Resource SWSH RU Short Questions and Short Answers

What niche does Lanturn have? I saw it was C rank on the VR and was curious as about what it does.
Honestly, little to none. That was an old ranking from a while ago. I mean it still does hold a defensive pivot niche with volt switch, while having a good defensive typing, and can check the elite fires being zard, Salazzle, and ninetales pretty well.
It also has heal bell which is nice, but again, as a defensive water type, vaporeon competes with it.
it also struggles with viriz on the immense rise, and grass types overall being popular in the tier.

A floor Mat

The Official Floor Mat of Rarley Used
I know everyone talking about it right know but why is expanding force so broken? literally OHKOS other indeedees and 2 shots steelix

I know everyone talking about it right know but why is expanding force so broken? literally OHKOS other indeedees and 2 shots steelix
1592570996751.png

It becomes a 120 BP move under terrain, then proceeds to get another 1.3 boost from Terrain. It becomes a super spammable incredibly high BP move that is difficult to consistently switch into. Put that with a Pokemon like Indeedee which sets up its own Psychic Terrain, a decent Special Attack stat, and receives STAB from it as well, it becomes an even more potent wallbreaker / revenge killer depending on what set you decide to use.

What is the best counter to indeedee??
It's looking very dangerous in the meta right now
It's really hard to truly "counter" since common SpDef walls that could potentially switch into Expanding Force like Snorlax can get overwhelmed by it with the littlest chip, but still having to be wary of Psyshock. Unless I'm overlooking some things, your best bet would be to try to pressure it with faster threats since its incredibly frail and the use of dark types, however they also fall to coverage in Dazzling Gleam.

What is the best counter to indeedee??
It's looking very dangerous in the meta right now
The way I’ve been getting around it is with spdef scrafty paired with steelix. Indeedee will never really want to click expanding force with these 2 on a team. Yes, Indeedee does have coverage to hit them, but they do not outright ko them.

What do you guys think of this set for Magneton?

Bulky Trapper
Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Metal Sound
- Magnet Rise

Thunderbolt is your main STAB to deal with Duralodon and Copperajah, being able to 2HKO them
252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Duraludon: 131-155 (46.6 - 55.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Copperajah: 207-244 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Magnet Rise lets you evade Earthquake from Copperajah and Steelix. Finally, Flash Cannon + Metal Sound is your best way to deal with Steelix
252+ SpA Magneton Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Steelix: 71-84 (20 - 23.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
This means: 1 Magnet Rise + 5 Flash Cannons + 1 Magnet Rise + 1 or 2 Flash Cannons = 8 to 9 turns to KO Steelix

But, with Metal Sound:
252+ SpA Magneton Flash Cannon vs. -2 252 HP / 240 SpD Steelix: 141-167 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
1 Magnet Rise + 1 Metal Sound + 3 Flash Cannons = 5 turns to KO Steelix. So, unless you miss like, 2 Metal Sounds, this is a WAY faster way to deal with Steelix
The HP EVs allow Magnezone to survive 2 Draco Meteors from specs Duralodon after Spikes damage
252 SpA Choice Specs Duraludon Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 202-239 (73.7 - 87.2%) -- not a KO after 1 layer of Spikes
Special Attack is maxed and the remaining EVs go to speed to get the best out Magneton after trapping steels (But you can lower the speed for certain benchmarks and increase the bulk). Eviolite is choose to increase Magneton's overall bulk.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What do you guys think of this set for Magneton?

Bulky Trapper
Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Metal Sound
- Magnet Rise

Thunderbolt is your main STAB to deal with Duralodon and Copperajah, being able to 2HKO them
252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Duraludon: 131-155 (46.6 - 55.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Copperajah: 207-244 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Magnet Rise lets you evade Earthquake from Copperajah and Steelix. Finally, Flash Cannon + Metal Sound is your best way to deal with Steelix
252+ SpA Magneton Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Steelix: 71-84 (20 - 23.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
This means: 1 Magnet Rise + 5 Flash Cannons + 1 Magnet Rise + 1 or 2 Flash Cannons = 8 to 9 turns to KO Steelix

But, with Metal Sound:
252+ SpA Magneton Flash Cannon vs. -2 252 HP / 240 SpD Steelix: 141-167 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
1 Magnet Rise + 1 Metal Sound + 3 Flash Cannons = 5 turns to KO Steelix. So, unless you miss like, 2 Metal Sounds, this is a WAY faster way to deal with Steelix
The HP EVs allow Magnezone to survive 2 Draco Meteors from specs Duralodon after Spikes damage
252 SpA Choice Specs Duraludon Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 202-239 (73.7 - 87.2%) -- not a KO after 1 layer of Spikes
Special Attack is maxed and the remaining EVs go to speed to get the best out Magneton after trapping steels (But you can lower the speed for certain benchmarks and increase the bulk). Eviolite is choose to increase Magneton's overall bulk.
I think the main problem with this set is that it doesn’t actually trap Steelix (which very frequently runs Body Press). And vs the other listed Steels (and honestly also vs steelix) it performs worse than or the same as choice specs analytic Magneton.

