Team Fortress 2 - Join us at #lol

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It can be pretty difficult to figure out where you're going the first time you play on some larger maps... or Steel. Too bad nobody plays Steel, it's always been one of my favorites. :[

After a considerable amount of playing I was surprised on how much easier playing TF2 was on the computer than the 360. I instantly got the hang of the controls and started ranking up to the Top 5 every match. Although, this could be because I am already familiar with TF2 and have spent an extensive amount of time on other computer games. I rather play the computer's F2P version rather than the Live version due to the higher amount of content offered.

Another surprise I found while playing the game was how it didn't matter whether or not I paid for the game, the P2P players does not give F2P players a disadvantage. The only reason I'll consider paying for this game is to unlock all the achievements and gain accessories.

Well technically, the current amount of available gameplay-affecting weapon unlocks are greater than the backpack space for an F2P player. You could easily get all the "necessary" unlocks without maxing out as F2P though.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dan and I played a few rounds tonight (except he raged quit when I rolled him XD )

Lets have a big Smogon get together tomorrow night, if one of the admins could make an event that would be awesome. *Cough* Give me admins in the group so that I can organize it *Cough*

There were four of us including MrEsc and I going out of map with Wrangler on a Nighteam server. Looks like the glitch was patched already though >.<

What a shame, glitch 'sploiting can be good fun. Anyway, since people have been posting their Steam IDs, mine is triplecharmed, though I stick to Australian servers. You can add me or, in the case of the free Steam users, I'll add you if you like.

should probably just have a compendium of steam users in the first post or something...or you could just join the smogon group

not enough australian tf2 players on smogon, which is why i end up playing with some guys over on ozfortress. pub is boring when you win really quickly due to superior skill levels though, which is why we stopped stacking teams. i'm always up for a game, or i could help you get better at tf2. have somewhere in the area of 800-1000 hours clocked, it's not THAT much but i have a good understanding of the game. just don't ask me for 2fort strategies or i'll choke you

should probably just have a compendium of steam users in the first post or something...or you could just join the smogon group

not enough australian tf2 players on smogon, which is why i end up playing with some guys over on ozfortress. pub is boring when you win really quickly due to superior skill levels though, which is why we stopped stacking teams. i'm always up for a game, or i could help you get better at tf2. have somewhere in the area of 800-1000 hours clocked, it's not THAT much but i have a good understanding of the game. just don't ask me for 2fort strategies or i'll choke you
Hey, Thorns. I've been playing a lot of 24/7 instaspawn 2fort lately and I was wondering if you had any strategies for breaking down the enemy defenses and capping the intel. For some reason no one on 2fort servers ever wants to help me cap the intel and Pyros keep breaking my invisibility cloak. :(

Also, it's not immediately obvious who everyone in the Smogon group is, so if someone gets bored, they could put together a list of Smogon TF2 players and their Steam IDs \o/

Hey, Thorns. I've been playing a lot of 24/7 instaspawn 2fort lately and I was wondering if you had any strategies for breaking down the enemy defenses and capping the intel. For some reason no one on 2fort servers ever wants to help me cap the intel and Pyros keep breaking my invisibility cloak. :(

Also, it's not immediately obvious who everyone in the Smogon group is, so if someone gets bored, they could put together a list of Smogon TF2 players and their Steam IDs \o/
and you wonder why there is a twitch in my eye every time someone says '24/7 instaspawn 2fort'

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The problem with the 24/7 instaspawn 2fort is that it's much easier to defend than it is to attack, although many engi's do get bored missing out on all of the action in the basement. Most matches will devolve into a team deathmatch play just to get points. Your best chance at 2fort is if a group of people with mics (lord help you if it's all chat) work together to bust through one section and grab the intel. Expect to die when everyone on the other realizes that someone is completing the objective. Then once you die tell the location of the intel.

I use Dead ringer spy for 2fort if i need to grab the intel, so if someone assaults you early in grabbing the intel you can fake die and backstab them. Helps to take care of engi nests too.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My grandparents house has insane internet (2 MB per sec :D) so I'm downloading this. Noobishness here I come.

