherwise, because otherwise SamurottH would be way worse anyways) taking a massive hit a few times in a game, and getting Spikes up in return is nice.

Why max Speed? Well, obviouslyit would be optimized based on surrounding conditions, but I don't know what those are. Maybe this would change but I'm dumb, lmao, so okay? Luckily it's actually a pretty good defensive typing and has a good enough HP to carry its natural bulk.

Now again, I am dumb, so take this with a grain of salt but IMO SamH doesn't really need to invest into Atk at all

Ting Lu is borderline broken, if it has lefties and Rest it's one of the hardest mons to bring down especially with the inconsistency of it Teraing on common switch-ins. It becomes easier if you have a breaker but if you don't GL.
It took a while, but I'm glad it is getting the respect it deserves now, sadly we will see a lot of trick with the new Home mons since most of them got it this gen, hope it doesn't hurt it as much.

252 SpA Samurott-Hisui Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Corviknight: 169-201 (42.3 - 50.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even with Timid it cleanly 2HKOs Gholdengo which IMO is what will give it one of its best switch ins in the entire tier.

0- Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Ceaseless Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 210-248 (66.6 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Believe it or not, but SamurottH's SpAtk is so mid, that you have to invest around 96 EVs to get a clean, high odds KO. Not bad to invest necessarily, but then if you go Jolly you have to invest even more anyways, just for your Physical Targets to, uh, not really exist.

With a moveset of

Hydro Pump
Ceaseless Edge

It gets switch-ins on Kingambit and Gholdengo (that isn't using Focus Blast) and gets progress back, which is what its niche is anyways. Even with Timid

0- Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 316-376 (92.6 - 110.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Samurott-Hisui: 94-111 (26 - 30.7%) -- 6.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Samurott-Hisui: 244-289 (67.5 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

a 56% chance to kill is more than enough, especially since almost all the rolls would die to Life Orb recoil anyways.

252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Samurott-Hisui: 141-166 (43.9 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even without HP invest, you pretty cleanly take Make It Rain. Not amazingly, but in a meta like this (which I am presuming will mostly continue in this direction, even if there is a lot pointing otherwise, because otherwise SamurottH would be way worse anyways) taking a massive hit a few times in a game, and getting Spikes up in return is nice.

Why max Speed? Well, obviouslyit would be optimized based on surrounding conditions, but I don't know what those are. Maybe this would change but I'm dumb, lmao, so okay? Luckily it's actually a pretty good defensive typing and has a good enough HP to carry its natural bulk.

Now again, I am dumb, so take this with a grain of salt but IMO SamH doesn't really need to invest into Atk at all
imo the ideal set should look something like this
Samurott-Hisui @ Mystic Water/Metronome/Protective Pads
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ceaseless Edge
- Razor Shell/Aqua Cutter
- Aqua Jet/Sucker Punch
- Hydro Pump
Hydro Pump with Mystic Water is guaranteed to OHKO Great Tusk, 2HKOs Garg even after Iron Defense, prevents Toxic Debris from activating, avoids contact affect abilities, 2HKOs Torkoal, has a 68.8% chance to OHKO Mixed Iron Valiant after 1 Spike, and also avoids Intimidate/Burns. All the other moves are pretty straight forward.
Most Special attackers beat Hamurott, besides most Gholdango and Skeledirge sets, so it’s not a big deal.
Tera Ghost is probably the most beneficial Tera as it blocks Rapid Spin, makes you neutral to Ground, and can avoid common Close Combats and Focus Blasts.
Mystic Water is usually better as it helps get the KOs it needs (namely Great Tusk), while Metronome works well with Ceaseless Edge spam. Protective Pads is also a good option as like stated before, Rocky Helmet is semi capable of blocking Ceaseless Edge.

Ting Lu is borderline broken, if it has lefties and Rest it's one of the hardest mons to bring down especially with the inconsistency of it Teraing on common switch-ins. It becomes easier if you have a breaker but if you don't GL.
luckily it only has rest, no reliable recovery.

I have to say, from what I've played, I've been pleasantly surprised by how legitimately good Chesnaught is. Being able to essentially force Kingambit to Tera or switch out is an amazing trait to have and it sits on Great Tusk, Meowscarada, Cinderace, Dondozo, and Ting-Lu all day. Spiky Shield lets it add chip damage which, alongside Drain Punch and Leech Seed, lets it stay at high health throughout much of the game. Bulletproof giving it an immunity to Sludge Bomb also allows it switch into and stay in on most Amoonguss sets, letting Chesnaught use it as Spikes fodder, which can wear down some of the mons that check it either offensively or defensively. While Chesnaught isn't great against Gholdengo on its own, it can use Specs/Scarf sets as an opportunity to set up Spikes by scouting it with Spiky Shield; if it uses Shadow Ball, it can stay in worry-free.

These are just the things it can do with the set that I've been using, but Chesnaught has quite a lot of versatility. Earthquake is good for a hard hit on Gholdengo and Fire types, and while it is weaker, Crunch can be run to maintain coverage against Gholdengo while also letting it threaten Dragapult, Zoroark-H, and Ceruledge. Close Combat and Wood Hammer give it strong STAB moves to use as a bulky wallbreaker, and Body Press can let it use its Defense offensively and pairs well with Bulk Up or Iron Defense. Swords Dance gives it a different way of setting up and also works well with Trailblaze, which can let it become a faster offensive threat; with 252 EVs, 1 Speed boost, and a neutral nature, it outspeeds Baxcalibur, Hydreigon, Great Tusk, and Gholdengo. With a +Speed nature, it outspeeds Walking Wake, Garchomp, Cinderace, Iron Valiant, and Roaring Moon. Zen Headbutt gives it coverage against Amoonguss, Breloom, and opposing Chesnaught and opens up potential flinch antics. Taunt and Super Fang give it more stallbreaking potential and make the opponent more vulnerable to the rest of Chesnaught's team. Synthesis gives it instant recovery (though be mindful of its low PP) and Reflect strengthens its physical bulk while also helping out its teammates.
(Also, Joey used a Belly Drum set in his video. It's probably a gimmick, but if you want to try it out, go nuts.)
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
In short, I think Chesnaught is a solid mon; it has plenty of fantastic traits that separate it from its contemporaries and said traits can be mixed and matched effectively to turn it into a great physical wall, a stallbreaker, or bulky attacker. While its flaws are obvious and significant, such as weaknesses to the common Fire-, Fairy-, and Poison-type attacks, high vulnerability to status, less than stellar special bulk, and a big case of 4-move-slot syndrome, there's a good reason as to why people in this thread have been hyping it up for a while, and contrary to the past few starters that have been released, I believe it has a high chance of staying in OU (at least until DLC comes out and messes things up, of course). The good amount of usage it's seeing right now isn't just out of hype.

anotherbadmeme.png

Last edited:
I have to say, from what I've played, I've been pleasantly surprised by how legitimately good Chesnaught is. Being able to essentially force Kingambit to Tera or switch out is an amazing trait to have and it sits on Great Tusk, Meowscarada, Cinderace, Dondozo, and Ting-Lu all day. Spiky Shield lets it add chip damage which, alongside Drain Punch and Leech Seed, lets it stay at high health throughout much of the game. Bulletproof giving it an immunity to Sludge Bomb also allows it switch into and stay in on most Amoonguss sets, letting Chesnaught use it as Spikes fodder, which can wear down some of the mons that check it either offensively or defensively. While Chesnaught isn't great against Gholdengo on its own, it can use Specs/Scarf sets as an opportunity to set up Spikes by scouting it with Spiky Shield; if it uses Shadow Ball, it can stay in worry-free.

These are just the things it can do with the set that I've been using, but Chesnaught has quite a lot of versatility. Earthquake is good for a hard hit on Gholdengo and Fire types, and while it is weaker, Crunch can be run to maintain coverage against Gholdengo while also letting it threaten Dragapult, Zoroark-H, and Ceruledge. Close Combat and Wood Hammer give it strong STAB moves to use as a bulky wallbreaker, and Body Press can let it use its Defense offensively and pairs well with Bulk Up or Iron Defense. Swords Dance gives it a different way of setting up and also works well with Trailblaze, which can let it become a faster offensive threat; with 252 EVs, 1 Speed boost, and a neutral nature, it outspeeds Baxcalibur, Hydreigon, Great Tusk, and Gholdengo. With a +Speed nature, it outspeeds Walking Wake, Garchomp, Cinderace, Iron Valiant, and Roaring Moon. Zen Headbutt gives it coverage against Amoonguss, Breloom, and opposing Chesnaught and opens up potential flinch antics. Taunt and Super Fang give it more stallbreaking potential and make the opponent more vulnerable to the rest of Chesnaught's team. Synthesis gives it instant recovery (though be mindful of its low PP) and Reflect strengthens its physical bulk while also helping out its teammates.
(Also, Joey used a Belly Drum set in his video. It's probably a gimmick, but if you want to try it out, go nuts.)
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
In short, I think Chesnaught is a solid mon; it has plenty of fantastic traits that separate it from its contemporaries and said traits can be mixed and matched effectively to turn it into a great physical wall, a stallbreaker, or bulky attacker. While its flaws are obvious and significant, such as weaknesses to the common Fire-, Fairy-, and Poison-type attacks, high vulnerability to status, less than stellar special bulk, and a big case of 4-move-slot syndrome, there's a good reason as to why people in this thread have been hyping it up for a while, and contrary to the past few starters that have been released, I believe it has a high chance of staying in OU (at least until DLC comes out and messes things up, of course). The good amount of usage it's seeing right now isn't just out of hype.

