Pokémon Sylveon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to get Eevee through Friend Safari so ofc I caught a bunch of them and made myself a Sylveon. I've been thinking about replacing my Florges with Sylveon due to the better moveset and because it can function better with defensive EVs it seems. It also has Pixilate but I have no idea what use it could be... (Boomburst Sylveon please!)

Bold Nature
Leftovers?

252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD

Calm Mind
Shadow Ball
Psyshock (it can't learn Psychic but this move is quite nice actually)
Moonblast

Those 3 moves give it great coverage over every weakness but it does lack any form of healing aside from the Leftovers. Draining kiss seems much too weak to be reliable even with CM boosts. Any ideas?
This is exactly what I'm running and it's working wonders. The only thing is not having a reliable form of healing really hurts.

This is exactly what I'm running and it's working wonders. The only thing is not having a reliable form of healing really hurts.
Wish/protect works wonders honestly. I have a question actually. I'm getting myself a bold eevee and I'm gonna max out it's defense. Do you guys think that Sylveon or Vaporeon fills this role better? Typings seem pretty even to me (pure-fairy and pure-water are both pretty solid), Vaporeon has slightly better wishes and HP, but Sylveon has better defenses and better attack power. Vaporeon handles Scizor better with scald, but Sylveon is immune to dragon STAB and resists pursuit, close combat and mach punch.

Wish/protect works wonders honestly. I have a question actually. I'm getting myself a bold eevee and I'm gonna max out it's defense. Do you guys think that Sylveon or Vaporeon fills this role better? Typings seem pretty even to me (pure-fairy and pure-water are both pretty solid), Vaporeon has slightly better wishes and HP, but Sylveon has better defenses and better attack power. Vaporeon handles Scizor better with scald, but Sylveon is immune to dragon STAB and resists pursuit, close combat and mach punch.
I feel like Vaporeon fills the role better but that might just be me being bias seeing as I've used Vaporeon for a long time. But honestly it really just comes down to what your team needs. If you need a a bulky water type go with Vaporeon and if you need to handle dragon/fighting types more go with Sylveon.

I would but draining kiss' damage isn't good enough for me.
That's what the calm mind boost are for as well. Still get powerful draining Kiss after a +1, and a form of recovery. Yes moonblast does pack a punch, but like I said: If your looking for reliable recovery for the set then draining kiss is your best option which works in conjuction with calm mind boost. Not to mention shadow ball already gives amazing coverage, and damage.

That's what the calm mind boost are for as well. Still get powerful draining Kiss after a +1, and a form of recovery. Yes moonblast does pack a punch, but like I said: If your looking for reliable recovery for the set then draining kiss is your best option which works in conjuction with calm mind boost. Not to mention shadow ball already gives amazing coverage, and damage.
I doubt that a Draining Kiss +1 will heal much without being super effective and even then it might not be enough. I suppose it depends on how much damage you take.

Modest nature with wish. What should I go for? Sp.Atk and HP? Protect/Wish/Shadowball/Moonblast?
I wouldn't stick with modest if I were you. Sylveon is much better defensively than offensively. But if your stuck with modest then I would suggest this:

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Wish
- Protect
- Hidden Power Ground/Shadow Ball
- Moon Blast

Does anybody remember WishCM Jirachi? I had a hunch that it would work nicely with the new SDef Fairies and so far it's proving to be very potent indeed. I've just been using 248 HP / 252 Def Bold with Wish/Calm Mind/Moonblast/HP Ground, and it's just running through teams. Of course the current test 'meta' isn't really that competitive, but I'm getting 6-0 after 6-0. It's suprisingly bulky on the physical side and can pick up a couple of boosts very easily with its resistances and bulk. After that you're pretty much set, just slowly boost and healing while spamming Moonblast, which hits disgustingly hard for a Pokemon with no investment. HP Ground is only really useful for Heatran so you might want to change it, though in my experience protect isn't that necessary either so idk what you would use.

