Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Not sure if this was confirmed but I can tell you first hand that Rapid Spin DOES still remove entry hazards despite its text description being changed.

I noticed after Rolycoly's ability increases its speed drastically, Rapid Spin won't grant it a speed boost. Any idea why?

I noticed after Rolycoly's ability increases its speed drastically, Rapid Spin won't grant it a speed boost. Any idea why?
I think Steam Engine’s boost is +6. The “drastically” message gets used for any boost of +3 or more (e.g. Simple Amnesia), aside from Belly Drum. Other people have reported that the Steam Engine boost doesn’t activate more than once, which would make sense if the first boost took Rolycoly from +0 to +6.

Well, seeing how the game lets you see the number of buffs/debuffs on both your active Pokemon and the opponent, that should be fairly easy to test.

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Do Choice Items still buff Max-Moves?
I have not found better evidence yet but this should prove that Choice Band doesn't boost a dynamaxed mon's attack :
The fact that Weezing survived the max move with ~30% lets me believe that the choice band boost didn't apply. However it may be a bold 252 / 252 Weezing against a regular Darmanitan so this can't be taken as complete proof.

While I'm not entirely sure if it changes anything, Life Dew triggers Water Absorb even though it's already a healing move by itself. I had that happen with an AI partner in a raid.
I can confirm this.

Does Water Absorb normally block Water-type status moves? Does it negate Soak, for instance?

this should prove that Choice Band doesn't boost a dynamaxed mon's attack
Phew. That makes it more reasonable and makes a lot of sense. You're basically Embargoed on Choice items specifically. That makes Life Orb the optimal choice for Dynamaxing, especially given that you only take 5% recoil.

Similar question: does this also apply to Choice Scarf? I would assume so, but maybe it's calculated differently. This is especially important given the existing interaction with Ditto and Dynamax -- it makes Dynamaxing after you Imposter much riskier because you will almost always speed tie.

Last edited:
I have not found better evidence yet but this should prove that Choice Band doesn't boost a dynamaxed mon's attack :
The fact that Weezing survived the max move with ~30% lets me believe that the choice band boost didn't apply. However it may be a bold 252 / 252 Weezing against a regular Darmanitan so this can't be taken as complete proof.
A few things to probe. Are you including the cancelling of Gorilla Tactics from Weezing's Neutralizing Gas upon calculation? Is the Darmanitan a rental or was it raised by you, and if so, what is its nature and EV build? How high up the tower are you? Is the Lass's Weezing a higher rank?

A few things to probe. Are you including the cancelling of Gorilla Tactics from Weezing's Neutralizing Gas upon calculation? Is the Darmanitan a rental or was it raised by you, and if so, what is its nature and EV build? How high up the tower are you? Is the Lass's Weezing a higher rank?
The fact that we see the message "Lass Ava sent out Weezing!" is sufficient to tell exactly what build the Weezing has: Relaxed with Atk/Def EVs, for 133 HP and 180 Defense.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
This may be known so my apologies if I'm being redundant but:
If you hack in a gigantamaxed mon, does it retain the HP boost or have the same HP as the base Pokemon? As it's implemented on the server right now they have the same HP.

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ok so I calculated with the EVs SadisticMystic gave and here are the calcs :
0 Atk Choice Band Darmanitan Max Quake (130 BP) vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Weezing: 132-156 (99.2 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Darmanitan Max Quake (130 BP) vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Weezing: 88-104 (66.1 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This matches with the damage we saw in the video

Now with 0 Atk IVs and Timid Nature :
0- Atk Choice Band Darmanitan Max Quake (130 BP) vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Weezing: 106-126 (79.6 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This doesn't match with the damage we saw in the video

So as long as the stats SadisticMystic gave are true, this proves that the choice band's effects are nullified when dynamaxing.

I think Steam Engine’s boost is +6. The “drastically” message gets used for any boost of +3 or more (e.g. Simple Amnesia), aside from Belly Drum. Other people have reported that the Steam Engine boost doesn’t activate more than once, which would make sense if the first boost took Rolycoly from +0 to +6.
omg u're a genius, yes i reported that it doesn't activate again after one use. makes sense if the speed is already 6+
that means it's gonna be crazy fast after ability activates

Ok so didnt check threadif anyone else said but, I was using my toxel in my playthrough yesterday and it had the ability rattled, I started a match with a policeman and they sent out growlithe with intimidate. Intimidate then activated rattled after it dropped the attack stat boosting my toxels speed stat. I tested on ps and this was not implemented yet to just wanted to put it out. May also be worth checking to see if other "scary" moves or abilities may also activate rattled as well. Image wise i only have a few screenshots I took but no video recording.

Edit: The screenshots i just looked again were in my match with Kabu will edit them in a a bit

http://imgur.com/a/bdLvfA5 here they are. Me vs kabu with my toxel Jimi Hendrix

Last edited:
Dunno if this was said yet, but can a choiced mon choose a different move after dynamax wears off if they used a move before dynamaxing?

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
If (even though it shouldn't be possible under normal circumstances) a mon uses Hidden Power!Max Strike, does its type changes just like Weather Ball!Max Strike does?

assist doesn't exist any more either, and if you try transferring a pokemon with one of those moves into the game, it won't let you transfer it
What about Sleep Talk?

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Impossible to know as the move does not exist in Sword and Shield.
Shame on me if that's wrong, but... it's odd.
It takes the index slot 237 in the move list, has listed power, accuracy, category, type, effect sequence, MAX move power, flags, and a whole lot of other things. From what i can see, the only thing that separates it from being an "existing" move is the CanUseMove = FALSE line... which shouldn't matter anyway as what will be used is the MAX move.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if this is the best fit for a mechanics research thread, but idk where else to post this.

I'm soft reseting for an 0 Atk Eternatus, and it seems like despite checking its attack stat with strength sap, it had a totally differeent attack stat when I caught it (basically, it had 107 ATk during phase 1, but then after the catch it had 135 Atk).

So basically: Does Eternatus's stats reroll at phase 2, or after the catch? Do Zacian and Zamazenta work similarly?

EDIT: Also, Syncrhonize doesn't seem to work for Eternatus's nature either.

Last edited:
If (even though it shouldn't be possible under normal circumstances) a mon uses Hidden Power!Max Strike, does its type changes just like Weather Ball!Max Strike does?

What about Sleep Talk?
Hidden Power didn't change typing when powered up by Normalium Z so I'd say it's fair to assume that it would stay as max strike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)