OU Tapu Bulu (OU SD Synthesis)

note: this is not a conventional spotlight, I discussed with p^2 and this is going to be focusing on the Ima vs. Empo game so no picture is needed

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-381430
Check out this replay between ima and Empo featuring a Swords Dance + Synthesis Tapu Bulu, a set that's been blowing up lately!

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis
- Swords Dance

This Tapu Bulu set has gained a lot of traction lately, as it is able to act as a powerful breaker with Swords Dance with still good longevity as a result of the recovery from Synthesis, Grassy Terrain, and Horn Leech. Due to its impressive bulk, Tapu Bulu is able to set up on some increasingly popular Pokemon in the metagame, such as Clefable, Zygarde, and many variants of Mega Latias. Grassium Z turns Horn Leech into a strong Z-Move that has even more power in Grassy Terrain, and Superpower hits key Steel-types like Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Kartana. In the replay above, Empo uses Tapu Bulu to completely decimate ima's team, as it is able to come in multiple times even after taking powerful super effective attacks from Heatran and Zygarde. ima had numerous Pokemon that wouldn't be nearly as threatened by the near-standard Assault Vest Tapu Bulu, so Empo was able to use this recent innovation to great effect. In fact, Tapu Bulu was so effective in this game that it was able to KO every single one of ima's Pokemon!

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Bulu doesnt need that much speed imo, 68 evs should suffice and the remaining spd evs allow it to live a max spa torn cane and gives it a near guaranteed chance of living heatrans magma after rocks too. If you got that spread from Empo I guess you can keep it since this spotlight is supposed to be more focused towards that game I think but theres still not much you gain from running the extra speed evs. Rest looks good 1/1

• Leftovers is usually preferred over Grassium Z, but since this is focused on this particular match, I think it’s fine not to mention lefties. Thanks for Leo to pointing this detail out to me.
• Use these evs: 224 HP / 216 SpD / 68 Spe. Otherwise Tapu Bulu has a chance to get OHKOed by Offensive tran after rocks.
• Wouldn’t say it can set up on Zygarde all that easily. Choice Band Iron Tail does big damage. At least say some variants of Zygarde.

QC 1/1
:blobglare: Leo don’t u ever snipe me again

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-381430
Check out this replay between ima and Empo featuring a Swords Dance + Synthesis Tapu Bulu, a set that's been blowing up lately!

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis
- Swords Dance

This Tapu Bulu set has gained a lot of traction lately, as it is able to act as a powerful breaker with Swords Dance while with still having good longevity as a result of the recovery from (edits optional-ish up to this point) Synthesis, Grassy Terrain recovery, and Horn Leech. Due to its impressive bulk, Tapu Bulu is able to set up on some of the increasingly popular Pokemon in the metagame, such as Clefable, Zygarde, and many variants of Mega Latias. Grassium Z turns Horn Leech into a powerful strong (repetition) Z move Z-Move that has even more power in Grassy Terrain, and Superpower hits key Steel-types like Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Kartana. In the replay above, Empo uses Tapu Bulu to completely decimate ima's team, as it is able to come in multiple times even after taking powerful super effective attacks from Heatran and Zygarde. ima had numerous Pokemon who that wouldn't be nearly as threatened by the near-standard Assault Vest Tapu Bulu, (missing a conjunction here, "so" seems like it'd make most sense but i can't rly tell) Empo was able to use this recent innovation to great effect. In fact, Tapu Bulu was so effective in this game that it was able to KO every single one of ima's Pokemon!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)