Does anybody remember WishCM Jirachi? I had a hunch that it would work nicely with the new SDef Fairies and so far it's proving to be very potent indeed. I've just been using 248 HP / 252 Def Bold with Wish/Calm Mind/Moonblast/HP Ground, and it's just running through teams. Of course the current test 'meta' isn't really that competitive, but I'm getting 6-0 after 6-0. It's suprisingly bulky on the physical side and can pick up a couple of boosts very easily with its resistances and bulk. After that you're pretty much set, just slowly boost and healing while spamming Moonblast, which hits disgustingly hard for a Pokemon with no investment. HP Ground is only really useful for Heatran so you might want to change it, though in my experience protect isn't that necessary either so idk what you would use.
Just getting a taste of Gen 6 battles, I've started to use a similar set with Bold nature and Shadow Ball. It's quite a serviceable set.

Surprisingly, Bold Sylveon is an excellent check to any Salamence or Dragonite that's not carrying Iron Head, and in fact hard-counters even typical Life Orb sets with just 248 HP / 160 Def. Which gives all the more opportunity to set up CMs as they're driven out.

Last edited:
i can confirm that eevee doesnt get boomburst from a smeagle. well, it was tough putting such a powerful move on a dinky smeargle. such a shame, i really wanted a hidden ability sylveon/eevee.

I suck at this stuff but couldn't pixilate hyperbeam replace moonblaste/Draining kiss in the calm mind set? It's less reliable but hits a lot harder and will STAB. Especially because although cute charm can be a good ability since Sylveon has terrible defense, it's still too unreliable.

Inadvisable. The recharge gives your opponent a free turn to set up, phaze, or do whatever else they want, which can be much worse than missing the KO.

Since most super-effective attacks against sylveon seem to be physical (most steel, poison jab Lucario etc), wouldn't it be good to invest in defense IVs? Picked up a calm Eevee, could be promising.

If it already has good SpDefense then surely a few Defense IVs wouldn't hurt.

Since most super-effective attacks against sylveon seem to be physical (most steel, poison jab Lucario etc), wouldn't it be good to invest in defense IVs? Picked up a calm Eevee, could be promising.

If it already has good SpDefense then surely a few Defense IVs wouldn't hurt.
Typical SE hits like Lucario's Bullet Punch and Aegislash's Iron Head are likely to OHKO even with maximum defensive investment. Still, I actually prefer to use Bold with Defence EVs, since it gives more protection against physical dragons that don't carry Iron Head. Sylveon plays rather like Vaporeon; it's decent HP lets it tank non-STAB neutral physical hits surprisingly well and it's able to hit hard even with little SAtk investment.

Didn't think about bullet punch hah. I imagine calm Sylveon will be able to stand well against those common overused pokemon (Blastoise + hydro pump, Yveltal + oblivion wing, etc). I suppose you are right regarding defense, though I won't shun off investing a few IVs in it.

I wonder how 200 SpDef, 200 HP and 110 SpAtk would work...should survive enough hits.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet.. (if someone already has, my apologies!)

Would a Light Screen/Calm Mind set be worth considering? Given Sylveon's support role, you could set up CM to boost it's SpA/D to increase its own utility while putting up Light Screen to aid the rest of your team. Could make for some interesting special wall scenarios, shame it doesn't get Reflect though.. its defense is a bit, er, lacking to say the least..

Now the big issue is what remaining moves to choose.. Obviously Wish/Protect won't work with this set, maybe Draining Kiss for recovery (+CM boost) and Shadow Ball to hit the steels?

Light Screen and Calm Mind seems counter intuitive to me. You want to put up a light screen so you can switch, but then you lose all your calm mind boosts.

Light Screen and Calm Mind seems counter intuitive to me. You want to put up a light screen so you can switch, but then you lose all your calm mind boosts.
I'm just thinking in case you need to switch out. Do we know if Sylveon gets Baton Pass?

Oh and Eevee also gets Refresh (which is probably not good enough for a spot on a set, but worth a footnote anyway). Also, Eevee learns Baton Pass at lv. 33...

Just got an eevee from wonder trade, bold nature and has wish! Going to try out a Wish, Calm Mind, Draining Kiss, Shadow Ball w/ Leftovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)