View attachment 516245
Chesnaught in my opinion, while still in experimental phase, has been quite nice as a pseudo-Ferrothorn not vulnerable to Great Tusk. While it may sound stupid, I feel the his special attacking options have been slept on. I particular I feel Leaf Storm is a much better option than Wood Hammer, as the two major targets of grass coverage, Great Tusk and Dondozo, are hit much harder by it, with the latter in particular even ignoring the Spa drop due to Unaware.

0 Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 164-194 (37.7 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0- SpA Chesnaught Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 324-384 (74.6 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 180-212 (35.7 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0- SpA Chesnaught Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 276-326 (54.7 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

One thing that needs to be said however, is that Chesnaught absolutely needs both lefties and Spiky Shield in order to handle BE and especially CB Great Tusk.

252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Chesnaught: 163-193 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Chesnaught: 189-223 (49.7 - 58.6%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

imo the ideal set should look something like this
Samurott-Hisui @ Mystic Water/Metronome/Protective Pads
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ceaseless Edge
- Razor Shell/Aqua Cutter
- Aqua Jet/Sucker Punch
- Hydro Pump
Hydro Pump with Mystic Water is guaranteed to OHKO Great Tusk, 2HKOs Garg even after Iron Defense, prevents Toxic Debris from activating, avoids contact affect abilities, 2HKOs Torkoal, has a 68.8% chance to OHKO Mixed Iron Valiant after 1 Spike, and also avoids Intimidate/Burns. All the other moves are pretty straight forward.
Most Special attackers beat Hamurott, besides most Gholdango and Skeledirge sets, so it’s not a big deal.
Tera Ghost is probably the most beneficial Tera as it blocks Rapid Spin, makes you neutral to Ground, and can avoid common Close Combats and Focus Blasts.
Mystic Water is usually better as it helps get the KOs it needs (namely Great Tusk), while Metronome works well with Ceaseless Edge spam. Protective Pads is also a good option as like stated before, Rocky Helmet is semi capable of blocking Ceaseless Edge.
Mystic Water is a pretty good idea to both get those KO margins and make Samurott-H's Water STAB hit neutral targets harder. However, I'd still rather run Hasty because I intend on mainly switching Samurott-H into special attackers (and Enamorus checks) such as Heatran, Gholdengo, and Skeledirge (and Slowking-G in an emergency, I guess). Naive's biggest benefit is being able to switch into Kingambit more easily.

I want to be able to fit in Sacred Sword and drop down to only one Water move, but unfortunately, I need Sharpness 1.2x Razor Shell to guaranteed OHKO offensive Heatran:

252 Atk Mystic Water Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Razor Shell vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 372-438 (115.1 - 135.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Mystic Water Samurott-Hisui Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 270-320 (83.5 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Expert Belt Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 298-350 (92.2 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Razor Shell also has a nasty chance to drop opposing Defense, thus being a pseudo-boosting move, especially against Unaware mons.

Just wait until it gets strenght sap on DLCs.
addtext_com_MTQzNjI2MzIzNjQ.png

Honestly, I've found Ting-Lu to be a bit underwhelming rather than busted - don't get me wrong, it's bulky, but it's also just kind of... there?
I prefer Tusk, Treads, or Clodsire for Stealth Rock. Speaking of which, I'd like to pose three questions to all of you revolving around utility!

1. Regular Spikes and Sticky Webs, how have you all been feeling about them and Pokemon who can set them?

2. Are there any sub-OU hazard setters that you've been having success with in OU lately (such as Scream Tail or Sandy Shocks)?

3. What is your go-to Pokemon for handling hazards that aren't Hatterene, Defog Corviknight, or switching in Glimmora/Clodsire/Toxapex to get rid of Toxic Spikes?

View attachment 516334

Honestly, I've found Ting-Lu to be a bit underwhelming rather than busted - don't get me wrong, it's bulky, but it's also just kind of... there?
I prefer Tusk, Treads, or Clodsire for Stealth Rock. Speaking of which, I'd like to pose three questions to all of you revolving around utility!

1. Regular Spikes and Sticky Webs, how have you all been feeling about them and Pokemon who can set them?

2. Are there any sub-OU hazard setters that you've been having success with in OU lately (such as Scream Tail or Sandy Shocks)?

3. What is your go-to Pokemon for handling hazards that aren't Hatterene, Defog Corviknight, or switching in Glimmora/Clodsire/Toxapex to get rid of Toxic Spikes?
1. I think Webs is absolutely horrid. The Webs setters this generation are honestly useless paper dolls of pokemon, on top of this you have so many predators to the playstyle, magic bounce hat, court change cinderace, the vast majority of the meta also either doesn't care about speed, is flying or uses HBD. I think on the other hand Spikes are honestly pretty decent, most of the mons who can learn them are viable outside of having spikes and it lets you get the important chip on mons like tusk, kingambit and gholdengo to support stuff like bellydrum azu or other threats.

2. Personally I've been a big fan of Toedscruel this gen who meets the sub-ou criteria, I've been running spore, spikes, grass knot and earth power. It has a nice MU into a lot of teams who rely on hat to block hazards like a lot of sash psyspam teams, it outruns tusk and threatens other hazard removers outside of Corv but it pairs nicely with Gholdengo anyways. It kinda sucks vs sub bax and subdreigon as well as dragon darts pult. It has issues vs fellow leads like meowscarada and some greninja variants which make it a bit annoying at times but honestly it is really good imo.

2.5 I think Brambleghast is honestly a bit underrated too, it manages to serve as full hazard control with spin+spikes while having semi reliable recovery in strength sap, unlike gholdengo it manages to be able to deal with the vast majority of tusk sets too while just being flat immune to defog and rapid spin. Works really well on hazard stacking teams imo since it forms a nice core with gholdengo+ tinglu

3. In the tier I think it is easier than ever to just use court change cinderace + whatever spin mon to deal with most forms of hazards outside of the mentioned mons. Spin is just a good move these days and makes mons like GT much more threatening, it isn't a waste of a move slot especially on offensive tusk sets or bulk up. Cinderace is just flat out useful especially for faster paced teams which dont want to waste turns getting in a mon to clear hazards. Although Screens HO has died down a lot it is still pretty funny just yoinking their screens while they had no idea you could even do that, especially vs a grimmsnarl who doesnt even consider taunting you half the time.

View attachment 516334

1. I've actually been skipping Rocks on my last few teams for Spikes. The mons I most want Rocks for chip damage run HDB very consistently, so I've been finding getting a full 1/8th on Pokemon that don't fear Rocks like most of the Fighting-types is getting me more mileage. The huge Spikes distribution uptick has been instrumental in that.

2. Haven't run any sub-OU mons for hazards (yet, give me Kleavor), but I am still a fan of Scarf Shocks with Ice Tera Blast.

3. I'm basic, HDB Tusk is basically the king of hazard removal this gen and while I like that Iron Moth can switch into T. Spikes to remove them, spin2win will always be my preferred way to get rid of hazards.

Fucking Gholdengo.

Roller K

detached
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
Chesnaught in my opinion, while still in experimental phase, has been quite nice as a pseudo-Ferrothorn not vulnerable to Great Tusk. While it may sound stupid, I feel the his special attacking options have been slept on. I particular I feel Leaf Storm is a much better option than Wood Hammer, as the two major targets of grass coverage, Great Tusk and Dondozo, are hit much harder by it, with the latter in particular even ignoring the Spa drop due to Unaware.
I haven't tested with many Chesnaught sets yet, but the one set I've been using a lot on a bulky HStack team has Giga Drain. It can sit on Great Tusk, set up Spikes in its face, eat up hits and damage with Rocky Helmet, and deal great damage with Giga Drain while healing itself. Even if Tusk switches out, Chesnaught still gains some health with Giga Drain and gives it more longevity.
Chesnaught @ Rocky Helmet
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
:great-tusk: 0- SpA Chesnaught Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 188-224 (50.6 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:great-tusk: 0- SpA Chesnaught Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Great Tusk: 186-222 (42.8 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
:dondozo: 0- SpA Chesnaught Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 162-192 (32.1 - 38%) -- 93.8% chance to 3HKO

1. With how common Cinderace and Hatterene are, webs are not ideal. If anything, if you run webs, pair it with Defiant Kingambit as a failsafe. Webs are not entirely unviable thanks to Gholdengo making removal pretty annoying when combined with other Ghosts. As for spikes, I would argue that they are better than rocks in the current meta. There aren't enough Pokemon punished by rocks, and most of them run boots (barring Torkoal and most Iron Moth sets). On the other hand, spikes chip away at the most common Pokemon in the meta that would otherwise be difficult to break. Great Tusk does not want to take 12.5 - 25% of its health every time it comes on the field in order to remove those hazards. Webs are super niche and Spikes are great.

