Resource SWSH RU Short Questions and Short Answers

I think so, but I think Abomasnow's resistance to Ground and Water would come more handy

Besides, while Aurora Veil could be useful (I mean, of course) the main idea is to sweep with Sandslash's Slush Rush, and with only 4 turns of Hail that becomes almost imposible

Can someone take the time to explain why machamp is ok in RU. I don't understand it and I don't see anyone go in depth about the mon.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Can someone take the time to explain why machamp is ok in RU. I don't understand it and I don't see anyone go in depth about the mon.
Machamp usually holds a Flame Orb to become an extremely powerful Guts wallbreaker. The combination of Close Combat, a 140-BP Facade, and Knock Off can take down practically any defensive Pokemon; even bulky Fairy-types like Aromatisse or physically defensive Alcremie are 2HKOd. Silvally-Fairy can switch in once, but Machamp can KO it with Bullet Punch after taking a hit from Facade (or CC+Rocks). Sableye is the best defensive answer to it; however, Machamp can run Heavy Slam and gain the ability to 2HKO it as well. (Overall, though, Bullet Punch is better; it lets you do things like KO Xatu and Silvally-Fairy after they've switched into your attack, preventing them from outspeeding and KOing Machamp).

Machamp @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch / Heavy Slam

(it can also run an Assault Vest to become a bulky attacker, but the attack boost from Guts makes Flame Orb by far the best set in this metagame).

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
How do you use braviary as a scarfer??
Braviary (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Facade / Defog

Basically just weaken the opponent's Steel-types, Rhydon, and general physical walls like Mudsdale/Vaporeon and then you can clean with Brave Bird. Something like Exeggutor-Alola, Exeggutor, Espeon, or Duraludon does a good job wearing down Steel-types; Salazzle or Centiskorch can weaken Rhydon with Knock Off. It can also use CC to weaken those for its teammates.

However, I don't love it because its speed (284, base 80) makes it slower than pretty much every other scarfer (except Drednaw). This leaves you outsped by Scarf Togedemaru / Rotom-Mow / Drapion; the first two can KO you, and Drap can remove your scarf. It also takes tons of recoil from Brave Bird + SR weakness, and common Pokemon like Vapo and Jelli can recover on it pretty easily. I like Braviary better with CB or Bulk Up.

(also, add Duraludon and Togedemaru to Oathkeepre's list of common Scarfers).

Is Luxray viable on the tier?
I mean, I'm no expert, but if it can do this to Rhydon-

252 Atk Guts Luxray Superpower over 2 turns vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 354-418 (100.8 - 119%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns

-I would assume it at least has a niche as a physical Electric-type.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
any good partners to facilitiate a dd scrafty sweep? Been looking into it but havent really found anything that seems particularly synergistic

any good partners to facilitiate a dd scrafty sweep? Been looking into it but havent really found anything that seems particularly synergistic
Screens/a veil work really well for scrafty since it helps with its already really good natural bulk - and then if it can get to +2 on attack and speed it’s pretty good to sweep. Stuff to wear down fairy’s and plume are really all that’s needed to help scrafty out, so mons like zard, SD Beware (since it lures them out and can fire off a +2 Double Edge to severally weaken them), specs eggy creates mind games around scraftys checks, and helio can volt out to wear them down.

with a lot of mons dropping from uu to ru, is ru going to do the same as uu and pu, by unbanning some mons in rubl?

Katy

Banned deucer.
What made Sigilyph too good for RU?
First and foremost Sigilyphs typing is really good with natural immunities such as ground and also a good ton of resistances. Sigilyph was deemed too good for RU as it can run multiple sets, from support to offensive. the main factor was the latter of those, the offensive capabilities with plenty of options to bypass natural checks in steel-types such as heat wave. furthermore sigilyph has really good abilities wihich even strengthens ist offensive power such as magic guard, therefore it did not take any hazard-damage from stealth rocks and also no damage from burn and poison. Magic Guard also prevents this bird to take life orb recoils. calm mind + 2 attacks with roost or toxic was enough for sigilyph to handle a multitude of pkmn in the ru metagame and its speed is really good too with being 97 base where it hit a point where it outsped a plethora of pkmn naturally with a timid nature, and after a calm mind boost its really good spatt was just raw breaking power.
these are the reasons of why this ancient bird got banned from ru in the first place. hopefulle i was able to answer your question. have a nice day.

Katy

Banned deucer.
what pokemon are probably going to go from rubl to ru first?
and with toarkoal in ou, did zard viability drop? the only sun setter now is vulpix

hello, ninetales got unbanned this past night thus ninetales is the premiere sun-setter now in the tier. Charizards viability didnt take a huge hit from Torkoal / Ninetales being gone as it is a strong standalone pokémon in the RU metagame with a good SpAtt and Speed and a decent powerful typing. It cannot only be used offensively but also defensively as well. thus it maintained its viability during the times torkoal / ninetales where not around in the tier.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Reasonings for the D ranks?
D ranks are reserved for pkmn which actually have such a tiny "niche" that they don't have a place in the metagame actually. Like for example Ambipom at UU or Jolteon at last gen RU. These Pokémon are entirely outclassed by other pokémon which can fullfill the role much better thus they arent worth of a discussion. It also shows how "good" or in this case bad these pokémon will function in the tier.

Usually D ranks are blacklisted / banned from further discussions. The exact explanation is given by a council member or any of the members which are involved in the Viability Ranking of the particular tier.

D ranks are reserved for pkmn which actually have such a tiny "niche" that they don't have a place in the metagame actually. Like for example Ambipom at UU or Jolteon at last gen RU. These Pokémon are entirely outclassed by other pokémon which can fullfill the role much better thus they arent worth of a discussion. It also shows how "good" or in this case bad these pokémon will function in the tier.

Usually D ranks are blacklisted / banned from further discussions. The exact explanation is given by a council member or any of the members which are involved in the Viability Ranking of the particular tier.
I know the purpose of the D rank bro. You didn't answer my question

Katy

Banned deucer.
I know the purpose of the D rank bro. You didn't answer my question

Well Coloassal finds itself outclassed by a numerous of mons as a supporter and check to ninetales and salazzle former gained scorching sands anyway so it isnt a check anymore.
Pincurchin lost its niche because Alola-Raichu got banned but is still RU via usage.
Whimsicott is entirely outclassed by other better grass-types and the numerous of poison-types dont give it a favor at all, thus its niche as a pranster supporter is gone because Klefki offers more on the table.

Suggestion for the VR (not just for RU): D ranks should be treated as "unranked" Pokémon and not blacklisted, so if people want to nominate a D rank Pokémon higher, they should be more thorough in their explanation, include a specific set worth ranking, and provide high level replays. There's a post in the VR nominating Clawitzer to rise, and I agree with the post since I think it has a definite niche over Pokémon like Intelleon, Dragalge and Slowbro-G. Obviously there should be stricter moderation for D ranks since a good portion of RU uses them despite being potentially unviable, but not an immediate blacklist.

Hello there, sorry if I make a nonsense question.
The description of RU valid pokemon says "All Pokémon that are not OU or UU by usage and are not banned to Ubers, UUBL, or RUBL can be used in RU, including Pokémon from NU and PU." Does that include Abilities banned in higher tiers also? Like Arena Trap and Shadow Tag? Sounds unclear to me. I couldn't find anywhere saying that they were banned in lower tiers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)