SwagPlay, evaluating potential bans (basic definition of "uncompetitive" in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Do remember that Defog and Rapid Spin are going to be hoping for it to work through Confusion + Paralysis.

Do note the the only one that can really go through that is Excadrill which is immune to the Thunder Wave, but does not like the Confusion or the Foul Plays.

So carry a Lum Berry on every Pokemon even if its not optimal for the sake of a single troll team/set. Lets not forget Lum Berry works only once unless its a Harvest using Pokemon.
No, you carry a poke that can relaibly switch into Status inducing moves or is resistant to Dark moves. Or, even better you carry something that can use a lum berry, take the status move, then OHKO back. I thought Lum Berry Garchomp was still pretty viable, or is everyone running ScarfChomp again?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Or how about running SwagPlay without Prankster? Run the exact same Pokemon with their usual sets but without Prankster. But you don't want to run Magician Klefki or Limber Liepard? I rest my case.

During this whole thing no one suggested making Thunderwave illegal if Swagger and/or FoulPlay are already in the moveset. Without Thunderwave this tactic is severely underwhelming. Annoying, yes, but you can reliably combat it with Taunt and/or switching if the opponent cannot use Thunderwave, which is the only thing keeping this particular tactic/gimmick/ relevant.

I knew there was a reason I stopped lurking the forums >.<
that would make no impact whatsoever. Thunder Wave is only accessory and was not main point this potential ban.

This is not a ban on parafusion. Keep that in mind.

Not when they have a 50% chance of going off because they were confused.

Who says the SwagPlay user is the one setting up entry hazards?
And that's worse than Paralysis how? Confusion is manageable. Annoying yes, but so is your opponent playing a stall team and having every status move known to man.

Name a poke that can set up hazards on a Swagplay team thats not currently destroyed by extremely common OU pokes? In which case it comes down to predicting when your opponent would like to get hazards up and punishing them appropriately, like you would any other game.
Yes. Do remember that Defog and Rapid Spin are going to be hoping for it to work through Confusion + Paralysis.

Do note the the only one that can really go through that is Excadrill which is immune to the Thunder Wave, but does not like the Confusion or the Foul Plays.
You don't read do you?

I could careless I don't have a dog in the fight. Like I said I'd just like to see SwagPlay without any status moves.

The strategy is reliant on two major factors, the Atk boost and lack of attacking from Swagger and the Paralysis from Thunder Wave. Would just like to see half of the strategy in use.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
And that's worse than Paralysis how? Confusion is manageable. Annoying yes, but so is your opponent playing a stall team and having every status move known to man.

Name a poke that can set up hazards on a Swagplay team thats not currently destroyed by extremely common OU pokes? In which case it comes down to predicting when your opponent would like to get hazards up and punishing them appropriately, like you would any other game.

You don't read do you?
Please stop. Please stop posting. We don't need any more garbage in this thread. Thanks.

I'd actually like to see how SwagPlay bodes without status in general. I'd do it but I don't really have time to go laddering.
Sablee and Liepard get completely fucked over by toxic spikes (most swagg teams dont carry defog or rapid spin). Kleki doesn't mind the toxic but it can get fucked up by paralysis if you send a magic bouncer in the t-wave.

But nevermind that, people will still keep saying that there are no counter to this strategy.

And that's worse than Paralysis how? Confusion is manageable.
Paralysis - Speed Drop. 25% Chance of Doing Nothing. Electric Type Immune to it. Ground Types Immune to the most common method of Inducing it

Confusion - 50% of not only failing to do something to your opponent, its 50% chance of doing damage to yourself. Pokemon Immune to it are extremely limiting/niche.

At this point you can't be serious.

that would make no impact whatsoever. Thunder Wave is only accessory and was not main point this potential ban.

This is not a ban on parafusion. Keep that in mind.
No. Thunderwave makes this tactic go from gimmicky (like Baton pass teams) to downright dominating (apparently). Take out Thunderwave and the viablity of being able to switch once gain becomes a reliable option if you have a fairly well constructed team.

Or how about running SwagPlay without Prankster? Run the exact same Pokemon with their usual sets but without Prankster. But you don't want to run Magician Klefki or Limber Liepard? I rest my case.
If you are using those without prankster you may as well use another pokemon. T-wave is common and swagger is a very common TM that many pokemon can learn. I'm sure there are plenty of pokemon with better total stats that could run such sets.