2. Toedscruel is the best sub-UU hazard setter. It can use Spikes on Hatterene, put Hatterene/Garganacl/Gholdengo to sleep with Spore, Knock Off some items, Rapid Spin hazards away, and take on many special attackers with its 80 HP and 120 SpD. Admittedly, I have not used Toedscruel in a while, but that's mainly because I used it nonstop during the Chien-Pao meta and got voting reqs from it. It just got a little stale for me and also struggled during the Walking Wake & Orthworm metas. Other notable mentions are Sandy Shocks being a great Booster Energy lead with Spikes and/or Stealth Rock; Tinkaton being a solid specially defensive Pokemon that can set up Rocks on Hatterene and punish it with Gigaton Hammer; Blissey on stall teams setting up Rocks fairly easily; and Greninja running Spikes on some sets.

3. Cinderace, Iron Moth, and Amoonguss. Cinderace is easily the best option since it can handle all hazards and switch them to the other side. Iron Moth and Amoonguss are similar to the other Poison-types since they can absorb the T-Spikes. One set I've been enjoying with Moth is boots with Toxic Spikes of its own. Moth can usually force switches, and nobody in their right mind will bring Hatterene in on Moth, so it can usually get a free layer of T-Spikes and force the opponent into an awkward situation.

For
My stance regarding Lord Buckethead, aka Ting-Lu.
Standard (Rocks, Spikes, EQ, WW) set= Bad.
Rest sets (Talk or not, hazards or not) = Good
Offensive sets= Must be explored.
Me, the standard set is great just because it is so consistent, from the start of the gen to now it has worked very well for me. The rest set seems like is trying to punish popular stuff, while it may work rn, just like it is an adaptation to certain sets in other mons other mons are going to run sets to exploit it too soon, at least that is the impression I got.

With a moveset of

Hydro Pump
Ceaseless Edge

I feel like in some ways the only reason anyone should ever run this is because of the spammability of Sharpness Ceaseless Edge.

252+ Atk Choice Band Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Ceaseless Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 160-189 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just clip the dumb bird for 10% chip at some point or simply spam it until Corviknight runs out of Roosts or gets crit. Don't overthink it. Even if the opponent switches in a resist you managed to chip it and set a layer of Spikes. Mixed EV LO Hydro Pump will 2HKO Corviknight but it seems like you're giving up on a lot to do so, and if you aren't spamming powerful Ceaseless Edges just use a different Pokemon.

Roller K

detached
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
My stance regarding Lord Buckethead, aka Ting-Lu.
Standard (Rocks, Spikes, EQ, WW) set= Bad.
Rest sets (Talk or not, hazards or not) = Good
Offensive sets= Must be explored.
Rest has grown on me a lot. I made this set recently for a stall team, and it has been putting in great work:

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ruination
- Spite
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Being able to switch in on status freely, bait recovery moves with Ruination, and destroy half the recovery PP with Spite is a great feeling. Pair this with Pressure Corviknight and the opponent will hate you.

Decidueye
Type:
GrassIC_Big.png
/
GhostIC_Big.png

0724Decidueye.png

"Decidueye is a tall, avian Pokémon that resembles an owl. The backs of its wings and torso are dotted with many white spots, there are six on each wing. The inside of each wing has a line of upside-down, reddish-orange triangles across the top." - Bulbapedia

"Great Tusk? More like Dead Husk amirite?" - Morkal

BASE STATLEVEL 100 STAT RANGE
HP:
266 - 360
Attack:
197 - 344
Defense:
139 - 273
Sp. Atk:
184 - 328
Sp. Def:
184 - 328
Speed:
130 - 262

One of the most criminally underrated starters of all time (putting Incineroar in Smash Bros Ultimate instead of Decidueye? Come on Sakurai why would you do this to us?), Decidueye is an interesting Pokemon that can seem a little awkward at first with an interesting but awkward typing, movepool, and stat spread. However, Decidueye is more primed for OU now than it has ever been thanks to the advent of Tera, a more hospitable environment, and a uniquely unmatched defensive profile. So let's make like Decidueye's Robin Hood inspirations and steal opportunities from OU titans to redistribute openings to our team members.

Disclaimer: Decidueye has some very notable weaknesses to Ghost, Ice, Fire, Dark, and Flying-type attacks that can be taken advantage of if you're not prepared and as such it cannot be plopped on a team without preparation beforehand. I highly recommend researching tri-core team compositions, and common meta movesets before using Decidueye. If you take the time to build around Decidueye, it can be an absolutely monstrous member of your team's squad!

Decidueye's Summarized OU Advantages
"This is a "too long; didn't read" for people who don't want to read through the whole post and just want a quick, summarized glance at Decidueye's OU advantages."
  • Decidueye's defensive profile is stellar in OU's current climate, giving it crucial immunities to Normal (Extremespeed) and Fighting-type attacks, along with vital resistances to Electric, Grass, Ground, and Water-type attacks. Additionally, it is one of the few defensive Grass-types that has a neutrality to both Bug and Poison-type attacks rather than a weakness to them.
  • Decidueye's access to reliable recovery in Roost along with a solid defensive stat spread of 78/75/100 makes Decidueye deceptively hard to take down without status.
  • Decidueye's role compression means it can act as a bulky boosting Pokemon that exerts offensive pressure, defensive prowess, and trapping utility, utilizing Swords Dance (or Nasty Plot) in tandem with its great STAB combination and the previously mentioned Roost.
  • Decidueye is one of the few Pokemon that can effectively counter most Garganacl variants and can also check/counter a multitude of common sets of frightening OU staples such as Great Tusk, Hatterene, Iron Treads, Clodsire, Slowking, Dragonite, Rotom-Wash, Dondozo, Ting-Lu, Iron Valiant, and Azumarill.
  • Decidueye's signature move Spirit Shackle is a powerful physical Ghost STAB move that traps your opponent's Pokemon and prevents them from switching out - this can not only allow you to trap some pesky, slower threats and use them as set-up fodder. Additionally, its main grass STAB Leaf Blade is powerful, spammable, and (while situational) has a high critical hit ratio that can come in handy in a pinch.
  • Decidueye's ability Long Reach means that using Leaf Blade won't trigger the effects of pesky abilities like Flame Body or moves like Toxapex's Baneful Bunker (please note that Glimmora's Toxic Debris is still activated even with Long Reach).
  • Decidueye's Grass-typing gives it a useful immunity to both Spore and Leech Seed while Decidueye's Ghost-typing gives it an immunity to Rapid Spin, giving it inherent role compressed tech utility as both a spin blocker and spore blocker by virtue of its almost entirely unique type combination (only shared by Brambleghast).
  • Decidueye's 70 base speed is solid, and with merely 4 EVs invested outspeeds a multitude of common bulky OU threats.
  • Decidueye matches up very well against common stall team builds/cores and excels against slower matchups or bulky Pokemon variants without speed investment.

Swords Dance Bulky Trapper Decidueye
724MS8.png

Decidueye @ Leftovers / Lum Berry / Covert Cloak
Ability: Long Reach
Tera Type: Grass or Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade

My Personal Preferred Set Variant

Decidueye @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Grass
Impish Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade

Offensive Pressure and Boosting Potential

Before we go into any analysis - I'd like to stress something very important before we go over each facet of Decidueye individually:

If you have Decidueye in on a Pokemon you feel comfortable staying in on, you should almost always use Spirit Shackle first unless you are very sure that using one of your other moves will be more beneficial at that moment. The trapping utility + pressure is more important than the immediate damage.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's start by looking at Decidueye's offensive potential thanks to its neat combination of Grass/Ghost STAB offense. Decidueye's function is meant to be that of a bulky offensive trapper that can set up and wear down teams over time (with the looming threat of punching holes with Swords Dance being a constant fear). Leaf Blade is a powerful base 90 physical Grass-type attack with a heightened critical hit chance (useful in a pinch) - additionally, thanks to Decidueye's signature ability Long Reach, Leaf Blade does not have any of the drawbacks of being a contact move. Let's take a look at just how much damage Leaf Blade can do with some damage calculations both with Swords Dance boosts and without. Even with 0 attack EV investment, Decidueye can hit some surprising benchmarks for its damage output.

