Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Dauntless Shield repeatedly triggers when swapped with Wandering Spirit.
This is tecnically consistent with other abilities that activate when a Pokemon is sent in battle (see, Intimidate, Surge abilities, etc, if SkillSwapped, Entrained or Traced they trigger again)

So, I finally managed to test Substitute and G-Max Befuddle, versus a Raid. Gigant Butterfree used Befuddle on an AI Pokemon, and my Rotom had a Sub up. It got poisoned.

Tested again, where Butterfree targeted Rotom's Substitute. Rotom was put to sleep.
Oddly the successful statusings have been the 2nd time in the battle that Butterfree used the move, don't know if that means anything. Sometimes it doesn't trigger a status, even without a Sub up.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So, I finally managed to test Substitute and G-Max Befuddle, versus a Raid. Gigant Butterfree used Befuddle on an AI Pokemon, and my Rotom had a Sub up. It got poisoned.

Tested again, where Butterfree targeted Rotom's Substitute. Rotom was put to sleep.
Oddly the successful statusings have been the 2nd time in the battle that Butterfree used the move, don't know if that means anything. Sometimes it doesn't trigger a status, even without a Sub up.
Don't Raids have wonky mechanics? PVP testing is more reliable.

Not sure if this has already been answered, but how do Soundproof and Clangorous Soul interact?

Does Justified block Intimidate?

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Not sure if this has already been answered, but how do Soundproof and Clangorous Soul interact?
Soundproof doesn't stop Clangorous Soul.

Does Ghost Type Curse deal less damage to Dynamaxed Pokemon outside of raids? I'm guessing not, but it's worth asking because it only deals about weather damage to raid Pokemon.

FYI: EV-reducing berries seem to have changed. My Lv. 100 Corviknight has a perfect def IV and 180 def EVs, giving it a defense of 291. I applied a qualot berry and it only dropped to 288-the equivalent of a 10 EV drop.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
FYI: EV-reducing berries seem to have changed. My Lv. 100 Corviknight has a perfect def IV and 180 def EVs, giving it a defense of 291. I applied a qualot berry and it only dropped to 288-the equivalent of a 10 EV drop.
It has been that way in Emerald and every game since Black/White. Only gen 4 was different and dropped to 100 with a single berry if you had more.
I think it triggered paralysis on those turns, and your Rotom is immune.

That's their normal behaviour? EV reducing berries always reduced by 10 EV :smogthink:

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Overcoat and grass types? did they gain something new then immunity to Magic Powder?

Can someone confirm that Silver Wind(not in the dex), Powder Snow and Pollen Puff(not in the dex) aren't "powder and spore" moves category and that Overcoat and grass types arent protected?(but should be, but should be)

Dex entries
-A powdery attack that may raise abilities.
-pollen are spore and powder like
-The user attacks with a chilling gust of powdery snow. This may also freeze opposing Pokémon.

Cotton spore? Cotton Guard?
Magic Powder is categorized as a powder type move, so Overcoat and Grass types are indeed immune to it.

Powder type moves are status moves, not attacks. Silver Wind, Powder Snow and Pollen Puff were never affected by it.

Cotton Spore is also a powder type move, Grass types and Overcoat Pokémon are indeed immune to it.

Cotton Guard is a self-targeting boosting move, so it has no relation to other Pokémon's immunities.

How does Body Press interact with Eviolite and Choice Band, respectively?
Serebii states that Body Press uses the attacking Pokémon's Defense stat while calculating damage in place of its Attack stat, so I don't imagine it would be much different from any other move. If the item is working properly, it should calculate the damage based on the Defense stat after the effects of the item are applied. Eviolite be fine, but Choice Band would be a waste.

I'm more than happy to help test either of these if you'd like! Shouldn't be difficult, as you don't even really need raw numbers with a 50% boost, it should be visible if we do two rounds of online play with the same Pokémon. I'd say you can probably test this theory in-game too.

Serebii states that Body Press uses the attacking Pokémon's Defense stat while calculating damage in place of its Attack stat, so I don't imagine it would be much different from any other move. If the item is working properly, it should calculate the damage based on the Defense stat after the effects of the item are applied. Eviolite be fine, but Choice Band would be a waste.

I'm more than happy to help test either of these if you'd like! Shouldn't be difficult, as you don't even really need raw numbers with a 50% boost, it should be visible if we do two rounds of online play with the same Pokémon. I'd say you can probably test this theory in-game too.
I don't have the game so I can't test anything.

はじめまして!
ボディプレスの調査をしました。

Nice to meet you!
I researched Body Press.

■ Choice Band was working.
【Def】114 Duraludon Lv.50 Choice Band
【Pow】80 Body Press
【Def】78 Gastrodon
【Damage】67,68,69,71,74,75,76,79

■ Hustle was working.
【Def】114 Duraludon Lv.50 Hustle (Entrainment)
【Pow】80 Body Press
【Def】78 Gastrodon
【Damage】67,69,70,71,74,75,76,77,79

I don't have time for a better empirical test, but it seems Eviolite does NOT boost Body Press's damage.

I caught an Onix and taught it Body Press. Then I had it use Body Press on two different wild Noctowl.

Both with Eviolite and without it, it did around 50% damage.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can someone confirm that Silver Wind(not in the dex), Powder Snow and Pollen Puff(not in the dex) aren't "powder and spore" moves category and that Overcoat and grass types arent protected?(but should be, but should be)
Pollen Puff is in the game.
Why would Powder Snow be a powder move? I get it, powder is in the name, but it is obvious that it is a totally different kind of powder...

sand blast or sandstorm?
The Sandblast move hits any grounded Pokémon, and the secondary effect affects everyone on the team, grounded or not.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I don't have time for a better empirical test, but it seems Eviolite does NOT boost Body Press's damage.

I caught an Onix and taught it Body Press. Then I had it use Body Press on two different wild Noctowl.

Both with Eviolite and without it, it did around 50% damage.
Can you test on more than just two Pokemon please?

0 Atk Onix Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Noctowl: 86-102 (49.1 - 58.2%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

(86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 102)

+1 0 Atk Onix Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Noctowl: 106-125 (60.5 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(106, 107, 108, 110, 111, 112, 113, 115, 116, 117, 118, 120, 121, 122, 123, 125)

This isn't even messing with IVs, just natures, and you end up with high and low rolls close enough to easily be mistaken for identical damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)