BTW, what I still don't get is what makes this Gen different. Murkrow, Thundurus, Liepard and sableye could all use that strategy since last gen. The only new user is klefki. If anything, then just ban klefki to ubers.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you are using those without prankster you may as well use another pokemon. T-wave is common and swagger is a very common TM that many pokemon can learn. I'm sure there are plenty of pokemon with better total stats that could run such sets.

BTW, what I still don't get is what makes this Gen different. Murkrow, Thundurus, Liepard and sableye could all use that strategy since last gen. The only new user is klefki. If anything, then just ban klefki to ubers.
YOU MISSED THE POINT OF MY SAYING THAT. It's PRANKSTER that makes it broken, not parafusion. Why don't all of those other Pokemon without Prankster run parafusion? Because Prankster makes it viable, it's fine otherwise. Prankster makes it usable and broken.

Sablee and Liepard get completely fucked over by toxic spikes (most swagg teams dont carry defog or rapid spin). Kleki doesn't mind the toxic but it can get fucked up by paralysis if you send a magic bouncer in the t-wave.

But nevermind that, people will still keep saying that there are no counter to this strategy.
+2 0 Atk Liepard Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Xatu: 320-380 (95.8 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+2 0 Atk Liepard Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 318-374 (116.9 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

with 0 Atk IVs. This is my last post. I remember why I stopped posting in suspect threads, the ignorance is astounding.

EDIT;; made an oopsie since Xatu and Espeon don't get the +2 boost but they take a lot but I don't care to correct it because no one else cares about think about what they're saying anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paralysis - Speed Drop. 25% Chance of Doing Nothing. Electric Type Immune to it. Ground Types Immune to the most common method of Inducing it

Confusion - 50% of not only failing to do something to your opponent, its 50% chance of doing damage to yourself. Pokemon Immune to it are extremely limiting/niche.

Confusion: Goes away by just switching. Ends after some turns.

Paralysis: Stays forever. You need heal bell or rest to get rid of it.

I get what you mean but he has a point too.

Last edited:

I am serious. Use a SwagPlay team without ThunderWave and see how much you much less viable it is.

I'll wait.

^this gen, steel types don't resist foul play, and the fairies that do typically have piss poor defense. However, iirc Liepard was OU for Pokemon Online at the end of Gen V, while Gastrodon was in NU or something

regardless, it was probably never used because perma-weather was a much better team archetype than "4 annoyers plus 2 win conditions". This gen, with weather nerfed and mega-pokemon getting banned one by one (mega pinsir or zard X is next) swagplay looks like the go-to for people who want an effective team without wasting time teambuilding

Paralysis helps a lot indeed. One ofthe reasons being that the turns your pokemon doesn't move due to paralysis don't count towards the turns that confusion takes to end by itself.

^this gen, steel types don't resist foul play. However, iirc Liepard was OU for Pokemon Online, while Gastrodon was in NU or something
Thats true. On the other hand, the new fairy type resists dark, and we have a lot of powerfull priority users. I think CB Brave Bird from Talonflame OHKO Liepard, doesn't it?

Paralysis helps a lot indeed. One ofthe reasons being that the turns your pokemon doesn't move due to paralysis don't count towards the turns that confusion takes to end by itself.

Thats true. On the other hand, the new fairy type resists dark, and we have a lot of powerfull priority users. I think CB Brave Bird from Talonflame OHKO Liepard, doesn't it?
Yes.

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Liepard: 370-436 (111.7 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

But in the interest of fariness:

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 81-96 (25.4 - 30.1%) -- 1.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yes.

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Liepard: 370-436 (111.7 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

But in the interest of fariness:

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 81-96 (25.4 - 30.1%) -- 1.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
How much does Flare Blitz do?

How much does Flare Blitz do?
To Klefki?

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 326-386 (102.5 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

But it's not going to get that Flare Blitz in easily.

By the way, does anyone know if Mold Breaker/Teravolt stops Prankster?

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
This is a partly SwagPlay team with Chomp as it's Killer and Deo-D to stack hazards.

I won in the end, despite being haxed out. A lot. By thunder wave.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-91431180

To Klefki?

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 326-386 (102.5 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

But it's not going to get that Flare Blitz in easily.

By the way, does anyone know if Mold Breaker/Teravolt stops Prankster?
IIRC, it doesn't as it does not interfere with your aattcks, only the speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)