Leaf Blade Damage Calculations (With and Without Swords Dance)
GrassIC_Big.png

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 246-290 (60.8 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 492-578 (121.7 - 143%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 153-181 (33 - 39%) -- 11.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 306-361 (66 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (for Water Absorb variants, Unaware will ignore Decidueye's Swords Dance Boosts)

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dondozo: 182-216 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- 94.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 134-162 (26.5 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (Dondozo almost always runs Unaware so we don't need Swords Dance calculations here, but most Dondozo sets are countered by Decidueye regardless)

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 108-127 (30.2 - 35.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 214-253 (59.9 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garganacl: 164-194 (40.5 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Garganacl: 134-158 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 8.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Garganacl: 264-312 (65.3 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garganacl: 326-386 (80.6 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Glimmora: 112-133 (36.4 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Glimmora: 223-264 (72.6 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 164-194 (44.2 - 52.2%) -- 14.5% chance to 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 324-384 (87.3 - 103.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 122-146 (28.1 - 33.6%) -- 94.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 246-290 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Treads: 88-105 (27.4 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Treads: 175-207 (54.5 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 112-133 (38.7 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 225-265 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Wash: 194-230 (63.8 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Wash: 390-458 (128.2 - 150.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Rotom-Wash: 144-170 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Rotom-Wash: 284-336 (93.4 - 110.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Slowking: 246-290 (62.5 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Slowking: 488-576 (124.1 - 146.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ting-Lu: 168-200 (32.6 - 38.9%) -- 6.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ting-Lu: 338-398 (65.7 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Toxapex: 72-85 (23.7 - 28%) -- 89.9% chance to 4HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Toxapex: 144-169 (47.5 - 55.7%) -- 78.1% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 111-132 (32.7 - 38.9%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 222-262 (65.4 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zoroark-Hisui: 156-184 (62.1 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zoroark-Hisui: 310-366 (123.5 - 145.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Combined with the luck value of Leaf Blade's nasty critical hit ratio, this can help wear down quite a few threats on your opponent's team - and unless they want to be trapped, they'll be switching out of Decidueye quite a bit. Trapped, you say? Decidueye's signature move Spirit Shackle is a base 80 physical Ghost-type move with the added benefit of trapping any Pokemon that gets hit by it (we'll get more into why this trapping utility is vital and the crux of Decidueye's utility later). Let's take a gander at some damage calculations for Spirit Shackle against various threats both with and without Swords Dance boosts.

Spirit Shackle Damage Calculations (With and Without Swords Dance)
GhostIC_Big.png

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 91-108 (21 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 180-213 (41.6 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur: 99-117 (26.6 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur: 195-231 (52.5 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 109-130 (41.7 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 220-259 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ceruledge: 218-260 (61.5 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ceruledge: 440-518 (124.2 - 146.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 117-138 (38.8 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 231-273 (76.7 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 234-276 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 462-546 (145.7 - 172.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 96-114 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 20.6% chance to 3HKO (Post-Multiscale)
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 190-225 (58.8 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Post-Multiscale)

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 192-228 (60.9 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 380-450 (120.6 - 142.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 134-162 (35.4 - 42.8%) -- 93.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 270-320 (71.4 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Hatterene: 144-170 (45.2 - 53.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Hatterene: 284-336 (89.3 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Moth: 138-163 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Moth: 276-325 (91.6 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 124 Def Iron Moth: 115-136 (38.2 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 124 Def Iron Moth: 229-271 (76 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge: 186-218 (45.2 - 53%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 40+ Def Skeledirge: 162-192 (39.3 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Skeledirge exclusively runs Unaware so Swords Dance calculations are irrelevant)

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 52-63 (15.1 - 18.3%) -- possible 6HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 103-123 (30 - 35.8%) -- 35.4% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 130-154 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 259-306 (83.2 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Volcarona: 112-133 (30 - 35.6%) -- 34% chance to 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Volcarona: 223-264 (59.7 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Given that +2 is just one boost from Swords Dance, and that you can potentially get +4 or even +6 if you trap a Pokemon that can't do anything against Decidueye, you could potentially bulldoze through your opponent's weakened team in the mid-late game (or at the very least punching huge holes in your opponent's team composition).
724MS8.png

Speed Tier, Move Utility, Terastallizing, and Item Choice

Now that we've seen the potential of Decidueye's offensive capabilities, let's take a quick look at Decidueye's speed; with base 70 speed and 4 EVs, Decidueye reaches a respectable speed stat of 177. For a bulky attacker focused on trapping slower threats and dismantling cores, this is a great speed tier that allows Decidueye to naturally outspeed Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Azumarill, Breloom (uninvested), Clodsire, Corviknight (uninvested, needs 32 EVs on neutral nature to outspeed Decidueye), Dondozo, Garganacl, Hatterene, Iron Hands, Kingambit, Orthworm, Skeledirge (most variants are outsped, including the 28 speed EV Substitute variant which only reaches a speed stat of 175), Slowking, Ting-Lu, Torkoal, and Toxapex. By virtue of this speed tier alone, Decidueye can force out a multitude of Pokemon lest they risk being trapped by Spirit Shackle.

Speaking of Spirit Shackle, beyond the offensive capabilities that we discussed earlier, you might be thinking "Why is this move so crucial in the current meta?" It's simple - it forces switches in disadvantageous situations. Let's take a look at Garganacl (without Covert Cloak) - Garganacl is always forced to switch when Decidueye comes in; if it doesn't switch (let's say it uses Salt Cure), it becomes trapped by Spirit Shackle and allows Decidueye to easily set up Swords Dance boosts while recovering damage off with Roost. Iron Defense won't work for Body Press boosts as Decidueye is immune, Leaf Blade additionally has a heightened critical hit rate which can cut right through Iron Defense boosts in a pinch alongside Swords Dance boosts. PP stalling with Curse or Iron Defense also won't work as Decidueye can PP stall with Swords Dance which has 8 more PP than Iron Defense, Swords Dance can additionally rack up offensive boosts faster than Curse can which can leave Garganacl feeling overwhelmed without any recourse.

Garganacl isn't the only defensive Pokemon invalidated by Spirit Shackle's trapping capabilities. If hit by Spirit Shackle; Regenerator Pokemon such as Amoonguss can't switch out to regain HP (Amoonguss additionally can't use Spore on Decidueye), Rest users such as Dondozo can't switch out after regaining health, Choice Locked users are stuck spamming one move, and various Pokemon that would dip in and out to serve specific functions are now forced to stay in on Decidueye. Spirit Shackle's utility is further aided by access to Roost (or Synthesis if you're running a sun team), a wonderful reliable recovery move. Spirit Shackle also has another benefit - preventing double-switching on Pokemon that your opponent sends in, relieving some of your own prediction pressures when going against troublesome team cores. Leaf Blade's power and Roost's longevity are made more threatening because of Spirit Shackle's ability to force matchups unfavorable for your opponent.

So now you're probably wondering - what Tera type should I choose for Decidueye? It depends entirely on the threats you want Decidueye to be able to turn the tables on. Personally, I prefer Tera Grass as it alleviates my biggest issue with Decidueye - its Knock Off weakness, and further powers up Leaf Blade's strikes to astronomical levels with a Swords Dance boost(s). However, Tera Ghost has additional utility as well - being able to instantly neutralize Decidueye's weaknesses to Fire, Ice, and Flying-type attacks while also gaining resistances to Poison and Bug-type attacks (instead of just being neutral to them) while boosting the power of Spirit Shackle. For more specific defensive options, Tera Poison, Tera Water, and Tera Steel all have situational usage - but the power boost for your Grass/Ghost moves can be sorely missed, so choose wisely.

As for your choice of item, I highly recommend either Leftovers or Covert Cloak - Leftovers is what I use predominately as the additional HP recovery I've found to be a lifesaver in high-stress situations. However, Covert Cloak has the benefit of protecting Decidueye from certain rogue status effects of nasty moves like Sludge Bomb, and since Decidueye has Roost/Synthesis I would consider Covert Cloak another great item choice for Decidueye. A third more fringe option that I've had some success with is Lum Berry to turn the tables on specific nasty utility threats such as Hex Gholdengo/Hex Dragapult (especially with Tera Grass as my listed preferred Tera type for Decidueye). Heavy-Duty Boots is technically an option as well, but I recommend running a Rapid Spin user instead as Decidueye's item should directly benefit its defensive prowess universally rather than just against certain types of teams (I'll recommend some Rapid Spin partners for Decidueye later in the post).
724MS8.png

Defensive Prowess and Resistance Profile

Speaking of defensive prowess; now that we've gone over just how much offensive pressure Decidueye can exert with and without boosts (along with the various aspects of its utility options), I'd like us to take a gander at Decidueye's defensive prowess. With this set's EV spread, Decidueye has 360 HP, 273 Defense, and 236 Special Defense. This may not seem impressive on its own, but then we remember that Decidueye's not meant to be a wall, but a bulky longevity-focused attacker with a defensive profile that allows it to resist/be immune to some of the most powerful attacks in OU. So let's take a look at calculations so you can see the types of attacks that Decidueye can take in stride and, in some cases, entirely shrug off.

