SM OU Team OU Balanced (1800 pt)

Hi everyone, I'm trying to build an Ash greninja team.
I have an account +1800pt and I Just wanna try not to fall down

Well what I have so far is this little band made of:

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Revenge killer, wallbreaker sometimes, but mostly revenge killer and late game sweeper, as soon as he turns to ash form. I may prefer surf, coz I have bad react on missing, but I sometimes need Hydro pump, against sableye for example. Spikes are used mostly on obv switch, but i rarely use them. Probably I will go on ice beam to kill foe's garchomps.

Medicham (M) @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Wallbreaker early game.. Puts pressure on chansey, garchomp, ferrothorn and toxapex, appreciates spikes from greninja, and is another revenge killer with his fake out. I don't know if I should use Jump Kick over drain punch, sometimes i'd prefer having one, sometimes the other one. If hjk misses I get mad, this is still a fact!!

Skarmory (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Spikes
- Counter

I sometimes run shed shell on skarmory, sometimes rocky helmet, cause counter does not work always a lot.... Oh yes, two spikers is bettah dan one.. Actually I'm not very happy of this shiny girl.. She used to work better in past generations, am I wrong? Anyway she does her job kinda well, I can say. Defog and spikes are easy to setup

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Talking about the pink blob.. I love her. I need a response to the willowisps to medicham and thunder waves on greninja. Epic response to foe's greninja, and 1876383 other special attackers. I miss sometimes someone who can take knock off for her btw. Toxic is mostly for foe's tanks, like gastrodon. I sometimes use thunder wave, but when i do, i really miss toxic.

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Acid Armor
- Psychic
- Recover

The only damned response to foe's medicham I had. Not much to say.. If I get rid of the counter on the foe's team (any dark type, or another dude who can set up too, like sword dance scizor) he can one shot most of the other ou pokemon, even after only two calm minds.
Basically it is just a psychic bulky type i need for medicham and lopunny btw.

Garchomp (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

The only damned response to foe's heatran I had. Z move not really strong actually, maybe because of the non-stab. Oh, he StealthRocks also.. Umh he can kinda wall victini as well and the electric moves on predict. Earthquake, the strongest stab move, is for magerna, zard x not boosted, and heatran obv. Not the best pokemon of the team honestly. Water is wet, sky is blue, don't know what to say more, I love you.

Papparappaaaaa, this thim doesnt work.
Yea this is a mind-blowing news but that's it.

talking seriously, I have a second account (like.. Everyone) where i try my teams, instead losing my precious points on my first account (+13 when I win, -19400 --> back to hell whenever I lose, dafuq), well, with this team i usually win 2 or 3 out of 5 battles.. Can u help me fixing this crap? Thanks a lot!!

ps, help me, i wanna learn how to put the pictures of my pokemon, but i dont know how to D:

Last edited by a moderator:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions that are at least 3-4 lines for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: Opened

Last edited:
maybe try using wish over heal bell on the chansey to keep garchomp around for switching into heatran and possible heal medicham so u can use hjk over drain punch

Sup, i've been testing the team and i think there are some things you need to cover, you need a better water resist cause rain teams and gren ash + hazard support is very annoying for the team, Mega Mawile is also a big threat, Ferrothorn can also be very annoying if the opposite team has a safe check to medicham. Also Tapu Koko depending on the set, so i made a few changes that could help to improve the success of the team.

: I just changed spikes into Ice beam since i added a ferro, this is not necessary or you could also use gunk or toxic to lure grass types with a lot of spd investment.

: Well, i think there is no reason to not use high jump kick.

>>>
: Torna is a better defogger than skarmory and also is good for pivoting on the opposite team. I tried it with heat wave cause its helpful against ferrothorn and mawile which was very threatening and its good to ensure kills without risking hurricane miss.

