Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Does Serene Grace boost the likelihood of G-Max Snooze and G-Max Replenish effects?

Seems that speed recalculates dynamically, but priority brackets don't.

Videos to support this: https://imgur.com/a/e0AmlZZ

- Flinging Custap Berry does nothing but damage (all 3 Inteleons used Fling and couldn't get the low HP Ferrothorn to move sooner).
- Same for Prankster Tricking a Lagging Tail (can't get Inteleon to move last).
- Same for activated Quick Claw Trick to another mon (Ferrothorn still moves last).
What about Skill Swapping/Entraining Prankster to a Pokemon?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Super Sitrus Berries (Figy / Iapapa / Wiki / Aguav / Mago) will confuse the user based on the Nature of the Pokemon originally (pre-Nature Mint), not post-Nature Mint. This is almost certainly due to Nature Mints only changing the stats to reflect what the Nature would be, but it leaves the original Nature intact on the summary screen.

How does everyone feel about Infestation?

I became interested in it when I saw it in the "learnable moves" category for Dragapult. I know it's probably not the best use of a moveslot for Dragapult, but the idea of being able to use a Toxic that doesn't cause a status affliction and prevents switching sounds fun to play with.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How does everyone feel about Infestation?

I became interested in it when I saw it in the "learnable moves" category for Dragapult. I know it's probably not the best use of a moveslot for Dragapult, but the idea of being able to use a Toxic that doesn't cause a status affliction and prevents switching sounds fun to play with.
Did the Infestation mechanics changed? At least until gen 7, the damages were only 1/8 (or 1/6 with the binding band), so not as good as Toxic

I dunno if it was ever answered. Someone asked if stakeout worked on special moves now and after taking like 80 percent from a max overgrowth thievul in the battle tower because I thought I could switch in safely I’m gonna say that was definitely from the Stakeout ability. For reference I was using max hp Cofagrigus.

I dunno if it was ever answered. Someone asked if stakeout worked on special moves now and after taking like 80 percent from a max overgrowth thievul in the battle tower because I thought I could switch in safely I’m gonna say that was definitely from the Stakeout ability. For reference I was using max hp Cofagrigus.
Stakeout always worked on all moves. The only requirement for double damage is that the target must have switched in the current turn.

As Healing Wish has been shown to now wait for a target that can be healed, going on standby for as long as the current pokemon slot is occupied by something at full health, is this also the case for a regular Wish? Or will that still attempt to heal even fully healed targets?

Healing Wish only triggers on a pokemon that was switched in, and never on a pokemon that lost health when it was on the field (and it entered the field at full health), correct? Meaning it could trigger many many turns later until a 'mon not at full health is switched into battle.

Last edited:
As Healing Wish has been shown to now wait for a target that can be healed, going on standby for as long as the current pokemon slot is occupied by something at full health, is this also the case for a regular Wish? Or will that still attempt to heal even fully healed targets??
Can confirm that (regular) Wish still attempts to heal and goes away at the end of the following turn regardless of health.

Last edited:
Super Sitrus Berries (Figy / Iapapa / Wiki / Aguav / Mago) will confuse the user based on the Nature of the Pokemon originally (pre-Nature Mint), not post-Nature Mint. This is almost certainly due to Nature Mints only changing the stats to reflect what the Nature would be, but it leaves the original Nature intact on the summary screen.
How will this be implemented for Toxtricity on Showdown? The form that has Shift Gear can only occur with specific natures, but that can be mitigated via Nature Mints.

How will this be implemented for Toxtricity on Showdown? The form that has Shift Gear can only occur with specific natures, but that can be mitigated via Nature Mints.
Simple, make it so you can select the "real nature" (which super sitrus berries, Toxtricity, and event specific natures will take their effects from), and an "effective nature" (which stats take from). Showdown already did something similar with Hidden Power/IVs when we got Bottle Caps.

(Also to note, Showdown should probably make Hardy nature or the like the default "real nature," since you'll never get confused by the super sitrus berries that way, although an exception to this would probably be event/form specific natures)

Does Serene Grace boost the likelihood of G-Max Snooze and G-Max Replenish effects?
Those effects already have a 100% chance of occuring?