Defensive Calculations
GrassIC_Big.png
/
GhostIC_Big.png

Physical Calculations

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 73-87 (20.2 - 24.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 154-183 (42.7 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 137-162 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Belly Drum)

252+ Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 87-102 (24.1 - 28.3%) -- approx. possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 145-170 (40.2 - 47.2%) -- approx. 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Clodsire Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 37-44 (10.2 - 12.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 Atk Dondozo Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 39-47 (10.8 - 13%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252+ Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 53-63 (14.7 - 17.5%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 160-190 (44.4 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 114-135 (31.6 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 59-69 (16.3 - 19.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Garganacl Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 31-37 (8.6 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 Atk Garganacl Salt Cure vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 39-46 (10.8 - 12.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever (If Garganacl makes the mistake of using Salt Cure on Decidueye instead of switching and gets trapped by Spirit Shackle, it becomes setup fodder)

252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 85-101 (23.6 - 28%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 184-218 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 59-69 (16.3 - 19.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 152-180 (42.2 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 127-150 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- 83.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 228-270 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

116+ Atk Iron Hands Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 150-178 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
116+ Atk Iron Hands Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 56-66 (15.5 - 18.3%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
200+ Atk Choice Band Iron Hands Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 79-93 (21.9 - 25.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
200+ Atk Choice Band Iron Hands Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 106-126 (29.4 - 35%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Iron Treads Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 63-75 (17.5 - 20.8%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Iron Treads Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 102-121 (28.3 - 33.6%) -- 96.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Iron Treads Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 166-196 (46.1 - 54.4%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO

4 Atk Iron Valiant Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 152-180 (42.2 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Iron Valiant Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 184-218 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Iron Valiant Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 40-47 (11.1 - 13%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 Atk Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 51-60 (14.1 - 16.6%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

Special Calculations

0 SpA Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 84-100 (23.3 - 27.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
180 SpA Dragapult Hex (65 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 168-200 (46.6 - 55.5%) -- 73.8% chance to 2HKO (Exclusively for Decidueye's Lum Berry Set Variant)

252+ SpA Life Orb Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 220-259 (61.1 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Gholdengo Hex (65 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 180-212 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Exclusively for Decidueye's Lum Berry Set Variant)

252 SpA Glimmora Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 49-58 (13.6 - 16.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Glimmora Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 132-156 (36.6 - 43.3%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Glimmora Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 156-184 (43.3 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Hatterene Draining Kiss vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 70-84 (19.4 - 23.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Hatterene Mystical Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 142-168 (39.4 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Hatterene Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 97-115 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 42.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

0- SpA Iron Treads Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 17-21 (4.7 - 5.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 147-174 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Iron Valiant Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 72-85 (20 - 23.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Iron Valiant Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 46-55 (12.7 - 15.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 62-73 (17.2 - 20.2%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-Wash Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 39-47 (10.8 - 13%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 SpA Slowking Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 129-153 (35.8 - 42.5%) -- 91.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Slowking Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 48-57 (13.3 - 15.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ SpA Toxapex Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 93-111 (25.8 - 30.8%) -- 4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's not just the bulk that creates switch-in opportunities, Decidueye has a very useful and rare Grass/Ghost type combination (only shared with one other Pokemon, Brambleghast, which cannot act in a similarly bulky manner because of its more frail 55/70/70 defensive stat spread). Grass/Ghost as a type combination resists Electric, Grass, Ground, and Water-type attacks while having immunities to Fighting and Normal-type attacks. Let's take a look at some OU-type combinations (specifically leaving out Chesnaught and Inteleon, as they likely won't be OU next shift) and how they specifically relate to Decidueye's defensive typing.

OU Type Synergy
GrassIC_Big.png
/
GhostIC_Big.png

Resists/Immune to all STAB types

Breloom (Grass/Fighting) - Resists Grass, Immune to Fighting
Dondozo (Water) - Resists Water
Great Tusk (Ground/Fighting) - Resists Ground, Immune to Fighting
Iron Hands (Fighting/Electric) - Resists Electric, Immune to Fighting
Rotom-Wash (Electric/Water) - Resists Electric, Resists Water

Resists/Immune to one STAB type

Amoonguss (Grass/Poison) - Resists Grass, Neutral to Poison
Azumarill (Water/Fairy) - Resists Water, Neutral to Fairy
Clodsire (Poison/Ground) - Resists Ground, Neutral to Poison
Garchomp (Dragon/Ground) - Resists Ground, Neutral to Dragon
Iron Leaves (Grass/Psychic) - Resists Grass, Neutral to Psychic
Iron Treads (Ground/Steel) - Resists Ground, Neutral to Steel
Iron Valiant (Fairy/Fighting) - Resists Fighting, Neutral to Fairy
Meowscarada (Grass/Dark) - Resists Grass, Weak to Dark
Slowking (Water/Psychic) - Resists Water, Neutral to Psychic
Ting-Lu (Dark/Ground) - Resists Ground, Weak to Dark
Toxapex (Poison/Water) - Resists Water, Neutral to Poison
Walking Wake (Water/Dragon) - Resists Water, Neutral to Dragon
Zoroark-Hisui (Normal/Ghost) - Immune to Normal, Weak to Ghost

Neutral to all STAB types

Garganacl (Rock) - Neutral to Rock
Glimmora (Rock/Poison) - Neutral to Rock, Neutral to Poison
Hatterene (Psychic/Fairy) - Neutral to Psychic, Neutral to Fairy
Orthworm (Steel) - Neutral to Steel

18 out of 36 Pokemon in OU/BL (exactly 50%) have at least one STAB type resisted by Decidueye's defensive type combination. Additionally, Decidueye's Grass/Ghost type combination resists both STAB types (or in Dondozo's case, its only STAB type) of five of the 18 mentioned OU/BL Pokemon. The majority of the Pokemon listed above do not have a super effective STAB type against Decidueye as well (with the only three exceptions being Meowscarada, Ting-Lu, and Zoroark-Hisui). By comparison, the only Pokemon whose STABS are both super effective (or in Cinderace/Torkoal's cases, their only STAB type) against Decidueye's defensive type combination are Ceruledge, Cinderace, Skeledirge, and Torkoal. This is where the utility of Decidueye's defensive typing comes into play, as there are many predictable switch-in opportunities just by virtue of half of the metagame's STAB combinations being conducive towards Decidueye.

Additionally, some of the more critical Pokemon with STAB types that would be super effective against Decidueye don't run one of their STAB moves as a common option - Dragonite lost access to Dual Wingbeat so it more often runs Fire Punch or Ice Spinner as it has no usable physical Flying-type STAB beyond Aerial Ace (and with bulky sets, it sometimes doesn't even run either of those super effective coverage moves). Ting-Lu's main Dark-type move, Ruination, is fixed at removing 1/2 of the opponent's remaining HP and does not deal super-effective damage, and does not run Throat Chop as often as it should (given that, as stated above by Eeveeto there is a lot of unexplored potential with Ting-Lu's offensive set capabilities). The general point is that more often than not, your opponent will be the one having to find ways to play around Decidueye's defensive profile thanks to the combination of bulk, typing, longevity, and pressure.

Decidueye's defensive-type combination has a couple of small utility benefits as well, allowing some unique role compression only shared by the previously mentioned Brambleghast. Decidueye's Grass-typing gives it immunity to both Spore and Leech Seed, which are both heinous moves for a defensive Pokemon to have to contend with. Immunity to Spore/Leech Seed specifically means that Decidueye is a great switch-in for Amoonguss, Breloom, and Toedscruel (which I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually joins OU as a mainstay at some point). Decidueye's Ghost-typing means that it also blocks Rapid Spin, meaning that opposing spinners such as Great Tusk cannot spin away your hazards and are either forced to attack or switch.

Potential Team Options

Rapid Spin Support + Hazards

250px-0984Great_Tusk.png
250px-0990Iron_Treads.png

Great Tusk and Iron Treads both make fantastic partners for Decidueye due to their powerful/useful STAB combinations, great bulk, and access to Rapid Spin along with their own hazards. Great Tusk is the best glue in OU currently and is incredibly easy to slot onto teams, while Iron Treads has a few unique options and a great speed tier that can also be highly beneficial. Both Great Tusk and Iron Treads can set Stealth Rocks up themselves, providing crucial role compression that can work very well with Decidueye's existing role compression.

Wish Support + Magic Bounce

Hatterene is, in my opinion, one of the best defensive Pokemon in OU currently; having access to Magic Bounce to bounce back hazards or status moves at the drop of a hat is crucial in key match moments and can determine whether or not you win or lose a match through residual damage alone. Additionally, Hatterene's access to moves such as Nuzzle to slow your opponent's team down along with Mystical Fire to weaken some notable Special Attacking threats makes Hatterene one of Decidueye's best partners. Additionally, I would like to recommend Alomomola as a wonderful Wish user that has strong bulk, great mono-water typing, and additional useful moves such as Whirlpool and Chilling Water that can aid in a bind and create more switch-in opportunities.