>>>
: Ferro is a good water resist that fits well on the team, also offers hazard support that let you use an extra move with gren ash and t wave support is cool for a team without scarfer and especially good for medi which is quite slow and gren ash which will have chance to paraflinch. Also options like Tangrowth or Toxapex + changing one mon into a steel would work for sure

And i didn't touched anything on reuni and chomp, i've thought of more options for the team, like trying to rebuild it with tran and scarf lando, which would be better against mons like zard x but ig this is fine, i didnt want to destroy the gren balance ideax hope you find this useful.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/92d7ece262654553

Sup, i've been testing the team and i think there are some things you need to cover, you need a better water resist cause rain teams and gren ash + hazard support is very annoying for the team, Mega Mawile is also a big threat, Ferrothorn can also be very annoying if the opposite team has a safe check to medicham. Also Tapu Koko depending on the set, so i made a few changes that could help to improve the success of the team.

: I just changed spikes into Ice beam since i added a ferro, this is not necessary or you could also use gunk or toxic to lure grass types with a lot of spd investment.

: Well, i think there is no reason to not use high jump kick.

>>>
: Torna is a better defogger than skarmory and also is good for pivoting on the opposite team. I tried it with heat wave cause its helpful against ferrothorn and mawile which was very threatening and its good to ensure kills without risking hurricane miss.

>>>
: Ferro is a good water resist that fits well on the team, also offers hazard support that let you use an extra move with gren ash and t wave support is cool for a team without scarfer and especially good for medi which is quite slow and gren ash which will have chance to paraflinch. Also options like Tangrowth or Toxapex + changing one mon into a steel would work for sure

And i didn't touched anything on reuni and chomp, i've thought of more options for the team, like trying to rebuild it with tran and scarf lando, which would be better against mons like zard x but ig this is fine, i didnt want to destroy the gren balance ideax hope you find this useful.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/92d7ece262654553
I'm totally amazed! I'm gonna try it asap! U seriously did an amazing work dude, many many thanks

Hey Sundery, this is a pretty interesting team you have here. I'm an absolute sucker for Medicham + Greninja core that you've got here and I think that this is an interesting concept surrounding the core, but I'll be honest when I say that this team feels really awkward; by mixing semi-stall with bulky offence, you've made this core really hard to support because it relies so heavily on momentum, and your defensive core solely consists of passive, momentum draining mons that don't really add too much to the team other than the obligatory defensive presence on offence, which is what it seems like you've tried to build. Other than that, this team is incredibly pressured by the likes of Heatran and Tornadus, which takes advantage of nearly everything on this build and claims a pick whenever it comes in. Additionally, Serperior, Mega Gallade, Charizard-X, Protean Greninja and Tapu Lele are all able to take advantage of the passive defensive core and free turns to either cripple or straight up break past the entire team. Similarly, stuff like Celesteela, Tangrowth and Tapu Fini are able to really pressure this team thanks to their defensive utility and pretty much sit in front of this team and just pressure absolutely everything. Finally, this team has an absolutely horrible matchup versus stall, considering that nothing is able to consistently break past the core of Sableye / Chansey / Unaware mon consistently, nor can you break past many other common cores, including Helmet Tangrowth + Chansey reliably. So with that being said, here's what I'd recommend:

• >
While Skarmory + Chansey is an incredibly difficult defensive core to break past, it's simply too passive and too much of a momentum drain to really fit on this build, which is why I'd like to suggest replacing Skarmory for Tornadus. While you lose a considerable amount of defensive utility versus mons such as Mega Gallade, Offensive Landorus, and Mawile, Tornadus provides this team with an defensive excellent check to the likes of Kartana, Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth and Serperior, whilst also providing the team with a much more consistent form of hazard control, as well as providing this team with a consistent method to revenge pick incredibly annoying threats such as Mega Gallade, Mega Charizard X, Mega Lopunny and Keldeo. Additionally, Tornadus provides this team with a method to shut down bulkier mons such as Celesteela, Chansey and Toxapex, by preventing recovery and / or removing their items, whilst also preventing defog from opposing Tornadus and Tapu Fini, as well as preventing the likes of Magearna and Charizard from setting up. I've gone with a Rocky Helmet here, since having the ability to punish mons such as Landorus-T for clicking U-Turn is incredibly valuable in this meta, especially considering that it commonly puts Landorus into Ice Punch range for Medicham. The given EV spread allows Tornadus to survive a Greninja Ice Beam and a Mega Medicham Ice Punch from Full HP, while 2HKOing defensive Landorus with Hurricane. You might optionally like to use U-Turn over Taunt to provide your offensive core with momentum support, but I feel like the stall matchup is generally much more valuable.