Last edited:
What happens if a Pokemon uses transform or imposter on an opponent that's already Dynamaxed? Or Gigantamaxed or Dymamaxed Zaican/Zamazenta/Eternatus? What happens if the transformed Pokemon tries to Dynamax afterward? I don't think this was already answered on the OP.

What happens if a Pokemon uses transform or imposter on an opponent that's already Dynamaxed? Or Gigantamaxed or Dymamaxed Zaican/Zamazenta/Eternatus? What happens if the transformed Pokemon tries to Dynamax afterward? I don't think this was already answered on the OP.
If ditto copies a dynamaxed mon, it will take the non-dynamax form. However, it can proceed to dynamax from there. Zacian, Zamazenta and Eternatus cannot Dynamax (other than Eternamax Eternatus which isn't usable in normal battles), and Ditto copying one of them also cannot dynamax.

Last edited:

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
What about Skill Swapping/Entraining Prankster to a Pokemon?
Skill Swapping Prankster onto a Ferrothorn caused it to use Spikes before both Inteleons managed to move. Maybe the items are implemented differently to exclude them from reshuffling priority.

Some fun facts about Mimicry:
- If an Imposter Ditto copies a Galarian Stunfisk with Mimicry, the ability immediately activates even on no terrain to change its type back to Normal.
- Imposter Ditto transformed as a Galarian Stunfisk with Mimicry becomes Grass type when Grassy Terrain starts.
- A Flying-type Pokemon like Corviknight with Mimicry becomes Grass type when Grassy Terrain starts.
- Sending an Imposter Ditto out on a Corviknight with Mimicry that is already Grass-type on Grassy Terrain makes the transformed Ditto Grass-type. Mimicry doesn't activate again to change the Ditto back to Normal-type.
- Mimicry activates right after Defog removes terrains to change types back, not at the end of the turn.
- Using Soak on a Mimicry Pokemon makes it maintain Water-type until terrain changes again.
- Transforming into a Soak'd, Mimicry Pokemon makes the Transformed Pokemon Water-Type.
- Skill Swapping Mimicry onto a Soak'd Pokemon makes Mimicry activate to change its type back to its original type.

Some fun facts about Illusion:
- If you Dynamax a Pokemon disguised with Illusion, it says the illusion wore off before Dynamaxing happens, and the sprite is the Pokemon's true form.
- If Neutralizing Gas or an attack makes Illusion wear off, the Pokemon stays in its Illusion'd sprite on the field, but all the other menus (e.g. your opponent selecting attacks or checking Y status) show its real form. Attacking the Illusion mon afterwards still doesn't revert its form on the field.
- Actually, Illusion is straight up broken. You'll send out the mon in Illusion'd form, it'll broadcast the Illusion after "Go, ___ and ___!", but the little menu sprites to attack, view status, and the name above the mon will leak the true form to the opponent even while Illusion is intact.

Select videos: https://imgur.com/a/qL6Vtbb

Not pictured: I had a pretty big video of Illusion leaking to the opponent that I couldn't upload, so I sent it to The Immortal to view instead.

Last edited:
Skill Swapping Prankster onto a Ferrothorn caused it to use Spikes before both Inteleons managed to move. Maybe the items are implemented differently to exclude them from reshuffling priority.

- If an Imposter Ditto copies a Galarian Stunfisk with Mimicry, the ability immediately activates even on no terrain to change its type back to Normal.
- Imposter Ditto transformed as a Galarian Stunfisk with Mimicry becomes Grass type when Grassy Terrain starts.
- Sending an Imposter Ditto out on a Galarian Stunfisk with Mimicry that is already Grass-type makes the transformed Ditto Grass-type.
- Mimicry activates right after Defog removes terrains to change types back, not at the end of the turn.
- Using Soak on a Mimicry Pokemon makes it maintain Water-type until terrain changes again.
- Transforming into a Soak'd, Mimicry Pokemon makes the Transformed Pokemon Water-Type.
- Skill Swapping Mimicry onto a Soak'd Pokemon makes Mimicry activate to change its type back to its original type.

