Sweeping Birds UU team

This is probably the best team I've made so far and it has been having great success on the UU ladder. The "strategy" (I use quotes because I deviate from the strategy whenever I possibly can) is to set up a Swellow or Altaria sweep. This strategy would seem less viable due to the inclusion of Donphan with Ice shard, but its a simple thing to work around. Also the team does not include a spinner because it was a much slower strategy when I tried incoporating spin support So here it is.

The Lead

Donphan @ Life Orb
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Adamant
Ev's 126 HP 252 atk 132 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Assurance
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard

This is a leadphan that is becoming pretty common in UU. I run it in almost a suicide fashion almost always letting it die. Rocks are still amazing and help every team. And the rest is just standard donphan fare. I chose life orb because it let me hit roserade leads harder and because it allows earthquake to have that extra bit of power to catch people off guard. Its not particularly amazing but it does what it does very well.

The Tank

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Careful
Evs: 252 Hp 100 atk 156 SpD
-Explosion
-Iron Head
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave

It pains me to run this registeel set for two reasons. Its bog standard and its my second poke with rocks. But this set has been working wonders. The rocks do help sometimes and its good enough with its other 3 moves to do major damage. This guy gets rid of threats left and right and the paraflinch hax work wonders sometimes. Plus explosion is always useful. Just a useful addition to any team.

The Wall

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Modest
Ev's: 252 Hp 240 Def 18 SpA
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Surf
-Toxic

Another pretty standard set. Rest-talking is a strategy I thought was stupid but lo and behold here I am with a rest talker. This milotic was primarily added as a status absorber and a status spreader. Plus its water typing and bulk allow it to be a good switch in for the 2 types, fire and ice, which together get super effective damage on every other member of the team. Plus it does decent damage to weakened opponents with its surf.

The Revenge Killer

Sceptile @ Choice Specs
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Timid
Ev: 252 Speed 252 SpA 6 Hp
-Energy Ball
-Dragon Pulse
-Hp Fire
-Focus Blast

Such a beautiful pokemon. The beauty of specstile is that the subseed sceptile set is so popular that people often mispredict on it. The other beauty of specstile is that its fast and strong as hell. I was on the fence between timid and modest nature but I wanted to outspeed ambipoms so I went with timid. Hp Fire and Focus Blast take care of steels while Energy Ball takes care of rocks. That sets up Swellow and Altaria for sweeps. Dragon Pulse is useful for neutral damage if I have multiple weak opponents left. Sceptile is really the anchor that allows the two birdies to do their sweeping.

Sweeper Birdie #1

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Ev's: 252 Atk 252 Speed 6 Hp
-Brave Bird
-Facade
-U turn
-Protect

Like Registeel a pretty common set. But my god this thing is a cold blooded murderer. Its pretty self explanatory. Protect and get toxic'd then go sweeping. U turn is if a steel or rock comes in after you kill a poke to get in a little damage. I play this swellow a little more recklessly then one would normally see and it pays off as people tend to stat boost or use predictions when they think I'm gonna switch swellow so you get a lot of damage in.

Sweeper Birdie #2

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Ev's: 72 Hp 252 Atk 184 Speed
-Roost
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake

This is another pretty standard set. And it complements the swellow set very well. The self boost then rampage operates quite differently then the swellow strategy. However both are extremely deadly. Altaria just needs a relatively safe switch in and then it can more likely than not start Ko-ing stuff after a single dragon dance and outrage. It even has earthquake for those pesky steel types. Plus that EQ opens up the door for swellow to thrive. Altaria takes on the role of a "bulkier sweeper" as it can actually take neutral hits fairly well.

Other Things of Note:
Theoretically Ice Shard on Donphan ruins both of my sweepers, but it hasn't really been a problem once.
Some scarf users have been troublesome but with good switching their effects can really be nullified.

So yeah. This team has been very successful so far and I look forward to any comments/advice.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I would really recommend scrapping stealth rock for rapid spin on donphan. Aiming to sweep with two flying types is probably a bad idea without a spinner. Registeel has an easy time getting the rocks up. Leaf storm > energy ball on sceptile. Two consecutive leaf storms do more than 2 energy balls, plus leaf storm is powerful enough to get some surpirse kills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)