Conclusion
369px-Moon_Decidueye_Adventures.png

Decidueye is one of the most powerful sub-OU Pokemon that I've used in the tier for a long time, and I feel that it's more powerful now in this current OU climate than it has ever been in previous generations. Its unique type combination, well-rounded stats, and unique movepool (with many options I didn't talk about here such as Nasty Plot) lead to a role-compressed juggernaut that quite a few common team compositions simply aren't prepared for. So if you feel your team needs something unique to occupy multiple roles in a way that no other Pokemon in the metagame can mimic, consider aiming your bow toward Decidueye and marking it down as a target for your next team!

(This post ended up being longer than my Psychology dissertation in college somehow lol; I tried some new formatting with this post, and I hope you all enjoy it and find it a little easier to read than previous posts of mine!)

Last edited:

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Decidueye
Quick guide on what to do when you see a Morkal post

1) Give a Like, Love works too
2) reply his post with one of these following sample lines
- Goat
- Great Post man, keep it up
- I hope one day you get a spot on the OU Council
- We need more people like you
- Certified Hood Classic
- Morbius
3) Post and continue with your day knowing that there's people working for the heat sets we love

I feel like in some ways the only reason anyone should ever run this is because of the spammability of Sharpness Ceaseless Edge.

252+ Atk Choice Band Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Ceaseless Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 160-189 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just clip the dumb bird for 10% chip at some point or simply spam it until Corviknight runs out of Roosts or gets crit. Don't overthink it. Even if the opponent switches in a resist you managed to chip it and set a layer of Spikes. Mixed EV LO Hydro Pump will 2HKO Corviknight but it seems like you're giving up on a lot to do so, and if you aren't spamming powerful Ceaseless Edges just use a different Pokemon.
I don't know about Choice Band. Since Ceaseless Edge is a contact move, and Stone Axe/Ceaseless Edge fail to set hazards if the user is knocked out by Rocky Helmet, it is good to switch your moves around. Mixed sets also have the massive advantage of hitting all Great Tusks and Glimmora, who otherwise troll Samurott-H.

Potential Team Options

View attachment 516456View attachment 516457
Great Tusk and Iron Treads both make fantastic partners for Decidueye due to their powerful/useful STAB combinations, great bulk, and access to Rapid Spin along with their own hazards. Great Tusk is the best glue in OU currently and is incredibly easy to slot onto teams, while Iron Treads has a few unique options and a great speed tier that can also be highly beneficial. Both Great Tusk and Iron Treads can set Stealth Rocks up themselves, providing crucial role compression that can work very well with Decidueye's existing role compression.​
Iron Treads is mentioned as a good mon, opinion invalid. (/s)

Decidueye
Type: View attachment 516356/View attachment 516357

View attachment 516355
"Decidueye is a tall, avian Pokémon that resembles an owl. The backs of its wings and torso are dotted with many white spots, there are six on each wing. The inside of each wing has a line of upside-down, reddish-orange triangles across the top." - Bulbapedia

"Great Tusk? More like Dead Husk amirite?" - Morkal

BASE STATLEVEL 100 STAT RANGE
HP:
266 - 360
Attack:
197 - 344
Defense:
139 - 273
Sp. Atk:
184 - 328
Sp. Def:
184 - 328
Speed:
130 - 262

One of the most criminally underrated starters of all time (putting Incineroar in Smash Bros Ultimate instead of Decidueye? Come on Sakurai why would you do this to us?), Decidueye is an interesting Pokemon that can seem a little awkward at first with an interesting but awkward typing, movepool, and stat spread. However, Decidueye is more primed for OU now than it has ever been thanks to the advent of Tera, a more hospitable environment, and a uniquely unmatched defensive profile. So let's make like Decidueye's Robin Hood inspirations and steal opportunities from OU titans to redistribute openings to our team members.

Disclaimer: Decidueye has some very notable weaknesses to Ghost, Ice, Fire, Dark, and Flying-type attacks that can be taken advantage of if you're not prepared and as such it cannot be plopped on a team without preparation beforehand. I highly recommend researching tri-core team compositions, and common meta movesets before using Decidueye. If you take the time to build around Decidueye, it can be an absolutely monstrous member of your team's squad!

Decidueye's Summarized OU Advantages
"This is a "too long; didn't read" for people who don't want to read through the whole post and just want a quick, summarized glance at Decidueye's OU advantages."
  • Decidueye's defensive profile is stellar in OU's current climate, giving it crucial immunities to Normal (Extremespeed) and Fighting-type attacks, along with vital resistances to Electric, Grass, Ground, and Water-type attacks. Additionally, it is one of the few defensive Grass-types that has a neutrality to both Bug and Poison-type attacks rather than a weakness to them.
  • Decidueye's access to reliable recovery in Roost along with a solid defensive stat spread of 78/75/100 makes Decidueye deceptively hard to take down without status.
  • Decidueye's role compression means it can act as a bulky boosting Pokemon that exerts offensive pressure, defensive prowess, and trapping utility, utilizing Swords Dance (or Nasty Plot) in tandem with its great STAB combination and the previously mentioned Roost.
  • Decidueye is one of the few Pokemon that can effectively counter most Garganacl variants and can also check/counter a multitude of common sets of frightening OU staples such as Great Tusk, Hatterene, Iron Treads, Clodsire, Slowking, Dragonite, Rotom-Wash, Dondozo, Ting-Lu, Iron Valiant, and Azumarill.
  • Decidueye's signature move Spirit Shackle is a powerful physical Ghost STAB move that traps your opponent's Pokemon and prevents them from switching out - this can not only allow you to trap some pesky, slower threats and use them as set-up fodder. Additionally, its main grass STAB Leaf Blade is powerful, spammable, and (while situational) has a high critical hit ratio that can come in handy in a pinch.
  • Decidueye's ability Long Reach means that using Leaf Blade won't trigger the effects of pesky abilities like Flame Body or moves like Toxapex's Baneful Bunker (please note that Glimmora's Toxic Debris is still activated even with Long Reach).
  • Decidueye's Grass-typing gives it a useful immunity to both Spore and Leech Seed while Decidueye's Ghost-typing gives it an immunity to Rapid Spin, giving it inherent role compressed tech utility as both a spin blocker and spore blocker by virtue of its almost entirely unique type combination (only shared by Brambleghast).
  • Decidueye's 70 base speed is solid, and with merely 4 EVs invested outspeeds a multitude of common bulky OU threats.
  • Decidueye matches up very well against common stall team builds/cores and excels against slower matchups or bulky Pokemon variants without speed investment.

Swords Dance Bulky Trapper Decidueye
View attachment 516368
Decidueye @ Leftovers / Lum Berry / Covert Cloak
Tera Type: Grass or Ghost
Impish Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade

My Personal Preferred Set Variant

Decidueye @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Grass
Impish Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade

Offensive Pressure and Boosting Potential

Before we go into any analysis - I'd like to stress something very important before we go over each facet of Decidueye individually:

If you have Decidueye in on a Pokemon you feel comfortable staying in on, you should almost always use Spirit Shackle first unless you are very sure that using one of your other moves will be more beneficial at that moment. The trapping utility + pressure is more important than the immediate damage.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's start by looking at Decidueye's offensive potential thanks to its neat combination of Grass/Ghost STAB offense. Decidueye's function is meant to be that of a bulky offensive trapper that can set up and wear down teams over time (with the looming threat of punching holes with Swords Dance being a constant fear). Leaf Blade is a powerful base 90 physical Grass-type attack with a heightened critical hit chance (useful in a pinch) - additionally, thanks to Decidueye's signature ability Long Reach, Leaf Blade does not have any of the drawbacks of being a contact move. Let's take a look at just how much damage Leaf Blade can do with some damage calculations both with Swords Dance boosts and without. Even with 0 attack EV investment, Decidueye can hit some surprising benchmarks for its damage output.

