Pokémon Tangrowth

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Pokemon is amazing. I use the Infestation set and it does wonders.

252 Def/252 Hp/4 SpAtk
Nature: Bold
Ability: Regenerator
Moves
Infestation
Leech Seed
Giga Drain
Sleep Powder

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-90348730

This is a new alt I started laddering with a couple days ago, adding Tangrowth to a very stall team just to test the poke out and in the replay you can see that other than the Mega Gardevoir, Tangrowth could have handled all of his pokes, it's just that good.
Glad to see someone actually tries it and see how effective it can be instead of immeadiately rejecting it

Glad to see someone actually tries it and see how effective it can be instead of immeadiately rejecting it
I agree, it is a very effective wall and it can stop several threats right in their track, especially if you catch an opponent's Pokemon with sleep powder on the switch. It's only downfall is that it can't wall Mega Pinsir and Talonflame, unless you catch them with sleep powder on the switch. I'm hoping Gen 7, GF gives it Thick Fat.

They need to make a UU list of analysis' NOW. It would certainly help move the beta faster with everyone sharing their op builds and get more stuff banned, then it could reduce the posts in OU for very outclassed pokemon. Tangrowth was RU last gen and I dont think knock off and ass. vest being added are enough to make it a replacement for Venasaur's mega.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
They need to make a UU list of analysis' NOW. It would certainly help move the beta faster with everyone sharing their op builds and get more stuff banned, then it could reduce the posts in OU for very outclassed pokemon. Tangrowth was RU last gen and I dont think knock off and ass. vest being added are enough to make it a replacement for Venasaur's mega.
It's a C+ on the viability list, so it certainly is viable. It has four phenomenal stats, and two awful ones. Tangrowth has always struggled with its special defense, but no with assault vest it has its time to shine. It may be outclassed in some ways by Venusaur-M, but it does have benefits that differentiate the two. Tangrowth doesn't cost a mega slot, has more physical bulk, has Regenerator, and has a reliable way to hurt Talonflame/Charizard/Pinsir switchins.

Wrong way to look at it. It has its own niche in the infestation set. I don't know if you looked at the replay I put up but it literally leaves physical attackers helpless. Plus my favorite mega is Zard X, so I can't have Mega Venu who also uses a Mega Slot. It's a good poke, viable in OU, just build the right team around it.

Wrong way to look at it. It has its own niche in the infestation set. I don't know if you looked at the replay I put up but it literally leaves physical attackers helpless. Plus my favorite mega is Zard X, so I can't have Mega Venu who also uses a Mega Slot. It's a good poke, viable in OU, just build the right team around it.
The problem with that set is that, as is evidenced in the replay you showed, your opponent is immediately going to switch in a special attacker and force Tangrowth out, so trapping them isn't that useful. It only really works once (and you probably only managed to snag Bisharp because your opponent assumed it was AV Growth and wanted to knock that off to make him vulnerable to MGardy).

That's not saying it can't work in certain situations, but in general the walling capabilities of the AV set are going to be more reliable.

I agree, it is a very effective wall and it can stop several threats right in their track, especially if you catch an opponent's Pokemon with sleep powder on the switch. It's only downfall is that it can't wall Mega Pinsir and Talonflame, unless you catch them with sleep powder on the switch. I'm hoping Gen 7, GF gives it Thick Fat.
But then you would have to get rid of regenerator which partly makes it the wall it is

IMO the AV set isn't as good as people are saying. I know tgrowth has regenerator, but going with AV really hurts it on the physical side as you need to invest evs in sp defence and tangrowth has absolutely horrid special defence. The AV definitely makes a difference, but you're really just getting above average bulk on both defences and I believe tangrowth functions much better as a total physical wall. I used to run Knock off/sleep powder/giga drain/leech seed but i've replaced knock off with infestation to try it out. It works wonders when you manage to trap a physical attacker (and is extremely satisfying) but it can be situational. However, i've found that after I've trapped and destroyed a mon (or attempted to) they become wise to the act, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They're 95% sure i'm going to try and trap them so they switch into a special attacker or something like talonflame only to get put straight to sleep. I've definitely been having the most fun with this set, because even if you can't trap an opponent it's still an absolutely brilliant physical wall that can make great use of the other 3 moves. I really want to try rock slide because even the mere mention of that overused bird boils my blood, but I think i'd miss the other moves a little too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)