• >
Considering that this team was still incredibly weak to the likes of Tornadus, Heatran and both Protean and Ash Greninja, I ended up replacing Chansey with a Specially Defensive Rotom. This change not only provided the team a primary water resist, which helps this team pivot around both Greninja matchups, but also improves the Mega Swampert and Keldeo matchups, which can be rather difficult for this team, particularly when this team's fighting resists are incredibly pressured by Hydro Pump. I've opted with a Specially Defensive set rather than a mixed defensive set here simply because the matchup versus Greninja, Tornadus and Heatran was incredibly difficult, as well as the fact that Tornadus is able to cover the threats that Rotom is unable to, including the aforementioned Tapu Bulu and Kartana.

• >
While Reuniclus serve as an interesting wincondition, it simply did not solve any of this team's major issues, so I ended up replacing Reuniclus for a stallbreaker Magearna. This change not only provided the team with an excellent wincondition versus stall, but it also enabled this team to break past the likes of Chansey, Quagsire, and Sableye, whilst also providing this team with a crucial answer to offensive Psychics such as Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele, as well as a dark resist to use alongside Rotom to adequately check Ash Greninja. Now I'll actually diverging the rate into two sections here, since there are two sets of changes you can follow. The first change follows your original team structure much more closely; by making Magearna leftovers alongside a Rockium chomp, you retain your fantastic offensive breaker in Garchomp, whilst also benefiting from cm split Magearna. The given EV spread on this variant enables Magearna to avoid the 2HKO from Mega Alakazam's Focus Blast and the OHKO from Scarf Landorus's Earthquake, while still outspeeding Mega Mawile and hitting as hard as possible.

• @
    fairium-z--held.png
Alternatively, you might like to try running a Fairium Z on Magearna, which not only enables you to break past Tapu Bulu, Chansey and Ferrothorn more consistently, but it also enables Magearna to run more bulk, as you are now able to achieve many more picks without having to heavily invest in Special Attack. The following spread also achieves similar benchmarks to the set above, however, the special attack investment allows you to OHKO specially defensive Tapu Bulu (with Twinkle Tackle) after a boost, while dumping the remaining EVs into your special defence, which allows you to check Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele much more consistently. If you do choose to take this route, you must also make the following changes, which would also change the team quite drastically at the benefit of having a more consistent stall matchup:

• rocky-helmet.png
    >
    rockium-z--held.png
While I don't believe this is a necessary change, it does bring many fantastic benefits to use alongside Magearna. For instance, it vastly improves this team's considerably shaky Heatran, Rotom-Wash, Kartana, and Mega Medicham / Gallade matchups, which comes at the added benefit of dissuading stuff like Landorus-T, Rotom-W, Tapu Koko from pivoting on Landorus and stuff like Mega Mawile, Charizard-X and Heracross from attacking due to the combination of Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet, which inflicts approximately 35% of HP on contact. Additionally, you're also able to punish stuff like Tornadus, Rotom-W, Landorus-T and Zapdos from removing hazards (as well as generally forcing other stuff out), as you're able to inflict them with Toxic, severely limiting their general longevity throughout a match. Finally, Garchomp also provides this team with a method to punish the likes of Mega Scizor, Kartana and Ferrothorn through Flamethrower, which is absolutely fantastic for this team, as it has no other real method of punishing free switch-ins, but if you feel like you don't need it, you can always opt to run Roar instead, however you generally want to punish Kartana, considering how big of a threat it is to this team.

• @
    metronome.png
Okay, so I'm going to backtrack here for a second, but if you do opt to follow this series of changes, then running a Helmet Tornadus is unnecessary alongside a Helmet Garchomp, so opting for an offensive Metronome variant here would help a few notably weak matchups. For instance, it would vastly improve the team's stall matchup, which is currently incredibly reliant on Magearna alone, so running something that can reliably cripple the likes of Jirachi, Heart Swap Magearna and the rare (in the context of stall) Toxapex for Magearna in order for it to break said archetype. The given EVs still allow it to survive an Ice Beam from Protean Greninja at full HP. e: I've gone with a Metronome here as it allows you to consistently spam your moves without any drawbacks and giving you a notable power boost after several turns, which is important as the lack of chip damage is incredibly notable when playing around threats such as Kartana and Choice Banded Tapu Bulu.