The problem with the 24/7 instaspawn 2fort is that it's much easier to defend than it is to attack, although many engi's do get bored missing out on all of the action in the basement. Most matches will devolve into a team deathmatch play just to get points. Your best chance at 2fort is if a group of people with mics (lord help you if it's all chat) work together to bust through one section and grab the intel. Expect to die when everyone on the other realizes that someone is completing the objective. Then once you die tell the location of the intel.

I use Dead ringer spy for 2fort if i need to grab the intel, so if someone assaults you early in grabbing the intel you can fake die and backstab them. Helps to take care of engi nests too.
lol I know why it sucks, I was joking =P But thanks anyway.

The biggest problem with 24/7 instaspawn 2fort probably isn't even most the 24/7 thing, since that's kind of intended to be deathmatchy, it's the instaspawn. If someone kills you and grabs the intel, you just hop right back in the saddle and catch them on their way out of the base. Since you spawn in your base and all, it makes defense much faster and easier than it helps offense.

That or it's 2fort being too defense-heavy. They're probs about equal.

I was really fond of 24/7 2fort servers when I just started out, but over time, I realized it was nothing but a long deathmatch where you killed whoever entered your base. 2fort is plagued with narrow choke points and huge sections of unnecessarily lengthy corridor around the intel. You're right when you say it's way too easy to defend because it is waaaaaaaaaay too easy to defend even with default respawn. Hell, even with a default 24 man server it's still really easy to guard.

If you wanted to try out similar maps like 2fort that keep a more dynamic flow, I'd recommend CTF_Turbine and CTF_Doublecross. Turbine is a lot smaller and still has a bit of that cramped up feeling, but its small size also allows for quicker and more exciting games. CTF_Doublecross is like a modern 2fort; it feels similar in size and the placement of everything is familiar, but the flank routes actually work and the choke points are rather wide and hard to guard.

You could also try CTF_Sawmill and CTF_Well, but they feel a bit too spread out and unfocused. It's easy to see that these maps weren't originally CTF maps when you play them.

I just dislike CTF in general. I feel like 60 seconds is WAY too long to defend a flag that's been dropped even less than halfway from your base. All it takes is a suicidal Scout or Spy to reset the timer and all your defense was for naught. Heavy or Pyro standing on the intel? They either get sniped, or the bullshit grab box allows the aforementioned Scout or Spy to grab it despite the Heavy's fat ass being parked on it. So frustrating.

Plus, there's way too much Engie turtling.

I love headshotting 5 engis in a row on Turbine pubs and then just watching their shit go down to Demo + Spy

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Lets have a big Smogon get together tomorrow night, if one of the admins could make an event that would be awesome. *Cough* Give me admins in the group so that I can organize it *Cough*
So are we still up to this?

I just dislike CTF in general. I feel like 60 seconds is WAY too long to defend a flag that's been dropped even less than halfway from your base. All it takes is a suicidal Scout or Spy to reset the timer and all your defense was for naught. Heavy or Pyro standing on the intel? They either get sniped, or the bullshit grab box allows the aforementioned Scout or Spy to grab it despite the Heavy's fat ass being parked on it. So frustrating.

Plus, there's way too much Engie turtling.
CTF is by far my least favorite game type, especially on 2fort, since it is the biggest campfest this side of CoD and not at all fun. Control Point and KotH are my 2 favorites, and Payload's always fun

i've always had the most fun with payload just because most of the maps are designed really well (the less spoken of gold rush 2 the better)

of course control point will always be the most important game mode for me, what with it being the default game mode for competitive tf2 (attack/defense is played on certain maps, gravel pit being chief among them and probowl seeing some play in rotations)

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
crossposting from the usergroup really quick as I figure most people aren't in it.

I have: Strange Direct Hit, Strange Natascha, Strange Pain Train
I badly want: Strange Minigun, Strange Sticky Launcher

let me know if we can make this happen!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)