16+ Def Steelix Body Press vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Magneton: 164-194 (59.8 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magneton Steel Beam vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Steelix: 219-258 (61.8 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magneton Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Steelix: 126-148 (35.5 - 41.8%) -- 86.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Copperajah: 366-432 (89.7 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Copperajah: 282-333 (69.1 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(bulkier Copperajah)
Eviolite:
252 SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 172 HP / 252+ SpD Copperajah: 127-150 (29.6 - 35%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Specs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 172 HP / 252+ SpD Copperajah: 246-291 (57.4 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 172 HP / 252+ SpD Copperajah: 189-223 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

(evio can magnet rise to beat it, but specs always 2hkoes with rocks up if you force it in w/ t bolt or you can just volt switch to fighting)

252 SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Duraludon: 233-274 (82.9 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Duraludon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magneton: 201-237 (83.4 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Obviously this Magneton can't switch into these Pokemon and doesn't have as much defensive utility as a set with Eviolite, but Evio doesn't have nearly the same offensive presence.

I think the main problem with this set is that it doesn’t actually trap Steelix (which very frequently runs Body Press).
Oh, I never fought a Steelix with BP, and since it usually runs more EVs in special defense, I assume it wasn't common, my bad
And vs the other listed Steels (and honestly also vs steelix) it performs worse than or the same as choice specs analytic Magneton.
Yeah, I'm aware of the power that Specs + Analytic brings, but I thought its Eviolite boosted bulk could be useful for steel trapping (Although a RestTalk set with Analytic may not be terrible... :blobthinking:)
But I've to admit, I'm the kinda of guy that sometimes creates weird sets (DD Steelix for ex:psysly:)

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
can you guys please update your sample team thread? or is there a thread I'm missing? Thank you!
I think due to many tier-shifts and bans it isnt easy to have a sample team currently and with the upcoming tier-shifts (which might take place already 2morrow) there will be another huge thing going on in RU due to DLC, etc. I think once the metagame settles down it will be much easier to introduce new sample teams.

how is lurantis in this tier/gen? i remember it being pretty great in pu last gen, and it feels like it might still be good, but i don't really know enough about the tier to say.

how is lurantis in this tier/gen? i remember it being pretty great in pu last gen, and it feels like it might still be good, but i don't really know enough about the tier to say.
So I have only used it a bit, but it hasn't really disappointed me yet. I was always a fan of Lurantis, and even used it on some USUM RU teams as a water resist, so I was inclined to try it out again, especially since it got Leaf Blade. So far I've used an AV set to be somewhat of a special sponge with Super Power/Leaf Blade/Knock Off/Psycho Cut (for plume and Weezing), and it has been doing pretty decent. Honestly it destroys stall, since it can accumulate boosts easily, and outspeed the opponent. Its no tier defining mon, or a top tier pick (especially in a meta where Zard, Plume, Centi, Frosmoth, and Salazzle are all top picks) - but it is a fun mon to use, and mostly unexplored (I'm sure some Defog / Synthesis sets are also viable to a degree). I don't have any replays on me rn, but I'll try to get some to show

Probably the dumbest question ever, but why it's Drizzle banned in the lower tiers (UU and RU)?

What makes it more broken than Sun and Sand?

Probably the dumbest question ever, but why it's Drizzle banned in the lower tiers (UU and RU)?

What makes it more broken than Sun and Sand?
The abusers are so much harder to deal with - and even the setters too. With the sand the only Sand Rush abusers are Sandslash and Stoutland, which while solid enough abusers, just aren't as solid as stand alone mons. And the only setter is Baby Hippo, which isn't a good mon on it's own - unlike the other auto setters.

The big sun abusers are gone, being venu, and Shiftry. Sun also lost a big tool in Ninetales, and while lost a big check in Lax, gained a big one in Centi. The typical abusers are Leafeon, Vileplume (Who is only base 50 speed), Eggy (who is a new possible editions), and the Solar Power abusers are Zard and Helio. While they hit hard (esp in Zards case since it gets STAB on top of the boost, they don't get the speed boost that Chlorophyll gets.

The reason I brought that up is because the big thing about rain teams is that the swift swimmers get the speed AND stab boost on top of it (This was the reason they banned drizzle and swift swim at the end of gen 5 iirc) And the abusers, we have a LOT of viable ones. Qwil, Drednaw, Ludicolo, and more that are going to drop. I've even seen a fair amount of manual rain too, and it ofc works. It was also UU that banned rain (and since they did, it follows to lower tiers), and they have even scarier abusers.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
If I were to use Alolan Sandslash, should I use Vanilluxe or Abomasnow for a partner?
Either one works since they both can set up Veil. Abomasnow has a little more versatility in the fact that it can run a physical or special set whereas Ice Cream only runs special. Not to mention Aboma's special movepool is better than Vanilluxe's.

As a pure veil setter its important to point out that Vanilluxe is way more useful than Abomasnow, since it has access to important tools Aboma does not in Taunt, Explosion and Magic Coat, which allow Vanilluxe to deny opposing hazards and removal, something Veil teams need a lot to succeed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)