Finally, just a bit of housekeeping:

• High Jump Kick > Drain Punch
Yeah I know that missing really sucks but you kinda want the damage output on Medi so you don't miss out on crucial KO's and get OHKO'd or heavily chipped in the process.

Rockium Garchomp + Helmet Torn

Click on teams for the import!

Helmet Garchomp + Metronome Torn
That should be everything! If you have any questions, feel free to hmu on discord at curi#2758 or mail me on the forums. Good luck with the team!

Last edited:
Hey Sundery, this is a pretty interesting team you have here. I'm an absolute sucker for Medicham + Greninja core that you've got here and I think that this is an interesting concept surrounding the core, but I'll be honest when I say that this team feels really awkward; by mixing semi-stall with bulky offence, you've made this core really hard to support because it relies so heavily on momentum, and your defensive core solely consists of passive, momentum draining mons that don't really add too much to the team other than the obligatory defensive presence on offence, which is what it seems like you've tried to build. Other than that, this team is incredibly pressured by the likes of Heatran and Tornadus, which takes advantage of nearly everything on this build and claims a pick whenever it comes in. Additionally, Serperior, Mega Gallade, Charizard-X, Protean Greninja and Tapu Lele are all able to take advantage of the passive defensive core and free turns to either cripple or straight up break past the entire team. Similarly, stuff like Celesteela, Tangrowth and Tapu Fini are able to really pressure this team thanks to their defensive utility and pretty much sit in front of this team and just pressure absolutely everything. Finally, this team has an absolutely horrible matchup versus stall, considering that nothing is able to consistently break past the core of Sableye / Chansey / Unaware mon consistently, nor can you break past many other common cores, including Helmet Tangrowth + Chansey reliably. So with that being said, here's what I'd recommend:

• >
While Skarmory + Chansey is an incredibly difficult defensive core to break past, it's simply too passive and too much of a momentum drain to really fit on this build, which is why I'd like to suggest replacing Skarmory for Tornadus. While you lose a considerable amount of defensive utility versus mons such as Mega Gallade, Offensive Landorus, and Mawile, Tornadus provides this team with an defensive excellent check to the likes of Kartana, Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth and Serperior, whilst also providing the team with a much more consistent form of hazard control, as well as providing this team with a consistent method to revenge pick incredibly annoying threats such as Mega Gallade, Mega Charizard X, Mega Lopunny and Keldeo. Additionally, Tornadus provides this team with a method to shut down bulkier mons such as Celesteela, Chansey and Toxapex, by preventing recovery and / or removing their items, whilst also preventing defog from opposing Tornadus and Tapu Fini, as well as preventing the likes of Magearna and Charizard from setting up. I've gone with a Rocky Helmet here, since having the ability to punish mons such as Landorus-T for clicking U-Turn is incredibly valuable in this meta, especially considering that it commonly puts Landorus into Ice Punch range for Medicham. The given EV spread allows Tornadus to survive a Greninja Ice Beam and a Mega Medicham Ice Punch from Full HP, while 2HKOing defensive Landorus with Hurricane. You might optionally like to use U-Turn over Taunt to provide your offensive core with momentum support, but I feel like the stall matchup is generally much more valuable.

• >
Considering that this team was still incredibly weak to the likes of Tornadus, Heatran and both Protean and Ash Greninja, I ended up replacing Chansey with a Specially Defensive Rotom. This change not only provided the team a primary water resist, which helps this team pivot around both Greninja matchups, but also improves the Mega Swampert and Keldeo matchups, which can be rather difficult for this team, particularly when this team's fighting resists are incredibly pressured by Hydro Pump. I've opted with a Specially Defensive set rather than a mixed defensive set here simply because the matchup versus Greninja, Tornadus and Heatran was incredibly difficult, as well as the fact that Tornadus is able to cover the threats that Rotom is unable to, including the aforementioned Tapu Bulu and Kartana.