- If you Dynamax a Pokemon disguised with Illusion, it says the illusion wore off before Dynamaxing happens, and the sprite is the Pokemon's true form.
- If Neutralizing Gas or an attack makes Illusion wear off, the Pokemon stays in its Illusion'd sprite on the field, but all the other menus (e.g. your opponent selecting attacks or checking Y status) show its real form. Attacking the Illusion mon afterwards still doesn't revert its form on the field.
- Actually, Illusion is straight up broken. You'll send out the mon in Illusion'd form, it'll broadcast the Illusion after "Go, ___ and ___!", but the little menu sprites to attack, view status, and the name above the mon will leak the true form to the opponent even while Illusion is intact.

Not pictured: I had a pretty big video of Illusion leaking to the opponent that I couldn't upload, so I sent it to The Immortal to view instead.
I'm kind of shocked Illusion functions (well, as functional as it is) at all, I figured it was just dummied out in the same way all those moves (the ones "softsnapped", not the hardsnaps) were.

so this is a long list but now I'm curious, how functional are the other abilities?
Color Change
Rough Skin
Magma Armor
Forecast
Liquid Ooze
Pure Power
Air Lock
Motor Drive
Anger Point
Download
Poison Heal
Normalize
Slow Start
Multitype
Bad Dreams
Defeatist
Multiscale
Toxic Boost
Illusion
Victory Star
Flower Veil
Protean
Magician
Refrigerate
Gale Wings
Mega Launcher
Grass Pelt
Aerilate
Parental Bond
Dark Aura
Fairy Aura
Aura Break
Primordial Sea
Desolate Land
Delta Stream
Water Compaction
Merciless
Shields Down
Triage
Galvanize
Battle Bond
Power Construct
Comatose
Dancer
Dazzling
Soul-Heart
Power of Alchemy
Beast Boost
Neuroforce
A number of these are tied innately to a pokemon rather than the actual ability but I'm really fascinated by how complete the unused ones are, if illusion is in the state its in.

- A Flying-type Pokemon like Corviknight with Mimicry becomes Grass type when Grassy Terrain starts.
- Sending an Imposter Ditto out on a Corviknight with Mimicry that is already Grass-type on Grassy Terrain makes the transformed Ditto Grass-type. Mimicry doesn't activate again to change the Ditto back to Normal-type.

Does mimicry behave the same way when hacked onto a pokemon thats not stunfisk? That could potentially be useful for AAA

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
On the topic of Primal weather, can you override Primal weather with Max moves (ie Max Geyser in Delta Stream?)

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Moar fun facts about Illusion (thanks, Kris!):
- I nicknamed my Illusion mon "Giratina", and the nickname "Giratina" showed up on both screens while Illusion was intact.
- If you bring 2 mons, an Illusion Pokemon and a random other Pokemon, lead with the Illusion Pokemon, swap the Illusion Pokemon out, then back in, the Illusion Pokemon comes out without Illusion at all (shows true sprite and no Illusion ending message when hit).
- If you bring 3 mons in the order: Illusion mon, random mon 1, random mon 2, start with Illusion mon, swap to random mon 1, let random mon 1 get KO'd, then swap to Illusion mon, then swap to random mon 2, then swap to Illusion mon, the Illusion mon comes out with no Illusion at all.
- Damaging the Illusion Pokemon and swapping it out and back in doesn't make it revert to its original sprite unless you only have 2 Pokemon, as in the second bullet above.
- If you break the Illusion and then try to Dynamax the Illusion Pokemon, both games crash right as the giant Dynamax sprite would be loaded.

Relevant to The Immortal as well.

Last edited:
Follow-up question: if Metronome/a calling move is used with a Choice item equipped and calls a charge/2-turn move, will it still fail on the 2nd turn?
It apparently does fail in Gen 7, and with this fix I have to question if other choice oddities are affected.
Metronome calling a multi-turn move with a Choice item still makes it fail on the 2nd turn.
https://streamable.com/pag4e - Solar Blade fails. Also, Choice Scarf's boost is still in effect.

EDIT: It's not in this clip, but during these attempts I kept noticing my move selection cursor flicker to another move (the slot of the other pokemon?) before returning to the move I used last turn. Kind of weird.
I mentioned this in the metronome battle thread though it's more of a bug confirmation, Gorilla Tactics does not make you Struggle after using Metronome.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)