Leaf Blade Damage Calculations (With and Without Swords Dance)
View attachment 516356

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 246-290 (60.8 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 492-578 (121.7 - 143%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 153-181 (33 - 39%) -- 11.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 306-361 (66 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (for Water Absorb variants, Unaware will ignore Decidueye's Swords Dance Boosts)

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dondozo: 182-216 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- 94.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 134-162 (26.5 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (Dondozo almost always runs Unaware so we don't need Swords Dance calculations here, but most Dondozo sets are countered by Decidueye regardless)

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 108-127 (30.2 - 35.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 214-253 (59.9 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garganacl: 164-194 (40.5 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Garganacl: 134-158 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 8.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Garganacl: 264-312 (65.3 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garganacl: 326-386 (80.6 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Glimmora: 112-133 (36.4 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Glimmora: 223-264 (72.6 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 164-194 (44.2 - 52.2%) -- 14.5% chance to 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 324-384 (87.3 - 103.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 122-146 (28.1 - 33.6%) -- 94.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 246-290 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Treads: 88-105 (27.4 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Treads: 175-207 (54.5 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 112-133 (38.7 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 225-265 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Wash: 194-230 (63.8 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Wash: 390-458 (128.2 - 150.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Rotom-Wash: 144-170 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Rotom-Wash: 284-336 (93.4 - 110.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Slowking: 246-290 (62.5 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Slowking: 488-576 (124.1 - 146.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ting-Lu: 168-200 (32.6 - 38.9%) -- 6.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ting-Lu: 338-398 (65.7 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Toxapex: 72-85 (23.7 - 28%) -- 89.9% chance to 4HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Toxapex: 144-169 (47.5 - 55.7%) -- 78.1% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 111-132 (32.7 - 38.9%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 222-262 (65.4 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zoroark-Hisui: 156-184 (62.1 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zoroark-Hisui: 310-366 (123.5 - 145.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Combined with the luck value of Leaf Blade's nasty critical hit ratio, this can help wear down quite a few threats on your opponent's team - and unless they want to be trapped, they'll be switching out of Decidueye quite a bit. Trapped, you say? Decidueye's signature move Spirit Shackle is a base 80 physical Ghost-type move with the added benefit of trapping any Pokemon that gets hit by it (we'll get more into why this trapping utility is vital and the crux of Decidueye's utility later). Let's take a gander at some damage calculations for Spirit Shackle against various threats both with and without Swords Dance boosts.

Spirit Shackle Damage Calculations (With and Without Swords Dance)
View attachment 516357

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 91-108 (21 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 180-213 (41.6 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur: 99-117 (26.6 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur: 195-231 (52.5 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 109-130 (41.7 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 220-259 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ceruledge: 218-260 (61.5 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ceruledge: 440-518 (124.2 - 146.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 117-138 (38.8 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 231-273 (76.7 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 234-276 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 462-546 (145.7 - 172.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 96-114 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 20.6% chance to 3HKO (Post-Multiscale)
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 190-225 (58.8 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Post-Multiscale)

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 192-228 (60.9 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 380-450 (120.6 - 142.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 134-162 (35.4 - 42.8%) -- 93.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 270-320 (71.4 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Hatterene: 144-170 (45.2 - 53.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Hatterene: 284-336 (89.3 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Moth: 138-163 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Moth: 276-325 (91.6 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 124 Def Iron Moth: 115-136 (38.2 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 124 Def Iron Moth: 229-271 (76 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge: 186-218 (45.2 - 53%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 40+ Def Skeledirge: 162-192 (39.3 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Skeledirge exclusively runs Unaware so Swords Dance calculations are irrelevant)

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 52-63 (15.1 - 18.3%) -- possible 6HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 103-123 (30 - 35.8%) -- 35.4% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 130-154 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 259-306 (83.2 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Volcarona: 112-133 (30 - 35.6%) -- 34% chance to 3HKO
+2 0 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Volcarona: 223-264 (59.7 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Given that +2 is just one boost from Swords Dance, and that you can potentially get +4 or even +6 if you trap a Pokemon that can't do anything against Decidueye, you could potentially bulldoze through your opponent's weakened team in the mid-late game (or at the very least punching huge holes in your opponent's team composition).
View attachment 516368
Speed Tier, Move Utility, Terastallizing, and Item Choice

Now that we've seen the potential of Decidueye's offensive capabilities, let's take a quick look at Decidueye's speed; with base 70 speed and 4 EVs, Decidueye reaches a respectable speed stat of 177. For a bulky attacker focused on trapping slower threats and dismantling cores, this is a great speed tier that allows Decidueye to naturally outspeed Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Azumarill, Breloom (uninvested), Clodsire, Corviknight (uninvested, needs 32 EVs on neutral nature to outspeed Decidueye), Dondozo, Garganacl, Hatterene, Iron Hands, Kingambit, Orthworm, Skeledirge (most variants are outsped, including the 28 speed EV Substitute variant which only reaches a speed stat of 175), Slowking, Ting-Lu, Torkoal, and Toxapex. By virtue of this speed tier alone, Decidueye can force out a multitude of Pokemon lest they risk being trapped by Spirit Shackle.

Speaking of Spirit Shackle, beyond the offensive capabilities that we discussed earlier, you might be thinking "Why is this move so crucial in the current meta?" It's simple - it forces switches in disadvantageous situations. Let's take a look at Garganacl (without Covert Cloak) - Garganacl is always forced to switch when Decidueye comes in; if it doesn't switch (let's say it uses Salt Cure), it becomes trapped by Spirit Shackle and allows Decidueye to easily set up Swords Dance boosts while recovering damage off with Roost. Iron Defense won't work for Body Press boosts as Decidueye is immune, Leaf Blade additionally has a heightened critical hit rate which can cut right through Iron Defense boosts in a pinch alongside Swords Dance boosts. PP stalling with Curse or Iron Defense also won't work as Decidueye can PP stall with Swords Dance which has 8 more PP than Iron Defense, Swords Dance can additionally rack up offensive boosts faster than Curse can which can leave Garganacl feeling overwhelmed without any recourse.

Garganacl isn't the only defensive Pokemon invalidated by Spirit Shackle's trapping capabilities. If hit by Spirit Shackle; Regenerator Pokemon such as Amoonguss can't switch out to regain HP (Amoonguss additionally can't use Spore on Decidueye), Rest users such as Dondozo can't switch out after regaining health, Choice Locked users are stuck spamming one move, and various Pokemon that would dip in and out to serve specific functions are now forced to stay in on Decidueye. Spirit Shackle's utility is further aided by access to Roost (or Synthesis if you're running a sun team), a wonderful reliable recovery move. Spirit Shackle also has another benefit - preventing double-switching on Pokemon that your opponent sends in, relieving some of your own prediction pressures when going against troublesome team cores. Leaf Blade's power and Roost's longevity are made more threatening because of Spirit Shackle's ability to force matchups unfavorable for your opponent.

So now you're probably wondering - what Tera type should I choose for Decidueye? It depends entirely on the threats you want Decidueye to be able to turn the tables on. Personally, I prefer Tera Grass as it alleviates my biggest issue with Decidueye - its Knock Off weakness, and further powers up Leaf Blade's strikes to astronomical levels with a Swords Dance boost(s). However, Tera Ghost has additional utility as well - being able to instantly neutralize Decidueye's weaknesses to Fire, Ice, and Flying-type attacks while also gaining resistances to Poison and Bug-type attacks (instead of just being neutral to them) while boosting the power of Spirit Shackle. For more specific defensive options, Tera Poison, Tera Water, and Tera Steel all have situational usage - but the power boost for your Grass/Ghost moves can be sorely missed, so choose wisely.

As for your choice of item, I highly recommend either Leftovers or Covert Cloak - Leftovers is what I use predominately as the additional HP recovery I've found to be a lifesaver in high-stress situations. However, Covert Cloak has the benefit of protecting Decidueye from certain rogue status effects of nasty moves like Sludge Bomb, and since Decidueye has Roost/Synthesis I would consider Covert Cloak another great item choice for Decidueye. A third more fringe option that I've had some success with is Lum Berry to turn the tables on specific nasty utility threats such as Hex Gholdengo/Hex Dragapult (especially with Tera Grass as my listed preferred Tera type for Decidueye). Heavy-Duty Boots is technically an option as well, but I recommend running a Rapid Spin user instead as Decidueye's item should directly benefit its defensive prowess universally rather than just against certain types of teams (I'll recommend some Rapid Spin partners for Decidueye later in the post).
View attachment 516368
Defensive Prowess and Resistance Profile

Speaking of defensive prowess; now that we've gone over just how much offensive pressure Decidueye can exert with and without boosts (along with the various aspects of its utility options), I'd like us to take a gander at Decidueye's defensive prowess. With this set's EV spread, Decidueye has 360 HP, 273 Defense, and 236 Special Defense. This may not seem impressive on its own, but then we remember that Decidueye's not meant to be a wall, but a bulky longevity-focused attacker with a defensive profile that allows it to resist/be immune to some of the most powerful attacks in OU. So let's take a look at calculations so you can see the types of attacks that Decidueye can take in stride and, in some cases, entirely shrug off.