• >
While Reuniclus serve as an interesting wincondition, it simply did not solve any of this team's major issues, so I ended up replacing Reuniclus for a stallbreaker Magearna. This change not only provided the team with an excellent wincondition versus stall, but it also enabled this team to break past the likes of Chansey, Quagsire, and Sableye, whilst also providing this team with a crucial answer to offensive Psychics such as Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele, as well as a dark resist to use alongside Rotom to adequately check Ash Greninja. Now I'll actually diverging the rate into two sections here, since there are two sets of changes you can follow. The first change follows your original team structure much more closely; by making Magearna leftovers alongside a Rockium chomp, you retain your fantastic offensive breaker in Garchomp, whilst also benefiting from cm split Magearna. The given EV spread on this variant enables Magearna to avoid the 2HKO from Mega Alakazam's Focus Blast and the OHKO from Scarf Landorus's Earthquake, while still outspeeding Mega Mawile and hitting as hard as possible.

• @
    fairium-z--held.png
Alternatively, you might like to try running a Fairium Z on Magearna, which not only enables you to break past Tapu Bulu, Chansey and Ferrothorn more consistently, but it also enables Magearna to run more bulk, as you are now able to achieve many more picks without having to heavily invest in Special Attack. The following spread also achieves similar benchmarks to the set above, however, the special attack investment allows you to OHKO specially defensive Tapu Bulu (with Twinkle Tackle) after a boost, while dumping the remaining EVs into your special defence, which allows you to check Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele much more consistently. If you do choose to take this route, you must also make the following changes, which would also change the team quite drastically at the benefit of having a more consistent stall matchup:

• rocky-helmet.png
    >
    rockium-z--held.png
While I don't believe this is a necessary change, it does bring many fantastic benefits to use alongside Magearna. For instance, it vastly improves this team's considerably shaky Heatran, Rotom-Wash, Kartana, and Mega Medicham / Gallade matchups, which comes at the added benefit of dissuading stuff like Landorus-T, Rotom-W, Tapu Koko from pivoting on Landorus and stuff like Mega Mawile, Charizard-X and Heracross from attacking due to the combination of Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet, which inflicts approximately 35% of HP on contact. Additionally, you're also able to punish stuff like Tornadus, Rotom-W, Landorus-T and Zapdos from removing hazards (as well as generally forcing other stuff out), as you're able to inflict them with Toxic, severely limiting their general longevity throughout a match. Finally, Garchomp also provides this team with a method to punish the likes of Mega Scizor, Kartana and Ferrothorn through Flamethrower, which is absolutely fantastic for this team, as it has no other real method of punishing free switch-ins, but if you feel like you don't need it, you can always opt to run Roar instead, however you generally want to punish Kartana, considering how big of a threat it is to this team.

• @
    metronome.png
Okay, so I'm going to backtrack here for a second, but if you do opt to follow this series of changes, then running a Helmet Tornadus is unnecessary alongside a Helmet Garchomp, so opting for an offensive Metronome variant here would help a few notably weak matchups. For instance, it would vastly improve the team's stall matchup, which is currently incredibly reliant on Magearna alone, so running something that can reliably cripple the likes of Jirachi, Heart Swap Magearna and the rare (in the context of stall) Toxapex for Magearna in order for it to break said archetype. The given EVs still allow it to survive an Ice Beam from Protean Greninja at full HP. e: I've gone with a Metronome here as it allows you to consistently spam your moves without any drawbacks and giving you a notable power boost after several turns, which is important as the lack of chip damage is incredibly notable when playing around threats such as Kartana and Choice Banded Tapu Bulu.

Finally, just a bit of housekeeping:

• High Jump Kick > Drain Punch
Yeah I know that missing really sucks but you kinda want the damage output on Medi so you don't miss out on crucial KO's and get OHKO'd or heavily chipped in the process.

Rockium Garchomp + Helmet Torn

Click on teams for the import!

Helmet Garchomp + Metronome Torn
That should be everything! If you have any questions, feel free to hmu on discord at curi#2758 or mail me on the forums. Good luck with the team!
Awesome analysis!! Many problems of this team occur cause I was trying to build a team with no legendary pokemons, for a friend of mine who hates using them!
I tried the team mostly cause u caught my attention with this perfect rate, and I can really say it has a lovely harmony, i mean, is nice to play with. Thanks for everything!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)