Defensive Calculations
View attachment 516356/View attachment 516357

Physical Calculations

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 73-87 (20.2 - 24.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 154-183 (42.7 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 137-162 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Belly Drum)

252+ Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 87-102 (24.1 - 28.3%) -- approx. possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 145-170 (40.2 - 47.2%) -- approx. 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Clodsire Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 37-44 (10.2 - 12.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 Atk Dondozo Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 39-47 (10.8 - 13%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252+ Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 53-63 (14.7 - 17.5%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 160-190 (44.4 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 114-135 (31.6 - 37.5%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 59-69 (16.3 - 19.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Garganacl Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 31-37 (8.6 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 Atk Garganacl Salt Cure vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 39-46 (10.8 - 12.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever (If Garganacl makes the mistake of using Salt Cure on Decidueye instead of switching and gets trapped by Spirit Shackle, it becomes setup fodder)

252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 85-101 (23.6 - 28%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 184-218 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 59-69 (16.3 - 19.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 152-180 (42.2 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 127-150 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- 83.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 228-270 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

116+ Atk Iron Hands Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 150-178 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
116+ Atk Iron Hands Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 56-66 (15.5 - 18.3%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
200+ Atk Choice Band Iron Hands Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 79-93 (21.9 - 25.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
200+ Atk Choice Band Iron Hands Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 106-126 (29.4 - 35%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Iron Treads Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 63-75 (17.5 - 20.8%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Iron Treads Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 102-121 (28.3 - 33.6%) -- 96.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Iron Treads Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 166-196 (46.1 - 54.4%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO

4 Atk Iron Valiant Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 152-180 (42.2 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Iron Valiant Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 184-218 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Iron Valiant Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 40-47 (11.1 - 13%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 Atk Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 51-60 (14.1 - 16.6%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

Special Calculations

0 SpA Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 84-100 (23.3 - 27.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
180 SpA Dragapult Hex (65 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 168-200 (46.6 - 55.5%) -- 73.8% chance to 2HKO (Exclusively for Decidueye's Lum Berry Set Variant)

252+ SpA Life Orb Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 220-259 (61.1 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Gholdengo Hex (65 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 180-212 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Exclusively for Decidueye's Lum Berry Set Variant)

252 SpA Glimmora Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 49-58 (13.6 - 16.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Glimmora Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 132-156 (36.6 - 43.3%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Glimmora Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 156-184 (43.3 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Hatterene Draining Kiss vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 70-84 (19.4 - 23.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Hatterene Mystical Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 142-168 (39.4 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Hatterene Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 97-115 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 42.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

0- SpA Iron Treads Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 17-21 (4.7 - 5.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 147-174 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Iron Valiant Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Decidueye: 72-85 (20 - 23.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Iron Valiant Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 46-55 (12.7 - 15.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 62-73 (17.2 - 20.2%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-Wash Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 39-47 (10.8 - 13%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 SpA Slowking Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 129-153 (35.8 - 42.5%) -- 91.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Slowking Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 48-57 (13.3 - 15.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ SpA Toxapex Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Decidueye: 93-111 (25.8 - 30.8%) -- 4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's not just the bulk that creates switch-in opportunities, Decidueye has a very useful and rare Grass/Ghost type combination (only shared with one other Pokemon, Brambleghast, which cannot act in a similarly bulky manner because of its more frail 55/70/70 defensive stat spread). Grass/Ghost as a type combination resists Electric, Grass, Ground, and Water-type attacks while having immunities to Fighting and Normal-type attacks. Let's take a look at some OU-type combinations (specifically leaving out Chesnaught and Inteleon, as they likely won't be OU next shift) and how they specifically relate to Decidueye's defensive typing.

OU Type Synergy
View attachment 516356/View attachment 516357

Resists/Immune to all STAB types

Breloom (Grass/Fighting) - Resists Grass, Immune to Fighting
Dondozo (Water) - Resists Water
Great Tusk (Ground/Fighting) - Resists Ground, Immune to Fighting
Iron Hands (Fighting/Electric) - Resists Electric, Immune to Fighting
Rotom-Wash (Electric/Water) - Resists Electric, Resists Water

Resists/Immune to one STAB type

Amoonguss (Grass/Poison) - Resists Grass, Neutral to Poison
Azumarill (Water/Fairy) - Resists Water, Neutral to Fairy
Clodsire (Poison/Ground) - Resists Ground, Neutral to Poison
Garchomp (Dragon/Ground) - Resists Ground, Neutral to Dragon
Iron Leaves (Grass/Psychic) - Resists Grass, Neutral to Psychic
Iron Treads (Ground/Steel) - Resists Ground, Neutral to Steel
Iron Valiant (Fairy/Fighting) - Resists Fighting, Neutral to Fairy
Meowscarada (Grass/Dark) - Resists Grass, Weak to Dark
Slowking (Water/Psychic) - Resists Water, Neutral to Psychic
Ting-Lu (Dark/Ground) - Resists Ground, Weak to Dark
Toxapex (Poison/Water) - Resists Water, Neutral to Poison
Walking Wake (Water/Dragon) - Resists Water, Neutral to Dragon
Zoroark-Hisui (Normal/Ghost) - Immune to Normal, Weak to Ghost

Neutral to all STAB types

Garganacl (Rock) - Neutral to Rock
Glimmora (Rock/Poison) - Neutral to Rock, Neutral to Poison
Hatterene (Psychic/Fairy) - Neutral to Psychic, Neutral to Fairy
Orthworm (Steel) - Neutral to Steel

18 out of 36 Pokemon in OU/BL (exactly 50%) have at least one STAB type resisted by Decidueye's defensive type combination. Additionally, Decidueye's Grass/Ghost type combination resists both STAB types (or in Dondozo's case, its only STAB type) of five of the 18 mentioned OU/BL Pokemon. The majority of the Pokemon listed above do not have a super effective STAB type against Decidueye as well (with the only three exceptions being Meowscarada, Ting-Lu, and Zoroark-Hisui). By comparison, the only Pokemon whose STABS are both super effective (or in Cinderace/Torkoal's cases, their only STAB type) against Decidueye's defensive type combination are Ceruledge, Cinderace, Skeledirge, and Torkoal. This is where the utility of Decidueye's defensive typing comes into play, as there are many predictable switch-in opportunities just by virtue of half of the metagame's STAB combinations being conducive towards Decidueye.

Additionally, some of the more critical Pokemon with STAB types that would be super effective against Decidueye don't run one of their STAB moves as a common option - Dragonite lost access to Dual Wingbeat so it more often runs Fire Punch or Ice Spinner as it has no usable physical Flying-type STAB beyond Aerial Ace (and with bulky sets, it sometimes doesn't even run either of those super effective coverage moves). Ting-Lu's main Dark-type move, Ruination, is fixed at removing 1/2 of the opponent's remaining HP and does not deal super-effective damage, and does not run Throat Chop as often as it should (given that, as stated above by Eeveeto there is a lot of unexplored potential with Ting-Lu's offensive set capabilities). The general point is that more often than not, your opponent will be the one having to find ways to play around Decidueye's defensive profile thanks to the combination of bulk, typing, longevity, and pressure.

Decidueye's defensive-type combination has a couple of small utility benefits as well, allowing some unique role compression only shared by the previously mentioned Brambleghast. Decidueye's Grass-typing gives it immunity to both Spore and Leech Seed, which are both heinous moves for a defensive Pokemon to have to contend with. Immunity to Spore/Leech Seed specifically means that Decidueye is a great switch-in for Amoonguss, Breloom, and Toedscruel (which I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually joins OU as a mainstay at some point). Decidueye's Ghost-typing means that it also blocks Rapid Spin, meaning that opposing spinners such as Great Tusk cannot spin away your hazards and are either forced to attack or switch.

Potential Team Options

View attachment 516456View attachment 516457
Great Tusk and Iron Treads both make fantastic partners for Decidueye due to their powerful/useful STAB combinations, great bulk, and access to Rapid Spin along with their own hazards. Great Tusk is the best glue in OU currently and is incredibly easy to slot onto teams, while Iron Treads has a few unique options and a great speed tier that can also be highly beneficial. Both Great Tusk and Iron Treads can set Stealth Rocks up themselves, providing crucial role compression that can work very well with Decidueye's existing role compression.

Wish Support + Magic Bounce

Hatterene is, in my opinion, one of the best defensive Pokemon in OU currently; having access to Magic Bounce to bounce back hazards or status moves at the drop of a hat is crucial in key match moments and can determine whether or not you win or lose a match through residual damage alone. Additionally, Hatterene's access to moves such as Nuzzle to slow your opponent's team down along with Mystical Fire to weaken some notable Special Attacking threats makes Hatterene one of Decidueye's best partners. Additionally, I would like to recommend Alomomola as a wonderful Wish user that has strong bulk, great mono-water typing, and additional useful moves such as Whirlpool and Chilling Water that can aid in a bind and create more switch-in opportunities.

Conclusion
View attachment 516464

Decidueye is one of the most powerful sub-OU Pokemon that I've used in the tier for a long time, and I feel that it's more powerful now in this current OU climate than it has ever been in previous generations. Its unique type combination, well-rounded stats, and unique movepool (with many options I didn't talk about here such as Nasty Plot) lead to a role-compressed juggernaut that quite a few common team compositions simply aren't prepared for. So if you feel your team needs something unique to occupy multiple roles in a way that no other Pokemon in the metagame can mimic, consider aiming your bow toward Decidueye and marking it down as a target for your next team!

(This post ended up being longer than my Psychology dissertation in college somehow lol; I tried some new formatting with this post, and I hope you all enjoy it and find it a little easier to read than previous posts of mine!)
Why not Leaf Storm for mons like Glimmora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)